AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should post count be shown along with rep
Yes 3 21.43%
No 10 71.43%
I don't care 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-25, 20:08   Link #1
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Why post count is only shown in profile

I was wondering if people would like to see their post count next to their rep?
And why your post count can only be viewed in your profile? yet rep is visible when posting under your avatar.

Most other forums show post count, seeing someones post count could be good to see how active they are on AnimeSuki without having to go into their profile.

I don't think most people would mind other people seeing them with a low post next to their rep so is there a particular reason post count is only visible in your profile.

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-03-25 at 21:13.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:20   Link #2
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
I was wondering if people would like to see their post count next to their rep and why your post count can only be viewed in your profile yet rep is visible when posting under your avatar?
This may help you find answers.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:26   Link #3
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Thanks, maybe they should have another poll for whether post count is displayed since only 88 people voted and it was nearly a tie, this site has more then 88 members so most people didn't get a say.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:30   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I was wondering if people would like to see their post count next to their rep?
And why your post count can only be viewed in your profile? yet rep is visible when posting under your avatar.

Most other forums show post count, seeing someones post count could be good to see how active they are on AnimeSuki without having to go into their profile.

I don't think most people would mind other people seeing them with a low post next to their rep so is there a particular reason post count is only visible in your profile.
No. The reason why the forum currently doesn't have it is because having the number constantly displayed makes people focus on it. It encourages people to make a lot of posts simply so that their number is bigger than everyone else's. We're better off when people make quality, well-thought out posts, yet those types of posts take time to make and aren't so great for raising your post count.

It's nice to see a person's post count if you're really interested, and so it's nice that it's displayed in the profile. There's no good reason to display it prominently outside of the profile.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:36   Link #5
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
No. The reason why the forum currently doesn't have it is because having the number constantly displayed makes people focus on it. It encourages people to make a lot of posts simply so that their number is bigger than everyone else's. We're better off when people make quality, well-thought out posts, yet those types of posts take time to make and aren't so great for raising your post count.

It's nice to see a person's post count if you're really interested, and so it's nice that it's displayed in the profile. There's no good reason to display it prominently outside of the profile.
I only currently have 141 posts and I think displaying post count is good.

There are Good and bad reasons to displaying post counts but I think it makes more sense to display it since people will want to see how many posts someone has made without going into their profile so they can see how active a member is (or themselves).
Old 2012-03-25, 20:49   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I don't know how many posts I have unless I check, I don't care, and I think it's bad. What of it?

Quote:
There are Good and bad reasons to displaying post counts but I think it makes more sense to display it since people will want to see how many posts someone has made without going into their profile so they can see how active a member is (or themselves).
I've told you the reason it would be bad: it encourages spam. Spam is the absolute bane of any communication medium, and forums are no exception. If there is any one thing that should be avoided at all costs, it's spam. Do you disagree?

What's the good reason to displaying a post count? "You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile), but that's only if I take interest in a user. If I see them posting, they're active, and does it really matter whether they're more or less active compared to someone else? Is it really that much effort to go into a user profile? Is it really that interesting to see everyone's post counts?

I'm not trying to say that post counts are useless. It's an interesting bit of info about someone. I just don't think it's critical information, and it's definitely not worth the risk of spam that it tends to encourage.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:54   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

If you're really interested enough you'd look at the profile. Having posted here for years, I think it's a nice touch. This forum cultivates more mature discussion than most anime websites and I can see why they wouldn't want to chance the extra spam for what is ultimately a minor change.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:54   Link #8
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
I don't know how many posts I have unless I check, I don't care, and I think it's bad. What of it?

I've told you the reason it would be bad: it encourages spam. Spam is the absolute bane of any communication medium, and forums are no exception. If there is any one thing that should be avoided at all costs, it's spam. Do you disagree?

What's the good reason to displaying a post count? "You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile), but that's only if I take interest in a user. If I see them posting, they're active, and does it really matter whether they're more or less active compared to someone else? Is it really that much effort to go into a user profile? Is it really that interesting to see everyone's post counts?

I'm not trying to say that post counts are useless. It's an interesting bit of info about someone. I just don't think it's critical information, and it's definitely not worth the risk of spam that it tends to encourage.
In your previous post you said there's no good reason to display post count yet in both of your posts you've been telling me good reasons for displaying post count, the blue writing is your posts:

"You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile),

You say there's no good reason yet you keep listing good reasons.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:58   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
In your previous post you said there's no good reason to display post count yet in both of your posts you've been telling me good reasons for displaying post count, the blue writing is your posts:

"You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile),

You say there's no good reason yet you keep listing good reasons.
OK, let me make this very clear:
There is NO GOOD REASON to display the post count under a person's avatar.

I want you to understand that I agree with you that the post count is interesting. I don't want you to think that I'm disagreeing with you because I don't care about the post count. Is that better?
Old 2012-03-25, 21:04   Link #10
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
OK, let me make this very clear:
There is NO GOOD REASON to display the post count under a person's avatar.

I want you to understand that I agree with you that the post count is interesting. I don't want you to think that I'm disagreeing with you because I don't care about the post count. Is that better?
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but you have been saying there's no good reason yet you list good reasons for post counts (like I quoted in the blue text in my previous post).

On the poll that closed post counts only 88 people voted so not everyone got their say and the poll was nearly a tie:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...highlight=post

However I don't see any mods making the post count visible anyway since most people on Animsuki don't seem to go in this section to state their opinion about having post count visible when posting.
Old 2012-03-25, 21:16   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but you have been saying there's no good reason yet you list good reasons for post counts (like I quoted in the blue text in my previous post).
I'm going to repeat myself one more time.

There is a good reason to have a post count somewhere in the forum. There is no good reason to have it shown outside of the user profile. I have explained why, and I don't see you offering any counter arguments.

If you still think that I'm offering conflicting opinions then I'll assume that you're trolling.

Quote:
On the poll that closed post counts only 88 people voted so not everyone got their say and the poll was nearly a tie:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...highlight=post
I don't know why you keep bringing that poll up. Don't you realize that it's from 2004? That was eight years ago. The fact that eight years passed without anyone complaining about the post count should tell you something about how much users care about the issue.
Old 2012-03-25, 21:19   Link #12
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
I'm going to repeat myself one more time.

There is a good reason to have a post count somewhere in the forum. There is no good reason to have it shown outside of the user profile. I have explained why, and I don't see you offering any counter arguments.

If you still think that I'm offering conflicting opinions then I'll assume that you're trolling.

I don't know why you keep bringing that poll up. Don't you realize that it's from 2004? That was eight years ago. The fact that eight years passed without anyone complaining about the post count should tell you something about how much users care about the issue.

Maybe people don't complain about post count being invisible since they don't think mods will listen, I don't expect anyone to listen to me for example about making post counts visible when posting.

I just wondered what people thought about this, I'm not trying to troll I was only trying to point something out to you (that you were contradicting yourself) but never mind I won't mention it again.

Good reason for post counts

Like I said on the 1st post of this thread "seeing someones post count could be good to see how active they are on AnimeSuki without having to go into their profile.

I don't think most people would mind other people seeing them with a low post next to their rep so is there a particular reason post count is only visible in your profile."

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-03-25 at 21:48.
Old 2012-03-25, 23:05   Link #13
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

As Ledgem already mentioned, not displaying your post count under reputation is a practical choice made to avoid spam posting habits.

When you think about it, seeing someone's post count doesn't really tell you all that much, and to show you an example, you need to look no further that my own profile:

http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=32539

I have a post count of 6282 and from that, you could assume that I am a very active member here; Truth to be told, I was a lot more active in my first years than I am currently and my post count doesn't really say anything about how active I am now.

Quote:
Thanks, maybe they should have another poll for whether post count is displayed since only 88 people voted and it was nearly a tie, this site has more then 88 members so most people didn't get a say.
While it's true that we have made recent changes based on our members feedback (i.e: the sig rules), we simply can't use popular opinion to determine everything.
Old 2012-03-26, 00:01   Link #14
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Displaying post count=spam. Lots of it.

Also, why do you care how active a member is? They posted, simple as that. Course, you might be more interested if it was a friend, but then why don't you just click on their profiles?

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2012-03-26, 02:31   Link #15
larethian

Quote:

I've seen this and totally agree with this issue. It makes me waste time checking on threads I thought I'll be interested in and will flood the "today's posts/new posts" section. It might also give more work to the mods.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:38   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Showing post count is terrible. I've seen all sorts of forums where people are derided for low post counts (Their opinions are invalid because they post so little) or other silly behavior. It doesn't add anything to the conversation really, just gives another reason for people to flame others.

Honestly if you're so curious just look at their profile. It's not that hard.
Old 2012-03-26, 04:07   Link #17
HasuMasu
*Artist

Just look at their profile, if they're profile is set to private then it's not for you to see.
Old 2012-03-26, 04:38   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

TimeMask, did you ever heard the phrase "Don't fix something that's not broken"?
Old 2012-03-26, 05:08   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Showing post count is terrible. I've seen all sorts of forums where people are derided for low post counts (Their opinions are invalid because they post so little) or other silly behavior. It doesn't add anything to the conversation really, just gives another reason for people to flame others.
Agreed on some forums I've seen that too in the past too.
MAL
Old 2012-03-26, 06:06   Link #20
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
TimeMask, did you ever heard the phrase "Don't fix something that's not broken"?
I said before that I don't expect a mod to start displaying the post count, this thread is just to see people opinions.

@Daniel E. you said we can't use popular opinion to decide anything but wasn't there a poll that decided to close post count? and a poll is based on popular opinion.

I don't see anyone posting who wants to see post count which probably means they know their opinion will not make a difference.

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-03-26 at 06:29.
Closed Thread

Tags
post count, rep