AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-12, 00:28   Link #301
Jintor

Quick question: Are all or some the specific anime/manga/tv show references drawn from the manga, or were they all/some of them placed by Kyoto Animation? Example: Konata's specific obsession with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.
Old 2008-01-12, 13:32   Link #302
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

quick question, y r so many characters from lucky star left handed?
Old 2008-01-13, 02:01   Link #303
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The author is reputed to be left handed.... so its probably his revenge on a right-handed dominated world

Basically *none* of the easter egg / in-joke references to specific products are in the 4-koma manga --- those are almost all insertions or replacements. There are lots of gaming moments (including the generic MMO that Kona and Nanako play) and lots of "I've been there" otaku or school life moments, but all the other specific references including Anime-Tenchou, Init D, Haruhi, the Akira-Minoru segments, etc are anime-original.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-18 at 02:45.
Old 2008-01-16, 05:40   Link #304
tbl
Affably Evil

What episode was the Death Note parody in?

Thanks.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-18, 20:11   Link #305
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
What episode was the Death Note parody in?

Thanks.
episode 4 unless there was another one
Old 2008-01-25, 20:54   Link #306
Dee Eon

Hi from a Kanata-holic!!

Hi! from a Kanata Addict and thank you for this awesome fanpage!

I hope I'm posting in the right main general place! I'm not just new to Lucky Star via YouTube, but anime in general, thing most dragging me over being ep 22 with poor Kanata which wrenched my heart and hooked me on the show! Got lots of questions about her tho' which the show only teases at.

Anyway, one of the most things contagious things about Lucky Star is it teases you to peek under the hood of some of the gags and off-beat cultural references made on the show that goes right over a anime/manga newbie's head, especially if you're not Japanese! Like it'd be so cool to have a separate page/topic acting as an encyclopedia of Obscure Lucky Star Mentions and Situations to answer and interpret some of the more arcane mentions and phrases used on the show for clueless newbies like me in one place, such as:

In Episode 21 entering bus station Konata says "So Iris Entered This Place."

In Episode 23 Sōjirō batches up a cup of noodles then bows in a pool of light and says "I Was Teased."

What's the "battle hymn" background score in Episode 12 when Konata assigns the twins their missions at Comiket?

Where/How did Konata get her "Legendary Girl A" title?

Why's Konata holding a flare and a knife at that concert in ep 15?

What is the greenish-yellowish drink Konata seems to have around a lot?

In episode 5, Tsukasa is chatting on phone with Konata about something "cute and round" and -- depleted uranium?? What on earth are they chatting about??

What likely computer brand does Konata use?

In Episode 12 while shamelessly buttering-up her dad, why is Konata strikingly more leggy/taller than usual? (Is it really her dream sequence of her idea self?)

Is the constant reference to smells an inside joke regarding the office environment conditions of Kyoto Animation? Seems to me we get a hint of how the animators see it in Episode 21 when Kagami visiting there says "There's nothing here!" and Konata replies "That's how they keep their minds on their work."

How are the ages of Kanata and Sōjirō in Wiki so off??

But that's just hint of what I'd like to see in a obscure mentions page/topic. I also noticed that there are not only lots and lots of questions about the eps but great answers and background info along these points scattered all over this site, and I'd be willing to take on the job of gathering all these up into dedicated single episode 'topic' pages which not only have in-depth episode synopsis (and maybe even YouTube dialogue) but a list of interpreted Jap cultural and insider joke references made on the show, maybe with hotlinks to related sites included. It would be the definitive expandable episode resource.

Sorry I used so much space, but this is an awesome fanpage that beats all and I'd like to contribute some!

Happy to be here and help keep it busy!

Dee
Old 2008-01-26, 03:40   Link #307
Jintor

I'm not as knowlegable as most people here, but I'll do my best. Please stop with the exclamation marks though, it hurts my brains that you're so excited. >___<

Quote:
Why's Konata holding a flare and a knife at that concert in ep 15?
She's at the SuzumiyaHaruhiNoGekisou, look up some videos on Youtube. You'll see most of the audience has the glowsticks. And I'm preeeety sure she didn't have a knife. If she did, possibly a Ryoko reference, but no idea.

Quote:
In episode 5, Tsukasa is chatting on phone with Konata about something "cute and round" and -- depleted uranium?? What on earth are they chatting about??
It's a reference to Gundam's fictional science system... I think. Something about Minisky particles? Minsky particles? Something like that...

Quote:
In Episode 12 while shamelessly buttering-up her dad, why is Konata strikingly more leggy/taller than usual? (Is it really her dream sequence of her idea self?)
Optical illusion; she's always that tall (or rather, she's still short in that scene). You generally don't notice it though because she's around taller people for most other scenes. In that scene, her dad's sitting down, so yeah.

Quote:
How are the ages of Kanata and Sōjirō in Wiki so off??
It does say "At Death" on Kanata's entry... realise that Konata's about... 18? I think? and the age gap more or less disappears.
Old 2008-01-27, 15:06   Link #308
Once and Current Subber

That episode 5 reference was to the mecha from FMP, the squat one that the North Koreans were using... Savage, wasn't it?
Old 2008-02-16, 18:24   Link #309
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
That episode 5 reference was to the mecha from FMP, the squat one that the North Koreans were using... Savage, wasn't it?

Thanks a trillion for the helpful note! Only thing left is I'm googling all over for where the reference to uranium ties in, but thanks for the lead! Sigh! If only Wiki had a Lucky Star glossary of obscure terms and mentions!

Dee
Old 2008-02-18, 17:48   Link #310
Once and Current Subber

Depleted uranium gets used in certain types of tank armor or armor-piercing ammunition. (Whether Tsukasa knows that, or if it's just "oh! Depleted uranium, that sounds nice!" is left up to the viewer's imagination...)

You can expect something as far as liner notes with the official DVDs, if I'm not mistaken. ;p
Old 2008-02-23, 18:16   Link #311
Amray

I really want to see this. Can somebody explain to me what it is like?
Old 2008-02-24, 23:01   Link #312
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its like the comic Peanuts (an ascerbic daily life in high school) but in Japan with japanese sensibilitiy and many gags. There's a ton of easter eggs and other genre references inserted into the anime for fun and frolic. There's a bit of a plot evolution but the meat of the series is that it is presented as a series of sketches skewering "life and society".
The first episode seemed to be a love/hate episode -- people either loved or hated it. The rest more people seemed to like on average.

You'll have to go scraping around in the "dark alleys of the Internet" for subs to preview it, and then you'll want to buy the DVDs as they are released later this spring.
Old 2008-02-25, 13:02   Link #313
Amray

Okay, I think I will end up getting one day anyhow so..whatever happens happens. ^_^

Is is a bit like Azumanga Daioh? I absolutely adored that Anime. I have the boxset and everything. XP
Old 2008-02-25, 14:20   Link #314
Once and Current Subber

It's got some common sensibility, but there's a few differences. Specifically, Azumanga really was like Peanuts - pretty universal humor - while Lucky Star has a mixture of that and specific otaku humor. The main character's an otaku, a gamer, and the show celebrates it... but it also scores points off her all the time, and while she's a winner by her own standards, she's also something of a loser. ;p
Old 2008-02-25, 14:32   Link #315
Amray

Haha, yeah the chick with the Blue hair seems awesome. I've always had a thing for girls with blue hair. XD

Yeah the moment that I started considering watching this Anime was when I saw a picture of her with a playstation controller and other stuff like that. I was like "awesome =}".
Old 2008-02-28, 04:29   Link #316
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'll probably enjoy it then. The anime-only references were pretty enjoyable for people who like "spotting the reference" and the comedy between the characters and their foibles is excellent for those who like their comedy to build slowly to a boil.

AzuDa is in its own class of brilliance, L*S relies a bit more on sketch gag than story gag. ... they're both 4-koma (4 panel comic) sources though.
Old 2008-02-28, 07:35   Link #317
Amray

In that case I really wish to try out this Anime. ^_^

I own loads of Animes that have amazing storylines, and when I bought Azumanga Daioh I adored it because it was something different and absolutely hilarious. XD
Randomness is the thing that makes me laugh most and Azumanga Daioh was full of it.
Old 2008-03-03, 03:10   Link #318
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Im curious to those that read the manga...../comic strip thing.
how similar is it to the anime. Like I love the anime, but I dont like anime's/manga's that are "overly ecchi, or have way to much fan-service".
since the anime didn't really have this I was curious if the manga had a ton of fan-service or if it was like the anime.....?

thx
Old 2008-03-03, 07:17   Link #319
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Like the anime, no fanservice. Some characters are slightly different, but it's the same Lucky Star.
Old 2008-03-03, 11:20   Link #320
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
slightly different? just in how their drawn? or how they act?
and were speaking of the 4 panel comic strip thing here I assume?
Closed Thread