AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Vampire Knight

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 04:27   Link #301
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
The problem is which vampire legends are they using they seem to be using several different sources and a few original things. You are on the right track with a few of your theories, the headmaster is hiding some information. But i cant say anymore because it will be a spoilers and i dont want to mention any i want people enjoy speculating. But i will say this

Spoiler for For Skyfall/Not really a spoiler but will help add to your speculation.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm, now that bit definitely is interesting. At the very least it supports my theory that there is more to Yuuki.
I may be wrong, but I think Sinestra was trying to point out something about Aido rather than Yuuki...

PS Skyfall, I'm pretty impressed at your ability to pick up clues and estimate likely scenarios. However, there's one rather big clue that will become glaringly obvious in retrospect (although it'll take the story a while to get that far). I wonder if you can spot it in advance, just from seeing ep 1? (Since you seem to enjoy speculating in advance, think of it as a challenge)
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 04:59   Link #302
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
What? You mean you actually believe that Kaname was just randomly saving Yuuki by being in the right spot at the right time 10 years ago? Considering that Kaname is still protective of the girl, I'd say I would be flabbergasted if he does NOT have any past ties with Yuki before that incident. Most random savings has the saviour leaving or even forgetting the incident, and Kaname doesn't look like he's doing either. XD
No lol, but I am wondering how deep or what form their "ties" are. Yuki seems to have forgotten everything in that incident which is highly suspicious, I just wonder if she knew Kaname even before the attack and had her memory altered so that she didn't remember him. Also ties which I will be shocked to hear is if Kaname turns out to be kind of sibling to Yuki, in the literal sense. Half brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
It seems that Kaname may hold some kind of a good intention about human/vampire relation because when he killed that vampire attacking Yuuki he said that vampires like them are a disgrace. Don't know why, but I just have this nagging feeling that Kaname is greatly misunderstood because his character is withheld in such secrecy. Meh, it'll probably explode out that Kaname is the true emo one.

But one thing I consider certain: Kaname can be very cruel if he wants to be.

I actually want Kaname to win in the love war - am I the rare fangirl species here then?
Emo Kaname...that would be a sight, well he does look the part at least

I can see where you feel that he is a misunderstood character, though I just can't help but think that he isn't all right in his own mind. In other words, I want expect to see an evil side of him

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 05:33   Link #303
Vinak
Procrastinator

This is rather frustrating for me. I am afraid to contribute to this thread cause I've read the manga.

I'm just so surprised at how much you guys have speculated from one episode. keep it up, it's very interesting.
Old 2008-04-12, 06:25   Link #304
KrebMarkt
Never do well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I can see where you feel that he is a misunderstood character, though I just can't help but think that he isn't all right in his own mind. In other words, I want expect to see an evil side of him
Expect some Kaname evilness in the upcoming episodes.

Spoiler for Why Kaname is evil:
KrebMarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 07:53   Link #305
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
whatever i read from the manga and watch from the anime
that Kaname-sama sooooooooo handsome that make me screaming all the time
Old 2008-04-12, 08:09   Link #306
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkz
I just wonder if she knew Kaname even before the attack and had her memory altered so that she didn't remember him.
I would bet money that they knew each other before the attack. At that time, Kaname looks to be younger than his present self (when Kaname helps Yuuki up, it's obvious his shoulders are much wider than before). So that rules out that he was a bodyguard for hire, and him taking her to Cross means that he cared enough for her to find a home for her.

Which now begs the question, why the heck is a vampire being so nice to a human? Either Yuuki is not really a human like what Skyfall says, and/or Yuuki already has ties with Kaname before the attack.

Now rewatching the episode, I do find it quite odd that they put emphasis on her not remembering things before she was 5. At first I thought nothing of it, since who remembers events before they were five? But them actually pointing that out... it's like they're saying something did happen to Yuuki's memories. Maybe she forgot her memories from a shocking incident, maybe perhaps her parent's death? Wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened, and considering her parents are nowhere to be seen....

So what I theorize is that Yuuki's parents are actually vampire hunters, and her parents died due to a vampire attack. Maybe Yuuki saved Kaname from her parents before by hiding him or whatever, with all the time after, they're still meeting each other and deepening their friendship. Now that the vampire attack killed her parents (from where she lost her memories), Kaname pays back the favour by saving her, and giving her to Cross.

Which in turn begs the question, how the heck does Kaname know Cross, who is presumably human? Why is Cross so nice to vampires? AAARRRRGGHHHH, too much questions, not enoguh answers...

Quote:
Also ties which I will be shocked to hear is if Kaname turns out to be kind of sibling to Yuki, in the literal sense. Half brother?
Incest is wincest! Oops, wrong show, wrong sub team.

Now wouldn't that be soap opera-ish? Yuuki and Kaname has been in love with each all this time, only to 'find out' they're siblings. I highly doubt they're gonna put such a cliched twist, but hey, anything can happen in shoujo. And if the off chance that they're siblings, I hope the mangaka/director of the anime don't back out and say they weren't related by blood after all, like so many anime/manga stories I've seen.

After all, isn't love suppose to transcend everything, including blood? (pardon the pun ) But really, I'm just hoping for greater drama in the case they pull such a cliched twist.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:02   Link #307
Westlo
Lets be reality

I kinda wish I didn't read the first twenty chapters of the manga (as well as knowing what happens in the mid-late thirties) so I could join in this fun discussion

Quote:
Judging from the polls, it seems the fangirls wants Zero to win the triangle in order so that they can have sexy Kaname all for themselves.
At first I was rather impressed they were able to separate their fav character from the pairing they think should happen but on second thought what you said is more than likely the case
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:05   Link #308
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

Interesting. I think this ep had a few flaws, but there a few interesting things about it. The comedy was a big problem. I don't mind comic relief to break up the heavy mood, but it does need to actually be funny, which this lacked. The soundtrack was good, but I thought they laid the tunes on a bit thick and the music became a bit overbearing at times (minor criticism, but, like most things, music works best when it's subtle).

The most interesting thing about this for me is the whole segregation thing, and the way they've set up Yuuki and Zero to be walking embodiments for the arguments both for and against disbanding the segregation between humans and vampires. There's this irony in that the events of this episode that Yuuki being almost attacked by the two vampires the minute her blood caused their animal instincts to take over pretty much takes away all the weight to her argument, and an even bigger irony that Zero himself is a vampire living as/with humans despite what he thinks of them. It's an interesting set up, and I almost hope that the segregation issue sits at the middle of the this entire series... or, at the very least, gets a good deal of attention.

I like the female lead. Yuuki is both idealistic and strong. She might be a tad naive, but she has her philosophies and is willing to defend them. I really like Horie Yui's portrayal of her. I've been watching anime for almost six years now, and if there's one thing that hasn't changed in that time, it's my admiration of Horie Yui.

I'm not going to say that I'm enthusiastic about this anime, since the first episode didn't really grab me as it evidently has a number of people around here. I saw both good and bad things about this ep, but there's a good amount of stuff that they can make of the set up, and the premise has a fair amount of uniqueness for something that's in the vampire genre (vampire anime have this incredible knack of not achieving their full potential). This is a "could be good, but we'll see" anime for me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, one of the other minor criticisms I have is that they were too quick to reveal that Zero was a vampire. I think they needed to build that up over a couple more episodes if they wanted to play it as a big impact plot twist. As it stands, my reaction to it was "hmmm... didn't see that coming" as opposed to jaw-on-the-ground ZOMG SHOCK as I suspect they were aiming for.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:46   Link #309
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I kinda wish I didn't read the first twenty chapters of the manga (as well as knowing what happens in the mid-late thirties) so I could join in this fun discussion
I hear ya on that one. But its still fun to watch the anime ppl speculating.

Just a quick reminder (though the manga readers have been really good so far ~bows~) do not post any manga related spoilers in this thread to neither confirm nor deny of of the speculation going on. Let's not ruin it for them.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:09   Link #310
Vinak
Procrastinator

I'm curious about Yuuki's staff. I am guessing its supposed to be an anti vampire weapon but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:44   Link #311
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
I'm curious about Yuuki's staff. I am guessing its supposed to be an anti vampire weapon but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Did you forget that the staff sparked when it hit the vamp's hand? A hard blow from the staff in the right body area would have possibly stunned him. Plus it's likely made of a material that vampires with their superior strength would find hard to break. Don't underestimate the power a fighter skilled in fighting with a quarterstaff. They can be very dangerous even without this staff's shock power. (Little John of Robin Hood lore was feared because of his quarterstaff skills not his archery skills.) Whether Yuki is a skilled quarterstaff fighter remains to be seen.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 12:16   Link #312
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
As already mentioned, it did spark with electricity at one point. I would assume it is fully capable of harming vampires, else there would be little point carrying it around. I would assume Yuuki dimply didn't want to cause any real damage, just flash a warning signal. She didn't seem to be that serious even when Aido was crawling up her neck, so i would attribute apparent lack of effect to her unwillingness to cause harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
PS Skyfall, I'm pretty impressed at your ability to pick up clues and estimate likely scenarios. However, there's one rather big clue that will become glaringly obvious in retrospect (although it'll take the story a while to get that far). I wonder if you can spot it in advance, just from seeing ep 1? (Since you seem to enjoy speculating in advance, think of it as a challenge)
Hm, thats an interesting question ... actually there was one thing that bugged me a bit since the very first minute of the show, but i just let it slide because i thought it might have been played for dramatic value / to up the "cool" effect - namely Kaname licking his bloodstained hand after puncturing that random vampire with it. (Same at the very end, when he licked his finger with some of Aido's blood on it). Now, my vampire lore might be a bit rusty as i haven't had the need to exercise it in a long time, but if i recall vampires drink human blood because it contains elements their vampiric bodies can't produce, thus its essential for them to do so.

What i am getting at is - there should be no reason for a vampire like Kaname to be attracted to the blood of another vampire. What would this mean and how it would be relevant i can't imagine though. And as i said - my vampire lore is somewhat rusty, and there is a high chance it was done just to earn style points, so chances are i just said some nonsense Other than this can't really think of anything.

Quote:
So what I theorize is that Yuuki's parents are actually vampire hunters, and her parents died due to a vampire attack. Maybe Yuuki saved Kaname from her parents before by hiding him or whatever, with all the time after, they're still meeting each other and deepening their friendship. Now that the vampire attack killed her parents (from where she lost her memories), Kaname pays back the favour by saving her, and giving her to Cross.

Which in turn begs the question, how the heck does Kaname know Cross, who is presumably human? Why is Cross so nice to vampires? AAARRRRGGHHHH, too much questions, not enoguh answers...
I don't think that very likely, because it would make her situation just a copy of Zero's with added amnesia for some reason. I expect something more extravagant for Yuuki

As for how Kaname knows Cross ... we know that Kaname is a pure blooded vampire, and the pills they seem to be taking in the school instead of blood is something "enforced" by pure bloods so they wouldn't need to hunt on humans.

Seeing that Cross is aiming for peaceful coexistion between Humans and Vampires and the "experiment" inspired by pure blood vampires takes place in his school, i wouldn't be surprised if he knows Kaname, seeing the later is a pure blood. The setup was probably planned a good time in advance, so chances are the two knew each other ever since the project started (who knows when that was), quite possibly even a good while before that.

[crackshot theory]
Now what would be the motivation of Cross i don't know ... seeing the "anti-vampire" weaponry Yuuki and Zero has been provided with, i assume he has some ties with some agency specializing in dealing with Vampires, (to put it bluntly - vampire hunters), or might have been one himself (His "serious" look he lets slip once in a while looks pretty sharp, opposite to his usual silly behavior). Not necessarily a "hunter" himself, just affiliated with such organization. (All this provided them having such weapons actually is something significant. If its not, might as well throw this in to the bin)

We can probably picture a number of cases and/or life-changing experiences that would make him opt for peace between humans and vampires. Might have as well been a cliche one like falling in love with vampire and it obviously not working out. (More or less similar to Yuuki's situation now ?... which might as well be his motivation if he truly cares for Yuuki - to have her find happiness where he failed). [/crackshot]
Old 2008-04-12, 12:25   Link #313
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

just watched episode 1 and i must say that im impressed.

and the OP's quite catchy, in fact i listened it for about 15 consecutive times while browsing the manga.

it look very promising, im sure to follow this one till the end.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:10   Link #314
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Speaking of which, when are the OP and ED singles due to be released? I've got nothing in my usual sources...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:36   Link #315
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira-sama View Post
whatever i read from the manga and watch from the anime
that Kaname-sama sooooooooo handsome that make me screaming all the time
LOL that's not being faithful to Kira

I'm glad I didn't read the manga because I seriously am enjoying the pace of this anime. I think someone even mentioned here about Yuuki being a doll or a replacement for someone. Too lazy to quote. Judging from the prologue, I don't think it's so farfetched considering we were only given the first episode.

Spoiler:

If you ask me, the one who wins the love war is always the more emo person. So I don't think this is a battle of who's the better man, it comes down to who's the more emo lol I don't really care who I want Yuuki to end up with since I can't decide which guy is my fave. All I know is that I love Zero's VA.

I can't wait for episode 2 already. I'll have more to speculate once I see more.
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:31   Link #316
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
If you ask me, the one who wins the love war is always the more emo person. So I don't think this is a battle of who's the better man, it comes down to who's the more emo lol I don't really care who I want Yuuki to end up with since I can't decide which guy is my fave. All I know is that I love Zero's VA.
No, it comes down to whom Yuuki feels attracted to. And in this case, i don't think there are any doubts on that one I am not really expecting a love triangle here, rather issues of other nature.

And i would disagree with the above comment of Kaname using her as any sort of a "tool". It isn't completely out of the question, but i do find it unlikely. At least i find it hard to imagine any motives for the moment (that might be prone to change) . He is a pure blood vampire, ruling out any "searching for power" or anything to that extent. He only seems to be there as part of the blood replacement pill "project". And its not like they even see each other on daily basis it seems, besides passing at the gates in mornings.

Kaname's comment to his friend (Ichijo ) after running in to Yuuki at night when the later commented there aren't any girls like her in Night Class? "In these eyes that have become accustomed to darkness ... its really bright".
His "Yuuki..." when he watched her leave at the end of ep, which sounded full of longing to me?

No, for the moment i don't think he has any ulterior motives regarding her (even though he might know about her missing past). I think people might think there is something going on because of his vampire demeanor, but that is not exactly something he can help with, nor a reason to hold him suspicious. Thats not to say he is free of suspicion, just that thus far i see no reason to suspect him of anything "bad".
Old 2008-04-12, 15:31   Link #317
ani_d

Quote:
No, for the moment i don't think he has any ulterior motives regarding her (even though he might know about her missing past). I think people might think there is something going on because of his vampire demeanor, but that is not exactly something he can help with, nor a reason to hold him suspicious. Thats not to say he is free of suspicion, just that thus far i see no reason to suspect him of anything "bad".
We're only basing these speculations on the first episode (which is just the tip of the iceberg) and personal impressions. With lack of sufficient hints from the story, we're basically just thinking in and out of the box here. My take on Kaname is just he's too good to be true. What exactly did Yuuki do to make him so drawn to her--aside from the fact that she's the main character? Her cheerful attitude maybe? I want to think it's something more than that. Like you said, they never really had that much interaction and Yuuki puts him on an altar because he saved her. What's in it for Kaname is what I'm trying to say. I'm sure they'll reveal more later on, but that's already one reason why Kaname would be suspected of something 'bad'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Kaname's comment to his friend (Ichijo ) after running in to Yuuki at night when the later commented there aren't any girls like her in Night Class? "In these eyes that have become accustomed to darkness ... its really bright".
His "Yuuki..." when he watched her leave at the end of ep, which sounded full of longing to me?
I almost forgot this part. I admit this shows like he's so into her. No matter what that attraction is, his genuine affection is still questionable. I can see Kaname saying those and seeing Yuuki as the answer to his dreams/ambitions if there's any. The "important tool." LOL I like Kaname's mysteriousness, btw.
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:28   Link #318
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
No, it comes down to whom Yuuki feels attracted to. And in this case, i don't think there are any doubts on that one I am not really expecting a love triangle here, rather issues of other nature.
You gotta admit though that a lot of romance shows start off with two main characters who think of each like Yuuki and Zero do just based on episode 1.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:40   Link #319
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
What's in it for Kaname is what I'm trying to say. I'm sure they'll reveal more later on, but that's already one reason why Kaname would be suspected of something 'bad'.
Ah, but you are looking at him from "negative" standpoint to start with Whats in it for him ? I don't know ...but does there really has to be anything specific ? A vampire he might be, but that doesn't mean he can't have genuine interest in Yuuki. He isn't denying it himself either. That would be now ... as for why would he save her earlier ? Remember - he is from the pure blood vampires that are trying to come to terms with humans. Thats why they have those tablets in the school - the pure blood vampires (whom we can safely assume to be the most powerful ones) are "enforcing" this. Being one of them Kaname doesn't really need to have some scheming motivation to shred apart some vampire thats about to leech on a little girl with his "you are disgrace to vampires" comment.

I am going with "innocent until proven guilty" here. He may well be up to something, but he doesn't need to be. First ep didn't give us any hints he might be up to something "bad" as far as Yuuki is concerned, and i can't really picture what he could gain from her. It is possible, but it doesn't have to be.

Though i suppose more light on the matter will be shed when we learn about Yuuki's lost memory and about what she really might be ... and i still stand by the point she is not a normal human, but either an artificial one or a vampire (sealed) herself.

Quote:
I almost forgot this part. I admit this shows like he's so into her. No matter what that attraction is, his genuine affection is still questionable. I can see Kaname saying those and seeing Yuuki as the answer to his dreams/ambitions if there's any. The "important tool." LOL I like Kaname's mysteriousness, btw.
Oh, i like his mysterious character indeed ... though given how vampires are portrayed in this show generally (mysteriously alluring yet calm and dangerous) , i wouldn't assign ulterior motives to him just like that It is possible he may have some, but at least the first episode didn't give me any hints (that i would take notice of anyway, i might have missed something) to question his affection towards Yuuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You gotta admit though that a lot of romance shows start off with two main characters who think of each like Yuuki and Zero do just based on episode 1.
Oh, i am not denying that. Its just that the premise already has established Yuuki having feelings for Kaname, and i would argue they are more than a simple crush. Even Zero mentioned her love from him early in the episode, and she didn't go all fidgety and/or in denial like we are used to seeing, so i think she is willing to admit as much herself as well.

I do think Zero might have some feelings for her, but i doubt he has much chance of getting those returned. He and Yuuki are on opposite ends of spectrum here as well - Zero hates vampires inside out, while Yuuki fully believes humans can live together with them. (Speaking of which, i just had a thought - if my speculation about her possibly being a sealed vampire is true, i smell a lot of drama and emo from Zero's end )

I can always be wrong though, but for the moment (which, admittedly, is not much to go by) thats how i see the romance situation.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:08   Link #320
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Spoiler for heavy manga spoilers, beware:
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote