AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-08-03, 06:33   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Texting while driving

So I came across this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D187703

What irony. One of his last texts (not the last one) before he got in a terrible accident was "I need to quit texting, because I could die in a car accident". He then suffered brain injuries, lost the ability to speak for months, and broke nearly every bone in his body.

Texting while driving is a problem that really bothers me. It makes me mad sometimes. I have never texted while driving. People who do this, is it worth it for them to die, or kill other people, for the sake of leaving some little text message like "lol yeah whatever" or "i'll be at that party"? The answer is of course not. Yet so many Americans are endangering themselves and other people, if not hurting or killing themselves and other people, over short, little text messages that just simply don't need to be sent while they are driving. For every single accident, fatal and non-lethal, where the cause was texting, the texting just wasn't worthwhile.

It also bothers me that people will do this while transporting people. A couple or few years ago in Boston, a train operator crashed into the back of another train because he didn't stop it on time. The cause? He was texting while operating the train. Several people became injured. No one died, but someone or some people could have died. When you have that kind of job and you injure people because of being so irresponsible, I think it is more than being totally irresponsible, I think it is unethical. Such a maddening incident. He was fired, but I think he should have faced some amount of jail time for it.

What are your thoughts on texting while driving? Do you ever do it? Do you know someone who does? What do you think of people texting when they really should be paying attention to something at hand? Share your thoughts in this thread.
Old 2012-08-03, 07:13   Link #2
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I personally do not answer the phone nor respond to text while driving as my attention is easily divided as it is. People around me do answer the phone, which rubs me the wrong way, but it's far better than texting, which they won't do. It also depends how much experience they have and what roads they are on (but even then, I'd rather they don't). Here there usually isn't much traffic outside of towns so it's less of an issue.

Unless they collide with a tree or animal, but that's just them being injured so.

The worst I've seen is a combo of texting/talking on the phone, while doing something else. While driving. Smoking/doing make-up while talking on the phone seems to be a favorite. Whenever I see one of those, I wish they get a date with a lamppost.

As for your other example, public transportation drivers have a huge responsibility, so yeah. I can't recall any such incident here, luckily. I'd be in favor of jail-time, though, seeing how they risk not only themselves, but a lot of people.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 07:13   Link #3
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What are your thoughts on texting while driving? Do you ever do it? Do you know someone who does? What do you think of people texting when they really should be paying attention to something at hand? Share your thoughts in this thread.
1. One of the worst thing you can do while driving.
2. Nope.
3. See people do it on the road all the time.
4. They need to get some common sense *****-slapped into their head
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 07:30   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
What are your thoughts on texting while driving?
It's STUPID.

Quote:
Do you ever do it?
Never! Because I don't have a car nor a motorbike. If I ever came to take a ride with a friend then he/she starts texting while driving... I'll ask him/her to stop the car.

Quote:
Do you know someone who does?
A lot.

It's more pissing when they're the one who act as if its some other's people's fault if they get into an accident...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 08:38   Link #5
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

using cell phone is distracting while just even walking let alone driving
Old 2012-08-03, 08:42   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Not only have I never texted while driving, I hardly use the phone when driving. When I get a phone call while driving, I'll check to see who it is, and if it is someone expecting me somewhere, I might pick up, but when I pick up the phone while driving, I end up cutting it very short, talking a bit to rely some info, and then saying "I have to go/I should go, I'm driving right now" and then people just let the phone convo end. And I hardly ever talk on the phone while driving, like I said.
Old 2012-08-03, 08:49   Link #7
james0246

This is why Bluetooth was invented. Nine times out of ten I don't even touch my cell in a car beyond plugging and unplugging it (when I enter and exit the vehicle), yet I can still make as many phone calls as I want (etc). Hell, they've even invented hands free texting (which is really just making phone calls, but sending the message as a 'text' (which entirely defeats the purpose of texting or talking on a phone, but whatever...)).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 08:59   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

One thing that really bugs me about texting while driving, other than the biggest reasons such as the safety reasons, is that people can simply wait to communicate to the people that are contacting them. A lot of people nowadays are addicted to instantly communicating via texting and facebook status updates and tweeting and so forth. A lot of Americans these days don't have patience and just want results to happen right away. It happens with me, too, although I try to remind myself that things will take time sometimes. Yesterday I couldn't get online with my computer and I was working the issue. I wanted online back yesterday, but wasn't solving the issue, so I just thought to myself "Okay, it might be a day or two or more until I solve the issue and that is just how it'll be". However, luckily for me, I solved the issue yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
The worst I've seen is a combo of texting/talking on the phone, while doing something else. While driving. Smoking/doing make-up while talking on the phone seems to be a favorite. Whenever I see one of those, I wish they get a date with a lamppost.
I once heard a guy on the radio talking about how he was once driving fast down a highway, texting in one hand and holding a cigarette he was smoking in the other hand and he was steering with the palms of his hands. What a fool.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-08-03 at 14:23.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 09:12   Link #9
Rahan

Texting while driving is thankfully forbidden in France ...

the law basically says it is illegal to do anything that makes you lose your focus on driving. (drinking, eating, texting, phoning whithout a device freeing your hands or whatever). Of course, it doesn't prevent people to do it, but they try to hide it from the cops who must not see you with something in hands.

This is a "don't be retarded" law, but then, if you are not focused, you are not a threat for only yourself, you are a threat for everyone. It's not a matter of personal freedom.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 09:37   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Incoming call... there's this wonderful tech called "voicemail".
Texting... here, let me jam your phone up your ass - ever heard of voice-to-text and text readers?

Urzu 7's protocol is about the best compromise of safety - at least no worse than playing with the stereo system or those "who the fuck thought those were a good idea?" touch screen center consoles.

People are stupid... amazingly stupid. They can't multi-task and don't understand how many feet per second they're moving - takes a second to glance at a text? You've just moved 88 feet. Average panic braking distance for a car at that speed? 140 feet not including reaction time distance.

Its why we (Americans at least) *need* a complete integrated mass transit system - to get these incompetent idiots off the road so they can spend their time texting/babbling (what is so fucking important to be said?) and walk in front of trains, into poles, or drop into open pits.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:05   Link #11
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Something really dangerous.

Quote:
Do you ever do it?
No.

Quote:
Do you know someone who does?
My uncle who lives near our house.
Which is why I prefer not to ride in his car.

Quote:
What do you think of people texting when they really should be paying attention to something at hand? Share your thoughts in this thread
Maybe they have a lot of confidence in their driving skills? A person not aware of the dangers doing such a thing? I could go on.
Simply hoping there would be fewer people like them.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 10:15   Link #12
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:

It is an irresponsible act that cannot be excused, no matter what the reason might be. Lives could have been lost because of those few seconds that drivers neglect. My cousin died 7 years ago because the driver in front of him suddenly swerved off the road whilst texting and my cousin, who did not expect that slammed onto him. That bastard escaped unscathed, because my cousin's car did not hit the front part of the car. My friends do that sometimes, and I never fail to give them a piece of my mind. I don't care if people think that there should be some exception or "good excuses" but we are talking about lives here. It cannot be compared to those damn texts.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 10:23   Link #13
Azuma Denton
~AD~

In Indonesia, it is worse...
People are chatting on Blackberry Messenger or Whatsapp while driving...

And yesh, i dont like it cause it is really dangerous.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 11:16   Link #14
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

My friend and I almost got knocked down by a driver who was talking and his phone and driving at the same time. We gave him the finger and just walked off when he rolled down the windscreen to shout at us.

There should be a no-bail, no-fine jail term for these people. The importance of a phone call is hardly worth the price of a human life. Either that or the Right of Self-Defence be extended to dragging that asshole or bitch out of the car and have his face rammed against the windscreen until it bleeds.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:25   Link #15
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

i havent text before on my cell phone and probably not ever.

there are also people texting while they are riding their bicycle! so annoying.
especially when they're not watching what's in front. -_____-;
Old 2012-08-03, 13:39   Link #16
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

It should be banned everywhere.

I didn't want to do it, I hate having to lecture people...because my friend should have known better. She barely avoided a accident because of texting.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:51   Link #17
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
My friend and I almost got knocked down by a driver who was talking and his phone and driving at the same time. We gave him the finger and just walked off when he rolled down the windscreen to shout at us.

There should be a no-bail, no-fine jail term for these people. The importance of a phone call is hardly worth the price of a human life. Either that or the Right of Self-Defence be extended to dragging that asshole or bitch out of the car and have his face rammed against the windscreen until it bleeds.
I've had that same situation happen to me as well. Only difference was they were texting instead of talking on their phone.

I don't text at all on my phone. (personally don't see the point / don't like reading off a phone) When i'm driving my phone is always off.

Quote:

1. It's extremely stupid / dangerous but that's obvious enough.
2. Nope
3. I do know a few, but see a heck lot of people do it if I'm out for a walk or something...
4. I honestly can't help but think what idiots they are for taking the time to look at the texts they get. All texting is pretty much pointless imo.
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 14:01   Link #18
Rizare

Honestly, I don't understand why people are doing anything else while driving, let alone texting. It's just really dangerous. This reminds me of this video from Belgium which is proving how dangerous it really is.

Spoiler for Belgium video:
Rizare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 14:20   Link #19
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

True, I don't know how anyone does anything else while driving, either. Maybe I shouldn't say that, but I don't understand how people make a habit out of it. I've eaten while driving very few times in my life. It isn't so bad if what you have is easy to eat with one hand (like once I had a bagel, cut in two and it was sandwiching cream cheese). I don't even know if I've eaten while driving at least five times in my life.

I've drank non-alcoholic beverages while driving before, but that is pretty much like fiddling with the stereo knobs or A/C and heating knobs. No big deal and just about everyone does those behind the wheel. The only other thing I'll do while driving is pick up the iPod and put on something else after a song or album stopped playing. I don't look around and be indecisive though, I'd rather just pick something quick so that I can go back to totally focusing on driving. I don't usually drive around with my iPod, either. My point is, I'm not really in the habit of multitasking while driving. Texting has proven to be different than the things I mentioned, as well. It has become very apparent to us that texting while driving is dangerous and often enough it leads to accidents and tragedies.
Old 2012-08-03, 14:27   Link #20
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I've drank non-alcoholic beverages while driving before, but that is pretty much like fiddling with the stereo knobs or A/C and heating knobs. No big deal and just about everyone does those behind the wheel. The only other thing I'll do while driving is pick up the iPod and put on something else after a song or album stopped playing. I don't look around and be indecisive though, I'd rather just pick something quick so that I can go back to totally focusing on driving. I don't usually drive around with my iPod, either. My point is, I'm not really in the habit of multitasking while driving. Texting has proven to be different than the things I mentioned, as well. It has become very apparent to us that texting while driving is dangerous and often enough it leads to accidents and tragedies.
I think I can forgive eating and drinking (no alcohol please, obviously) while driving because of how fast paced society has become, and we all know where our mouth is; it is as simple as biting down and chewing.

Texting and handling a text message requires more than just simple motor skills - it is also requires extra thought processes that divert attention and resources to another part of the brain. Some people apparently think all they need is the brake and they can use their gear-arm for the phone.

Until we get neural links to our brain for the car, scratch the phone. At least the onboard computer can't compute language processes and will automatically shut down the car.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote