AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2012-01-27, 06:39   Link #801
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

True, but only until Touma's right hand. Misaki can't also control Touma in his entirety.
Oh god, here we go again about Touma's inconsistent Imagine Breaker.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 06:44   Link #802
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Before you even start that you've got to ask yourself why does Misaki need that remote control in the first place?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 08:00   Link #803
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm. So Mental Out can bypass IB with the remote?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 08:22   Link #804
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

...I mean, we don't even know how it works, who's to say what can or can't happen?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 12:08   Link #805
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah.

If we take Kuroyoru as example maybe that control is an extension of her body in order to use her powers on accurate way because it has varios restrictions to begin with. She is 5th for a reason.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-01-27 at 16:56. Reason: Reverse trap
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 13:02   Link #806
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
He is 5th for a reason.

That has so many unfortunate implications...

Anyways, I think Touma can be affected by Misaki in the same way Aureolus affected Touma with Ars Magna. Flere instilled that into my head with his prophetic fanfic. He said, thus it is now canon.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 16:58   Link #807
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
That has so many unfortunate implications...
Not if is a reverse trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Anyways, I think Touma can be affected by Misaki in the same way Aureolus affected Touma with Ars Magna. Flere instilled that into my head with his prophetic fanfic. He said, thus it is now canon.
But that was because Ars Magna worked directly on Touma's brain while Misaki is using a control.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 19:19   Link #808
Breidaluk

Misaki probably can only use her powers by contact with the target. She uses the control to overcome this problem. Espers like that always need to use a roundabout way.
Breidaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 19:28   Link #809
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Ars Magna worked directly on Touma's brain
Actually, Ars Magna worked only on Touma's throat, unless "Suffocate" and "Die" occurred in two separate commands by Aureolus.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 21:00   Link #810
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

What we know about telepathy is that it is an invisible phone line between the user and the target. Touma stated once that he couldn't hear telepathy because for abc reasons his imagine breaker got in the way of that invisible phone line and destroyed it, so if we want to read more into it, as long as the line isn't touched by Touma's hand, it will work.

BTW I have yet to see anything on Misaki trying to use her mojo on Touma.... And the other way around as well
Old 2012-01-27, 22:40   Link #811
judasmartel
*Author

So... Mikoto isn't affected by Mental Out because the invisible telephone line overloaded upon contact with her electric AIM field. Is that right?

And... I guess Touma can be affected by MO as long as it doesn't reach his right hand, just like Ars Magna.
Old 2012-01-28, 01:34   Link #812
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
So... Mikoto isn't affected by Mental Out because the invisible telephone line overloaded upon contact with her electric AIM field. Is that right?

And... I guess Touma can be affected by MO as long as it doesn't reach his right hand, just like Ars Magna.
Quote:
Her ability is Mental Out (心理掌握 (メンタルアウト) Shinri Shōaku (Mentaru Auto)?, lit. "Psychological Control"), a very powerful ability involving the human mind which includes reading other people's memories, changing a person's personality by means of brainwashing, telepathy, memory elimination, amplification of will, reproduction of thought, and transplantation of emotions, all of which require her to touch her target.

Mikoto's electric barrier, which surrounds her body, prevents Misaki from using her powers on her.

Repeatedly, Misaki is shown to use a remote to use her powers. What exactly this remote works with her power has yet to be elaborated upon.
speaking of Ars Magna, in Ep 9. when Aureolus command touma and styl "on the ground". even IB hard to move when the command under effect while it should move freely
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 01:46   Link #813
judasmartel
*Author

That, and Ars Magna's power depends on the user's willpower. The user must absolutely believe that anything he wants to happen will happen, and any trace of doubt will render his powers null.

I want to believe MO works on the same deal as AM, but I think it doesn't.
Old 2012-01-28, 12:42   Link #814
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
speaking of Ars Magna, in Ep 9. when Aureolus command touma and styl "on the ground". even IB hard to move when the command under effect while it should move freely
I guess it points to the fact that AM works on the brain. Sure IB can negate w/e but the brain still controls where the hell it goes.
I'll just wait till this chapter or future ones come out before making a judgement.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 13:57   Link #815
leukrota

It's not that AM work on the brain, but rather on reality itself. Hell, he even restored dead people... I bet this is the type of magic that could affect Accelerator.

What would be interesting is MO getting a hold of someone with AM, since not only could she control that person wishes but she could make it so that he/she really believes it, thus making AM really effective.

About Misaki being able to control Touma... well, it really is hard to predict... I have the theory that the rest of his body has at least some degree of resistance, considering the weird stuff he has survived.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 14:01   Link #816
tsunade666

Ars Magna didn't work in brains. It's the epitome of alchemy which will make the user's thought/will intro reality. It doesn't work the same as mental out and I'm really surprised that your using Ars Manga as a based on how will Mental Out work on Touma even though those 2 are basically different.
Old 2012-01-28, 15:42   Link #817
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Ars Magna didn't work in brains. It's the epitome of alchemy which will make the user's thought/will intro reality. It doesn't work the same as mental out and I'm really surprised that your using Ars Manga as a based on how will Mental Out work on Touma even though those 2 are basically different.
It isn't like that, no one is arguing that they are the same. Probably the comparison is born from the fact that both abilities don't have a actual target for the Imagine Breaker to dispel.

BTW, Ars Magna did manipulate Touma's memories once, but even with that it's pretty different.

Aaaa -btw- I remember arguing about this somewhere else (at byakuya's blog) : Accelerator once mentioned that he could get "memory data" out of people using his ability, however that was of complete no use since the data he can get was a bunch of electrical signals produced by the brain and he had absolutely no way of interpreting that into logical info (the example he did was knowing which 0s and 1s are on a DVD, he can't reproduce the movie just by knowing that).

If we go by that basis and telepathy also works by obtaining or manipulating or connecting the user to the electrical waves of the brain and properly modifying them and translating them into coherent things, then it would make perfect sense to electro master to have some sort of level of incompatibility with mental abilities since their bodies and likely their brains have a higher level of bio-electricity that would get in the way of "regular operations".
Old 2012-01-28, 19:36   Link #818
giorno

just reminding you that divine punishment didn't work on touma because of IB, and we know that telepathy doesn't work on Touma and that MO probably works in a similar fashion, given how it doesn't work on Misaka due to electromagnetic waves...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 23:35   Link #819
ellifeedn
Thinker

I recently watched Akira. As I watched it, a few questions popped into my mind: Could psychic powers in that universe be rated in the Toaru universe? (i.e. Are they level 4? 5?) What about psychic powers in other universes? How would their powers compare to the ones in Toaru?

What do you guys think?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 01:36   Link #820
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Well, Akira and Tetsuo are both beyond the scope of the rating scale, and Level 6 is too nebulous and mysterious to say "These two are Level 6s."

Tags
hard science