AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 18 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 31.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 9.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-03, 22:49   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Was it really a cry for attention? I saw it simply as a bit of self-deprecating humour. Obviously it's better if he can make fun of what happened in the past than stew on it, or whatever. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in this situation, since it did make for a funny reference.
My reaction was certainly the same as yours - healthy self-mockery.
Old 2008-11-03, 22:54   Link #42
muncheez<3

okay this is really random, but near the end of the episode when Nagi shines her staff on Zange, when Zange says "whoa so bright" her voice totally changed and i was like

I want to join the Nagi Fanclub<3
Old 2008-11-03, 23:06   Link #43
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheez<3 View Post
okay this is really random, but near the end of the episode when Nagi shines her staff on Zange, when Zange says "whoa so bright" her voice totally changed and i was like
What are you expecting? Kya?

It also shows how pretentious Zange is. She is just putting up a cute facade whereas Nagi is honest with her public image unlike Zange.
Old 2008-11-03, 23:09   Link #44
Cinocard

Lol this ep is truly hilarious. Hagashima sensei ftw
Old 2008-11-03, 23:14   Link #45
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheez<3 View Post
she got surprised. what do you expect?

though, one would wonder why she didn't notice Nagi's brilliant spotlight-- Volt Lighter-- in such a close distance.. flaw?
Old 2008-11-04, 01:22   Link #46
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Man, talk about whining. His firing could have been unfair (I don't know the exact details), but airing it this way is just a cry for attention.
i thought doing this was just trying to point a big middle finger at the person who fired him
Old 2008-11-04, 01:38   Link #47
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
What are you expecting? Kya?

It also shows how pretentious Zange is. She is just putting up a cute facade whereas Nagi is honest with her public image unlike Zange.
Which one has the greater potential of freaking people out, physical possession of a human body or breaking out whole from wood and clay like Galatea? I suspect that Hakua allows the possession and the effort to maintain Zange's power is preferable to the alternative. Nagi has no such hang ups although she is more manipulative to people to forward her own end.

For the taste contest, maybe Nagi would have preferred cooking cat?
Old 2008-11-04, 02:34   Link #48
JediNight
キズランダム

Nagi is manipulative in her own way. She puts on the "super nice" personality at school the entire time. She only made up the dual personality bit because Tsugumi caught her yelling, and she probably doesn't want to have to fake being nice 24/7
Old 2008-11-04, 06:02   Link #49
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

This was a fun ep. Tsugumi is just too cute. I'm starting to like Zange a bit more now too.
Old 2008-11-04, 12:55   Link #50
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Milk in miso soup? O.o

Isn't that...toxic?

Not sure what to say that hasn't already been covered by comments from before. But this series is still proving itself to be one of the best out there for this season. What I really like about this series is how the characters do make the show outstanding using a relatively "normal" plot to go on.

Nagi is just love in the way she is able to change her character like that...and I think her "naive" side is the best XD You just gotta love the scene where she uses her magical staff to light up the head of that teacher XD

I don't hate Zange but she isn't on my favorites list. But I do feel sorry for Hakua's father. *Shrugs*

Oh and a funny moment where the director said thanks to the viewers

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-11-04, 13:25   Link #51
pparker

The series is all win, and most of this episode's goodness has been mentioned, but what impresses me most (having not seen any source material) is how the story keeps subverting expectations. The usual trope or cliche doesn't happen or else gets reversed. In this ep, Nagi suddenly reverses the "I'm dying" plot with "here, I'll just take 15 minutes and become an idol" And it works! The cooking contest almost could be parody, but isn't because the characters are solid and authentic, and it blows expectations as well.

Hopefully, too, the dynamic between the sisters will continue in complicating. I like the idea that they are actually copies/halves of one person that have diverged over centuries. But I also think they haven't diverged so far in character. Whereas Zange is characterized as such a villain, I don't think they are that different in terms of using whatever means to achieve their goals. Both have their challenges: Nagi having lost her tree, and Zange having to negotiate with her "vessel". Zange's situation puts her in a worse light, but I don't find much difference in their motivation, actually. Nagi would just as soon zap Zange into particles as vice versa.

Also, Nagi acts like the original based on her tree having existed first. However, they were apparently "created equal" when the split happened. She gets to be the older sister only from point of fact of having been the half left to reside in the original tree.
Old 2008-11-04, 20:09   Link #52
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Although I really enjoyed each individual part of this episode, one thing that is bugging me a little is the inconsistent development. How can Zange go from being a major threat in episode four to a virtual nobody in episode five? Why the sudden jump from the food contest (which ended without us being sure who won it—assuming they hadn't already decided prior to tasting Nagi's dish!) to Nagi being a huge idol at school (how did that even start?) It's almost like a bunch of 4koma sketches....

Still, I am liking this series more and more, after starting off lukewarm about it (am I the only one who doesn't like the glitzy pop idol OP?) it's now my joint favourite series of the season.

As regards the possession of Hakua, the food contest was a missed opportunity for some projectile vomiting!

Yamamoto: I thought the insert about him was ok. However one rumour I've heard is that his "not being ready to be a director" was not about his directing but his behaviour. Certainly Lucky Star did not improve after he left: I concur with the gripes about the lack of transitions, would it really have killed them to do a 3 second lead in or fade out between items? The more closely I consider these 4koma adaptions, the more it makes me realise what an absolute classic Azumanga Daioh was, it was just so smoothly done.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-11-04, 22:43   Link #53
Cinocard

Well, isn't it obviously who would win in the cooking contest without even tasting it?

Also real "villain" does not appear in a slice of life type series like this. Also, Gin already found out the true nature and identity of Zange, didn't he?

About Nagi becoming the idol, all she needs to do is just walking around in the school. Also even Gin doesn't know how it started either, so may be us viewers would suppose to be the same?
Old 2008-11-05, 00:42   Link #54
MaiHikari

love love love this episode. I'm busting out laughing with every moment.

To name a few:
* none of the girls cared about Jin's decision as he quietly pointed it out
* the director's comment
* the scene where Jin guesses what's different about Nagi (references to her hair cut, thin eye brows, and lack of breasts!! my exact comments before about her character design)
* her new power is an ultra bright light, first used on a bald head

Some questions:
* why didn't Haruka want to cook? and how is Nagi so sure she will win?
* what happened to Zange's power? she wasn't afraid to use them against Nagi before.

The execution was flawless. It reminded me why I loved the earlier Lucky Star episodes even though the series had no plot. Now with a plot, Kannagi is even better! It's definitely at the top of my list for the season. And I'm sooo glad it didn't turn into a harem anime.
Old 2008-11-05, 03:06   Link #55
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
* why didn't Haruka want to cook?

* what happened to Zange's power? she wasn't afraid to use them against Nagi before.
-Because it wouldn't be fair. It was a competition between Zange-Tsugumi-Nagi, not Hakua-Tsugumi-Nagi, after all.

-Power...? She didn't use any power last episode. The spider? That's not her power...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-05, 04:18   Link #56
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Well, isn't it obviously who would win in the cooking contest without even tasting it?

Also real "villain" does not appear in a slice of life type series like this. Also, Gin already found out the true nature and identity of Zange, didn't he?

About Nagi becoming the idol, all she needs to do is just walking around in the school. Also even Gin doesn't know how it started either, so may be us viewers would suppose to be the same?
I thought Jin said Nagi's food tasted horrible, which is why there was no winner. Villain may be too harsh for Zange. She is the antagonist, though, since she is trying to beat Nagi. Other series would have spent at least an entire episode on starting her as an idol, if not two, which is a reason I liked her just making it happen. But she did have a website and a club.
Old 2008-11-05, 04:47   Link #57
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
if anything, Tsugumi probably would have won the contest. Egg rolls... how hard could it be.

normal-looking food FTW!
Old 2008-11-05, 05:22   Link #58
JediNight
キズランダム

Basically Hakua isn't a bitch like Zange She can't sense what Zange is thinking, so one assumes she was fine with helping cook a meal for Jin as thanks for saving her. But when Zange wanted to manipulate the situation for selfish reasons, she wouldn't go along with it.

And at least as far as we are shown so far, Zange really does come across as the villain. She has possessed the body of a human, and abuses Nagi verbally (and I guess physically in the shed). She also has the goal of eliminating Nagi so she can become the sole avatar of the deity. We'll have to see if we're given background at some point on how the possession took place and how much of a willing participant in it Hakua is.

Zange hasn't shown any powers yet. It seems she's able to hold the impurities either because she has a human body, or at a certain "power level" they don't hurt anymore. Nagi was becoming very weak so Zange was just able to strong-arm her into a submission hold in the equipment shed.
Old 2008-11-06, 07:40   Link #59
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
man, i feel for jin. he has to absorb all the craziness going around him
Old 2008-11-06, 13:11   Link #60
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Although I really enjoyed each individual part of this episode, one thing that is bugging me a little is the inconsistent development. How can Zange go from being a major threat in episode four to a virtual nobody in episode five? Why the sudden jump from the food contest (which ended without us being sure who won it—assuming they hadn't already decided prior to tasting Nagi's dish!) to Nagi being a huge idol at school (how did that even start?) It's almost like a bunch of 4koma sketches....

Still, I am liking this series more and more, after starting off lukewarm about it (am I the only one who doesn't like the glitzy pop idol OP?) it's now my joint favourite series of the season.

As regards the possession of Hakua, the food contest was a missed opportunity for some projectile vomiting!
I understand how do you feel because i admit this series have followed the manga really closely, eve down to character face expression in certain screen. As manga, the pace should be right, but non-manga-readers may find the pace of anime events abnormal (maybe)

There are no major fault so far (since i read the manga so watching the anime is like reading the old books with new illustration ). But in some certain screen, i expect character expression (mainly Nagi and Jin) to be animated better, rather than just copying from the manga.

PS: My favourite character may appear again next Ep. Misses her so much ^^