AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-10, 06:00   Link #201
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
wonder what to think of this wasnt impressed at all, seemed boring and totally demagologic.
might check a random episode in a few weeks to see if there is something thrilling about it.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 06:11   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, the ADTRW seems to have a better quality video... but I'm leaning towards the BSS sub-translation. More stewing required, will probably download both for a few episodes.

@Damien: well... its a feudal setting about a merchant who meets a pagan diety on his travels. Its going to be a leisurely tale (at least at first), somewhat personality and relationship-driven. So it may not be to some tastes.
However, "demagologic" isn't a word in any dictionary, wiki, or google - so maybe you want to give that another shot?
Old 2008-01-10, 06:14   Link #203
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Aye, you make a good point. Historically, 15-year-old females were considered adults during the Middle Ages. That was the reality. Although, I should point out that the world of Spice and Wolf may not necessarily reflect Middle Ages Europe. From what little I see so far, Chloe is considered young by her fellow villagers, even though she may actually be "older" than Horo in relative physical age. Young enough for Lawrence to feel uncomfortable with her advances. Relatively speaking, that means Horo is "young", by the standards of her world.

But, I shan't quibble. I'm arguing over a purely academic point anyway, and besides I do actually enjoy Horo as she is at the moment. I only feel that it's a pity that she isn't a bit more "mature", but since you assure me of her potential depth, I'll look forward to the future episodes.
I don't think it was age he was uncomfortable with, I think it was his relationship going beyond master/apprentice. Like others have said, the conversation held a dual meaning, one that he obviously pretended to be ignorant of the subtext.

My guess is that he's like a lot of merchants at the time, where it wasn't the profit but also the solitary lifestyle that is appealing. To get out and see the world, as it were. He doesn't seem like the type to settle down just yet, which is why I think Horo chose him for her journey (her claims of him rescuing her are meant to flatter him so he'll agree to it).
Old 2008-01-10, 06:29   Link #204
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

The first episode was good enough to make me interested, so I will keep watching his show.

I like the low-fantasy setting and the more realistic design of the soldiers (No bulky armors and such).

Koro is a quit interessting character and I'm curious to learn more about her.
I liked Ami Koshimizu portraing her too.
Old 2008-01-10, 06:49   Link #205
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

That was interesting. The thing that intrigues me the most about this is that there's about a million directions they can take this show, and none of them is any more obvious than any of the others. So there's a real freedom with what they can make of this. I have a feeling this show would work rather well if it were an amalgam of a lot of different things: slice-of-life, odd-couple romance, episodic journey, adventure, etc, etc.

Not much else to comment on. The episode didn't really do much more than introduce the characters and premise, but that's probably all a decent first ep needs to do. As far as the "fanservice" is concerned (in quotation marks), my opinion is that if they're going to show Horo naked, they may as well draw in the nipples. Not because I'm aroused by any of that in any way. That's hardly the case, particularly given that the scene was anything but sexual in nature. My gripe with nipple-less boobs (and this goes for all cases of it in anime) is that that type of censorship is patronizing, IMO. It's like they're saying "you can't handle nipples, but since we can't get away with not showing boobs, we'll just pretend they don't exist, so you have to play along as well". If the timeslot they're on is a problem, they should just use well chosen camera angles to hide the offending anatomy. Otherwise, draw in the goddamn nipples. Let's be realistic and grown up about this, FFS.

Minor gripe ultimately. Otherwise, I'm rather interested in seeing where this is going.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 07:03   Link #206
masama
use the fōrks ~

Apparently wolfs have no nipples. To be honest I'd rather see some well placed objects to cover up those.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 07:08   Link #207
herbert

How about the face in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? That made a good censorship.
Old 2008-01-10, 07:14   Link #208
masama
use the fōrks ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
How about the face in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? That made a good censorship.
I always thought they were intended as comedy value rather than censorships.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 07:48   Link #209
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmmm, the ADTRW seems to have a better quality video... but I'm leaning towards the BSS sub-translation. More stewing required, will probably download both for a few episodes.
Yeah felt the same way after downloaded both versions. Certainly a better video for one, but just liked the translation a bit more for the other. Though I'm hardly an expert and was just going on feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I don't think it was age he was uncomfortable with, I think it was his relationship going beyond master/apprentice. Like others have said, the conversation held a dual meaning, one that he obviously pretended to be ignorant of the subtext.

My guess is that he's like a lot of merchants at the time, where it wasn't the profit but also the solitary lifestyle that is appealing. To get out and see the world, as it were. He doesn't seem like the type to settle down just yet, which is why I think Horo chose him for her journey (her claims of him rescuing her are meant to flatter him so he'll agree to it).
Can understand Lawrence being uncomfortable with things moving from that previous relationship into something quite different. May be possible that he just didn't want to lose the lifestyle he was comfortable with either. Just moving along and doing work along the way isn't such a bad life.

On the much debated wolf-nipple dispute. They did seem to try and use hair to give slight coverage to that area at times. Though they didn't pull that off every time we got a look at Horo.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:15   Link #210
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Holy Zero-voice, Batman!

I don't know what to say about the show other than it could be interesting, it may not. That was a set-up episode plain and simple.

Great OP, HORRENDOUS ED (possibly worst one in the last 5 years at least, out of the 100+ anime series I've seen since).
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 08:17   Link #211
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@Damien: well... its a feudal setting about a merchant who meets a pagan diety on his travels. Its going to be a leisurely tale (at least at first), somewhat personality and relationship-driven. So it may not be to some tastes.
However, "demagologic" isn't a word in any dictionary, wiki, or google - so maybe you want to give that another shot?
english isnt my first language so pardon my french .
i dont know the translation of "démagologique" in english.
i dont really know how to explain it, the show gave me the impression it was trying to attract as many people as possible picking in as many genre as possible in order to attempt to please the most but without dedicating to something particularly.
something seemed off for me in that first episode, that s why i said i ll give this show a new chance in a few weeks to see if the direction they picked suit me, cause so far it s not "precise" enought
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 08:18   Link #212
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Why? Is she not supposed to? I quite like her myself...
Yes, she's not supposed to. Chloe's an anime-only character. She doesn't really exist in the novels or manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Just downloaded it to compare. They used a MUCH better source. I wouldn't exactly say it's HD but the resolution and quality is far better.
I thinkk ADTRW's sub is an upscale, because I can't find the raw they used for the life of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Great OP, HORRENDOUS ED (possibly worst one in the last 5 years at least, out of the 100+ anime series I've seen since).
God damn, a lot of people are hating on such a cute, fun little ED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
wonder what to think of this wasnt impressed at all, seemed boring and totally demagologic.
might check a random episode in a few weeks to see if there is something thrilling about it.
SaW is not a thriller. It is not action. Don't expect to be amazed.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:22   Link #213
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The ED, I admit, was animated (or still-framed) very nicely.

But the song, wow....
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 08:29   Link #214
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1

That was interesting. The thing that intrigues me the most about this is that there's about a million directions they can take this show, and none of them is any more obvious than any of the others. So there's a real freedom with what they can make of this. I have a feeling this show would work rather well if it were an amalgam of a lot of different things: slice-of-life, odd-couple romance, episodic journey, adventure, etc, etc.

Same here Sorrow-K that is what has perked my interest thus far as well. The ability to leave room for freedom in the story works out to a great advantage as viewers will be more inclined to discuss theories therefore attracting more fans. Not to mention the surprise element i expect quite a few since the paring of these are quite unusual imo. Their personalites are complete opposites which will also leave room for weird misunderstadings and confrontations with random people on their journey. For example, Horo had no problem being naked (except for being cold) why would she think anything different shes a wolf. But Lawrence was uncomfortable all he saw was a nude attractive girl (who happen to have a tail and pointy ears) I am expecting a whole lot of slice of life with a mix of some drama and maybe romance but i dont think romance will taking the forefront i believe their overall jounrey and what they have learned spending time together will be a main focus
Old 2008-01-10, 08:34   Link #215
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
The ED, I admit, was animated (or still-framed) very nicely.

But the song, wow....
It starts off about how much Horo loves apples, then moves on to her wish to travel around the world with Lawrence. It's cute. It's Engrish to the extreme, yeah, but it sounds right anyhow. The vocals match the piano.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:41   Link #216
Westlo
Lets be reality

I thought the ED started off very awkward but it got better as it went along, doubt I'll watch it again anyway but I skip 80% of Op/Eds anyway.... nice pictures from the original artist in a slightly SD style though.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 08:41   Link #217
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Yes, she's not supposed to. Chloe's an anime-only character. She doesn't really exist in the novels or manga.
Ah, so she's that mysterious anime-only character I've been reading about here. Seems to fit right into the anime for me, though...but that other person's right that she might end up being wasted if they can't find a way to fit her into the story more consistently.

Quote:
But the song, wow....
That sounds more to me like you're amazed. *lol* Strange that you don't like it to that degree while some of us actually like it a lot. Maybe it's the the way she sings those words? I'll admit that does take some getting used to for some. The song overall, though, is very melodious and quirky and it's quite difficult for me not to like, which is a little odd and saying a lot, considering my track record--I don't like the Code Geass OPs and EDs, especially the very first ED. And I don't like all those songs sung by YUKI so Honey And Clover OPs are stuff I'd skip so fast, it's like the whole anime is without any at all. I suppose it's to each his (or her) own.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 09:13   Link #218
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Also think its pretty interesting where the story can end up going. Aside from Horo wanting to go back to the North plenty of flexibility in what happens as they go along. Should be fun to watch the personalities of Lawrence and Horo interact. At least should be some interesting drama along the way.

Curious what kinds of difficulties will arise. Have to think that if Lawrence was concerned about Horo being a demon or possessed when he first saw her there could be some similar situations that come up along the way even if they try to hide her identity. Plus you can't imagine Horo would enjoy having people terrified of her so will keep an eye out for that.

At first the ED left me a bit...well it seemed a bit weird. But got a bit more used to it after listening a few times.
Old 2008-01-10, 09:36   Link #219
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I actually like both the OP and ED songs. I find the OP seemingly positive despite those sad lyrics. The ED is definitely quirky. But Clannad has "Dango Daikazoku" which is quirky and catchy also.

OP animation was awesome. The ED animation was funny and was matching the lyrics.
Old 2008-01-10, 10:16   Link #220
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks for clearing that up, Damien.... it looked like it *ought* to be a word but latin-parsing it gave me possible meanings that made no sense.

On the ED, frankly I'd watch a LOT less anime if the OP/ED were important to me... fortunately, the OP sets the tone. The ED is just quirky to go with the humorous stills (which may seem ill-placed if the series goes seriously tragic).

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen