AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-03, 19:10   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Character Discussion - Fuyumi Irisu

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Fuyumi Irisu related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hyouka fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-07-03, 19:33   Link #2
Ray
Garnet

Oh, Irisu got her own thread, awesome.

She's definitely my favourite character in the series, and I hope that the current arc won't be the last we see of her. I love manipulative characters, but I understand the hate she gets because of how manipulative she is.
Old 2012-07-03, 20:28   Link #3
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

If this is the last of Irisu, this series will fall down a couple of notches.
Old 2012-07-03, 21:21   Link #4
Sakanaka Shouko

I like Irisu, she's a cunning girl.
She's one of my favorite characters along with Sawakiguchi and Oreki.
Old 2012-07-03, 22:01   Link #5
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Well, I do hope she can get a good resolution for the current arc, because as soon as Oreki snapped at her the fans seem to respond to his anger as well - fanart of her and Oreki somehow stopped production

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2012-07-03, 23:30   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Well, I do hope she can get a good resolution for the current arc, because as soon as Oreki snapped at her the fans seem to respond to his anger as well - fanart of her and Oreki somehow stopped production
Yes how strange....Maybe it wasn't so the fanart would be replaced with Oreki strangling Irisu to death instead .

Not going to bring things down, but will say she's definitely an impactful character. One that makes me very angry, but a well done character there is no doubt about that.
Old 2012-07-04, 00:21   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yes how strange....Maybe it wasn't so the fanart would be replaced with Oreki strangling Irisu to death instead .
Or they'll be replaced with hot, angry make-out scenes.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:29   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Or they'll be replaced with hot, angry make-out scenes.
And S&M or even full blown netorare and rape h-manga.

That said, people sure are giving Irisu a lot of credit when more than likely, it was Oreki Tomoe who told her how to push Houtarou's buttons.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:32   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
And S&M or even full blown netorare and rape h-manga.
What? Don't be silly...

...Just normal angry sex
Old 2012-07-08, 21:36   Link #10
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Man, I hope she makes a comeback. This show needs her flare.
Old 2012-07-08, 23:04   Link #11
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

OVA fanservice episode.

No Irisu at all.

COME ON KYOANI.
Old 2012-07-15, 23:49   Link #12
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

She makes an appearance in OP 2, along with a bunch of other random characters from the past cases.
Old 2012-07-16, 15:33   Link #13
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Not good enough! D:
Old 2012-07-17, 21:45   Link #14
n120cky

Irisu is a kind of character needed in this anime. She has a firm personality, which is other characters lack in this series.
Old 2012-07-21, 04:49   Link #15
Shadow5YA

I remember when people disapproved of her for manipulating Houtarou's feelings in the previous arc. What she did never really bothered me that much. Honestly, it seemed like a repeat of what Houtarou did to the smoker to get him to bring out the Hyouka anthologies.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:28   Link #16
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
I remember when people disapproved of her for manipulating Houtarou's feelings in the previous arc. What she did never really bothered me that much. Honestly, it seemed like a repeat of what Houtarou did to the smoker to get him to bring out the Hyouka anthologies.
From the standpoint of the viewer it's cool when the hero does the hard-nosed, steely, on-the-edge thing to bring about a resolution against someone who has it coming. It's another thing entirely when the hero has it done to him.

The fact that people are disapproving just shows that the show is succeeding in making people identify with Houtarou and his friends, even though Houtarou is quite the antihero.
Old 2012-07-21, 14:18   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Well, I think they're morally comparable but they're two different things.

One is a guy who's essentially caught breaking the rules, and Houtarou uses implicit blackmail against him to get the Hyouka anthologies.

What Irisu did is actually milder than outright blackmail, but it's done to a relatively innocent "victim".

Still, I think that both acts are roughly the same shade of grey, if you will.

So I'm glad you raised this point. I spent a lot of time defending Irisu, but I never thought of the comparison you just raised, and it is an interesting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
From the standpoint of the viewer it's cool when the hero does the hard-nosed, steely, on-the-edge thing to bring about a resolution against someone who has it coming. It's another thing entirely when the hero has it done to him.

The fact that people are disapproving just shows that the show is succeeding in making people identify with Houtarou and his friends, even though Houtarou is quite the antihero.
That's true, but I hope that over time maybe some viewers will start to see Irisu's actions as the fairly mild "wrong-doing" that they are.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:12   Link #18
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Irisu makes her glorious return in episode 14, sweet jesus she's amazing
Old 2012-07-23, 04:51   Link #19
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
GMT's point is certainly true, but as one of those who strongly disapprove what Irisu did, I would say that's not all there is to it. Irisu lied. Not only to Houtarou, but also her friends, classmates, and even her senior. Houtarou didn't. Unless you count his "We need to go to the library." And unlike Irisu's, Houtarou's "I feel bad for what I did" is, to me, genuine. He also said that to the person himself, not to a third one. IMO, manipulating and blackmailing by themselves are "not wrong, but not to be praised." The difference between the two cases here is how they does it. Houtarou's blackmailing is not to be praised, but Irisu's lying has to be criticized.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:02   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Say what you will about Irisu, but she tends to help people out when folks ask her for help. Eru got a lot more help from Irisu in Episode 14 than she got from anybody else that she asked for help from in this recent arc...

Tags
characters