AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kashimashi

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 06:02   Link #101
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen
umm..I really wanna watch this but i don't have the right codec. Can anyone tell me?
I'd get the cccp or use VLC and remember to turn subtitles on. :P
Kyaa the Catlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 06:20   Link #102
JediNight
キズランダム

It's 5am so forgive me for not reading the thread first, but I have a few comments I'm sure were already mentioned:

#1 - Bravo on them getting actual native English speakers for the NASA lines in Ep1 ... even if they still had Japanese people write the script, so they sounded a bit Engrishy in parts

#2 - They over-do the "girliness" factor of Hazumu WAY too much. I mean cmon ... gardening club? I don't even know if such a thing even exists lol. Not to mention the voice was extremely girly to begin with.

#3 - There are a million ways they could have introduced the change that would have been better than what they chose to do. Putting up giant videos all over the city announcing "Hi we are aliens, we kinda heavily injured this person, we are now bringing him back as a girl for no reason we will explain to you. Good day." I think such a tacky introduction cripples the prospects the series will be good in the long run.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to ask: Is Hazumu a gender-neutral name then? Like Tsukasa and Shinon can be names for either gender as well.

I can understand why they covered his eyes with the hair -- it gets viewers to concentrate on Hazumu after the transformation, rather than dwell on the short intro to the series as a boy. I think the series could genuinely have promise to cover some deeper things, but judging by the tacky intro to Hazumu's change, I'm thinking it's gonna be rather shallow -- merely capitalizing on the "hey look! lesbians!" motif. I hope I'm wrong though.

My best guess (if trying to explain the transformation from a story-related aspect that might not even exist with the writer, who knows) is that the aliens could detect in Hazumu's heart that he would live a happier life as a girl -- like being able to tell whats in someones heart. And judging from the ED video at least, it appears she indeed is much happier and "blooms" if you want to tie in a reference to the flowers in EP1 Much more energetic, outgoing, etc.

I could be reading way too much into this though of course...

Lastly, harping on the subject of the utter tackiness of the whole aliens disclosing via video again: This should make anyone aspiring to write their own novel, or draw their own comic happy -- if something THIS lame could make it as a manga/anime, then I swear my story I'm working on deserves an award =D I spent so much time on my background info and brainstorming time avoiding just these types of utterly retarded plot devices >.>

Last edited by JediNight; 2006-01-13 at 06:48.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 06:34   Link #103
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTARGET
I was actually dissapointed on this. I read vol 1 of the manga and I found it a bit too kiddish for my taste, even when the guy turned into a female he lost his manlyness almost straight away. His is still a guy in a female body after all.
And the relationships are just too simple, they seem very fixed.

Well not to put it down all the way (I expected some good drama out of this, but I guess its too early, that or girly man just anoys me), it was marginally entertaining I guess. Well its still too early, I'll just wait and see if it surprises me.
As I said in my post above this, I don't think it's quite that simple. I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how much they have explored so far, but what exactly is kiddish and why do you think its strange he lost his "manliness" immediately?

This statement kinda ventures into fringe debate on the subject of gender vs sex: There has been a lot of research in the last decade or two related to gender vs biological sex -- that is to say, the subject is much more complex than just checking your pants for which parts you have. Research has shown that there are physical differences in the brain between males and females, among other things. More importantly that research shows that with tests on people who had ambiguous "parts" upon birth (assigned a gender based on best-guess, but was wrong) and transgender people, they shared many of the same brain differences with the "opposite" sex.

What I'm getting at is that they overkilled on the girliness of Hazumu in Ep1 (gardening club, girly voice, very shy, uncomfortable with 'manly things' and the mens mags, etc.) to hammer home to viewers that Hazumu was already kinda a "girl at heart" if you will. And I think the ED video reinforces that too, if you pay attention to just how different the personality is there -- its like Hazumu was locked in the dark before and got free into the sunshine.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:20   Link #104
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I have a mixed bag with this. The all star seiyuu cast is a plus, the characters feel alive even after one episdoe, but I really get turned off with yuri/yaoi. Maybe I'll wait to see this show until its done (to see if the hero[ine?] turns back to male), but I think for now I'll pass.

Now if only they didn't have such a wonderful character as Tomari, I would have no regrets skipping this show altogether. Just like MasaruxSachiko being the only thing that made me watch the MariaMite in its entirety, if I were to watch Kashimashi it would only be for hoping that male Hazumu getting it with Tomari. I never thought my childhood friend fixation would again tempt me to watch a genre I am not very fond of. >_>

When I thought it was a shame that Miki didn't end up with Megumi in TnK, I thought that I didn't care if Megumi was still a girl or not. But with this show, it seems I do mind. Guess its true; be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it. -_-

BTW, with only 2 volumes out, I am very pessimistic about the ending, as with almost all manga-based anime in which its source material is unfinished. If even a great anime such as Suzuka leaves me cold with IMO a rushed ending, then I have little hope for every other anime based on an on-going manga.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:26   Link #105
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen
umm..I really wanna watch this but i don't have the right codec. Can anyone tell me?
http://www.cccp-project.net/

DL the package from there. Should solve your problems....use win media player.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:33   Link #106
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
What I'm getting at is that they overkilled on the girliness of Hazumu in Ep1 (gardening club, girly voice, very shy, uncomfortable with 'manly things' and the mens mags, etc.)
Actully, those were already mentioned in the manga. Well, except the men's mag.

Well, they ARE trying to show how girlish Hazumu is, and they did it well.

Spoiler for manga:

If you read that spoiler, it goes to show that its staying true to the manga (if thats the issue you are refering to).

@DragoonKain: Um, this IS a yuri anime. If you dont like yuri at all, then I dont advise you to watch it. It was specifically stated on pageone that its yuri-based seinin(sp?) anime aimed at young men audience.
Old 2006-01-13, 10:25   Link #107
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Can anyone tell me what the sub-titles in the two pictures below mean?

Spoiler for l33t:
Thanks.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 10:28   Link #108
Kuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Can anyone tell me what the sub-titles in the two pictures below mean?

Spoiler for l33t:
Thanks.
They look like faces. Yasuna looks happy, while Tomari is like "Huh"
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 10:34   Link #109
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro
They look like faces. Yasuna looks happy, while Tomari is like "Huh"
Seriously? Hmmm...I must be getting old.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 11:05   Link #110
Eclipze

I, for one, thought they were....
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-13, 11:13   Link #111
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrime
And as said in the first post, Kashimashi runs in Dengeki Library, a seinen (young men's) magazine. Romances are quite common in shonen and seinen manga (Ah! My Goddess, for example, runs in the seinen mag Kodansha Afternoon). Some knock them for being less "deep" or "meaningful" than the romances in shoujo or josei manga (and heavier on female fanservice than male), but they definitely exist.
Seinen romance don't have much emotional depth because their depth is in atmosphere. The romance is more mental / spiritual rather than emotional. Victorian Romance Emma is more about the commentary of the structure of society rather than about love. Most of the Ah! My Goddess stories are about remaining optimistic and diligent and trying your best than about love. Heck, I would even consider Aria and Mushishi, both serialized in seinen mags as romantic stories. The romance, rather than love-romance, is shown by enjoying life's little pleasures in the case of Aria, and how little events deemed supernatural can affect the outlook of villages and individuals in the case of Mushishi.

Now I know this is the worst choice of [superficial] show to pick in terms of following the bigger picture, but hopefully this can pull a Popotan and deliver some mind-_uck along with the jiggle counter.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 11:51   Link #112
monir
cho~ kakkoii

You see at first I was curious to find out why Yasuna rejects S/he but then the following scene comes up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Spoiler for l33t:
.....and all the curiosity along with sympathy for that character evaporates. Now the remaining reason to watch the show any further is Tomari because of the interesting position she is put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Now I know this is the worst choice of [superficial] show to pick in terms of following the bigger picture, but hopefully this can pull a Popotan and deliver some mind-_uck along with the jiggle counter.

Amen! Popotan was fantastic.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 11:59   Link #113
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
You see at first I was curious to find out why Yasuna rejects S/he but then the following scene comes up.....

.....and all the curiosity along with sympathy for that character evaporates.
Well, IF you read the manga, you'd know about Yasuna's "weird problem" when faced with men.

And as the anime showed, Yasuna wasn't able to see Hazumu's face because s/he was male. Its not just Hazumu she cant see, it applies to all men.

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2006-01-13, 12:51   Link #114
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Everytime I watch this I keep getting Gunslinger Girl flashbacks. I want Yasuna to pull out her little machine gun and lay waste to the cast .

Actually I like this show.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 14:07   Link #115
nsstrunks
The Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Well ask Team Tomari if they would be interested in a joint project venture. That way they will be able to encode hardsubs instead of releasing SRT. You will be happy and they will be happy knowing it will be harder for the thieves ripping off of their hardwork.
Thanks so much for the idea, TT and DA will do Kashimashi as a joint project. At least for a few weeks, TT doesn't want to do it for too long because then the anime will become less interesting.
nsstrunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 14:32   Link #116
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
This is called thinking too much. Though I do have to wonder about a civilization that thinks telling an entire planet that they accidently killed a young boy, but brought him back as a girl is a good idea. At least in the manga, they displayed some common sense by returning Hazuma to his... err her... yard fully clothed, rather than in the middle of the woods on a mountain naked like in the anime.

Besides the alien said it was an accident. We can either accept that, or assume the aliens are perverts who go around the universe turning guys into girls to satisfy their yuri fantasies.

edit:
My yuri fantasies can only be satisfied if Nemu and Sakura from Da Capo get together.
It wouldn't surprise me if the aliens deliberately turned Hazumu into a girl, as part of their observations. The crash looked like an accident, but after it happened, they might have said "well, we need to bring this kid back, while we're at it, let's make it interesting and get some data on this planet's gender differences." That would provide the author with a nice way out at the end--once Hazumu is together with either Yasuna or Tomari the aliens could say "OK, experiment over, thanks to you we've determined on your world love can be gender-blind" (or something) and then they turn Hazumu back into a boy. I mean, if you can completely reassemble a human being you've oblierated with a wang-shaped spaceship, you could sure as hell do something relatively minor like change gender.

Although since the manga's still running, I doubt we'll see an ending like that, it'll probably just be open-ended
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 14:47   Link #117
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload

Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Quote:
...and then they turn Hazumu back into a boy.
I'd turn hard gay for Hazumu <3.
Old 2006-01-13, 14:55   Link #118
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane_Shiroikaze
I'd turn hard gay for Hazumu <3.
Lol you Dokoru-Chan fanboy

Btw ANN has this listed as Kasimasi. Which one is right?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 15:09   Link #119
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload

Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Both are.

Kashimashi and Kasimasi are just two different ways of saying it.

Kashimashi/Kasimasi basically means "noisy", coming from a japanese proverb that says, "when three girls get together, it becomes noisy".

Personally, I prefer Kashimashi though.
Old 2006-01-13, 15:24   Link #120
kobun

I just saw this first ep, i dont know to continue, so can someone tell me how it is..

well it be comedy stuff like him touching his breast, going into girls bathrooms, and such hillriatly all stick around..

IF its the otherway, he likes being a girl, as by the ending. says i was women hear me roar.. then all pass.. seems a little to transgendery, and odd... all pass..
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, genderbender, romance, seinen, yuri