Notices

Old 2007-11-13, 17:01   Link #841
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Most computers are set up to try to boot first from the optical drive. If you watch carefully when you boot, you should see the optical drive spin up as the computer's BIOS tries to boot from that drive. Once the BIOS fails to find a boot sector on the optical medium, it falls over to booting from the next device in its list, usually the hard drive or a USB memory stick. If you hit the appropriate key at boot to enter the BIOS setup screens (usually F2 or Del), you can see the order in which devices are booted. You can even change the order, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing.
True, mine does this too. Since after the first 2-3 screens, it gets to that boot from disk crap. So I gotta remove any disk from my dvd drive before I start my comp.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 17:11   Link #842
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Daniel & Aoie

Most modern Basic Input Output System's have boot selection on F8. (as a shortcut) In old Phoenix bios systems you need to go to Advanced BIOS Features. Should you play with it, I recommend you never use your HDD as the first boot device, anything else is better, like say: floppy, card reader, cd/dvd etc.

Depending on your CD/DVD device you may experience slow down at startup, either in windows or more likely while loading. What's happening is that old ones (some of them) will send a interrupt flag. Meaning: the processor is asked to cease and desist all activity and handle the device. (of course old junk usually needs 2-3 seconds to get ready anyway) This sort of thing also happens when you would insert/eject things, in Xp slowdowns or the temporary freeze is common place. If you've experience similar things, and this is why you are worried, know it's perfectly normal.
Old 2007-11-13, 18:30   Link #843
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
@ Daniel & Aoie

Most modern Basic Input Output System's have boot selection on F8. (as a shortcut) In old Phoenix bios systems you need to go to Advanced BIOS Features. Should you play with it, I recommend you never use your HDD as the first boot device, anything else is better, like say: floppy, card reader, cd/dvd etc.

Depending on your CD/DVD device you may experience slow down at startup, either in windows or more likely while loading. What's happening is that old ones (some of them) will send a interrupt flag. Meaning: the processor is asked to cease and desist all activity and handle the device. (of course old junk usually needs 2-3 seconds to get ready anyway) This sort of thing also happens when you would insert/eject things, in Xp slowdowns or the temporary freeze is common place. If you've experience similar things, and this is why you are worried, know it's perfectly normal.
I remember playing around with the bios earlier on, and like you said I did set my HD as my first boot device rather than other hardwares like floppy or CD. I remember I had troubles with this too, so I just adjusted it to my brothers and I took the liberty to just left it that way.

--
My question - Ok I didn't think this was possible. My youngest sister is in that "OMG, I GOT A BOYFRIEND" stage and is on the phone for like 4-7 hours a day depending on certain circumstances like "parents", and for some reason she don't even know this guy personally, it's those social networking sites like atown, myspace and facebook, and Maple Story, yes Maple Story. But now she uses "internet acronyms" now, like "jk" and stuff. I wasn't born in the 90s but has the internet cross so much boundaries, it's even used in phone conservations?

I use the phone myself to talk to my friends and such but I know I don't use such slangs. I guess it's just me and my age, lol i'm getting old now ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-11-13, 21:54   Link #844
Kyomi
What do I know?

Actually there is this guy I work with that keeps going "WTF" and "LOL" so I guess we have reached that point...not sure how else to describe it besides sad, though I honestly just hope it's just a trend or something and it'll go away eventually. Though it doesn't look like it.
Old 2007-11-14, 07:27   Link #845
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I heard/used "lol", "gg" and few others I think. There's not really a problem with using it, since they sound right as words.
Old 2007-11-14, 17:38   Link #846
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Hearing someone say "Lol" or "gee-gee" isn't too bad and actually sounds a little cute, but I've heard folks say "Double-you tee eff" and that is just clunky awkward.

My problem with someone saying "lol" is that it means "laughing out loud" and if you really are laughing out loud, then why don't I hear any actual laughter. As a result it sounds sarcastic to me. It is as if someone is saying, "Sure you're funny, but not enough that I'm actually laughing about it, so I'll just pretend that I might have laughed."

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 18:09   Link #847
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i say "ROFL" (yea that pronunciation) pretty often around my friends...they all usually end up laughing with me XD
it depends on the tone of your voice i guess ~~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 18:27   Link #848
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

lol NSW, "lol" is 50% a sarcastic laughter. How were you reading it until now?
I always pronounce ROFL as "rolf".
Old 2007-11-14, 23:06   Link #849
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Darn. I only use "lol" when I actually laugh at someone's post. I've been using it incorrectly all this time. lol.

(There! I just used the word correctly for the first time, though it feels weird.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-11-15, 01:16   Link #850
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Darn. I only use "lol" when I actually laugh at someone's post. I've been using it incorrectly all this time. lol.

(There! I just used the word correctly for the first time, though it feels weird.)
I don't use it myself for it's intended purpose as "laugh out loud" too myself. I use it for a expression of laughter ^_^

-Nov 16 update -

I've notice that each of the forums I go to, there's many many registered users but once you visit that forum for like a year plus, you only really notice it's a closely knitted forum of really only like 25-35 users. Or maybe it's just the sub threads I visit >.<

Of course there are exception like the most popular sub threads on those sites.

-- another one

My sister (the oldest, which is 18) is BSing her way through Highschool now, she's skipped like 7 days of school, which 2 of them were legit, cause I had to take her to the dentist and doctor. Today she also skipped, she says she's sick, BS! She's in my room now on the other computer using the internet. What is a good way to simply saying "quit skipping school, it "actually" does you some good to go to school", but I think cause she finally found a boyfriend again, she's being rebellious again, aghh... this pisses me off. I'm the easy going type, I let them make their own mistakes and laugh at their faces cause they didn't listen to me in the first place.

A bit more and she won't be able to appeal for her credits for her 4 classes, and she's a freaking idiot, she can't be failing any more classes, cause she needs at least 28 credit to pass highschool and she's used her 4 spares already, so basically she's running on an empty tank.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-11-16 at 14:01.
Old 2007-11-17, 13:00   Link #851
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

With regards to your first. Many many users is not a measurement. vBulletin -as a example- has several settings that would easily give the illusion of a big board when it's really quite a small one. Also, a forum/board what-have-you, needs some substance not users. There is not much point in it being big.

As for the second. There is only one sure way: fake a electric problem; no need to say anything special, just make sure every electric appliance in the house is indisposed 1 hour before you/she go to sleep, and up to the next day. If there's no radio/tv/internet they'll usually go loafing around in school. Once they do excuses are invalidated.

See dangerous main power switches not located in your house. You are advised that this is very very dangerous since you may accidentally shut down the wrong house. Make sure to wear protective cloak, glasses and fake id. (like the idiots from the power company who come to fix my working power supply once every 3 months)

Q. How is AnimeSuki written and pronounced.

I thick it's written in camel case, as in "AnimeSuki" as opposed to "Animesuki" or "Anime Suki". But anyway the exact intended pronunciation is still lost to me.
Old 2007-11-17, 17:42   Link #852
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Q. How is AnimeSuki written and pronounced.

I thick it's written in camel case, as in "AnimeSuki" as opposed to "Animesuki" or "Anime Suki". But anyway the exact intended pronunciation is still lost to me.
As you say, we use camel case to spell it as one word with two capitals. AnimeSuki is pronounced like the two Japanese words "anime suki." I'm sure you know how to pronounce anime. The "suki" part is pronouced "skee." Or at least that is how I usually hear in pronounced since in tokyo-ben they usually have a very abbreviated "u" sound. People in other parts of Japan might pronounce it "su-kee."

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-11-17 at 17:53.
Old 2007-11-19, 02:07   Link #853
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I don't remember where I heard this from but I distinctly remember hearing that "popping your hands/fingers can damage it overtime, and any good conclusive evidence to this"?

Old 2007-11-19, 02:19   Link #854
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

*looks at his swollen knuckles*

Yup. It does damage your fingers over time. But I'm exaggerating slightly. Bottomline, don't pop your knuckles -- it's not good for you. In my case though, it's a lifelong habit I find hard to break. It does seem to loosen up my fingers, especially if the weather is cold.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 02:42   Link #855
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

According to my dad, cracking your knuckles makes them more "thick" as he says it, and he always told me to not do it (but i did it anyways and now it's a habbit)

I dont know if it actually has deleterious effects or not, but I guess it does
Old 2007-11-19, 05:30   Link #856
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I don't remember where I heard this from but I distinctly remember hearing that "popping your hands/fingers can damage it overtime, and any good conclusive evidence to this"?
Just don't do it too often...

Old 2007-11-19, 11:10   Link #857
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i had a question about an elbow condition or whatever it is called
it is something i was born with and i was wondering what it was called

normally when you stretch your arms your elbow stops it from stretching too far so that your arm is a straight line but when i stretch mine it looks like my elbow is broken, this is what it kind of looks like ^ the middle is the elbow but it isnt as severe as that when i stretch it, it is when i turn it around (= when i put my hand on a table and twist my elbow up and down or in a position that isn't considered normally possible) and lots of people said it looks super freaky but i do it unconciously because i dont have that stop in my elbow, does anyone know what that is called?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 12:07   Link #858
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

are you double jointed?
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 12:51   Link #859
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i say "ROFL" (yea that pronunciation) pretty often around my friends...they all usually end up laughing with me XD
That's funny, because Rolf (not ROFL) is a name in Norway, so if i say "Rolf" (when i mean "ROFL"), my friends say "Where?"
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 20:30   Link #860
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
are you double jointed?
I thought of that too, but doing some more research on it, that wasn't correct.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious