AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-29, 09:27   Link #21
Tabasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingstone View Post
In all honesty... didn't enjoy her much either.

She's very very meek.

But I do believe they made her that way for a reason - she's Kaname's foil basically, and they purposely made the two polar opposites.

While facepalmage occured for me when she was out and about being "normal" and ditzy, one thing I do appreciate about her is her hidden intelligence and how well she steps into her authority figure. When she's serious, and knows what she's doing, is when she's at her best, and that's when I can appreciate her.

Otherwise... she bored me. She's not a bad character but IMO she's not an especially interesting one either.
I could see where you might think that.

She really is just a joke in the fumoffu style segments. Speaking as an unabashed fan I'd say that's part of her charm, but that's an opinion. And you're right it probably is a deliberate contrast to Kaname's physical prowess.

Sure, Tessa's intelligence and engineering skills are impressive, but there are plenty of smart engineers out there. What impressed me was that in addition to that, and in spite of her rampant and obvious physical deficiencies, she's managed to win the respect of veterans twice or more her age.

-That- is something special.

Last edited by Tabasco; 2009-04-29 at 09:29. Reason: Clarity
Old 2009-04-29, 20:27   Link #22
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Tessa might be weak compared to Kaname both physically and emotionally in the anime series but you guys should check out the novels which is a completely different story.

in the novels after where TSR finishes both Kaname and Tessa do a complete 180 and you really start to gain respect for Tessa and loose respect for Kaname (ive always thought Tessa was a waste of space in the FMP universe but the novels after TSR really opened my eyes to how strong and determined she really is)
Old 2009-05-02, 19:20   Link #23
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
Tessa might be weak compared to Kaname both physically and emotionally in the anime series but you guys should check out the novels which is a completely different story.

in the novels after where TSR finishes both Kaname and Tessa do a complete 180 and you really start to gain respect for Tessa and loose respect for Kaname (ive always thought Tessa was a waste of space in the FMP universe but the novels after TSR really opened my eyes to how strong and determined she really is)
Well that's a bit depressing to read.

I like Tessa. There are some times where her klutzy and soft personality make her seem like she doesn't belong, but I like her character overall.
Old 2009-05-18, 20:08   Link #24
bleachxfan8

tessa is awesome, frankly speaking i don't care much about kaname.
Old 2009-06-10, 19:20   Link #25
Scarlett_Rain55

What happened to Kaname in the novels?
Old 2009-06-10, 23:38   Link #26
FMPfan
MadAboutFMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett_Rain55 View Post
What happened to Kaname in the novels?
read the novels xD they rock :P.
Old 2009-06-16, 01:11   Link #27
User91411
Disabled By Request

Tessa's got a great ass for a white anime chick. That is all.
Old 2009-07-14, 09:34   Link #28
ArkhanTheBlack

Actually, I read some novels myself, and I didn't had the impression that she changed that much. Maybe she got a bit more 'harder', but I wouldn't necessarily consider that as an exceptional character strength.

Tessa usually shows an exceptional amount of willpower when it really matters. In the first series when Sosuke chooses her for a hostage exchange instead of Kaname she isn't exactly thrilled about that. No fear or panic at all, instead she's pretty much pissed off.
Though the ultimate character test was the end of the first series when she was in the hands of Gauron. She caused a diversion to let Kaname escape and then gets threatened, beaten, thrown around and humiliated for 2 - 3 episodes by Gauron (Actually I found it very painfull to watch.). However she didn't give up and even tricked him knowing that this meant pretty much a death sentence for her. In the last scene before Sosuke came Gauron threw her against a wall and she was just laughing at him with bleeding face.

Okay, that's for the 'just a pretty face' nonesense! I wonder what Kaname would have done in such a situation. So far the most theatening thing she had to endure were probably Leonards kiss attacks. That's nothing against her, but being a tomboy doesn't automatically mean that a girl also has a lot of courage. There's a saying that you can only have courage if you know fear. Since Tessa is a very kind and sensible character that makes her courage even more exceptional.

Her weakness is that she tends to collapse a bit after the action. This is of course problematic in a long term war situation because it can negatively affect situations where you have make critical decisions like unavoidable sacrifices. Therefore you have to be a bit of a badass for such a job. However, in the second season and also the novels, she seems to get a bit more 'tougher' in this part.

Though, there's also a limit to how much psychological 'toughness' can be considered good. For example, there are two other good animes out there, Death Note and Code Geass which have a main character that shares some similarities with the Tessa character: Superior intellicence and physical weak or at least normal. Both Light Yagami from Death Note and Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass share those traits with Tessa but are otherwise completely different characters.
Light Yagami could be considered the perfect 'commander' since he's not only tough in a psychological sense, he's pretty much completely ruthless to a point where he can be considered as completely evil. You can be sure that he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice or shoot anyone (including his only family).
Lelouch ('Anakin' also would have been a fitting name) is only slighly better since there are at least 'some' people he cares for. He has no problem to kill people if he thinks they are in his way (which equals evil in his view) which can happen quiet fast because of his exceptional power hungry character. There are also lots of situation where it wouldn't have been necessary to kill his opponents (not even counting the fact that he often had a lot of fun doing that). The fact that his Geass could be used to enslave people made most of his action in the first series pretty dumb anyway.
Anyway, the key point is that being able to sacrifice people isn't necessarily a character strength. A character like Tessa would always try to avoid bloodshed
if possible, but she would accept it if she sees no other options. Characters like Light Yagami or Lelouch would just choose the way of bloodshed just to satisfy their own lust for power and revenge. Actually they were interesting but nevertheless very weak characters characterwise (Just my opinion...).
Actually one of Tessas most exceptional traits is that although she gets a bit tougher later on she doesn't just degenerate like many characters of other shows in comparable situations.

Tessas very unique combination of cuteness, kindness, courage and smartness makes her my all time anime character favourite so far. However, I DO think that Kaname fits better to Sosuke since normality is probably what he needs most. And Kaname represents undoubtly a lot more 'normality' than Tessa does.
Old 2009-07-16, 00:20   Link #29
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well,Kaname has some badass and courageous scenes too, but if we have to choose she's the damsel of the two girls. And you're right Tessa's anything but normal girl. Being a child genius, possessing such mental strenght, having enough charisma to command a ship and so on. If we consider Sousuke as "monster", Teresa is one too in an other sense. Perhaps the term of monster only applies to their enemies. They're pretty much human.
Old 2010-05-24, 03:04   Link #30
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
Tessa's got a great ass for a white anime chick. That is all.
That is one of the holiest posts I've ever read.

Anyway, Tessa is a magnificent character and I've always been fond of the fact that she's far more cool-tempered than Kaname, not to mention cuter and more feminine. It's a shame she has to give up on the Sousuke front, but I'm not sure I want her to be whisked away by anyone else. I think it's best they just let her get over it on her own and leave her future ambiguous.
Old 2010-05-26, 17:17   Link #31
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
That is one of the holiest posts I've ever read.

Anyway, Tessa is a magnificent character and I've always been fond of the fact that she's far more cool-tempered than Kaname, not to mention cuter and more feminine. It's a shame she has to give up on the Sousuke front, but I'm not sure I want her to be whisked away by anyone else. I think it's best they just let her get over it on her own and leave her future ambiguous.
Cute girls < Hot girls