AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-12, 00:29   Link #1
animelatino

Send a message via MSN to animelatino
Angry Del Rey Alters Negima Manga -

This report comes from anime corner store.

It has been reported today that author Ken
Akamatsu
was shocked by changes made to the English edition of his Negima manga, the
first
manga title announced by the Del Rey imprint of Random House, the first major
U.S.
book house to enter the manga market. From what we hear, underwear was drawn in
to
cover some exposed posteriors and strategically placed towels obscure breasts
bared
in the Japanese version. Akamatsu, best known in the U.S. for his tremendously
popular Love Hina manga series, made his comments about the American edition on
his
personal website. Dallas Middaugh, Director of Manga at Del Rey, confirmed that
some changes were made, but insisted that they were very minor. Please be
assured
that the panel changes do not affect the storyline in any way. These changes
were
an editorial decision based on our goal as a publishing house to get Ken
Akamatsu's
brilliant work into as many U.S. bookstores as possible, and in no way reflects
on
the quality of the original art.

Personally, we think this sucks. Del Rey sold manga fans out to the big book
chains
with their first release. What a shame....

I personally think that this sucks bad, If somebody knows a way to send a coment to Del Rey, like a email adress, let me know.
Old 2004-03-12, 01:18   Link #2
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Is this still true? Because I was under the impression that they decided not to censor it. Please see this thread:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
Old 2004-03-12, 04:09   Link #3
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

This is pretty old news.

This is from ANN:
Negima to not be censored (2004-02-27 15:07:22)
Dallas Middaugh, Director of Manga at Del Rey, has announced the following: "NEGIMA, Volume 1: Magister Negi, by Ken Akamatsu, will be published by Del Rey on April 27th as scheduled without any alterations to the author's original artwork and text. At the suggestion of one of our leading national book retailers, copies of NEGIMA will be shrinkwrapped with a label that states: "Contains Explicit Content, Ages 16+" on the front of the book."

The discussion is on this link.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...pic.php?t=5954
Old 2004-03-13, 04:25   Link #4
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Yes, just as fast as that "news" hit the sites, the contrary was proven. Negima will not be censored.
Old 2004-03-13, 10:16   Link #5
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
Yes, just as fast as that "news" hit the sites, the contrary was proven. Negima will not be censored.
Er, it WAS real news. And because so many people canceled their preorders and made a huge fuss over it, Del Rey changed their mind. It's well documented in the animeondvd forums.
Old 2004-05-26, 12:15   Link #6
mook

heyas im nuu here and all but i just wanted to say sumthing, i bought negima a week agao....from what i hear it should b uncencored yes? well now at least...im looks pretty cencored though.... every page o.o;; i think i bought a cencored version unless wat i hav now is the uncencored version which is totally WHACK XD
Old 2004-05-26, 12:51   Link #7
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
heyas im nuu here and all but i just wanted to say sumthing, i bought negima a week agao....from what i hear it should b uncencored yes? well now at least...im looks pretty cencored though.... every page o.o;; i think i bought a cencored version unless wat i hav now is the uncencored version which is totally WHACK XD
If you wanna be sure if what you have is uncensored buy 1 volume of the japanese version which is sure to be uncensored. Most online shops that sell manga often have those available as well.
Old 2004-05-26, 13:17   Link #8
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

It's uncensored, though they did make dialog changes throughout the volume (basically sexed it up)
Old 2004-05-26, 14:12   Link #9
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Yup, dialog changes galore, but no actual censoring. I posted a link to the AoD topic in the other Negima thread - go find that. It gives you specifics on what changes they actually made in the end.
Old 2004-05-26, 18:48   Link #10
InstantRamen

The dialog changes aren't that bad. Sure, they added in some lame jokes but it could have been much worse.
Old 2004-05-26, 20:08   Link #11
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
I agree, but I simply look at it this way:
There COULD have and SHOULD have been NO changes at all.
Especially since Companies are already too random with how they handle manga - randomly giving it bad and brilliant treatment. The more examples we get of fans 100% happy with a gold product, the better.

Especially, as this is exactly how the fans want it!
Especially as DelRey is new in manga; people simply will not buy their products, and they will not make as much money if they feel that they are not getting their moneys worth with an edited like that product.

Especially as there's been no reports of them doing this with the other 3 series they've picked up.

It really annoys me, because apart from the edited content, I LOVED their handling of it. Print quality was excellent, translation of the sound-effects handled well, I couldn't complain at the editing (like I usually can). It really is an excellent release, which is why it's annoying that they made these silly changes.

Well, we'll just have to see how they handle volume 2....

Also, just for those that didn't know: DelRey also didn't include COLOUR pages that were in the original Japanese volumes: But they did for the Clamp series they are doing!
It's just too random I tell ye! :/
Old 2004-05-26, 20:17   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Especially as there's been no reports of them doing this with the other 3 series they've picked up.
Gundam SEED, XXXholic, Tsubasa, and Negima
they have 4, not 3
they're definately going to get more, they have some kind of deal going on between themselves and Kodansha, so we can expect some announcements for 2005.
Old 2004-05-26, 21:46   Link #13
InstantRamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
I agree, but I simply look at it this way:
There COULD have and SHOULD have been NO changes at all.
Especially since Companies are already too random with how they handle manga - randomly giving it bad and brilliant treatment. The more examples we get of fans 100% happy with a gold product, the better.

Especially, as this is exactly how the fans want it!
Especially as DelRey is new in manga; people simply will not buy their products, and they will not make as much money if they feel that they are not getting their moneys worth with an edited like that product.

It really annoys me, because apart from the edited content, I LOVED their handling of it. Print quality was excellent, translation of the sound-effects handled well, I couldn't complain at the editing (like I usually can). It really is an excellent release, which is why it's annoying that they made these silly changes.

Well, we'll just have to see how they handle volume 2....

Also, just for those that didn't know: DelRey also didn't include COLOUR pages that were in the original Japanese volumes: But they did for the Clamp series they are doing!
It's just too random I tell ye! :/
Yeah, I agree with you. There really shouldn't be any changes at all. They are new playrs in the game and it would have been better if they didn't change anything. But, having said that, I'm really happy with their other releases. They even included color pages and all that jazz with XXX Holic. I don't know why Negima was different.
Old 2004-05-26, 22:39   Link #14
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantRamen
Yeah, I agree with you. There really shouldn't be any changes at all. They are new playrs in the game and it would have been better if they didn't change anything. But, having said that, I'm really happy with their other releases. They even included color pages and all that jazz with XXX Holic. I don't know why Negima was different.
the color pages for XXXholic were kind of blah, just some smoke and stuff
Old 2004-05-26, 23:05   Link #15
InstantRamen

^ Yeah, but the point is they were printed in color. Most don't do that (Viz, Tokyopop).
Old 2004-05-27, 01:14   Link #16
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

If the
Spoiler:
scene is in the Gundam Seed manga it will probably censor that though I'm unsure if that was in the Gundam Seed manga. Also some of the heavy bloody violence later in that series.

The dialogue changes didn't seem that severe to me. The one on the train fit since the girls were teasing him in the manga anyways. It's actually more like they moved the sex joke from the bottom of the page to the top really. The cookie joke was a bit more serious though since it makes negi look goofier and more like keitaro which is the main thing that sits negima apart from love hina (the lack of the perverted loser main character typical to this genre). Hopefully will be no more of this in later releases but if they can keep it to one small gripe a manga and keep it uncensored (wasn't even anything to censor really) I'll be happy.

Last edited by Sanjuronord; 2004-05-27 at 02:17.
Old 2004-05-27, 01:14   Link #17
Kyuven

Quote:
^ Yeah, but the point is they were printed in color. Most don't do that (Viz, Tokyopop).
ADV does it often enough (with FMP, Azumanga, and a few others) and Tokyopop has a few with color pages (Mahoromatic for instance)
Del Rey is #3 on my favorite companies list, which goes:
1) ADV
2) TOKYOPOP (love em or hate em, they have the most stuff and release them fairly regularly)
3) Del Rey
4) Viz
5-whatever) every other company
whater+1) Dark Horse (TOO EXPENSIVE)
Old 2004-05-27, 08:55   Link #18
InstantRamen

Yeah, I knew that ADV did print in color, but I didn't know Tokyopop did. Well, that's not true because there are some pages of Saiyuki that are colored in the front. But the majority of their releases don't have color pages.

Either way, I think Del Rey is doing a pretty decent job. They keep in honorifics, they don't paste translations of the sound effects over the original japanese ones, etc. It could be a lot worse. A lot worse.
Old 2004-05-27, 09:09   Link #19
Kyuven

Quote:
Yeah, I knew that ADV did print in color, but I didn't know Tokyopop did. Well, that's not true because there are some pages of Saiyuki that are colored in the front. But the majority of their releases don't have color pages.

Either way, I think Del Rey is doing a pretty decent job. They keep in honorifics, they don't paste translations of the sound effects over the original japanese ones, etc. It could be a lot worse. A lot worse.
it could be Dark Horse worse ^_^;
and most american manga will only have a couple color pages
and when i mean most i mean 99% of the ones that have ANY color pages
Old 2004-05-27, 12:49   Link #20
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

I don't think the missing colored pages were really that big a deal, the 2 page pic would have been nice in color, but with the paper stock they used I dunno how good it would have looked. They should have just included that same pic as a little poster in color since the book was gonna be shrinkwrapped anyways. Just flip the whole shrinkwrap thing into a positive.
Closed Thread