AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-29, 03:21   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

New Metal Gear game coming

No official announcement yet, but it is obvious given this teaser image from Kojima Productions.

Also, I had read that Kojima Productions is hiring people with experience in console development and PC development for this game, so this MG game should be PC bound. No one knows if this is planned for PS3 and XBox 360, or if they plan this title for next gen consoles, but most assume that this game is going on the current consoles. Some speculate it'll hit Wii U, too.

Taken from here: http://www.psu.com/The-Next-MGS-targ...a014422-p0.php

Quote:
Kojima Productions is now advertising for new recruits to add to Kojima Productions under the banner 'Development Without Borders,' a play-on the group that Naked Snake lead in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

The ad directs those intrigued to join Kojima Productions at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco's Career Pavilion between March 6 and March 9 for more information. KP advertises for engineers, artists, and game creators that can:

-"the latest Metal Gear Solid targeted for high-end consoles and PC"

-"help develop next-gen game engine technology for use with the 'FOX' Engine"
It looks like it'll be before MGS 1 and with Big Boss. If it is a modern gen revision of MG 1 and MG 2 (or at least MG 1), I'm down for that. Really, I'm interested in new MG games that happen before MGS 1. I kind of want to just pretend that MGS 2 and MGS 4 didn't happen and that the story just goes up to MGS 1. Kind of like how people like to block out the Matrix 2 and 3 and just want to acknowledge the first Matrix movie.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-02-29 at 03:48.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 03:36   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Diamond Dogs huh? If I had to take a guess from the teaser picture, maybe that was the original name for the Foxhound organization? If that's the case then this game is likely an interquel between Portable Ops and Peace Walker since Foxhound became an official division of the US Army in 1971.

As for a device to play it on, I have a pretty good hunch it may be for the Vita considering Metal Gear games featuring Big Boss often seem to be pushed toward handhelds. But if it does end up a console game then it may end up being our actual "Metal Gear Solid 5".~
Old 2012-02-29, 03:44   Link #3
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Hmmmm.... looking at it, I too get the feeling this will be a Vita title. I'm still waiting for the game that takes place during the time period of when Big Boss "found" Sniper Wolf. I'd like to learn more on that~
Old 2012-02-29, 03:50   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Check out the OP, more information added. The game is indeed hitting "high-end consoles" and PC.
Old 2012-02-29, 04:01   Link #5
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Thing is though, the Vita is "high-end". For a handheld anyway. If the game can be on PS3/360 then it very likely can be on the Vita too. It really depends on what you think fits that definition at the moment.

Seems Kojima's aiming to create a whole new engine for it. Guess this title may be a fair ways away if it's only being conceptualized right now.
Old 2012-02-29, 04:20   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Vita isn't a console. It says high-end consoles. Vita is a handheld.

Also, why would they put an MGS game on Vita and then PC? Games that go on more than just PC go on consoles.

Also, the new engine, which was announced last year and has been in development for many months now, is said to be made for consoles and PC (not handhelds). Why would KP be working on a high end engine for PSV starting, say, a year ago from now? They wouldn't.

Listen, I know you don't want to get your hopes up, but, well...I assure you it'll be on consoles. Woohoo, right!?

They didn't specify what consoles because they are probably still determining that. It'll surely hit PS3 and XBox 360, and they are probably considering Wii U, too. What gives that ground is that PS3 and XBox 360 are current gen, Wii U is kind of next gen, but all three could fit under the label "high end consoles".
Old 2012-02-29, 04:44   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Vita isn't a console. It says high-end consoles. Vita is a handheld.

Also, why would they put an MGS game on Vita and then PC? Games that go on more than just PC go on consoles.

Also, the new engine, which was announced last year and has been in development for many months now, is said to be made for consoles and PC (not handhelds). Why would KP be working on a high end engine for PSV starting, say, a year ago from now? They wouldn't.

Listen, I know you don't want to get your hopes up, but, well...I assure you it'll be on consoles. Woohoo, right!?

They didn't specify what consoles because they are probably still determining that. It'll surely hit PS3 and XBox 360, and they are probably considering Wii U, too. What gives that ground is that PS3 and XBox 360 are current gen, Wii U is kind of next gen, but all three could fit under the label "high end consoles".
But Xbox360 isn't really "high end" console any more. If you can put it in a Xbox360, you can run it in a Vita. So the question is why NOT put it in a Vita?

Sony would love it. After all, PS4 is years away. They would want as many blockbusters on Vita as possible. So I can see this game being released on both PS3 AND Vita.
Old 2012-02-29, 05:07   Link #8
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But Xbox360 isn't really "high end" console any more. If you can put it in a Xbox360, you can run it in a Vita. So the question is why NOT put it in a Vita?

Sony would love it. After all, PS4 is years away. They would want as many blockbusters on Vita as possible. So I can see this game being released on both PS3 AND Vita.
Don't know, but apparently there are only 1.2million psvita owner around the world, at the moment. If you compare it to the PS360 crowd, you probably going to make more money by releasing it on those home-consoles than on the psvita.
The only way I could see it getting release as a psvita exclusive is, if sony does what it had done with the psp and drop the licencing fees for memory/retail release and SEN hosting.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 05:37   Link #9
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

A few things. One, the engine it is being developed for is for PC and consoles, and not Vita. Secondly, like Sides said, there are currently only 1.2 million PSV owners right now. They would get much, much better sales by putting the game on PS3 and XBox 360 and PC, not just solely Vita and then also PC.

And another reason why this is sure to go onto PS3 and XBox 360: Why is Kojima still making MGS games? He has wanted to move on to different IPs for a decade now (since the completion of MGS 2 in 2001!). He hung in there up until MGS 4 nonetheless, but now he is making more MGS games, and he has indicated that he doesn't really want to. So why does he still make MGS games? Konami isn't doing well these days. I read that the Metal Gear series is the only real significant money maker for Konami right now. That is why Kojima is working on more MGS games. Konami wants him to. It is their only viable money maker. Which ties back to the thing about Vita = not good sales and PS360 = guaranteed good sales. Add all the things together, and you can be very confident the game will hit at least PS3.

Besides, like I said, PSV is not a console, it is a handheld. If they were planning for a PSV version, they would have said "high-end platforms", which would be more ambiguous than "high-end consoles".

Think about this, too, if they put it on PSV, they wouldn't be able to make use of its unique controls or its other unique features. They'd have to make it work on both PSV and PC. It'd just be another reason why making the game for just PSV and PC alone wouldn't make good sense and wouldn't be a good decision (even if it's a small one).
Old 2012-02-29, 05:40   Link #10
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't know, but apparently there are only 1.2million psvita owner around the world, at the moment. If you compare it to the PS360 crowd, you probably going to make more money by releasing it on those home-consoles than on the psvita.
The only way I could see it getting release as a psvita exclusive is, if sony does what it had done with the psp and drop the licencing fees for memory/retail release and SEN hosting.
What made you think it would be an exclusive?

I am saying when Sony negotiate for the rights, they would likely attempt to have a simultaneous release on PS3 and Vita. PS3 because it has a larger base, but Vita because it would help the hand held tremendously. There is no reason what it can't be done, unless the game is too graphic intensive for the Xbox360.

And I don't see Microsoft missing out on this game. So the bare minimum hardware will be 360 level for sure.
Old 2012-02-29, 05:50   Link #11
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't rule out a PSV version, but I definitely think the game will hit PS3 and XBox 360.

Here is some info about the games engine, Fox Engine:

Quote:
The engine's development began after the completion of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots with the goal of making the "best engine in the world."
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Fox_Engine

The beginning of the Fox Engine began in the middle of 2008, when MGS 4 was completed. PSV wasn't ever vaporware back then. That was more than three years before the PSV released! Clearly, the Fox Engine is being coded with PS3, XBox 360, and PC in mind. Sure, they could port it to PSV, but that'd be an after thought. Probably wouldn't be worth the time and money, though. So they probably wouldn't do it.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:03   Link #12
Sides

Quote:
What made you think it would be an exclusive?

I am saying when Sony negotiate for the rights, they would likely attempt to have a simultaneous release on PS3 and Vita. PS3 because it has a larger base, but Vita because it would help the hand held tremendously. There is no reason what it can't be done, unless the game is too graphic intensive for the Xbox360.

And I don't see Microsoft missing out on this game. So the bare minimum hardware will be 360 level for sure.
PSV exclusive? Well, if sony wanted to push their new handheld that would be the way to go, focusing attention on one platform.

You mean something like buy either ps3 or psvita and get the other version free, like what they are doing with motorstrom rc? Sony has to offer konami a lot for this. I cannot see many third party studios signing up to sony's cross-play program, unless it is enforced by sony.

With 360, it is not MS missing out, it is about free money. If the engine is as flexible as MT framework, why not release the same game on multiple platforms?
Old 2012-02-29, 06:07   Link #13
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Sure, they could port it to PSV, but that'd be an after thought. Probably wouldn't be worth the time and money, though. So they probably wouldn't do it.
PS3 is aging. But its replacement is not any time soon. For now, Sony would likely imitate Nintendo with the DSi; trying to promote the latest Handheld as much as they can, to compensate for the loss of the shiny newness of the console.

The point isn't trying to improve sales of the game by porting to Vita, but to promote the sales of the Vita by porting the game. There is a serious argument that Vita can run ANY game that could be run on Xbox360. So what better way to pump up its library of games that way?
Quote:
PSV exclusive? Well, if sony wanted to push their new handheld that would be the way to go, focusing attention on one platform.
No no no, Sony has no need to force people to play Vita games. My point is that Sony would try to have as many simultaneous release of new titles on PS3 and Vita as they can.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:07   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Sony would have to offer a real big amount of money for a PSV version. They'd spend quite a good amount of time and money coding the game for PSV, and the install base for it won't be too great by time the game releases. They'd be putting time and money into this and taking a gamble on a version of the game that is, pretty much, either going to make no profit or very little profit.

Quote:
PS3 is aging. But its replacement is not any time soon. For now, Sony would likely imitate Nintendo with the DSi; trying to promote the latest Handheld as much as they can, to compensate for the loss of the shiny newness of the console.

The point isn't trying to improve sales of the game by porting to Vita, but to promote the sales of the Vita by porting the game. There is a serious argument that Vita can run ANY game that could be run on Xbox360. So what better way to pump up its library of games that way?
Sony may want it on Vita, but does Konami? I think we can say no. Sony would have to offer Konami a lot of money, probably more than it is worth.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:12   Link #15
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Awesome news!

I for one hope it's either a remake of MG1 and 2 or a tie in to how Big Boss caused the world to teeter on the brink of destruction.

But in all honesty, I just want another Peace Walker. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 06:12   Link #16
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Sony would have to offer a real big amount of money for a PSV version. They'd spend quite a good amount of time and money coding the game for PSV, and the install base for it won't be too great by time the game releases. They'd be putting time and money into this and taking a gamble on a version of the game that is, pretty much, either going to make no profit or very little profit.
I can see Sony picking up the tab for the porting, but otherwise I don't expect too much trouble. And as I say, the aim would be to promote the Vita and fight the "No Games" gag.

Vita needs to be successful, in order to maintain growth until the release of PS4. So for now, they should be willing to invest into its future by growing a consumer base.
Quote:
Sony may want it on Vita, but does Konami? I think we can say no. Sony would have to offer Konami a lot of money, probably more than it is worth.
Hey, if Sony picks up the tab on the porting, I don't see why not. Vita's future is more important here.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:15   Link #17
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

All I know is it'll hit PS3 and PC, and I'll be able to choose from either version, and that makes me happy.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:45   Link #18
Sides

Quote:
Technically the PSvita can run any PC game for that matter, it is really a more setup like a PC than any other console on the market, nothing exotic besides gimmicky touch panel. The PSVita isn't more powerful than the PS3 or 360, but more conventional, in terms of tech.
Konami isn't first or second party company, so they have no real reason to support sony in any way, unless it maximises their profit. Alternative route would be to release it on PS3 and vita and ask for a premium price for it, which can be easily done if the PSV version is only sold on SEN/PSN, where they have complete control on the pricing.
Quote:
No no no, Sony has no need to force people to play Vita games. My point is that Sony would try to have as many simultaneous release of new titles on PS3 and Vita as they can.
Okay, got you. Sony have really put themselves in an awkward position with the PSVita and PS3. To be honest if the vita had a hdmi port it would have killed the ps3 instantly.

Only think I hope is, that the game won't end up as a MMO, hearing that they are hiring PC devs makes me feel uncomfortable..
Old 2012-02-29, 21:54   Link #19
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Seems we're getting more BIGBOSS.
Cool.