AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 79 54.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 27.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.68%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-02, 12:09   Link #61
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
Spoiler for :
Refer back to Macross 7.

Sound energy can revitalize biological organisms.

More evidence that Ranka is a Anima Spiritia user.
Old 2008-05-02, 12:29   Link #62
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Her true personality shown, quite nice and interesting. I actually like her now, she was rather cute instead of pretending to be stuck up.....
Yeah, I was thinking that. It's like when she first saw M-Frontier in the Deculture edition of episode 1. Her reaction was really cute when she saw the fleet for the first time. That's what I was expecting her to like originally.

Edit: Forgot my quote, I think that's what I was going to quote :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
I now realise that the reason why Michel picks on loli KK is likely due to feelings of inadequacy I doubt he can satisfy the girl when she's macro sized.
Give him a scuba suit and I'm sure he'll be alright I'll stop it now. One thing I want to know is whether or not Michel can be macronised.

Also, a nice episode, I do enjoy my slice of life type epis, and this was no exception.

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-05-02 at 13:12.
Old 2008-05-02, 13:20   Link #63
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Anyone know how the ratings have been in Japan for the last four weeks?
Decent for a late-night anime: around 2.5% of the audience for the past three weeks. In the same range as xxxHolic, Golgo13 and ToLoveRu; above Soul Eater and Code Geass; below Shugo Chara, Toshokan Sensou and Net Ghost PiPoPa, which are on earlier or during the day. Macross has jumped up to this level since it began, and xxxHolic was lower this past week than it was before. There are often accidental reasons for a show to dip, such as a special on opposite it.

We had better get used to the fact that in Japan, as elsewhere, anime are for kids, and kids' show have a far higher viewership than the shows we tend to discuss around here.

You can always get TV ratings from Siegel Clyne's posts in the Anime Viewer Ratings in Japan? thread in the General Anime forum. There is detailed and interesting discussion there, too.

You can also see results tabulated in Japanese on this site (although it doesn't happen to have results for Macross).

Macross ratings have been 1.1 - 2.7 - 2.3 - 2.6.

The detailed demographic ratings for Macross posted by Realist_Classic were interesting. Compare with similar ratings for other shows and another week, posted by Siegel Clyne:

HOME | KIDS | *TEEN | ***M1 | ***M2 | ***M3 | ***F1 | ***F2 | ***F3 | PROGRAM
--------------------------------------------------------------
*2.4% | *4.7% | *1.8% | *1.0% | *0.7% | *0.3% | *0.6% | *1.6% | *0.3% | SOUL EATER (2008/04/07 Kantou)
*2.6% | **.*% | *3.2% | *4.2% | *0.9% | *0.7% | *0.6% | *0.7% | *0.3% | To LOVE Ru -Trouble- (2008/04/11 Kantou)
*2.7% | **.*% | *0.3% | *4.2% | *2.5% | *0.2% | *1.0% | *1.2% | *0.2% | Macross FRONTIER (2008/04/12 Kantou)
*2.8% | **.*% | **.*% | *6.9% | *1.8% | *0.5% | **.*% | *0.4% | *0.4% | Golgo 13 (2008/04/12 Kantou)
*2.6% | *1.4% | *1.5% | *2.5% | *2.1% | *1.2% | *0.8% | *1.7% | *0.5% | Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 [Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2] (2008/04/13 Kantou)
*3.8% | *0.9% | *2.6% | *4.3% | *1.0% | *1.0% | *1.0% | *1.7% | *1.1% | Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 [Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2] (2008/04/13 Kansai)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-05-02 at 16:00.
Old 2008-05-02, 16:39   Link #64
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
One thing I want to know is whether or not Michel can be macronised.
I think any human can and vice versa, if we go by DYRL with Max. iirc
Old 2008-05-02, 18:18   Link #65
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I was particularly impressed on how Sheryl got Alto to follow her around for much of the episode.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:05   Link #66
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

It still kills me that a horribly shitty fanservice show like To-Love-Ru can post numbers on par with Frontier and Geass.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:15   Link #67
Westlo
Lets be reality

Lovely episode, playful Sheryl was great to watch and it was really nice to watch Sheryl and Alto's relationship develop over the course of this episode. The scenery was just great throughout the episode, I also really enjoyed both the Sheryl studio version of What ’bout my star?  as well as Ranka's live performance of it. Was nice to see some more Ozma and Kathy interaction.. hopefully Ozma survives.. Leon's the one who needs to die! Klein Klan was nice in this episode too, I got a chuckle when Mikhail saw her and turned around quickly.

Episode 6 looks good too, more Sheryl & Alto, Ranka gets signed, another Sheryl performance and some action as they head to Macross Galaxy.

Btw what did Sheryl say while watching the Ranka performance at the 19:40 mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that. It's like when she first saw M-Frontier in the Deculture edition of episode 1. Her reaction was really cute when she saw the fleet for the first time. That's what I was expecting her to like originally.
And they cut that scene out of the tv version so for people who missed the deculture edition their first impressions of her weren't the best.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:16   Link #68
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
I think any human can and vice versa, if we go by DYRL with Max. iirc
I guess, with Humans and Zen/Meltradi having the same genetics.

But remember, DYRL isn't canon and a movie within the series, it'd be kinda like believing some of the science fiction in some movies now.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:51   Link #69
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
yeah, dyrl was released in 2031.

so you only have to watch new films released about the late 80's to understand that Rambo did not take own the entire Burmanese Army.

Or Giants attack the 300 Spartans.

its propaganda of the human kind.
Old 2008-05-02, 21:55   Link #70
ApostleOfGod
^.^

You don't understand how much I want to watch this episode.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:14   Link #71
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
me etheir, yet the sub ara a bit slow, the cause maybe are the 2 insert song, but who cares abiut the sub when teh raws made you tremble ; Motteke!!!
Old 2008-05-03, 01:20   Link #72
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
It still kills me that a horribly shitty fanservice show like To-Love-Ru can post numbers on par with Frontier and Geass.
It's because it's Shonen Jump really. Shonen Jump series frequently post high ratings.
Old 2008-05-03, 03:33   Link #73
ReddyRedWolf

There are two things I realize about Alto in this episode.

1. He always has a piece of paper in his person for paper airplanes. He could have at least given Sheryl one, so she wont write on the merchandise.

2. He shouldn't really fly paper airplanes in the Zentradi sectors. He'll poke an eye with those things.
Old 2008-05-03, 03:42   Link #74
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

1. He always has a piece of paper in his person for paper airplanes. He could have at least given Sheryl one, so she wont write on the merchandise.

2. He shouldn't really fly paper airplanes in the Zentradi sectors. He'll poke an eye with those things.
but the plane is tiny. big fluttering zentradi eyelash will easily knock it aside.
Old 2008-05-03, 04:01   Link #75
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:

I thought that was a good scene because it showed how determined Sheryl is when it comes to seizing the creative moment (would make any GTD practitioner proud ). Very free-spirited, nothing can hold her down, which I believe is her character's 'message.'

Would be extra cool if the next episode has a brief 3 second scene in which Grace has to deal with a certain courier delivery from the Zentradi mall.
Old 2008-05-03, 06:42   Link #76
ani_d

Quote:

The writers were reserving Alto's paper for Ranka lol But you're right. That's a really good point.
Old 2008-05-03, 13:53   Link #77
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

Apparently Sheryl is like Clark/Superman... People don't recognize her until she takes off those sunglasses. Notice when she took it off everyone was screaming "Sheryl!!" ?? Then she runs into the subway with them back on and no one notices.

Although... the fact that just no one is staring at a hot girl with pink hair running around baffles me...

The giant Zentradi singing Enka was hilarious...

I think Ranka will be really popular with the Zentradi population and open her path to stardom thru Indies music and by word =D

I don't think it's jealousy that Sheryl feels for Ranka.. more like as a music artist, she truly sees the potential in Ranka and sees her as a rival and she's waiting for everyone to finally realize how good Ranka is.
Old 2008-05-04, 01:57   Link #78
nutype
Future MD

ranka is so friggin cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!

She's like the sister I never had that, all innocent and pouty and with a dream.

I find that her voice is a bit mature though, girls her age dont exactly sound like that.

well it seems obvious after watching this episode that:

alto x ranka, and maybe cheryl settling for someone like michel
Old 2008-05-04, 02:29   Link #79
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Welp, here's the Gattai version of episode 5: http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=17887

Actually confirms that Sheryl is a lot more crafty than she appears, although her wonder during the second half is genuine.

Also the lyrics for What 'Bout My Star will seem weird, but according to the translators:

Quote:
Ranka's song in this episode is in Gabriela Robin "Gablish", so if you're wondering why our translation of it makes no sense, it's because it doesn't. Yoko Kanno is funny like that.

---

Gablish: Like Engrish except she's not even TRYING is she

---

It's not Engrish, it's just how songs by Yoko Kanno tend to be. Look at GITS, Cowboy Bebop, whatever, you'll see several songs that amount to "using what language/ words sound best to her for the song, even if they make no sense".
Also of amusing note is that the Gattai crew included a Zentraedi font option so if you want to experience maximum culture, you may do so at your leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
ranka is so friggin cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!

She's like the sister I never had that, all innocent and pouty and with a dream.
Also if anyone else starts posting like this I may have to punch you in the nuts through the Internet, stop being creepy dammit

Quote:
I find that her voice is a bit mature though, girls her age dont exactly sound like that.l
I was a little weirded out about that when the show first aired, but I've come to really appreciate it. It is nice having a non-squeaky female lead in a show like this for once, and Ranka's VA gets better with every episode and holy shit she can sing.
Old 2008-05-04, 02:34   Link #80
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

After watching this, I am getting more and more excited about this anime series with each episode! MF is like Gundam Seed...it's introducing its franchise to the new and younger generations while still appealing to the old ones.

I think this anime is providing an incredible opportunity for lesser-known and/or younger seiyuus to take the spotlight and shine gloriously. I have every reason to believe that Aya Endo, Megumi Nakajima, and Yuuichi Nakamura are handling their roles incredibly well, especially Endo with Sheryl Nome. The character is portrayed in the beginning as stubborn, b*tchy, conceited, but professional. No doubt Endo's voice convinced me that Sheryl is such and it even made me hate the character. I'm sure that's what they intended for the audience to feel, so good job! They successfully convinced the audience. But after episode 5 we get to see and feel the other side of Sheryl, and although Endo provided a lot of playfulness into the voice, I am still convinced that the b*tchy Sheryl still exists, giving a more rounded portrayal of the character. Quite a few times I have seen seiyuus portray two sides of a character, and it comes off as "a character with multiple personalities," as opposed to "two sides of a character." That's REALLY tough to do in voice-work, I'm sure.

After watching ep5, I'm convinced that Sheryl and Ranka serve as foils of the other.

1) Height-wise: Sheryl's tall. Ranka's short.
2) Biological makeup: Sheryl's human. Ranka's...almost human (the part Zentradi blood).
3) Personalities: Sheryl's b*tchy (not to say she's like this all the time). Ranka's well-mannered.
4) Beauty: Sheryl's beautiful on the outside (not to say she's a bad person). Ranka's beautiful on the inside.
5) Singing-Skills: Sheryl's a professional. Ranka's an amateur (but still great!).
6) And the list can go on and on...

Have to see what's going to happen as time goes on. If there is a romance competition for Alto's heart, I have to say that whatever happens, both of them will have my blessings (I used to dislike Sheryl a lot, but ep5 changed that perception).
Closed Thread