Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-03-20, 08:41   Link #3461
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Pretty much. He's clearly found his true calling and it's highly unlikely he'll ever be able to draw a regular action shounen like Black Cat again. If he made a sequel, he'd probably turn it into something completely different. Not sure Black Cat fans want to see that.
just remove those crotch shots and panty shots on those fighting scenes we've had on TLRD and it'd turn into an action scene without the fanservice and would be something that would fit Black Cat.
I'm pretty sure Yabuki can still do that.

and didn't he promised he'd make a sequel?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 14:50   Link #3462
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
just remove those crotch shots and panty shots on those fighting scenes we've had on TLRD and it'd turn into an action scene without the fanservice and would be something that would fit Black Cat.
I'm pretty sure Yabuki can still do that.

and didn't he promised he'd make a sequel?
That's easier said than done. I don't think he'll remove the crotch shots and panty shots. He's found what he likes, and seems pretty adamant on it. I mean, he seems to be enjoying himself with this from all the interviews we've seen. And not for nothing, but he's becoming more infamous for his ecchi prowess than he has for black cat by now.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 15:06   Link #3463
Shadow5YA

The closest he could come to a remaking Black Cat is his one shot, Futagami Double. He can still draw action scenes, but there is no way he'll completely drop the ecchi.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:47   Link #3464
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Exactly. The problem is not that he can't do it anymore, it's that he won't. He's at his happiest when drawing hot girls doing hot things. He's now a popular enough mangaka to do what he likes, and as Kurosu pointed out, this is what he's renowned for now, so he's got no reason to stop.

Here's what Yabuki had to say about Black Cat:

Quote:
Katsura: It's strange, your previous work, Black Cat, wasn't exactly what you could call a romantic comedy with girls everywhere...
Yabuki: That's true. Back then, I was in the mindset: "Let's make a classic Jump manga!". There were a few girls, but they were not as omnipresent as they are now. My editor, Mister Torishima, egged me on with lines like "We have very high expectations for you", and I wanted to please him, so I followed his direction.

[...]

Yabuki: I am truly grateful for his forthrightness with me. I think that to stray from the laid-out path of (classic/battle) shounen, I first needed a first experience in that field, even if it meant realizing thereafter that it wasn't what I was made for. I debuted weekly publication for a long running series with Black Cat. At the time, simply thinking up the plot of the next chapter took me ages. I didn't have a minute of free time. That period lasted four years, during which it took me everything I had to hold on. When the series ended, I was able to step back to think about what I truly wanted to do.

Katsura: Was it at that time that you considered devoting yourself to your art?

Yabuki: Exactly. That's how To love-ru was born.

Katsura: I understand. We merely have to look at the result to perceive that you truly love what you do, now. I'm under the impression your drawings emit an aura of happiness.

Yabuki: That's true! (laugh). Of course, I devoted a lot of time to Black Cat's art as well, that manga required a lot of work. With TLR, focusing exclusively on drawing enabled me to truly have fun with my work!"
And here are his exact words Obata asked him what motivates (Yabuki asked Obata first to be exact, but he threw the question back at him without answering):

Quote:
Yabuki: Me, I never tire of drawing cute girls! So if to top if all off I can draw them naked or in suggestive postures, what more can I ask for? (laugh)
However, if no female characters were in my manga, my motivation would drop below zero. That's why women are omnipresent in my works, it's vital for me! (laugh)

Obata: And what if you do get tired of it?

Yabuki: That will never happen! But otherwise, I'd start drawing old people. It's one of my hobby.
I know the last sentence sounds weird like this but it's not (that much); the two of them had previously talked about how old people's faces were interesting to draw, with the wrinkles and all.

Last edited by Kanon; 2012-03-20 at 18:21.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 18:01   Link #3465
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
For better or for worse (for the people who wanted a black cat sequel that is), we can now call Yabuki our messenger of the God of Perverts.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 18:01   Link #3466
Richocet
Lover of Purity

Quote:
Yabuki: Me, I never tire of drawing cute girls! So if to top if all off I can draw them naked or in suggestive postures, what more can I ask for? (laugh)
However, if no female characters were in my manga, my motivation would drop below zero. That's why women are omnipresent in my works, it's vital for me! (laugh)

Yabuki: That will never happen!
Haha lol Yabuki is the man
Richocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 18:34   Link #3467
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Reading the interview with Obata again, I realized I forgot to mention something. Yabuki claims there's a type of girl he's not good at drawing: brown girls. His fans are often asking him for it but he just can't do it.

I wonder if that's why Azenda was written off so soon.
Old 2012-03-20, 19:50   Link #3468
Freeter
beyond

Yeah, I can't see his style working for brown girls. That's fine though, since he excels at drawing every other type of female. Leave the brownies to Kubo
Old 2012-03-20, 20:07   Link #3469
Shadow5YA

Yeah, shading for darker skins can be a bit... tricky.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 20:56   Link #3470
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
If he's successful at doing it, I wonder if that means a new character for TLRD. More members for the harem...Can't wait to see where this goes.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-03-20 at 21:44.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 21:09   Link #3471
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
My camera phone is shit, as you might have noticed. Furthermore, as I pointed out earlier, you can already find scans of that pic on the interweb anyway.
I find out with ease. It's low resolution but it's till good. Funny how it's half censored since it's from TLR.
Old 2012-03-20, 21:48   Link #3472
Xagzan

I don't see why he doesn't like drawing dark skin. Azenda looked fine to me. But then I'm not an artist.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:45   Link #3473
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:

Yabuki: That will never happen! But otherwise, I'd start drawing old people. It's one of my hobby.
EPIC WORDS from the master himself!
First sentence alone he's on the dot on what I like about his manga.

My counter for anyone that says ecchi will end.

Old 2012-03-20, 22:52   Link #3474
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
EPIC WORDS from the master himself!
First sentence alone he's on the dot on what I like about his manga.

My counter for anyone that says ecchi will end.

All hail the god of ecchi
Old 2012-03-31, 06:24   Link #3475
Johnny
Working the bags...

Guess the anime is a go and just how badly is the censoring going to get? Hopefully not like Softenni was...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 07:22   Link #3476
Freeter
beyond

Haruna lovers, rejoice, it's your time now:

Spoiler for ch 18 pics:

And yup, the anime is a go. Prepare for full-screen light beams again
Old 2012-03-31, 07:27   Link #3477
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
And I thought from the recent interview we don't have to see Haruna again...

And you can see Yabuki being smart again (points at Haruna's panties...)
Old 2012-03-31, 07:47   Link #3478
Ashaman

Spoiler for 18:
Old 2012-03-31, 08:05   Link #3479
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Spoiler for 18:
Spoiler for 18:
Old 2012-03-31, 08:11   Link #3480
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Any aspiring h-mangaka's should be an assistant in this series. They would learn soo much.

Tags
ecchi, fake harem, harem, manga, nudity, romance, sci-fi, shounen