AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-24, 14:02   Link #721
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

New vids; would've uploaded them myself but I don't want to lose my YT account because of copyright infringement notices (these two trailers are supposed to be Premium exclusive content). So...be sure to watch them before they get taken down.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Love how they modified a M416/7 into a makeshift crossbow. ^_^

YouTube

"Scavenger" looks nice (it could be interesting for people who don't have all weapons unlocked - it could allow them to taste items they don't have yet, just like "Gun Master"), and the "Leveled Battlefield" game mode sort of reminds of CoD:BO's "One in the Chamber", though this time (if I'm not mistaken) you should be able to gain more weapons as you breeze through the map. It feels a bit like a Close Quarters v2.0 IMHO.

Anyway, Aftermath goes live next month...which is a nice timing, because I've recently unlocked the final weapon that was missing in my panoply (the bloody Pancor Mk3A1 "Jackhammer" ). I don't think I'll bother completing the other dog tag and camo assignments, though... Not really interesting and rewarding IMHO.

On the other side, I wouldn't mind taking part in this month's competition, which should unlock the new exclusive dog tag, just for the lulz:

XD

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-11-24 at 15:41.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 14:53   Link #722
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
New vids; would've uploaded them myself but I don't want to lose my YT account because of copyright infringement notices (these two trailers are supposed to be Premium exclusive content). So...be sure to watch them before they get taken down...
Interesting, though I would think that making trailers exclusive content would be counterproductive, given that their purpose is to build interest. What they mean, I suspect, is that the content advertised can only be found (at least for now) in the Permuim packages.

I've got to ask, though - can you recover crossbow bolts (with the obvious exceptions)?

Quote:
"Scavenger" looks nice (it could be interesting for people who don't have all weapons unlocked - it could allow them to taste items they don't have yet, just like "Gun Master")...
Like the short-lived 'Old School' mode in... CoD: Modern Warfare, I think... 'Scavenger' is a throwback to older FPS' - think Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, etc. - where OSP is pretty much the order of the day. Bonus points if the pickups are randomized each round ala Halo 4 (this way, you can't count on the M60 always spawning in the same spot every time).

Quote:
Anyway, Aftermath goes live next month...which is a nice timing, because I've recently unlocked the final weapon that was missing in my panoply (the bloody Pancor Mk3A1 "Jackhammer" :D )..
As I believe I've said before in this thread, it's a shame that gun doesn't get more game time... and as far as I know, EA never implemented its 'Bear Trap' accessory (a reusable kit that makes one of the Jackhammer's magazines into a boobytrap, firing all ten rounds simultaneously when triggered).

Spoiler for Theoretical game mechanics note:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 15:53   Link #723
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Interesting, though I would think that making trailers exclusive content would be counterproductive, given that their purpose is to build interest. What they mean, I suspect, is that the content advertised can only be found (at least for now) in the Permuim packages.
Some of the features alluded to in the 2nd trailer are Premium-exclusive, such as the camo and dog tag assignments, but AFAIK...weapons, vehicles and other equipment are available to all who have bought the Aftermath DLC. No, it's a Premium-exclusive sneak peek, meant to make the Premium guys feel special, I'm afraid. Yeah, Premium guys don't get much over the regular players, aside from the fact that by buying the Premium pack, they
  • get all DLCs at a discount price, cheaper than if they were to buy them separately
  • have a two-week headstart for each DLC
  • get exclusive camos and dog tags (useless unless you like you want to make your opponent gape in jealousy while watching the killcam)
  • can enjoy server queue fasttracking
And that's ALL. No new weapon (save the ACB-90, which is just a new skin for the combat knife - the stats are unchanged), no new vehicle, NOTHING.
So...they try to make us feel better by offering us double XP periods, lithograph gift competitions, etc. And the sneak peeks.

Quote:
I've got to ask, though - can you recover crossbow bolts (with the obvious exceptions)?
It is possible; I was actually thinking about it when typing my previous post: the second trailer above said that ammo was limited - which means that either:
  • Ammo pack loadout is disabled in the Scavenger mode.
  • You can only collect more ammo by standing over dead bodies.
  • You can only get more ammo by collecting weapons that are still lying around.

Quote:
Bonus points if the pickups are randomized each round ala Halo 4 (this way, you can't count on the M60 always spawning in the same spot every time).
They probably are randomized, unlike vehicles, which usually spawn at very specific points. This should ensure that all teams are balanced. I do hope, however, that the spawning system is better thought-out than in Close Quarters - I can't imagine the number of times I got gunned down by spawnkillers and baserapists looking for easy points.

Quote:
As I believe I've said before in this thread, it's a shame that gun doesn't get more game time... and as far as I know, EA never implemented its 'Bear Trap' accessory (a reusable kit that makes one of the Jackhammer's magazines into a boobytrap, firing all ten rounds simultaneously when triggered).
I'm afraid there's already the M18 Claymore for that - DICE might not care for redundant weapons or features that make them too overpowered. Anyway, the Jackhammer never got into full production (there were only two prototypes IIRC), so aside from gun enthusiasts, few people know about the bear trap functionality and thus fewer would care about its implementation in the game.
Old 2012-11-24, 18:43   Link #724
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Some of the features alluded to in the 2nd trailer are Premium-exclusive, such as the camo and dog tag assignments, but AFAIK...weapons, vehicles and other equipment are available to all who have bought the Aftermath DLC. No, it's a Premium-exclusive sneak peek, meant to make the Premium guys feel special, I'm afraid...
I repeat, it seems rather counterproductive. What's the point of trailers that show off 'here's what you get with X package' if the only people who can officially see them are those who already have that package?

Quote:
It is possible; I was actually thinking about it when typing my previous post...
And, after all, most folks would expect to be able to pick up stray crossbow bolts and throwing knives (again, with obvious exceptions like the HE bolts).

Quote:
I'm afraid there's already the M18 Claymore for that - DICE might not care for redundant weapons or features that make them too overpowered.
Actually, the Bear Trap is a lesser claymore in terms of functionality when compared to the M18, whose areas of effect are shown below:

In comparison, the Bear Trap has only the primary cone, and that a much shorter one; it lacks all the secondary cones and blast radius. Besides, you're giving up ten shells to field each of the things... those seem fair 'downsides' to what is basically an all-kit booby trap.

Quote:
Anyway, the Jackhammer never got into full production (there were only two prototypes IIRC), so aside from gun enthusiasts, few people know about the bear trap functionality and thus fewer would care about its implementation in the game.
Yes, but if you're going to the trouble to include a particular gun in your game, you might as well do it properly. Aside from it being a matter of principle, DICE always bothered to include brief backgrounds on all the weapons in the game, and such a discrepancy would be spotted quickly enough.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 08:59   Link #725
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I repeat, it seems rather counterproductive. What's the point of trailers that show off 'here's what you get with X package' if the only people who can officially see them are those who already have that package?
Those trailers usually become widely available on YouTube, just...two or three weeks after. Premium people just have access to them two-three weeks before the rest.

And...they don't already have the package. They are about to get it.

Quote:
And, after all, most folks would expect to be able to pick up stray crossbow bolts and throwing knives (again, with obvious exceptions like the HE bolts).
And maybe DICE doesn't want to look too much like COD. I mean, with Close Quarters and the inclusion of the Gun Master game mode (which was popularized by Counter-Strike IIRC), a lot of people criticized DICE for trying to lean towards COD with the run-and-gun mentality.

Quote:
Actually, the Bear Trap is a lesser claymore in terms of functionality when compared to the M18, whose areas of effect are shown below:

In comparison, the Bear Trap has only the primary cone, and that a much shorter one; it lacks all the secondary cones and blast radius. Besides, you're giving up ten shells to field each of the things... those seem fair 'downsides' to what is basically an all-kit booby trap.
Which is a moot point, because in BF3 the Claymore doesn't have a 50m+ kill radius and is only triggered when a hapless victim walks within 1m of its front face. It's practically just a static M67 grenade with a motion sensor. So why introduce a weapon that's even weaker? It could serve as a short range denial weapon (as opposed to the Claymore's immediate range denial role), but it'd be redundant gameplay wise since the Claymore is already fulfilling that role.

Quote:
Yes, but if you're going to the trouble to include a particular gun in your game, you might as well do it properly. Aside from it being a matter of principle, DICE always bothered to include brief backgrounds on all the weapons in the game, and such a discrepancy would be spotted quickly enough.
If you want a fully realistic FPS where weapon stats are just about on the dot, try ARMA II. Battlefield is somewhere between COD and ARMAII, but it definitely makes room for gameplay leveling. I mean, one of the latest updates changelogs (see previous page) clearly states that the Remington ACR's stats (AKA Magpul Masada) were buffed up so that the carbine could become an alternative to the M4/M4A1 - this shows that DICE can and sacrifice fidelity in favor of gameplay.
Old 2012-11-27, 14:21   Link #726
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Holy crap.

YouTube

Available today for PS3 Premium members and in a week for PC and XBox.

The DLC will be available along with these fixes:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-27, 19:02   Link #727
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I think, I've found a new love in that crossbow.
Old 2012-12-04, 12:22   Link #728
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, Aftermath went online today (gotta love EA and DICE - yesterday I had to DL a >3.8Gb patch and today a 3.9Gb DLC) for us PC and Xbox players and yikes! It's really a different, challenging kind of fun.

I just finished a couple of Scavenger matches and I must say this game type ain't a walk in the park. Your starting/respawn loadout is reduced to a pistol, a couple grenades and a combat knife. Your mission: conquer all flags on the map (like Conquest/Conquest Domination), all the while capturing random weapons scattered about. Each time you claim a new rifle/shotgun/machine gun/SMG/PDW, you only have two reloads and then you'll have to go hunt for a new primary weapon because you're once again bone dry (no ammo packs available in the player loadout). And try not to get killed while foraging (I didn't have to opportunity to verify this, but I have the impression that the weapon drop points expire after a certain time, meaning you need to keep moving and conquer as much territory as possible).

It's kinda scary when all you've got is a sidearm and the enemy in front of you is equipped with an MG or a shotgun. >_<

For now, my favorite map is Talah market but that might change, as I haven't come across Markaz Monolith yet. Gotta love the increased verticality - in Talah, once you get on the house rooftops, you can effectively turn a bunch of alleys into slaughterhouses.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-12-04 at 19:49. Reason: Grammar/syntax
Old 2012-12-04, 19:28   Link #729
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That sounds interesting, kinda like the mode that was introduced in CC which I forget the name of that I sucked horribly at.

But I have to DL another 3.9GB?! god dammit, what the hell did I download yesterday then! /grumble.
Old 2012-12-04, 19:56   Link #730
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Oh, Gun Master? There are minute similarities in that you're stuck with an uncustomized weapon and the only way to secure a better loadout is by PTFO (playing the f****** objective). I must admit that while I do like running amok with a pistol in Conquest Domination, somehow I hate sidearms in Aftermath. I feel horribly inadequate...almost buck naked with just a pea shooter to defend my ass.

Since you mentioned GM, DICE just rolled a server-side update allowing admins to change the weapon progression - there are now several weapon playlists available (Normal Reversed, Light Weight, Heavy Gear, Pistols Only, Sniper's Heaven, US Arms Race, RU Arms Race and EU Arms Race) and this should make gameplay somewhat less monotonous or annoying (not really a fan of the weapons at the start of the default playlist).

Anyway, I just unlocked the standard crossbow (it is already available even to people who haven't completed the assignment, as it's part of the random weapon drops) and it plays very much like a bolt action sniper rifle (due to long reload time), except that the bolt has greater drop (though this should be remedied once I unlock the balanced bolt) and emits absolutely no noise, which is perfect for silent takedowns.
Old 2012-12-06, 17:25   Link #731
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Aftermath feels a lot like the original BF3 maps mixed with CQ to give mid-range map fights. At first, I didn't like it, but I've gotten used to the run, take time to shoot, and then change spots. AM seems to give BF3 a real sense of urban warfare compared to its other maps which was just large scale vehicle warfare.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:20   Link #732
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

OK, I've been playing BF3 on Xbox 360 for a while now, but I still have this noobish question: My hard drive is a filled nearly to capacity with updates. Do you have to keep all the old updates? Can I delete them?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:27   Link #733
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
OK, I've been playing BF3 on Xbox 360 for a while now, but I still have this noobish question: My hard drive is a filled nearly to capacity with updates. Do you have to keep all the old updates? Can I delete them?
I have BF3 for the PC and not the 360, but I would assume you can delete the old updates since they would just be downloaded files that were already installed.

Old 2012-12-08, 16:47   Link #734
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
I don't have an Xbox 360 either, unfortunately... Perhaps delete one of the smaller updates to test this out?
Though if I remember correctly, deleting the updates will only cause them to be redownloaded when you next launch the game (if it's similar to the Wii U's data management).
What's the capacity of your hard drive?
Old 2013-01-12, 06:44   Link #735
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

*bump*

I have been avoiding BF3 (enjoying an extended hiatus from many time-consuming activities, too) for the better part of a month already due to an inexplicable and very heart-wrenching case of video slowdown and rubberbanding...which only got fixed yesterday after I bought 8Gb of DDR3 RAM (to replace my original 4; I have no use ATM for a whopping 16 gigs) and momentarily overclocked my GPU (game was still back to normal, even after I reset the card back to factory default, which is weird as I thought the OC'ing was the cause of the quality restoration). I'm still puzzled as to what went wrong in the first place; soon after the lags started, I kept downgrading my video settings like there was no tomorrow yet I still had the mother of all lags, screen freezes and latency-induced deaths (the ever-infamous and aggravating corner-shot). Cutting down on services/parallel processes did nothing, and neither did optimizing my router/wifi card. I thought Aftermath was to blame for this but since the AM maps are working just fine ATM (and I noticed no issue right after downloading the DLC), I've begun to doubt my own suspicions.

Anyway, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to God (or who/whatever is up there) that this improvement shall persist. I have the habit of making bare-metal restores to my Windows partition every once in a while, so I hope that the next time I do so, I won't be confronted with the same slowdown problem. >_>

In other news, the End Game DLC teaser trailer is out.

YouTube

Rumor has it that more weapons were planned for EG, but the higher-ups at EA decided that BF3 had too many firearms already and thus scuttled these plans. Cue in player base rage and EA/DICE bashing.

OTOH, for those with sharp eyes, it indeed looks like EG will introduce a new exclusive game mode, the classic "capture the flag". Looks like there'll be a rash of roadkill action the very week this DLC will hit the airwaves, just like when everyone started using the crossbow right after Aftermath's release.

Yesterday four-five more assignments went live, but they're just weapon camos. *sigh* I wish DICE'd offer more useful or alluring unlocks than mere retextures/skins...

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-01-12 at 08:49.
Old 2013-01-12, 18:56   Link #736
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

That teaser looks quite disappointing . A motorcycle...haha. But yeah, BF3 needs more weapons not more crappy vehicles and not more maps. All the maps are fun just need moar pew pew!!! Well, let's just hope they're saving the best for BF4 >_>

Old 2013-01-31, 10:51   Link #737
konart

End of Game CTF trailer:

YouTube

Also: Air superiority

YouTube
Old 2013-01-31, 16:46   Link #738
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

^
The air superiority video looks sikkk, but too bad in-game really isn't like that (6 planes going straight for 6 planes). There's always the pro flyers and the nubs like me . I tried to practice but it's hard so I eventually gave up on flying.

Old 2013-02-14, 06:19   Link #739
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Can't believe I haven't asked this yet, but are there any people here who own the game on PC and feel like getting some games in together?

I prefer Skype chats for some actual planning/teamwork, but hey, it ain't a necessity or anything. :3
Old 2013-02-14, 19:15   Link #740
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I play on PC. Just search up my forum name here and it should pop up and add me