AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2012-04-27, 22:19   Link #181
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This metal thread is remarkably lacking of actual metal. Take your nu-metal crap and begone.
There's so much overlap these days *I'm* not even sure what metal is anymore :P (industrial shredding thrash ambient electonica eh??? wot??)

Stuff I used to call "metal" sounds downright folksy melodic these days when I go back and listen to it

Tripped across Black Veil Brides the other day.... I'm pretty sure they're just retro-melodic metal??? but grandkids of Alice Cooper definitely.

I've stopped caring so much about what is labeled what anymore - suddenly I find that Joan Jett and Souixsie&theBanshees are "punk" according to Those Who Label?????? I just called them rock'n'roll....
Old 2012-04-27, 23:40   Link #182
james0246

I don't know if he is necessarily metal, but I've been listening to a lot of Steve Vai recently. Flex-Able is still one of my favourite albums from the 1980s (I do think Frank Zappa is one of the greatest artists of the 20th century, so of course I love Flex-Able ), and Passion and Warfare is just a sublime guitar listening experience.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 23:54   Link #183
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I tend to think of the guitarists of the 80s .. like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen... groups like Tesla, Dream Theater.
Hell, I could put "Surfing with the Alien" on loop when I drive...
Old 2012-05-01, 05:10   Link #184
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I've recently became a fan of Blood Stain Child. I like many types of rock and their music really gets me amped/pumped. I love their songs, the energy, and the feeling of the instruments in their songs.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:49   Link #185
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
I've recently became a fan of Blood Stain Child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's so much overlap these days *I'm* not even sure what metal is anymore :P (industrial shredding thrash ambient electonica eh??? wot??)
That's a pretty accurate description for their style lol. Anyways, yeah I have a few of their songs, pretty interesting. One that got me to like them was Freedom.

I own every Disturbed album. They're songs are mainly the only metal songs I listen to. With random ones from other various artists. Not a fan of most songs usual metal heads like though.

'GARDENING' metal by Beardyman at 12:50 (somewhere around there, I'm not sure, I didn't play this because I'm at work)

Don't step on his begonias.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 23:17   Link #186
Asuras
Dictadere~!

"Metal" has essentially become and umbrella term for countless subgenres.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:49   Link #187
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
"Metal" has essentially become and umbrella term for countless subgenres.
Like everything else
Except those older diminishing genres. Sometimes I think it's just some random one person making up bullshit names and see how many people believe them.

The other thing is a lot modern songs go back and forth in different styles and not the same consistent throughout.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 07:12   Link #188
Darth SpiderDen
Sekiryuutei

Have you guys heard of a death-metal band called Moonspell?
Old 2012-05-03, 21:46   Link #189
Haladflire65
*Artist

Mmmm, maybe I should listen to more death, but I don't think I'll like it much unless it has more melodic/symphonic elements like Septic Flesh...

I've recently checked out the album Second World by The Foreshadowing. It was labelled as "Gothic Doom Metal" and I had no idea what that was but I just felt like giving it a try because it had very good reviews, and to my surprise I'm quite enjoying it. So far my favourite song from it's the title track:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's very different from what I normally listen to a lot but I love the atmosphere and mood it creates. The vocals are nice too. I'm not addicted to the album or anything but I really like it.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:27   Link #190
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth SpiderDen View Post
Have you guys heard of a death-metal band called Moonspell?
I have but I mostly listen to their earlier stuff.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 05:30   Link #191
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

I happen to be loving Spawn Of Possesion recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWi_L...eature=related
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:26   Link #192
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

I'm certainly into metal, at times. During my teens, I used to listen to bands like In Flames, Slipknot (Slipknot - Iowa era), Soilwork, At the Gates, Scar Symmetry and Dark Tranquillity a lot. Melodic death metal, that is. I still love that genre, but haven't been keeping up with new developments.

I don't listen to metal a lot these days. I'm more into progressive rock/fusion at this point. But when I do it's going to be something like Rytmihäiriö. They are a Finnish hardcore punk/thrash metal band. Primitive and aggressive. Particularly great when you're feeling the buzz. Another new (relatively: debut album released in 2010) band I love is Kvelertak. Norwegian "black 'n' roll" band. I guess those two are my favourites at the moment as far as metal goes.

Another great acquintance this year was Vulture Industries. I guess they play something like avant-garde black metal/progressive metal. The Ocean are great, too. I guess they are experimental metal.

I'm certainly open to new music, just that I'm a bit lazy to really start searching and just get on with it. Black metal, for example, is pretty much unknown territory for me.

Some examples:
Spoiler for Rytmihäiriö:

Spoiler for Vulture Industries:

Spoiler for Kvelertak:

Last edited by zarqu; 2013-05-08 at 11:41.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:45   Link #193
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I think I'm starting to kind of like Septic Flesh! I'm listening to the album Communion right now and I'm finding it surprisingly ok I'm enjoying The Great Mass, too! I think I find it a bit catchier than the former, actually. I tried branching out a bit more recently but it wasn't hugely successful... I think the furthest I got from my usual symphonic/power metal fixes is Candlemass, I quite liked Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (particularly A Sorcerer's Pledge).

And ZGoten, I can't say I wasn't a bit startled when I found guest reviews by you while browsing through Metalstorm, although I really should've been expecting it, considering your expertise XD It's a pity there're no other bands that sound like Kamelot, I did look at a lot of other symphonic/power bands and it was so true Ah well, time to go listen to The Black Halo again, then...
Communion is definately a great album. I especially love the tracks 'Annubis' and 'Sunlight Moonlight'. What's great about Septic Flesh (or Septicflesh) is that they are definately very heavy in their sound and brutal, yet still quite catchy with a lot of memorable melodies.

You give my reviews way too much credit, though. I am kind of ashamed of them and wish I could delete them. xD

I guess it's just Roy Khan. His voice is just very unique for the genre. While all the other musicians in the band are phenomenal as well, I think he makes the difference in distinguishing Kamelot from other excellent power / symphonic bands. I can't wait to see, or rather hear, what the new vocalist will sound like. In the meantime though, while you go listening to The Black Halo, I'll be heading back to Epica for a while. 'Descent Of The Archangel' is high on my favorite list at the moment.

Also, on another note, two more excellent albums have surfaced, folks, Paradise Lost's 'Tragic Idol' and the more extreme debut release 'Morok' by Agruss. Have a listen, guys.

Spoiler for space:

Last edited by ZGoten; 2012-05-06 at 10:59.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 08:25   Link #194
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzts_death View Post
I'm a metal head. Love all metal except that depressive nu-metal crap. I'd really hate to be my neighbour, I pretty much have Metal blasting 24/7.

fav bands are: Amon Amarth, Children Of Bodom, Lamb of God, In Flames, Therion, Wizard, Moonsorrow, Norther, Einherjer, Ensiferum, fintroll, manowar, blind guardian and wintersun.

Anyone know any good japanese metal?
Ouch, that hurts... nu-metal crap..? that hurts me a lot... TT

well, I'm not exactly a "metal head," but I have four bands I like: Disturbed [Alt-metal], Slipknot [Metal], Cradle of Filth and Slapshock [local, Metal Rap].

but I also listen to the J-pop genre, and also I patronize OPM (original Pinoy) music

Disturbed has been the source of my "inspiration," it has become my source of dark energy when I am devoured by the wrongs of the Philippine society today. I am proud to be a great fan of it!
Old 2012-05-27, 18:40   Link #195
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Communion is definately a great album. I especially love the tracks 'Annubis' and 'Sunlight Moonlight'. What's great about Septic Flesh (or Septicflesh) is that they are definately very heavy in their sound and brutal, yet still quite catchy with a lot of memorable melodies.

You give my reviews way too much credit, though. I am kind of ashamed of them and wish I could delete them. xD

I guess it's just Roy Khan. His voice is just very unique for the genre. While all the other musicians in the band are phenomenal as well, I think he makes the difference in distinguishing Kamelot from other excellent power / symphonic bands. I can't wait to see, or rather hear, what the new vocalist will sound like. In the meantime though, while you go listening to The Black Halo, I'll be heading back to Epica for a while. 'Descent Of The Archangel' is high on my favorite list at the moment.
I'm still enjoying Septicflesh. I like the tracks you mentioned a lot, as well as the title track!

So I heard Kamelot's releasing a new album this fall... I'm wondering who the vocalist will be, and if the band will be able to retain its quality with him. As you said Roy was such a huge part of Kamelot's sound! But I'm open to the new vocalist too, we'll see how he does - hey, I even thought they sounded pretty good on tour with Fabio Lione being the front man.

Ahhhh, I love Descent of the Archangel too! I have a hard time choosing between Karma and Epica. I recently got really into the Elizabeth trilogy, but I'm still not tired of Epica songs like Archangel, Lost and Damned, Snow and Center of the Universe...

Recently, with the release of their new album, I discovered Be'lakor. I really like their music; I think Remnants from Of Breath and Bone really caught my attention in the beginning. So basically, them and Septicflesh taught me that death metal can be epic and melodic too

Another random song that's been stuck in my head is Welcome to Mercy Falls by Seventh Wonder, a prog band. I first looked them up because someone said their vocalist could be a good replacement for Khan... he does sound really good in Seventh Wonder, I think.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:26   Link #196
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Guys, Xandria's 'Neverworld's End' may have been surpassed by Kreator's 'Phantom Antichrist'. This is probably my album of the year so far. I especially love the track 'Civilisation Collapse'.

Spoiler for amazing German Thrash:
Old 2012-06-12, 21:57   Link #197
smbjoshy

Miss May I released a new Album today, as a whole it's okay, but the best song on it IMO is Ballad Of A Broken Man. A must listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQtuzscfDg
smbjoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:40   Link #198
Lightning_Wing

My tastes in metal are almost classic rock, with bands like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Ozzy in my lineup of favorite metal bands. I also like Anthrax and Slayer, but despise Megadeth. (I hate whiny music in general.)
As far as all the black metal and death metal stuff goes...it has some good musicality but I never dug it. Mostly for the "wall of sound" concept.
Old 2012-06-17, 19:13   Link #199
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I tend to favor classic metal simply because it is more melodic (actually its sometimes surprising how mellow some of the old stuff sounds compared with modern metal) .. but I'm occasionally surprised by new stuff that manages to combine the technical skill wizardry of today with actual chords and note progressions

I dunno... I consider Wolfmother (an Aussie band) to be "metal" -- so I suppose we could fudge about on what is metal and what isn't. Some of Muse's and System of a Down's stuff fits the label, imo, as well.
Old 2012-06-17, 20:13   Link #200
Lightning_Wing

Wolfmother strikes me as more hard rock, though they could be metal in the same way that AC/DC is. Muse hits as a more alternative metal, and same with System of a Down. Though System of a Down is far more metal than the former.

Tags
metal