AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-05, 11:47   Link #1
marijke
HobbyWitch

Molly Star Racer / Oban - Star Racer (French - Japanese Co-Production)

I got the promo today and i have to say that i'm really looking forward to it, it looks so different. Anybody know the story or where it comes from ??
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 11:58   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Google can provide a wealth of links with lots of information.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 16:54   Link #3
marijke
HobbyWitch

eheheheh well normally the anime listed here is quite hard to find...this one apparantley isn't ... eeheheheh sorry 'bout that
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 15:48   Link #4
The dreamer

Here is the first site who discover this serie (when the realisators was still students )
www.catsuka.com (french)
Now it's produc whith japan but it's quite a while this serie is in developpement (the promo have 5 years i think...)
http://www.catsuka.com/interf/new_index.html
Click the big rose !
http://www.catsuka.com/molly/index2.htm#
The dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 16:07   Link #5
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

That animation style pwns!

Hmm, actually, the 3D is a little campy, remniscent of Chibi Gundam. But the character designs are funny ^^
Old 2006-04-15, 14:38   Link #6
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Oban - Star Racer (French - Japanese Co-Production)

I was kind of surprised no one around here made a topic on this. Atleast, nothing from what I can tell.

Anyways, this series as probably most know, is a co-production between France and Japan, in which will be airing in America this Summer. The first two episodes aired in france, and I managed to watch them.

Let me just say this off the bat, the series has a heavy anime feel to it, even if it doesn't have the usual anime style. The main episode itself was animated by HAL, which pretty much almost the entire first episode was mainly 2D animation. The actual 3D bits were animated by Sav! the World's Studio. The character designs follow a uniqueness to them, not something you usually see.

The music wise, it's pretty awsome. The episode music itself was done by Taku Iwasaki and Toshiaki Ohta. (Though, I don't know which one write or composed the music, however. The ending mentioned Toshiaki Ohta as the Music Producer.) The opening theme and ending theme was done by Yoko Kanno, and was sung by Akino (Op) and Sukoshi (ED). The french TV Opening was a condensed version, and was sung by a french vocalist Christèle Labonne, however the ending, while condensed, was still sung by Sukoshi. The ending song was a very slow paced song, which surprisingly was all Japanese. (Unlike the Opening) It pretty much shows some images of Molly as she was younger, and her family.

Getting into the episode itself, the plot actually follows a rather interesting mix. For the whole first episode, there's almost no mention of racing. The actual plot for the whole first episode pretty much has the young girl "Molly" (Take note of "") escaping a school and getting accepted into a company. At first it sounds simple, but there's a whole plot reason I'd rather not spoil.

I'll probably post a summary here later. But has anyone here else seen it?
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 14:45   Link #7
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Wow, it aired? We've been looking for this forever O_O;

We subbed the promo of this years ago, back when it was "Molly Star Racer". I didn't even realize it was going to air in America

I want copies, hehe.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 14:47   Link #8
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Wow, it aired? We've been looking for this forever O_O;

We subbed the promo of this years ago, back when it was "Molly Star Racer". I didn't even realize it was going to air in America

I want copies, hehe.

-Tofu
Started airing April 12th.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 16:06   Link #9
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I didn't know Taku Iwasaki and Yoko Kanno were involved. Wow, that's something you don't see (hear) too often.

I've been waiting for this one and haven't seen any raws and such. Hope it will surface soon. I enjoyed the original pilot immensely.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 16:34   Link #10
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
It looks absolutely terrible.

Molly Star Racer was a dream of things to come... but once they finally finished the end product, boy, was it disappointing to look at.

EDIT: Well, maybe not "absolutely", but I am just disappointed that the show didn't turn out the way I expected... People might enjoy it, but my opinion is just too colored already.. 8(

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-04-15 at 16:44.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 19:35   Link #11
cry
Berry Bunny

i'm happy to see it in france so quickly. the two episodes which aired are really good.
Old 2006-04-20, 15:21   Link #12
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Question back in town

Well, it looks like i'm in the right place at the bad time, or...
Whatever, i'll have a look at that when i come back... unless Live-Evil takes the project. lol
Tofusensei i'm counting on you.
And i'll read Chibigoku's reviews too. thanks
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 20:56   Link #13
kingofrabbits

Lightbulb Oban Star Racers (Molly Star racer) released!

Just picked up the news on the savtheworld.com website:

US broadcast dates
Oban Star-Racers airs an hour-long premiere Monday, June 5 during Jetix on Toon Disney Jetix (8:30 p.m. ET/PT), with encore airings on Friday, June 9, (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) and Saturday, June 10, (10:30 a.m. ET/PT) on ABC Family.
Half-hour episodes will air in the regular timeslots on Toon Disney Jetix, Mondays (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) and Saturdays (10:30 a.m. ET/PT) on ABC Family.

ANybody saw it yet?

Rabbit
kingofrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 21:30   Link #14
kingofrabbits

Cool Oban Star-Racers (aka Molly Star-Racer) released in the US!

Hi there,

I don't know if many of you remember the hot little trailer from 2001 called "Molly Star-Racer".
The creators moved to Japan and produced in Tokyo a full 26 half hour series there now called "Oban Star-Racers" in collaboration with anime studio Hal Film Maker.
It looks like it turned out for the best, judging from the trailer.
Just heard it was being released in the US but missed it yesterday. Any one seen it?

For info:

From news section of www.savtheworld.com:
Oban Star-Racers airs an hour-long premiere Monday, June 5 during Jetix on Toon Disney Jetix (8:30 p.m. ET/PT), with encore airings on Friday, June 9, (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) and Saturday, June 10, (10:30 a.m. ET/PT) on ABC Family.
Half-hour episodes will air in the regular timeslots on Toon Disney Jetix, Mondays (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) and Saturdays (10:30 a.m. ET/PT) on ABC Family.

Original opening by Yoko Kanno apparently remoded and butchered in the US can be still be seen on the French Oban website (video section): www.obanstarracers.fr
kingofrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 00:42   Link #15
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

I'll put my input real quick on the US version. I'm a little displeased on the Voice choosen for Molly, as it at times makes her sound way too young. However, for the most part, the voice cast for the show is pretty solid. Dialog wise, I believe alot of it is kept close to the original.

The Music issue, the main episode music is left intact. The Opening and ending, however, has been completely changed. The animation is kept intact, but the new song ruins the flow of the animation. (Considering both opening and endings were in Japanese.) It's a little annoying, especially sense I wanted to hear the full ending song. (The french version at most, has only played 40 seconds of the song.)

As for cuts, almost none. Most cuts were just time cuts (and whenever there was a commercial break, usually about 1 - 4 seconds were lost during that fade-out and fade-in from commercial breaks, but that's all). There's one scene, I can't remember if it was in the english version. Molly meets the prince when she first begins to look around the place. The scene was abotu a minute or two long. Regardless if this was cut, it isn't a permanent one, as Molly reconises the Prince later on, which pretty much acknoledges the scene took place.

But, that's about it. Though, I'm a little worried about a scene that'll happen in a bit.

Spoiler for Episode 4 or 5 spoilers:

Hopefully, Disney doesn't have any problems with it...
Old 2006-06-24, 10:14   Link #16
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Having seen the episodes currently airing in france, this series keeps getting better and better.

Spoiler for Episode 11 and 12 (MAJOR SPOILERS):

I'll post more soon, but that's about it.

You know though, the music in this series is really amazing. I'm really surprised Savin managed to get two well known japanese composers to work on this, including Yoko Kanno for the op/ed. While this isn't really a 100% true anime, it is however a really truely well done co-production, better than IGPX I would say. More surprising is how HAL's animation is on this series. (Episode 12's 90% done on the japanese TEAM, almost no 3D animation.)

While alot may look at this show first off as a racing anime, there's something deeper happening here, and it gets more evident as the episode proceed. (Episode 12 has no racing, except for that small bit near the end of the episode. Than again, so did episode 1.) I'm getting more and more curious where the direction of this series is going to turn.

*Wonders what episode 13 will be about...*
Old 2006-06-28, 02:21   Link #17
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Well, Watched as far as the US run (couldn't find the Fre one) and so far I'm liking it, it's infantely better than IGXP as no one realy cared about that untill they started swearing about two weeks back.

Seriously, the show's only being watched so everyone can see how far CN can take the TV-PG rating.

O:SR on the other hand, is something else altogether, good chracters, enjoy able mix of F-zero and Princess Nine (or something), I like it.

Incidently, HAL are the same as HAL LABS by any chance cause if so, Ninty might have a killer franchise in the wings
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 05:57   Link #18
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san
Incidently, HAL are the same as HAL LABS by any chance cause if so, Ninty might have a killer franchise in the wings
You would think, but they've animated alot of other properties other than just Nintendo stuff.
Old 2006-06-28, 08:37   Link #19
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

You can never expect much with a cocktail of Cartoon Network and 'anime,' IMO. Other than Adult Swim, Cartoon Network for the most part just tries to show 'anime' cartoons that they think is true anime, which it isn't.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 18:18   Link #20
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
You can never expect much with a cocktail of Cartoon Network and 'anime,' IMO. Other than Adult Swim, Cartoon Network for the most part just tries to show 'anime' cartoons that they think is true anime, which it isn't.
1) Oban doesn't air on Cartoon Network. It airs on Jetix.
2) Miguzi block varies but usually has repeats of some anime.
3) Toonami block is entirely anime.
4) US produced cartoons are animated too.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote