AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-06, 00:46   Link #61
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Yay! Can't wait!
Old 2011-09-12, 01:11   Link #62
killer3000ad

Andy Whitfield dies from lymphoma
Old 2011-09-12, 03:13   Link #63
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Don't remind me...

Also:

the battle at Vesuvius is against Legate Glaber. He is utterly humiliated at the hands of Spartacus... again.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:24   Link #64
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spartacus TV actor Andy Whitfield dies at 39

It's such a tragedy on what happen to him. RIP Andy.
Old 2011-09-12, 10:51   Link #65
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Didn't watch Spartacus, but my (older) brother have turned depressed recently over the news as well...
Old 2011-09-12, 11:15   Link #66
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Sad news indeed. I really liked his portrayal on Spartacus. R.I.P.
Old 2011-09-12, 13:17   Link #67
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This news just made his portrayal in Blood and Sand all the harder to watch without feeling like weeping.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 20:49   Link #68
Xion Valkyrie

It's back!

Even though the new season wasn't supposed to air on cable until Friday, they decided to show the episode on internet early!

http://www.starz.com/originals/spart.../#/episode-201
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 22:12   Link #69
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

aww, just watched ep 2. they brought back the idiot no one liked. i was like, "OMFGWTFBBQ THEY BROUGHT BACK GANNICUS!!" such a let down...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 00:21   Link #70
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

so its finally over........

I knew it was coming but still it leaves a bitter after taste, Rome won and ceasar and crassus are still breathing...so disappointing
Old 2013-04-13, 00:50   Link #71
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Of course Rome won and Caesar and Crassus lived, what do you expect?
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 04:08   Link #72
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

something original....
Old 2013-04-13, 05:25   Link #73
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Not sure what you were expecting out of a story based on history. It'd be like making a WW II movie, but letting Hitler win.

I think they gave him about the best ending they could really. Ending it with him still drawing breath, ala King Arthur/Avalon style might have been slightly better, I suppose, which is what I had always thought the show would end with, but it was close.

Overall, it wasn't the strongest season. Spartacus, the show, was always best in the arena (Season 1, and the interlude that centered around Gannicus), and I know the producer?/writer?/director? has mentioned how in retrospect they should have spent a few seasons in the ludus, prior to breaking out, but they hadn't expected to do as well as they had, so wanted to get the story out "fast".

I enjoyed seeing a different take on Caesar (as well as Rome as the enemy), and I can only imagine there are writers already feverishly attempting to write screenplays to sell to Hollywood over a young Caesar story that differs greatly from the more traditional, cultured statesman that the plethora of Roman media over the years has given us.

Crassus, as the antagonist, didn't particularly live up to his promise of the first episode, and nothing really can stand up to Batiatus and Lucretia who were fantastic in Blood and Sand/Gods of the Arena. I guess it was a nice touch for Crassus, as a character, to show he's not entirely caught up in all the rhetoric he spews, with his little heart to heart(s) with Spartacus in the finale (though I'm also glad Spartacus didn't reciprocate such feelings, as that would have been a little too mushy ).

Still, while any more seasons would have overstayed their welcome, it's still sad to see Spartacus end its run. At least Starz has a new show which looks promising if the first episode is anything to go by, Da Vinci's Demons. Not quite as Chuck Norris as Spartacus, but still looks like it'll be a fun ride.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-13 at 05:36.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 22:34   Link #74
Xagzan

Yeah, Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena are definitely the best seasons, I think. The intrigue and machinations and of course the Batiatus couple were never quite matched in subsequent seasons.

As for the finale, they said they were gonna make us cry, but I was pretty dry eyed even as all the heroes were dying. Not that it wasn't sad, I'm just saying.

Spoiler:
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 22:45   Link #75
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Yeah, Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena are definitely the best seasons, I think. The intrigue and machinations and of course the Batiatus couple were never quite matched in subsequent seasons.

As for the finale, they said they were gonna make us cry, but I was pretty dry eyed even as all the heroes were dying. Not that it wasn't sad, I'm just saying.

Spoiler:
Is it strange I felt more for Gannicus' fate than Spartacus'? Gannicus, who was always the most level-headed of them all, fighting a fight he never really believed in, having to meet that particular end, all because-in the end-these were his brothers, and he had to have their back, regardless of how stupid he may have thought it all was.

On the real life side, it's still kind of a numb feeling at how Andy Whitfield just up and died as suddenly as he did. Liam McIntyre did about as much as could possibly be asked as his replacement, which I commend him for. That "other" actress replacement was far less well done, and I really disliked the transformation of Naevia after the original actress quit.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 09:37   Link #76
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Maybe I'm alone but I root for the Romans.
They are just a bunch of underdogs struggling against superhuman enemies.
Seriously, what did they feed their slaves?
Old 2013-04-14, 10:23   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^I think your the only one. Throughout the series most of the Romans i seen were a bunch of upstart assholes who always think they are superior than others, hypocrites who claim to have honor but are willing to back stab others for their own gain and double standards view of their actions (eg. Romans have no problem of raping a barbarian but when it's the other way around, it's heinous crime that must punish since it's a filthy barbarian.)

In fact, Spartacus' Rebellion began because one Roman General decided to do a stupid thing for glory all for his wife's booty and a Gladiator master lied and manipulated the hero for his reputation.

PS: I only seen the censored version of this show and i prefer it since some uncensored clips i seen are way too much for me.
Old 2013-04-14, 19:57   Link #78
VTHokiePride

I'm glad the show ended the way it did. Spartacus died with his comrades rather than around the Romans. I was a little invested with his relationships with Mira and Laeta, but mainly him and Mira because I believed she loved him where Laeta seemed to admire and respect him. I knew that in the end, most if not all of the rebels were going to die. After Crixus was killed during the attack on Rome, I was certain that was going to be the outcome at the end of the series. I'm a little surprised Agron survived with a small amount of rebels. I guess the director couldn't let all of them die. I felt crushed when Pompey said he routed an army to the north, but was happy to see Laeta, Agron, and a few survived. The one person I pitied was Kore. I don't think she needed to be crucified by the man she loved.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 23:10   Link #79
Xagzan

Well, she did kill his son

Also, it would've been repetitive to have Agron crucified two episodes in a row, so I wasn't surprised he was spared.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 05:16   Link #80
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
^I think your the only one. Throughout the series most of the Romans i seen were a bunch of upstart assholes who always think they are superior than others, hypocrites who claim to have honor but are willing to back stab others for their own gain and double standards view of their actions (eg. Romans have no problem of raping a barbarian but when it's the other way around, it's heinous crime that must punish since it's a filthy barbarian.)

In fact, Spartacus' Rebellion began because one Roman General decided to do a stupid thing for glory all for his wife's booty and a Gladiator master lied and manipulated the hero for his reputation.

PS: I only seen the censored version of this show and i prefer it since some uncensored clips i seen are way too much for me.
Yes, some Roman nobles are assholes, but how about the average citizens and soldiers? Remember Varro, Spartacus' best friend in season 1? He is a Roman too.
The majority of the killed Romans are commoners, not nobles; and the audience is supposed to cheer for the heroes butchering those unlucky guys?

Regarding double standards, the rebels obviously committed many atrocious acts as well.
When a Roman commits a crime, he is evil. When a slave commits a crime, it's revenge so it's okay. Right?