AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-13, 03:44   Link #21
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric
Alright. I've seen the anime and really liked it. I want to get the manga some day, but since I don't have access to Japanese manga, I'll just wait until a potential second release by TP with (hopefully) fixed dialogue.
I seriously think Tokyopop must not care enough, and hence wouldn't re-release a new one. I mean, then they're admitting they did wrong, whereas now, the people who don't know about this won't notice.
Old 2003-12-13, 07:04   Link #22
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I seriously think Tokyopop must not care enough, and hence wouldn't re-release a new one. I mean, then they're admitting they did wrong, whereas now, the people who don't know about this won't notice.
Why not? Viz has been re-releasing Ranma, and the text on the copywrite page reads "New and adapted artwork and text (c)2003" meaning that they took out another copywrite on the material. I'll bet that there are less editing mistakes in this issue of the manga than there were in the first edition printed in 1993.
Old 2003-12-13, 11:20   Link #23
Muraki
Dreamer

Viz is probably only re-releasing Ranma b/c its so popular among American readers, they might hope to make a profit or something like that whereas Kare Kano isn't that well known so Tokyopop might consider re-relaeasing it unprofitable...
Old 2003-12-13, 13:24   Link #24
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

I've been following the releases of KareKano by TokyoPop and I really like it. As long as I understand what's going on that's fine w/ me. Plus, I saw the anime and watched it in dub by the way so I could read the freakin' texts on the screen. The dub wasn't bad...you'll get use to it.^_^
Old 2003-12-15, 15:24   Link #25
kannakills

So does anyone have any concrete examples? I've never looked at the Kare Kano version by TP myself. Did they change the storyline or left out essential details?
Old 2003-12-16, 15:41   Link #26
kannakills

Um, nevermind. I understand now. I walked into Barnes and Nobles, and they just put up another bookshelf full of manga (salivates). I picked up kare Kano to read- and now I see how they butchered it :*( And the "voices" of the characters don't seem to fit at all.
Old 2003-12-16, 17:17   Link #27
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

See? It's not easily put into specifics, 'cause it'd just get too long. Saying they molested it is simply easier and still gets the point across.
Old 2003-12-20, 15:27   Link #28
Yuuko_Hajiwara
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to Yuuko_Hajiwara
So I don't understand, how did TP make it so bad in the translation? What did they do? I've never read a copy of the TP Kare Kano, but I own a copy of the japanese, which thoug it's sometimes hard to translate, is really cute, and as far as I can tell *pretty* close to the anime. I thought the anime was really good too. The only part I didn't like, as someone mentioned before, was the way they constantly had to recap everything that ever happened before.... I think they spent a whole episode recapping everything that had happened since the beginning... it's a shame that the anime had to end that way, I would have loved to see more.
Old 2003-12-20, 15:54   Link #29
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

The only real difficulty in translating KareKano is getting the subtly of the original in the english version. Everything else is pretty much common sense and shouldn't take a rocket scientist to get it right. But TP screwed up even the most basic of expressions, changed the character's personalities. To put it simply, they messed with everything that made KareKano good. Please just take my word for it, 'cause if you buy the english version to see for yourself, it'll simply increase their sales and make them think it's all right to screw with things.
Old 2003-12-20, 16:35   Link #30
Yuuko_Hajiwara
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to Yuuko_Hajiwara
Oh I don't plan on buying it, if anything I'll buy more of the original japanese series, but I was just curious as to how they'd changed it... sounds pretty bad... Usually though I thought most TP translations were pretty good. I don't have much to compare to, but I've read Marmalade Boy and Mars, as well as Kodocha. I've seen some of Kodocha but I liked the manga much better because it moved a lot faster and was a bit more serious, though it still has the adorable, characteristically Sana funny bits as well.
Old 2003-12-20, 18:35   Link #31
Musashi_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
The only real difficulty in translating KareKano is getting the subtly of the original in the english version. Everything else is pretty much common sense and shouldn't take a rocket scientist to get it right. But TP screwed up even the most basic of expressions, changed the character's personalities. To put it simply, they messed with everything that made KareKano good. Please just take my word for it, 'cause if you buy the english version to see for yourself, it'll simply increase their sales and make them think it's all right to screw with things.

Snoopycool! Hey this guy is a celebrity. It was his website where I read my first online manga. Flame of Recca when it wasn't available for download I think it was. 1000 pop-ups for a mexican business would pop up every page you turned! That snoopy!!! And then it was removed before I was finished reading it all. That snoopy!!!! Now my favorate manga besides HunterXHunter is Hajime no Ippo and I would love to complain about him being slow with putting up new chapters, but I won't because translating Japanese is a bitch!(at least for me) and people have lives I am scared to ask snoopy for a website or something where I could buy the back volumes of HNI in japanese, [hnt,hnt] because I have noticed in his updates he frequently goes ballistic on the smallest things. Ha!. It's actually hilarious. I can only find the damn Chinese language manga of HNI and I can only read Japanese!. I am not sure what the hell this post is about...hmm. His website is good check it out snoopycool.com. Has anyone seen the Ninja Scroll H.S series? I only saw a few episodes while I lived in the USA on DVD and it was cancelled(I think). I remember Musashi was in it, and Jubei. They were at a grave and it was a really cool shot. If a person knows of a place to Bittorrent that, please email me. miyamoto_musashi_x@yahoo.com Bye '*.*'
Old 2003-12-20, 20:05   Link #32
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

... freaky. Anyway, sorry for dropping off topic, mods, but I'll just go ahead and point musashi to http://www.aclimatesolution.com for good prices on used volumes of Ippo.
Old 2003-12-30, 03:51   Link #33
htpcfan
L1: Lazy Puppy

how many manga eps of Kare Kano are there?

I can't seem to find any info about it on line either in English or Chinese, and my Japanese is too poor to competently read through all the fan posts.

I'm up to the manga 16 release in Chinese, and I was just curious to see how many more comics are there in Japanese. If you can gimme some spoiler summaries that'll be much appreciated too~ sniff~

In case the manga numbers don't correlate directly, here's what happened in Chinese manga 16:
Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-30, 13:32   Link #34
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
I can't seem to find any info about it on line either in English or Chinese, and my Japanese is too poor to competently read through all the fan posts.

I'm up to the manga 16 release in Chinese, and I was just curious to see how many more comics are there in Japanese. If you can gimme some spoiler summaries that'll be much appreciated too~ sniff~
According to amazon, vol 17 is out in Japan (crap, need to get that >_<;. And it's probably still running in LaLa. And I know the Chinese volumes should correspond to the Japanese volumes, (at least the Taiwan version does, haven't really seen any manga in which Japanese and Chinese volumes don't coincide)
Old 2003-12-30, 18:15   Link #35
LynnieS

Yes, #17 is now out and should also be available from a Japanese bookstore that receives stuff via airmail. Regular ship freight books should be out in a few weeks, I think.
Old 2003-12-31, 02:28   Link #36
htpcfan
L1: Lazy Puppy

Arigato~ I'm going to visit my local import bookstore and pick it up then! :-D
Old 2004-02-04, 19:16   Link #37
PartyOverHere
Time To Party

licensed manga question

Hi, just a quick question about licensed manga from tokyopop. I want to buy Kare kano, the manga, because I just finished watching kare kano the anime and the ending was pretty abrupt. Well my question is how accurate are the translations from tokyopop? I've never actually bought manga thats been lisenced in the US because all my manga books are from korea. They only cost like 2-3 bucks cause it's made out of cheaper paper. I'm asking because I don't like to read manga or watch anime that been changed by the people who licensed them.

oh also, doesn't anyone know if the manga is still going on in Japan?

Thanks
Old 2004-02-04, 19:27   Link #38
TronDD
Team the box!

I have read on this board that they horribly messed with KareKano. If you search for it, you'll see it mentioned in a few threads.

Some people also say they didn't notice any problems. I guess if you can read the Japanene version and the English, you'd be able to tell for sure.
Old 2004-02-04, 19:27   Link #39
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Can't answer for the Tokyopop translations, haven't seen them. I am pretty sure the manga is still running. I wanted to mention that as far as the end of the anime, vol. 9 is the one that covers the festival (the play is in there), there is more on Sakura and Takefumi and so on.

edit: name of thread should be "Kare Kano question." Asking about licensed manga is fine as long as the question is not "where can I download scans."

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-04 at 20:22.
Old 2004-02-04, 19:28   Link #40
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

To the best of my knowledge, yes, the manga is still being released in Japan.

As for the quality of TokyoPop's translations, I've yet to find anything that bad with them. Though, someone whom can actually compare TP's translation with the actual Japanese volumes would most likely be able to provide better information on this.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance, shojo