AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-06-27, 18:13   Link #4141
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or it was Haruhi's idea...much like the kimonos in Endless Eight. Also Yuki needed to change to a swimsuit for the beach.
Perhaps that, too.
Jonbob0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 02:56   Link #4142
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Really? I can give you 3, all of which took less than a minute to come up with.

Yuki could start dressing normally outside of school, and even start clothes shopping. This would be evidence that Yuki is starting to care about how she looks. Kyon would notice this during one of the Brigade's "City-wide Searches." This is plausible given that Yuki has already started sprucing up her own home a little bit.

Or one time during a City-wide Search, Yuki decided to skip the library and go do something more stimulating, liking going to the arcade (cue the Haruhi-chan version of Yuki). Again, Kyon could witness this while being paired up with her.

Or Yuki could realize that after years of reading hundreds of novels that she wants to write her own novel (perhaps the events of Editor inspired her to become a writer). Kyon could discover this in one of two ways: Either he spots her using the laptop during club time, or he is approached by Yuki later so he could read the novel and tell her what he thinks.

All three of these are relatively simple examples of possible character development that don't require Kyon to be anything more than a friend, nor do they require him to be a stalker to find out about them. And I came up with these off the top of my head. I'm sure Tanigawa could do better with months of brainstorming.

Her personality doesn't have to alter drastically for it to count. Small changes over the course of several novels can add up.
Well yeah, but these aren't things that would inspire Tanigawa to make her the centerpoint of a story, like her Tanigawa's love for her character has done many, many times in the past. Haruhi on the other hand...
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 10:47   Link #4143
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
Well yeah, but these aren't things that would inspire Tanigawa to make her the centerpoint of a story, like her Tanigawa's love for her character has done many, many times in the past. Haruhi on the other hand...
Never said they would be. I just making the point that there is still plenty of room for character development for Yuki, even if she's no longer in the running for Kyon's heart.
Old 2011-06-29, 23:04   Link #4144
Ypocaramel

None of the charatcters threads have really been resolved yet.

Yuki: her gradual acquiring of humanity and her conflict with the IDTSE
Mikhuru: her evolution into adult Asahina-san (process begun) and the plot thread with Fujiwara
Kozumi: don't see that much development here, but we haven't seen any situations that involve put SOS-dan and the organization at odds.

Kyon, Haruhi: Haruhi's powers, John Smith (used once in disappearance but still active in the prime world)
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 17:49   Link #4145
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
None of the charatcters threads have really been resolved yet.

Yuki: her gradual acquiring of humanity and her conflict with the IDTSE
Mikhuru: her evolution into adult Asahina-san (process begun) and the plot thread with Fujiwara
Kozumi: don't see that much development here, but we haven't seen any situations that involve put SOS-dan and the organization at odds.

Kyon, Haruhi: Haruhi's powers, John Smith (used once in disappearance but still active in the prime world)
Well stated!
Old 2011-07-06, 10:44   Link #4146
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya (First/Final) will be receiving an e-book edition from Kadokawa's BOOKWALKER program on the 21st.

On the Haruhi Negai website, there is a message from Tanigawa and an illustration from Itou. It's just their wishes added to the site for today only.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 11:13   Link #4147
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

All those wishes for nothing? I hope there's actual news later.

Edit: The website looks beautiful. I want a gif of that and post it all over tumblr.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 12:51   Link #4148
VentAileron

No, actually, they're going to hang our wishes during Sendai's Tanabata festival.

I do hope they make a selection, instead of printing "Haruhi is my waifu" 15498 - 1 times.
Old 2011-07-06, 14:50   Link #4149
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

I posted "I want my name to live on forever in history" (I only realized a beat later that I should have wished for a 3rd Haruhi season)

....but I wanted more than just hanging up our wishes.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 15:54   Link #4150
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I may be jumping the gun here, but...

Are we really going to go through this AGAIN? Endless insane marketing tactics, never telling the fans ANYTHING of worth, and then releasing the most disappointing content possible that seems deliberately designed to kill the series?

If this is all there is, I... I have no way of truly expressing how angry it makes me. God damn it.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 16:07   Link #4151
VentAileron

Hey hey, calm down. Disappointment entirely depends on your own expectations. I wonder why you would be so angry if you already knew what their 'endless marketing tactics' means in practice; you shouldn't have expected anything else.

Besides, life isn't as interesting without things to look forward to. Think about it. If they dumped everything related to Haruhi (all the novels, all short stories animated) on one day, would the series have become what it is now? It would've been all over in an instant and the series would be completely forgotten a few months later.

During the three year hiatus of the novels, the series has been kept alive by the anime and the movie. Now Surprise comes along and we're all still here, Four years down the road, if you count from when the anime aired (when the series' popularity really took off) or 7 years if you count from when the first novel was published and the popularity of the series still hasn't diminished. I find that quite impressive for a series that doesn't air a single episode full of fillers every week.
Old 2011-07-06, 16:20   Link #4152
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I wonder why you would be so angry if you already knew what their 'endless marketing tactics' means in practice; you shouldn't have expected anything else.
They only do this with Haruhi. Other franchises don't dance around announcements of new content like this; I just think it's annoying and unfair to the immense, dedicated fanbase.

If I knew all the hype was actually going to have a reward at the end of it, I'd be more enthused, but the last time I gave into said hype I got the same episode eight times for two months.

Quote:
During the three year hiatus of the novels, the series has been kept alive by the anime and the movie.
I think you were around at the time, but... Endless Eight pretty much killed all activity in this subforum during its airing. It's never really recovered.

That, more than anything, is why I don't like what Kadokawa is doing now.

Again, like I said, I'm probably jumping the gun here, as it's still early. I'm just bracing for disappointment.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2011-07-06 at 16:31.
Old 2011-07-06, 23:56   Link #4153
VentAileron

If Haruhi is only series who gets this 'endless marketing tactics', doesn't that make the series special? That's the reason I laughed when Endless Eight started to iterate into the ridiculous. I don't remember being here on AnimeSuki though, I was too busy having fun during summer, just like the folks who did summer 15498 times. Every time I imagined the anger raging over the internet by it, I could only laugh.

Technically, there has never been a season 2. 2009's run was only called a re-airing. It was obviously meant to be a big stunt. Just look at the airing dates of each episode; give or take 2 weeks, the time of the events in the episode coincides with the airing time, with the exception of the first few episodes of Endless Eight. The original run wasn't much less of a stunt with the messed up chronology.

You probably know better than I do that the popularity of the series took a big hit there. It's arguable if it was the for the better or worse. Bamboo Leaf Rhasody and the first iteration of Endless Eight airing before the rest might have been the cause why you noticed the sudden drop of activity; because the discussion was at a peak.

Ah sorry for rambling on for this long, off-topic even. I'll stop after this comment.

Kadokawa has its own reasons for running things. Killing the series is the last thing they want to do. Although I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, what I do get is a unique experience with something that should have been merely another show. A google translate of the following tweet from Kadokawa just before the Haruhi-negai announcement caught my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @KDS_PR
"HARUHI NEGAI"のサイト、今晩24時以降にぜひアクセスしてくださいね。いろんな情報が交わされていますけれ ど、どれも違って、どれもあってる。もっと大きな気持ちをあつめて、何かにつなげていきたい。そんなことの ささやかな始まりになるといいな、と思っています☆

"HARUHI NEGAI" sites, please visit us later I midnight tonight. Although many have been exchanged information, unlike any, I'll none. Collect the larger feeling, I would like lead to something. I hope it becomes such a modest beginning, ☆ We think
Maybe I'm just too much into the series. Haha. Haruhi-negai was meant to help people of Japan to mentally recover from the earthquake than anything.

Last edited by VentAileron; 2011-07-07 at 01:50. Reason: Really stupid typo. That's what you get for posting at 6 AM
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 01:45   Link #4154
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Hey hey, calm down. Disappointment entirely depends on your own expectations. I wonder why you would be so angry if you already knew what their 'endless marketing tactics' means in practice; you shouldn't have expected anything else.

Besides, life isn't as interesting without things to look forward to. Think about it. If they dumped everything related to Haruhi (all the novels, all short stories animated) on one day, would the series have become what it is now? It would've been all over in an instant and the series would be completely forgotten a few months later.

During the three year hiatus of the novels, the series has been kept alive by the anime and the movie. Now Surprise comes along and we're all still here, Four years down the road, if you count from when the anime aired (when the series' popularity really took off) or 7 years if you count from when the first novel was published and the popularity of the series still hasn't diminished. I find that quite impressive for a series that doesn't air a single episode full of fillers every week.
Yes, it is true that disappoitment is a result of our own expectations and perhaps this was just going to be a way for Kadokawa to give back using Haruhi. However, when you set up a big buildup with having us wait a month to hear about it becoming available as an e-book and that some of the wishes people posted on the website will be hung for Sendai's Tanabata, it just feels that it wasn't worth waiting a month to hear it.

I actually agree with you that the waiting has certainly made us think of the franchise more, and it can be fun to highly anticipate something once you have something substantial to actually wait around for. I suppose that is it more than anything. We'd like to know for sure that there will be a new season and I don't think we'd mind waiting a while for it as long as we know that we are getting something rather than buildup that produces nothing. I don't actually mind following a thread, but Kadokawa hasn't even given us that yet.

Yes, it is impressive that there is still a lot of interest in the series with the period of time between them releasing material. You'd think they'd want to reward our loyalty or at least strike while the iron is still hot. I still have hope for seeing something new for next year, and so I will just wait for Kadokawa to tease us more when they feel like it. I hate the teasing, but at the same time, it makes every all the more thrilling when we finally get something.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 08:19   Link #4155
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

I think you were around at the time, but... Endless Eight pretty much killed all activity in this subforum during its airing. It's never really recovered.
Are we all still raging about E8? Didn't, Disappearance wash away all the bad blood? Or are you the same poster that was also ripping on Disappearance even though you couldn't wait and watched the LQ cam-rip version?

What's the big deal with waiting for the next novel/anime/movie... it'll be here when it's ready. Hell, at least Tanigawa is still alive (knock-on-wood)... there are other fandoms who aren't so lucky you know...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 08:45   Link #4156
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would think in terms of the Japanese fandom, a prayer from god to the gods would have a deeper meaning, especially after that earthquake. To those of us outside Japan, it would not mean as much, but to those directly effected?
Old 2011-07-07, 09:51   Link #4157
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Are we all still raging about E8? Didn't Disappearance wash away all the bad blood?
If someone takes a dump on your kitchen table, it doesn't matter if they serve you up a seven-course meal afterwards. You're still going to hang on to some resentment.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:14   Link #4158
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
If someone takes a dump on your kitchen table, it doesn't matter if they serve you up a seven-course meal afterwards. You're still going to hang on to some resentment.
I suppose that may be the viewpoint of some fans, but in the grand scheme of things, Endless Eight was not that bad. Yes, you got 7 extra filler episodes, but we can all name other popular series(one with highly visible ninjas) that have longer, and more absurd amount of filler. And look at this way, if E8 is the worst of Haruhi, things can only get better. I think we'll all forget or laugh about this in five years or so.

Anyway, getting back to topic, Ithekro has a good point that I didn't consider. Hopefully, people can find healing through what Kadokawa is planning on doing in Sendai.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 17:12   Link #4159
Solachinx
is a myth

Though, since Tanabata was more significant regarding the events of Bamboo Leaf and Disappearance (and since those have already come to pass) wouldn't it be more likely for similar viral marketing strategies to occur around dates significant to Snow Mountain and Intrigue?
Old 2011-07-07, 17:41   Link #4160
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Though, since Tanabata was more significant regarding the events of Bamboo Leaf and Disappearance (and since those have already come to pass) wouldn't it be more likely for similar viral marketing strategies to occur around dates significant to Snow Mountain and Intrigue?
So, what, next winter?

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga