AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-21, 04:28   Link #241
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
There's a reason why I added a 'True' to True Haruhist lol

And there's a reason Haruhism has split into all sorts of -isms.

I've been using True Haruhist as the term to group people who really are Haruhists and not just fans of the show. Though a True Haruhist can also vary between someone who agrees or relates with Haruhi to someone who worship her fanatically for her ideals.

In the first place Haruhism was very simple especially because there weren't that many people who watched the show, but had considerally higher percentage who saw the wonder that was Haruhi-sama.

But as the popularity bursts exponentially, True Haruhists became rare as fans who did not view the story because of a core similarity became more. Today, in the enormous fanbase of Haruhi, True Haruhists are extremely rare.
Well, is that a Singapore or worldwide trend??
In my Singapore friend circle, most of my male friends don't really bother about Haruhi actually. Usually the females/hardcores. In Japan, of course, it's covering all genders.

The males that do, are usually Yukists.
The females are either Haruhiists (yes, PURE Haruhiists) or Sasakiists (if they have the book until that far)
The hardcores are either Kyonists or Haruhiists.
The perverts are Mikuruists.
Old 2008-11-21, 04:29   Link #242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There are a lot of followers of St. Nagato-chi
Old 2008-11-21, 04:50   Link #243
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Well, is that a Singapore or worldwide trend??
In my Singapore friend circle, most of my male friends don't really bother about Haruhi actually. Usually the females/hardcores. In Japan, of course, it's covering all genders.

The males that do, are usually Yukists.
The females are either Haruhiists (yes, PURE Haruhiists) or Sasakiists (if they have the book until that far)
The hardcores are either Kyonists or Haruhiists.
The perverts are Mikuruists.
The Singaporean males I meet are quite split 50/50 at True Haruhists and others, meaning majority are Haruhists who see Haruhi similar to what I do. My brother sees it the same as me, but he doesn't call her Haruhi-sama or pray to her like I do lol

I haven't found a single female who watched Haruhi, all guys, thats because I've been spreading Haruhiism in army until 2 months ago when I'm finally out.

I should really meet some female Haruhists.

In the first place, the True Haruhists I know are all from AS, Haruhi brought me into AS and I had the highest number of posts in this subforum while the show aired and shortly after. These True Haruhists are of course from all over the world. So you can call it worldwide.

In the first place there was only Haruhism, it was created by Kyoani and people followed into it. But then as popularity boomed, people realised they can't follow under Haruhism because they do not understand Haruhi or don't like her, this created other -isms. Which I kind of view them as mildly heretic/unorthodox lol, but its fine with me. Mainly the -ism attachment has degraded from its religious meaning to a fan tag. With -isms popping out of every other anime.

Haruhism in the first place to me is a real attempt at creating an almost religious belief in Haruhi.

And you don't check your visitors message? lol

I was asking whether you are going to the Anime Festival Asia.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-21, 05:00   Link #244
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
The Singaporean males I meet are quite split 50/50 at True Haruhists and others, meaning majority are Haruhists who see Haruhi similar to what I do. My brother sees it the same as me, but he doesn't call her Haruhi-sama or pray to her like I do lol

I haven't found a single female who watched Haruhi, all guys, thats because I've been spreading Haruhiism in army until 2 months ago when I'm finally out.

I should really meet some female Haruhists.

In the first place, the True Haruhists I know are all from AS, Haruhi brought me into AS and I had the highest number of posts in this subforum while the show aired and shortly after. These True Haruhists are of course from all over the world. So you can call it worldwide.

In the first place there was only Haruhism, it was created by Kyoani and people followed into it. But then as popularity boomed, people realised they can't follow under Haruhism because they do not understand Haruhi or don't like her, this created other -isms. Which I kind of view them as mildly heretic/unorthodox lol, but its fine with me. Mainly the -ism attachment has degraded from its religious meaning to a fan tag. With -isms popping out of every other anime.

Haruhism in the first place to me is a real attempt at creating an almost religious belief in Haruhi.

And you don't check your visitors message? lol

I was asking whether you are going to the Anime Festival Asia.
Hm. I do call Haruhi "oharuhisama", but that's for fun and sarcasm. You mean there's people who REALLY treat her as God? OH GEASS NO! [Wait are you one of them? Or what is your religion?]

And for the Festival, no, that's because I'll be entertaining cousins from Canada. Sorry there!

(I thought replies to Visitor messages were made on the same place)
Old 2008-11-21, 05:12   Link #245
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Hm. I do call Haruhi "oharuhisama", but that's for fun and sarcasm. You mean there's people who REALLY treat her as God? OH GEASS NO! [Wait are you one of them? Or what is your religion?]

And for the Festival, no, that's because I'll be entertaining cousins from Canada. Sorry there!

(I thought replies to Visitor messages were made on the same place)
Oh yes, behind the fun and sarcasm, there is also partial truth. When you overdo it, you've already incooperated it into your life.

Religion? Reject your religion and replace it with your own! I'm only Buddhist because my parents are, heck I don't even know what Buddhism does. I'm more Haruhist than anything.

Not really praying, not as much as Christians do. But I thank Haruhi-sama in my mind when things go well and 'sorry Haruhi-sama' when things go wrong. I've even got this into the minds of my platoon who never even watch Haruhi.

In order to boost the morale of my platoon, I've been telling them that if shit happens, it means that my Goddess has prepared us something really good later on. She does not make things easy for us, if she's rewarding us, she will only do so so after we clear up the shit. The tougher the shit, the greater the reward we will recieve. This works not like they actually believe in a Goddess, but that its a great positive thinking method that I've adapted for our platoon and keeps us working.

This topic we're having here ties so well with the escapist topic in the general chat subforum. I've said something similar there, if you want to read it.

EDIT: And lol at visitors message, alright then, but the event really shouldn't be missed.

Old 2008-11-21, 06:03   Link #246
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Oh yes, behind the fun and sarcasm, there is also partial truth. When you overdo it, you've already incooperated it into your life.

Religion? Reject your religion and replace it with your own! I'm only Buddhist because my parents are, heck I don't even know what Buddhism does. I'm more Haruhist than anything.

Not really praying, not as much as Christians do. But I thank Haruhi-sama in my mind when things go well and 'sorry Haruhi-sama' when things go wrong. I've even got this into the minds of my platoon who never even watch Haruhi.

In order to boost the morale of my platoon, I've been telling them that if shit happens, it means that my Goddess has prepared us something really good later on. She does not make things easy for us, if she's rewarding us, she will only do so so after we clear up the shit. The tougher the shit, the greater the reward we will recieve. This works not like they actually believe in a Goddess, but that its a great positive thinking method that I've adapted for our platoon and keeps us working.

This topic we're having here ties so well with the escapist topic in the general chat subforum. I've said something similar there, if you want to read it.

EDIT: And lol at visitors message, alright then, but the event really shouldn't be missed.
Oh no... I'm still Christian at the end of the day. That's why I watch CLANNAD After Story, I'm hoping for once that anime can spread proper values. Like the meaning of family, I think.

Oh - so you ARE a Haruhiist after all... I see.
Old 2008-11-21, 06:11   Link #247
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Oh no... I'm still Christian at the end of the day. That's why I watch CLANNAD After Story, I'm hoping for once that anime can spread proper values. Like the meaning of family, I think.

Oh - so you ARE a Haruhiist after all... I see.
I am serious when I call myself an Absolute Haruhist

But I don't impose this on others, I just let it be known. They like it, they accept it, pretty easy.

I just think that Religion is something that creates your way of life, gives you stuff like morals, principles, beliefs so that you can use it as your strength, driving force and such.

Haruhi may not have been a good example at morals, but that's not what I'm worshipping her for. Her energy and drive is the example I follow.

So what if the world is a boring and negative place, reject it and replace it with your own! Your life should be controlled by yourself, if it goes wrong, make it straight again, be positive about it.

Gurren Lagann gives me the similar inspiration. And also Adam's 'I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!', nobody watches Mythbusters here?

Old 2008-11-30, 07:54   Link #248
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
I am serious when I call myself an Absolute Haruhist

But I don't impose this on others, I just let it be known. They like it, they accept it, pretty easy.

I just think that Religion is something that creates your way of life, gives you stuff like morals, principles, beliefs so that you can use it as your strength, driving force and such.

Haruhi may not have been a good example at morals, but that's not what I'm worshipping her for. Her energy and drive is the example I follow.

So what if the world is a boring and negative place, reject it and replace it with your own! Your life should be controlled by yourself, if it goes wrong, make it straight again, be positive about it.

Gurren Lagann gives me the similar inspiration. And also Adam's 'I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!', nobody watches Mythbusters here?

Hmm. Well, I guess Haruhi would be disappointed with you. I think that what Haruhi wants is for people to find their own purpose in life, not letting anyone/anything control their lives. You have a choice, Haruhi wants you to choose to live your life to the fullest. She doesn't really what to be worshipped - she wants you to have fun. Really, at least that's what I feel.
Old 2008-11-30, 08:18   Link #249
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Hmm. Well, I guess Haruhi would be disappointed with you. I think that what Haruhi wants is for people to find their own purpose in life, not letting anyone/anything control their lives. You have a choice, Haruhi wants you to choose to live your life to the fullest. She doesn't really what to be worshipped - she wants you to have fun. Really, at least that's what I feel.
Well, isn't that the same as I've described? At least what you said about finding purpose in life and such.

Like I said, its the energy and drive that I follow, it allows me to do what I want to do and carry on towards my purpose in life with that energy.

Whether she wants to be worshipped or not, its not what we know and whether she can stop us from doing so.

But, Haruhism as a religion, though created by Kyoani in the first place, is already telling us to worship her. And everything in the anime is presented to us in the will of Haruhi-sama.

Old 2008-11-30, 08:21   Link #250
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Well, isn't that the same as I've described? At least what you said about finding purpose in life and such.

Like I said, its the energy and drive that I follow, it allows me to do what I want to do and carry on towards my purpose in life with that energy.

Whether she wants to be worshipped or not, its not what we know and whether she can stop us from doing so.

But, Haruhism as a religion, though created by Kyoani in the first place, is already telling us to worship her. And everything in the anime is presented to us in the will of Haruhi-sama.
Haruhiism is a way to milk fans, not a religion per se. Unless you follow a REALLY fundemental description of religion, as used in my chruch- placing the item as your purpose in life. THAT is not what she wants. SHe wants people to find their real purpose in life, not dreaily pass day after another day without meaning.
Old 2008-11-30, 08:26   Link #251
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well IMO I am a Haruhiist because I believe that there is a need for the world to change, rather than we adapt to the way it is.

Haruhi usually go great lengths to make things go her way, because adapting and living the way as we are is simply boring. The term "life" has become more of a shared sentiment rather than what we want to live as.

Thus the generic term "no-lifers" being used on people who spend their time worshipping 2D girls. But aren't those who use that term on others hypocrites or hypochondriacs themselves, because the existence of choice allows us to live our lives as we wanted to?

Haruhi wanted the freedom to live and believe in whatever way she wants rather than conforming to the societal standards. I believe most of us worship her for that reason, desho ne?
Old 2008-11-30, 08:30   Link #252
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well IMO I am a Haruhiist because I believe that there is a need for the world to change, rather than we adapt to the way it is.

Haruhi usually go great lengths to make things go her way, because adapting and living the way as we are is simply boring. The term "life" has become more of a shared sentiment rather than what we want to live as.

Thus the generic term "no-lifers" being used on people who spend their time worshipping 2D girls. But aren't those who use that term on others hypocrites or hypochondriacs themselves, because the existence of choice allows us to live our lives as we wanted to?

Haruhi wanted the freedom to live and believe in whatever way she wants rather than conforming to the societal standards. I believe most of us worship her for that reason, desho ne?
Well, I agree, other than the fact that I don't worship her, I admire her and love her for who she is. Someone who wants change, and won't wait for others to change the world for her. She will change it herself. We all have that power. People like Al Gore and Obama are like her. We can be like her, like them. We can change this world. All we need is to put in our hearts into this.

Change the world? YES WE CAN!!
Old 2008-11-30, 10:19   Link #253
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Well, I agree, other than the fact that I don't worship her, I admire her and love her for who she is. Someone who wants change, and won't wait for others to change the world for her. She will change it herself. We all have that power. People like Al Gore and Obama are like her. We can be like her, like them. We can change this world. All we need is to put in our hearts into this.

Change the world? YES WE CAN!!
Actually every single thing you've said in this page, I've mentioned it a few times on Animesuki lol

I'm lazy to repeat them, if you're really that interested, just search 'Haruhi life' under my posts and you can read a couple of them.

Just take that Haruhism is this religion of Haruhi whose teachings is for you to go out and create your world the way you want it, change it as you like, do it your way etc.

My old posts about how Haruhism affected my views on life and such, were a thousand plus word essays, so if you do look them up, you'll see that everything you and Saintessheart just added, I've already incoporated into my way of life.

Old 2008-11-30, 10:22   Link #254
Spring_sakura111
Kanashimi o mukou eto~!

I'm bored and stuff. And I tried to do what Haruhi did. I tried to create my own club but I was rejected. I battled many times at school just to get the last seat at the back near the window, just like Haruhi. Maybe I'm missing something....
Oh, right. I don't have a Kyon.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is a great anime. It's realistic and we could easily relate to her.
Old 2008-11-30, 23:41   Link #255
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_sakura111 View Post
I'm bored and stuff. And I tried to do what Haruhi did. I tried to create my own club but I was rejected. I battled many times at school just to get the last seat at the back near the window, just like Haruhi. Maybe I'm missing something....
Oh, right. I don't have a Kyon.
What, really? Unless you're in Japan, these things never happen as clubs in most schools outside Japan are legislated by the school not a student council, and seating arrangements are dictated by the principal, not the teacher (at least in Singapore, some principals do get involved in SEATING arrangements)

Quote:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is a great anime. It's realistic and we could easily relate to her.
Yes, agreed.

Quote:
Just take that Haruhism is this religion of Haruhi whose teachings is for you to go out and create your world the way you want it, change it as you like, do it your way etc.
Hmm...

Quote:
My old posts about how Haruhism affected my views on life and such, were a thousand plus word essays, so if you do look them up, you'll see that everything you and Saintessheart just added, I've already incoporated into my way of life.
If that is such, Haruhiism is therefore not a religion, it is a school of thought like Confucianism is. You really got me shocked for 24 full hours.
Old 2008-12-01, 00:43   Link #256
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I hadn't seen all the novels yet but I do enjoy so far. I only wish that the authr get started on volume ten already, I want to know more about sasaki, the goals of the Anti SOS Brigade, the state of Haruhi/Sasaki "powers" as well as Kyon's real name and if he is the true "God" of Haruhiverse.
Old 2008-12-01, 03:05   Link #257
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
If that is such, Haruhiism is therefore not a religion, it is a school of thought like Confucianism is. You really got me shocked for 24 full hours.
I guess you're pretty new to Haruhi lol

She was called a god by novel readers even before the anime aired and after it aired, the term Haruhism immediately started the first true anime religion where people worshipped her as a god.

Though most people are calling her Goddess, God Empress or something for some internet fun. But some people took it to the streets.

I'm considered pretty mild for the fanatical side of Haruhism.

When it aired and when the hype was still very strong after it aired, there were Haruhism worshippers who believed that they can die and meet Haruhi in another dimension. Of course we don't know if they're its just an extreme example of fun and sarcasm.

Anyway there's this famous article, where people think Haruhism is helping in saving the world lol: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...union_id=10284

Old 2008-12-01, 05:25   Link #258
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
I guess you're pretty new to Haruhi lol

She was called a god by novel readers even before the anime aired and after it aired, the term Haruhism immediately started the first true anime religion where people worshipped her as a god.

Though most people are calling her Goddess, God Empress or something for some internet fun. But some people took it to the streets.

I'm considered pretty mild for the fanatical side of Haruhism.

When it aired and when the hype was still very strong after it aired, there were Haruhism worshippers who believed that they can die and meet Haruhi in another dimension. Of course we don't know if they're its just an extreme example of fun and sarcasm.

Anyway there's this famous article, where people think Haruhism is helping in saving the world lol: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...union_id=10284

What do you mean, 'new'? Of course I know what happened after Kyoani first coined the term. There were missionaries of Haruhiism going about everywhere. From Hokkaido to Okinawa, they were everywhere. They knock on your door and start 'preaching' about their new-found religion. And they looked every bit serious about it. They dress EXACTLY like the SOS Brigade and call themselves the "Salvation Army of Suzumiya Haruhi". Freaky, really, and I think that it's spiraling right out of hand.

Most Catholic churches in Japan outrightly ban Haruhiism and are opposed to any of their members. This goes for the majority of Protestant churches. I know Shimathekat (from a few posts back) and he's from such a church, outright opposed to Haruhiism. Mine believes that Haruhiism isn't even a religion to begin with, therefore there's no need to ban it, like how Confucianism and Christianity co-exist.

My church feels that there's much we can learn from Haruhiism, including fighting for what you believe in and going against the grain. Of course, it also preaches moderation and temperance on this issue. (It helped to keep some members who were about to leave lest the church banned Haruhiism). I think it can be accepted as a school of thought, but a religion? I think that's fanatical, like how Confucianism ended up as Taoism. True Confucius scholars believe that Taoism isn't what Confucius wanted. Similarly, I doubt Haruhi wants a religion of her own, as that would involve far too many rules, legislations, red tape... etc... you get the idea. She's no stuffy nun.

Therefore, I think if Haruhiism = religion to you, you may be far out. Far out of Haruhi's original intent. I believe she wants change. Not to become part of some establishment (or become one herself) but to spread her ideas in a free-flowing manner. If Haruhiism could reach many religions, without becoming one itself, I believe it's the best thing for Haruhiism. Like how Shintoism and Christians in Asia embrace Confucius.
Old 2008-12-01, 18:14   Link #259
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Haruhi is a fictional character created to make money.

...She also mercilessly molests cute, pathetic, weak, equally fictional girls and makes life hell for everyone else fictional around her.

She should not be an object of worship, or of admiration.

People who think either need to re-evaluate their lives, and stop living in fantasy worlds to avoid the pain of living.
Old 2008-12-02, 01:09   Link #260
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

Haruhi is a fictional character created to make money.

...She also mercilessly molests cute, pathetic, weak, equally fictional girls and makes life hell for everyone else fictional around her.

She should not be an object of worship, or of admiration.

People who think either need to re-evaluate their lives, and stop living in fantasy worlds to avoid the pain of living.
Well. Someone finally sees the light. I was trying to get at this (but not this harsh - do you know people commit suicide after hearing these kinds of things?)

My uncle's a pastoral care officer, and he's witnessed these types of things happen when he was working in Tokyo. He had dealt with some Haruhiists who wished for nothing more than to die and appear in another world where Haruhi was really God. I say this is MADNESS!

I say if Haruhi was to exist, she'd be at best, the Confucius of our age. Nothing more, nothing less. Instill much-needed values into our lives, and that's all. Not try to establish a New Age religion.

Haruhiism is a marketing strategy, mein freude. That is all.

Still there is much we can learn from her, including a postivie outlook on life (damn it, most Haruhiists in Japan lack this!) and not waiting for things to happen.
Closed Thread