AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-16, 06:58   Link #41
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
lol it will go to 3DS before it goes back to PS3. As far as the Japanese market is concerned, handheld is king. 3DS is going to get more 3rd party support than the Wii in its first year alone lol.
Which isn't bad in and of itself, but for a game series that started out on a very powerful standalone console, it's very disappointing that it's staying on a less-capable system.

I eventually will get a PSP and VC2, but when VC2 was announced, I was hoping for a VC3... back on PS3. This is a pretty disappointing development. I mean, it's nice that we're getting a VC3 and the trailer was pretty sweet, but I cannot stress how disappointed I am that the series isn't returning to PS3.

I am much more willing to spend pre-order/first day money for a console game than I ever would for a handheld version of anything, even if it were a long-awaited sequel for my favorite series ever...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 08:06   Link #42
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
This looks like a vast improvement over the 2nd game.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 09:00   Link #43
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I am much more willing to spend pre-order/first day money for a console game than I ever would for a handheld version of anything, even if it were a long-awaited sequel for my favorite series ever...
Same here, I also have issue with needing to go out and buy a whole other console (handheld or otherwise) to continue a series. I wouldn't mind as much if the series started on PSP, but this way it just feels like they're trying to take advantage. Similar thing happened with Assassin's creed and the chunk of the story they put on the PSP .

Not to mention I don't really have a need for a portable console so I'd be getting it just for the game, which reduces the value somewhat. I'll probably still end up getting a PSP and VC2/3 at some point, but it is going to be somewhat begrudgingly.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 09:27   Link #44
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Reading an English description of VC3 on RPGamer.com, I'm pleased with the apparent direction that SEGA is taking with the game (remove MP, focus on SP, story like VC1, consolidation of character classes, etc.) but a bit wary of modifications they'll be making to the battle system (adding actions doesn't sound bad NOW... but depends on what they add).

I just hope that VC eventually makes it way back to PS3 where it belongs...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 09:30   Link #45
DC20

My problem with portable consoles is that I have absolutely no want to play them when I'm not on the move or waiting for a short while between whatever I need to take care of on a given day. If I have a 10 minute wait between one thing I have to do and another I'll pull out a portable and play a game for a bit. It's easy. However, when time isn't a factor I'll always opt to play an actual system. The problem with VC2/3 being on a portable is that they aren't games I can really pick up and play for 5 minutes at a time - I need a longer chunk to really get anything done. They're not games you can pick up and play with for a few minutes and get anywhere, and to me that defeats the entire purpose of a portable system.

Trailer looks interesting, but I already have a feeling I'm not going to like the three main characters. If the main hero is going to be all dark and angsty and constantly have a scowl painted on his face he'd better have a damn good reason for it, because otherwise it doesn't make him look like a badass so much as a whiny *****.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 09:38   Link #46
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

^Yea only handheld I carry with me is my DSi cause it's easier and quicker to just jump in and play whatever but PSP isn't so.
VC is def something that you just can't jump into for 5-10 mins of play.

saying that tho I do think I will be getting this and skipping out on VC2.

Which reminds me I gotta go get a new charger for my PSP>_<
Old 2010-09-16, 10:37   Link #47
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I just hope that VC eventually makes it way back to PS3 where it belongs...
If they release it as an upscaled PSN version or even PS2 version i would buy it day one, but another PSP game?
After playing VC2 i think this series is dead for me, the buttons, stick and digi-pad are the worst designed control options for a handheld. Tried playing it on TV, but cable was too short. Give me PS3/2 port
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 11:16   Link #48
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Main site was updated as well, looks like. Can't view the video on there though :(. At least I can't see it.
Here, let me help...

VC3 website video (yes, they actually host it on YouTube, but opted to have it 'unlisted')

The trailer does a good job in piquing folks' interest. Some things which came to my attention...
  • the Penal Corps' battledress is, sensibly, less visible at range than the standard version (whose coloration is for some reason reminding me of old-school Cobra troopers, as manifested in G.I. Joe: Resolute);
  • apparently, Penal Corps personnel are referred to by numbers and not names. I am not sure if any actual penal units do/did this, but - ironically - this trait is shared by Imperial stromtroopers over in 'Star Wars'.
  • the mineplows seen here are apparently 'backwards' - isn't the point to shove the mines away from the tracks, not into them?
  • we have go on psycho-blonde-brat - as noted for the adolescent Valkyria back in VC2, drilling some sense into her might be fun;
  • yes, Imperial Darscens. It'll be interesting to see how this is explained/plays out...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 11:30   Link #49
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I am not sure if any actual penal units do/did this, but - ironically - this trait is shared by Imperial stromtroopers over in 'Star Wars'.
Not for the same reasons, though, I think. Even so, the 'You have no name, no history, no chance. You are to die in this war." is quite the dark turn for the series.

Quite a few around here are cheering, I can hear them. I'm just looking forward to what they're going to do with the opportunities that this creates.
Old 2010-09-16, 11:52   Link #50
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Not for the same reasons, though, I think. Even so, the 'You have no name, no history, no chance. You are to die in this war." is quite the dark turn for the series.

Quite a few around here are cheering, I can hear them. I'm just looking forward to what they're going to do with the opportunities that this creates.
From a literary standpoint, those are double-edged opportunities... this crucible could give birth to heroes (what folks might be expecting), traitors (would be quite a sharp turn, but if they can make one 'quite dark turn', as you put it, why not another?), or a mix of both.

And yes, I find myself agreeing with DC20 in terms of the PSP being a poor platform for this type of game (and, as long as we're here, Ace Combat), given that these games really can't be played in small chunks at a time...
Old 2010-09-16, 12:09   Link #51
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regards the two-tone hair color - it's possible in real life, though not as neatly as what's scene - if you're like me, and have certain quirks in your genes, your hair starts turning white at 12. currently what happens is I have a lot of white laced through my back, and enough at certain parts to appear as random patches of white on black, particularly when viewed from certain angles.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 13:11   Link #52
Firefly00

ReynardNavarro@GameFAQs raises an interesting point, which I will quote here...

Quote:
Rather than being simply a name, after watching the trailer it sounds like it's pretty accurate, and possibly part of the punishment. At first I didn't think much of everyone being labeled with a big red number (Kurt being 7, Riera being 13, etc), as it wouldn't surprise me any if any and all squads also gave their units an identification number within the squad itself.

And really, Nameless is something the Japanese could easily call a group just for the sake of the foreign sounding coolness factor, but Kurt actually says, near the end of the trailer, that he will take back his name, as if it was actually revoked. Obviously we all see/use their names, but are they actually legally taken from them as a form of punishment? Maybe a way to preserve anonymity when their deaths are inevitably reported so family members don't realize what happened?

Probably a pointless observation, but one I thought I'd share since I hadn't seen anyone else comment on or point it out.
Source

There is a saying: 'the brighter the light, the deeper the shadows'. If the above speculation is true - that units like this are deliberately 'unperson-ed' and basically tossed into the proverbial grinder - then Gallia's shadows seem deep indeed... this is the sort of thing folks might have expected from the Empire, after all.

And it does make me wonder if somewhere down the line, this practice might spur a chain of events similar to what we see in The Rock...

This said, it could be that Kurt's vow works on more than one level - the possibility exists that at some prior point, he'd already been disowned by his family.
Old 2010-09-16, 14:51   Link #53
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Here, let me help...

VC3 website video (yes, they actually host it on YouTube, but opted to have it 'unlisted')
Thanks for finding that . I noticed it was linked to YouTube but when I tried to get to it all it said was that I wasn't authorized to view it or something .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regards the two-tone hair color - it's possible in real life, though not as neatly as what's scene - if you're like me, and have certain quirks in your genes, your hair starts turning white at 12. currently what happens is I have a lot of white laced through my back, and enough at certain parts to appear as random patches of white on black, particularly when viewed from certain angles.
Now that I think of it, I know a few people with hair like what you're describing. I guess "dirty blonde" hair also has that two tone thing going on too. Like you said though, probably won't find anybody with that perfect gradient change.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 15:58   Link #54
iceyfw

must... resist... buying... a... psp
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 22:46   Link #55
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Search your feelings, you know it to be true...

That said, I think a lot of people are being won over by the darker and edgier feel to this game than VC2 (which was fun but still idealistic and cheerful - which actually would be how things are - the cadets would be fairly insulated from the effects of war).

What bugs me are the giant gunblade; it's too fucking big to aim properly, so I assume it's some sort of mortar ala Davy Crockett, and it has that hugeass bayonet... Well, we'll see how things go.

Trailer shows a meeting between Kurt and Welkin, shaking hands...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:36   Link #56
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Looks like the time line happened in the 1st VC, but with a different perspective on the other side of the battle field.

I hope that I interpret the trailer right
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:45   Link #57
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

With Endou Aya and Yuuichi Nakamura, we need Tomakazu Suigita as the major antagonist of this game with the evil chick voiced by Asami Imai ("I WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR THIS! HAZAMA!")
Old 2010-09-16, 23:49   Link #58
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

is the class change system also going to be in the third VC installment? has it been confirmed?
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 02:38   Link #59
DC20

I completely agree with you, Goose, on that giant gun/sword/whatever the hell that thing is. It's WAY too big to be able to ever use. In fact, I think the Armored Tech class is bullshit as well. I mean, seriously? Giant swords? Fuck that.

Anyway, I'm a bit scepctical about the whol edarekr edgier thing. Would it be great if they could pull it off:? yeah. I'm worried that their definition of darker/edgier though is more equivelant to "Whiny bitch story" than it is to "mature".
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 07:59   Link #60
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC3alpha View Post
is the class change system also going to be in the third VC installment? has it been confirmed?
No confirmations, but supposedly there will be a smaller cast and more individualized growth patterns... seems to me that class changing would be necessary to make this work. I doubt it would exist in the exact same form, however.