AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-10-05, 17:41   Link #61
dxgarten

Episode 01 screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 20:05   Link #62
JarOfMayo

I liked episode 1. You could say and I would agree that they rushed to get Lelouch in a position of "Acquired ability" like... Amuro(orGundam main) getting Gundam(or w/e), or shonen hero getting super power. Except..... uhhh no clue whats coming up next considering the end of the episode.

Nonetheless interesting. I would have never guessed that is what Geass power was... lol

AHhhh I notice the nationalism too but I don't mind. Nationalism is really a tyrant unchecked and at its max, but is useful (in moderate degrees of stance) in many instances. Whether it be recalling national service, sports, international competitions... etc.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 20:16   Link #63
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Episode 1 Screen Captures & Summary

Hmm, I went back and rewatched the first half of the episode, and
Spoiler for Speculation concerning Lelouch's fate:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-08 at 05:56.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 20:25   Link #64
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
Hmm, I went back and rewatched the first half of the episode, and
Spoiler for Speculation concerning Lelouch's fate:
Spoiler for Speculation~:

Hopefully some answers next week
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 20:29   Link #65
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

The power becomes the downfall.

I'm not going ot use THAT cliched line.

But you could say that our anti-hero has been given just enough rope to hang himself.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 00:12   Link #66
kauldron26
Med Student

im really looking forward to this... but wutsup with all the buzz about it being Anti-American?? is it true?? please give me an educated unbiased answer...
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 02:40   Link #67
solomon

Fansubs

anyone know whos subbing this (or is up to doing so) cause this looks like itll be a hell of a lotta fun
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 04:40   Link #68
fignae
floofer. floof.

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Spoiler:
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 05:35   Link #69
solomon

ho boy

just saw the special, now im really looking forward to the show. The special itself was pretty silly but a good commercial. Anyways, Takeda and the network must really want this thing to suceed, i don't know of many animated series (mainly late night ones) that get promo specials like this, heres hoping taniguchi and okouchi make a good story.
Old 2006-10-06, 05:39   Link #70
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Spoiler for Episode 1:
There is no way in hell he is dead. He haven't even piloted Lancelot.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 06:13   Link #71
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
im really looking forward to this... but wutsup with all the buzz about it being Anti-American?? is it true?? please give me an educated unbiased answer...
It's not anti-American.

The crux of the story is that the British Empire has come back in a big way, has already bowled America slap over, and used it as a springboard across the Pacific to conquer everything west of it. So it's not any more unamerican than, say, Nadia, which took place in an alternate universe where Japan won WW2.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 07:39   Link #72
fignae
floofer. floof.

Spoiler for ep 1, in answer to Nightengale:
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 12:38   Link #73
BluWacky
尻の竜

It's Gundam ADHD!

I liked ep. 1 even if it is soooooo incredibly rushed. It's typical Sunrise slickness; hopefully it won't be creepy incest-tastic like My-Otome turned out to be...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 12:47   Link #74
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Certainly it seems anti-white. Certainly that's disturbing, in the present political context. But I would find it even more disturbing if the empire was Chinese. The idea of a resurgent British Empire is so ludicrous that I don't have to take it seriously.

I'm wondering: do you think there could be a show in the US featuring the US being taken over by Japan or China? If not, then I think it's fair to complain about the apparent racism here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 13:31   Link #75
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I'm wondering: do you think there could be a show in the US featuring the US being taken over by Japan or China? If not, then I think it's fair to complain about the apparent racism here.
I haven't seen a show like that but Philip K. Dick (author of A Scanner Darkly and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) did write "A Man in High Castle".

The plot of it deals with the fact that the Axis Powers won World War II and the United States is partitioned between Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany.

It's quite inventive, by the way and quite contrary to the campy-cheesy theatrics of the Evil European Power that Britannia is portrayed as in Code Geass.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 15:45   Link #76
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Impressive first ep but the biggest issue I had was the lack of likeable characters. I didn't take to Lelouch much and C.C. doesn't really do or say anything but she's interesting enough with her otherworldly secrets. I like Karen though, she was cool, despite so little airtime.

The nationalistic vibe was about as subtle as a headbutt and they really overdid trying to establish the evil empire stuff IMHO. We don't have to see soldiers gunning down the elderly, handicapped and children to understand corruption and evil.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 15:58   Link #77
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I don't think that we should be taking it too seriously. Clovis is, to me, more of a buffoon than a credible villain. Suzaku, who is a collaborator, seems to be much more likable than the cold Lelouch. Of course, with those characters being almost comically based on Kira and Athrun from Gundam Seed, I am just not sure whether to take Taniguchi up on his word.

In any case, Code Geass is NOT Zipang, where such matters of nationalism were presented in a more mature manner.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 16:55   Link #78
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I don't think anyone will take Code Geass too seriously, but it kind of annoyed me that when I reflected on the episode the overwhelming feeling was Nippon Banzai!.

But like you say it's Taniguchi and it's hard to dismiss his sentiments, although I do think he's just here because he's a reliable helmsman and Sunrise need a new franchise.

But don't get me wrong I was very impressed. I hope Code Geass evolves into a great series, especially the whole mystery around C.C which is where the real story is (I hope).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 17:06   Link #79
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex

But like you say it's Taniguchi and it's hard to dismiss his sentiments, although I do think he's just here because he's a reliable helmsman and Sunrise need a new franchise.
could i have missed something that the man said in the interview? i just took the entire possible "imperialsim/nationlist" angle to be just a another (alibeit unique) gimmick on a robot show just to help gain immediate attention.
Old 2006-10-06, 20:49   Link #80
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Personally, I have no real problem against it's nationalism/patriotism underlying themes. It's really not that much different from other war/mecha animes, though Nippon Banzai!! does hold much more umph~ than say, Sieg Zeon

Overall, I guess my only problem so far in Code Geass is how the character motions and visuals seem really...exaggerating. I suppose it relates to CLAMP's trademark insect-noid bodies that is starting to join the realms of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure in weirdness, but aside from that, Code Geass is giving me a good vibe right now. The cheese villians are overall boring, (( Clovis and those 2 Nightmare pilots )) but it's so obvious that the real villians are not them, but who the real villians are spark me a little. Will it be King Lelouch or Lelouch's dad or some other mystery guy?

I hope there's more to Lelouch's Eye of Geass than just "obey me, peasants, I am the son of your true king, and throw me your life for me as you are my dogs" aka power to magnify patriotism or something. At least that's the vibe I'm getting when he gave the order at his real name, Lelouch Vie Britiannia.

My biggest worry is Batman Lelouch. WHAT'S WITH THAT MASK/HELMET AND MANTEL!!?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote