AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 10:08   Link #341
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
But would she be able to change the terms of the contract between Void mage and Void familiar, though? I'm honestly curious about that...

...and I can't seem to see Arf or Yuuno using Derflinger. XP
Remember , Fate uses Plasma Zanber- basically a Lightsabre crossed with a Zweihander . I wouldn't be if Arf shares Fate's swordmanship skills.

And Derflinger could easily be another Lost Logia too. I'd imagine Arf speculating whether Derflinger was meant to be a Unison Device....
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 10:10   Link #342
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Remember , Fate uses Plasma Zanber- basically a Lightsabre crossed with a Zweihander . I wouldn't be if Arf shares Fate's swordmanship skills.

And Derflinger could easily be another Lost Logia too. I'd imagine Arf speculating whether Derflinger was meant to be a Unison Device....
...in a crossover I guess these things are possible, but it seems too convoluted.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:15   Link #343
novalysis

Quote:
...in a crossover I guess these things are possible, but it seems too convoluted.
Have you ever read some of the Spacebattles ZnT crossovers? Try Unfamiliar , for example. Again , a little off topic , but I personally think it can be pulled off without overwhelming the reader , provided that such things are revealed slowly , and with a well reasoned buildup and foreshadowing.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:20   Link #344
Lycodrake

Quote:
Have you ever read some of the Spacebattles ZnT crossovers? Try Unfamiliar , for example. Again , a little off topic , but I personally think it can be pulled off without overwhelming the reader , provided that such things are revealed slowly , and with a well reasoned buildup and foreshadowing.
I'm avoiding Spacebattles, because all I've been told is that people there would eat me a live, spit my carcass back out, and then mutilate my corpse in a number of ways. Or something like that.

As for ZnT crossovers, I've read a handful of them, though the one I remember best is/was Hill of Swords.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:24   Link #345
novalysis

Quote:
I'm avoiding Spacebattles, because all I've been told is that people there would eat me a live, spit my carcass back out, and then mutilate my corpse in a number of ways. Or something like that.

As for ZnT crossovers, I've read a handful of them, though the one I remember best is/was Hill of Swords.
Yes , it seems so. Spacebattles is quite harsh in terms of judgement criteria , though the good thing is that if you chose to anonymously view the fics , most of the fics are of very high , Sturgeon's law defying quality.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:25   Link #346
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Yes , it seems so. Spacebattles is quite harsh in terms of judgement criteria , though the good thing is that if you chose to anonymously view the fics , most of the fics are of very high , Sturgeon's law defying quality.
I honestly don't post there because there's a few people I don't like and don't like me.

Just better for everyone involved.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 10:28   Link #347
Sunder the Gold

Brief off-topic bit:

Mind-control and mind-rape are two different things. Mind-rape is an assault that inflicts physical or emotion pain on a target.

Mind-control can be used to date-rape, but that's nothing like what that one angel was doing to Asuka, which is where the phrase came from. Also, this mislabeling implies that all powers of mind control will only be used for rape or other malicious purposes.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:41   Link #348
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
But would she be able to change the terms of the contract between Void mage and Void familiar, though? I'm honestly curious about that...

...and I can't seem to see Arf or Yuuno using Derflinger. XP
I don't see the problem here, the Gandalrfr runes can make Derflinger or any other weapon perfectly usable, i agree that it'll look weird on Arf but by the mere nature of the familiar cotnract is absolutely plausible.

Maybe changing the weapon? With the Gandalfr powers Arf could gain expertise over any object created with the intention of being a weapon after all.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:42   Link #349
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yes, Derf would have no logical place in the story. That's something that needs to be worked around.
I covered this in the earlier discussion on this thread.

But if Yuuno has to become the Gandalfr instead of the Windalfr to avoid changing the underlying setting too much, Derflinger could be a shield. Combined with Gandalfr runes, Yuuno could pull off Captain America tricks.

Quote:
Maybe working with Colbert to boot (hoo boy would those two have stories to share).
Yeah, Colbert and Yuuno would be easy friends.

But the merits of using Yuuno rather than Arf for the crossover:

@ Yuuno becomes the familiar that he once seemed to be, to his embarrassment

@ He reprises his role as the magical teacher of a girl with a staggering amount of power and a great talent for blasting things.

@ He can get into pseudo-harem hijinks with the various girls without aggravating the situation by being lecherous. And by trying to stay loyal to a certain girl back home.

@ He's fully human, which so far has been the only sort of Void Familiar summoned. We don't even know if a Nanoha type Familiar even can be transferred to someone else.

@ The TSAB is going to be more serious about searching for and retrieving him.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:52   Link #350
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Will they do, "Shoot first, ask questions later"
Old 2012-01-06, 11:54   Link #351
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
@ He can get into pseudo-harem hijinks with the various girls without aggravating the situation by being lecherous. And by trying to stay loyal to a certain girl back home.
I see this more as a detriment rather than a merit as the original source was too saturated of this, but that's only my personal preferences.(i'm the only one tired of reading about Yuuno involved in harem hijinks? C'mon his character is much more interesting than that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
@ He's fully human, which so far has been the only sort of Void Familiar summoned. We don't even know if a Nanoha type Familiar even can be transferred to someone else.
Zafira disagree with you, also that's a blurr point because we don't know the exact neture of familiar cotnracts in the nanohaverse and the Void familiar cotnract is also rather ambiguous, which is an advantage here because a writer has more freedom to work with that.

You other points are mooth, tough.

Still i think the concept os using Arf is refreshing because it will turn ZnT in a concept different of the overused "Boy meets girl with harem and stuff" story xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-06, 12:02   Link #352
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

My problem with giving Arf Derf is that it seems, well, lazy. Arf doesn't need Derf, she's a hand-to-hand fighter. There's no reason for her to go into town and buy Derf, and the only reason to do so would be to make sure Derf is there because it was there in the original plot, and keeping him there makes it easier to keep the status quo.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:05   Link #353
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
My problem with giving Arf Derf is that it seems, well, lazy. Arf doesn't need Derf, she's a hand-to-hand fighter. There's no reason for her to go into town and buy Derf, and the only reason to do so would be to make sure Derf is there because it was there in the original plot, and keeping him there makes it easier to keep the status quo.
Yep, that's exactly what i mean, it's plausible but it'll look weird on her. Still, thanks to her newfound void familiar powers Arf could have any weapon so you can go creative with that guys. A knife? A bar? New metal gauntlets? a pair of tonfas? A chain? ...the possibilities are just endeless xD!

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-06, 12:12   Link #354
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The body itself is a natural weapon if used properly.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:16   Link #355
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
The body itself is a natural weapon if used properly.
We know but i think we need to make good use of the Gandalfr powers.

Hmmm... what about this? Arf didn't have a "default weapon". Instead, she uses various weapons through the story as the situation needs or circuntsnaces put the weapon on her hands. Arf seems to be quite the flexible fighter(not a surprises taking into account that she was also trained by Lynith) so i guess it'll be boring to have her stuck with only one weapon xD

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-06, 12:26   Link #356
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
We know but i think we need to make good use of the Gandalfr powers.
*shrug* Why? This again seems to be something done only because the original did it too.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:32   Link #357
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
*shrug* Why? This again seems to be something done only because the original did it too.
Well, Derflinger can be avoided as it lacks a pivotal role in the story but the Gandalfr powers are in fact something important. Even if Arf didn't have a default weapon i'd be good and probably even necessary to give insight ot the existence of these powers as they will play an important role later.

Remeber: Mastery over ANY object created with the intention of being a weapon.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-06, 12:34   Link #358
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Cross the bridge when you get there. If Gandalfr powers become important later on, have them appear later on. In my opinion, forcing these kinds of things usually leads to a degradation of the work as a whole.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:36   Link #359
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Cross the bridge when you get there. If Gandalfr powers become important later on, have them appear later on. In my opinion, forcing these kinds of things usually leads to a degradation of the work as a whole.
Is not about forcing those, it's more to make their existence clear, otherwise they'll look like an reactor asspull when used at that crucial moment xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-06, 12:39   Link #360
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

We already have Colbert who knows this stuff to make their existence clear without forcing Arf out of character. And even if they conveniently appear at crucial moments... wait, isn't that how the original did it too? Duel with Guiche, staff of destruction, airplane, the runes always have appeared at asspull moments. Now they're just going to come a bit later.

Besides, everybody who reads this story will already know of the runes' existence and purpose. Can't asspull what people are already expecting.