AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-09-30, 19:46   Link #121
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It's GHD call if he wants to keep it or not, not ours.
It'd still be a neater way of keeping track of people's input, which I'm sure GHD will consider when making the final decision. Unless our opinions don't matter, in which case there's absolutely no reason to have this thread.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 23:25   Link #122
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
It'd still be a neater way of keeping track of people's input, which I'm sure GHD will consider when making the final decision. Unless our opinions don't matter, in which case there's absolutely no reason to have this thread.
I don't think it's a matter of listening to feedback or not, but I think a poll doesn't really help in this case. I mean, if it doesn't cost you anything either way, why would you vote to stop having the site updated? At worst you could say "I don't care either way", and those people (the apathetic majority?) probably won't visit this thread to start with. I think what was more valuable was seeing the sort of people who spoke up, where they're coming from, and what their main reasons for liking the site are. So in that sense, I think the feedback was already received (and is continuing to be received) even without a poll. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though.
Old 2011-10-01, 02:22   Link #123
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Optimally I would like to see Animesuki expand out beyond just unlicensed series. US Licensing seems the only one being taken into account and there are more visitors to ASuki than just those in US.
That doesn't really work well with a site like AnimeSuki. The way the site is organized doesn't just make it easier for downloaders to find what they want, but for copyright holders as well. So we are guaranteed to get DMCA requests and unless we go the TPB route, we have no choice but to comply with them. Even while the torrent index is not hosted in the the US, it doesn't mean that any non-US host will simply ignore and laugh at DMCA requests - so even if we ignore them our host probably won't (and shut us down eventually).

I'm not sure if (and how many) DMCA requests sites like TT or NyaaTorrents receive, but the design of these sites makes it harder to find all "offending" content and even if a copyright holder asks them to take down a bunch of torrents then users could easily re-upload them again. Also the fact that these sites feature user-submitted content means they're slightly less likely to get into serious legal trouble than a manually maintained index like AnimeSuki (even if some part is automated, the first few episodes of any series need to be added manually for the scripts to be able to automate adding of the rest).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 04:01   Link #124
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
That doesn't really work well with a site like AnimeSuki. The way the site is organized doesn't just make it easier for downloaders to find what they want, but for copyright holders as well. So we are guaranteed to get DMCA requests and unless we go the TPB route, we have no choice but to comply with them. Even while the torrent index is not hosted in the the US, it doesn't mean that any non-US host will simply ignore and laugh at DMCA requests - so even if we ignore them our host probably won't (and shut us down eventually).

I'm not sure if (and how many) DMCA requests sites like TT or NyaaTorrents receive, but the design of these sites makes it harder to find all "offending" content and even if a copyright holder asks them to take down a bunch of torrents then users could easily re-upload them again. Also the fact that these sites feature user-submitted content means they're slightly less likely to get into serious legal trouble than a manually maintained index like AnimeSuki (even if some part is automated, the first few episodes of any series need to be added manually for the scripts to be able to automate adding of the rest).
Why don't you autofilter the torrent lists based on geo-detection?

That shouldn't be so hard to implement.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 01:58   Link #125
Cyrogen

I've been using animesuki for many years, and I also agree that it's usefulness has diminished quite a bit, though I'd still like to see it stay, and perhaps evolve somehow.

The idea of listing streams seems like a good one. I think there are a number of different places that have them, but I don't know if there is a central listing keeping track of them all.

I'd mix links to streams in with the current torrent listing:

SeriesA ep 22 - torrent link
SeriesB ep 5 - torrent link
SeriesC ep 1 - stream site link
SeriesD ep 16 - torrent link

This should vastly open up the amount of current series that can possibly be listed on animesuki.

Most of the items on the main page are links to pages on sites like Nyaa where you can grab the torrents, if it is a link to a site with a torrent or a link to a site with a stream shouldn't really be any different. You just might want to add a little stream icon next to the stream links.

Also, alot of the people in this thread are mainly here for the forum. People come and go from everything, and all the replacement members for the forum that keep the numbers up are probably coming in after being interested in the main site. Without an updated main site the forum would start becoming a forgotten back allyway of the internet.
Cyrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 16:43   Link #126
Dthehalfdragon
Inactive Member

Hey Its been awhile to since I posted anything here but I would like to give a suggestion on site. I hope you would keep the site as it is, it is nice that there are groups subbing the hard to find series. As for the sites that legally has streaming rights I think that animesuki could have a page that would list the season anime that they are playing with the link to the main page of said site. I would give an exmple here,

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Squid Girl Season 2
Hunter x Hunter
You and Me
Chihayafuru
Fate/Zero
Wagnaria!! Season 2
Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi Season 2
Majikoi~Oh! Samurai Girls
Bleach
Naruto Shippuden
Sket Dance
Cardfight Vanguard
Moritasan wa Mukuchi

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/
Persona 4: The Animation
ect

I would think that using this style to list streaming anime would be easy and quick to type out on a page. Not only that but it would give us a chance to look through that sites anime library.
Dthehalfdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 17:57   Link #127
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I would say that it would be very nice to have an easy to find link to legal streams of anime.

I know there are several shows on hulu and so forth, but I always have to search for them myself.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 11:15   Link #128
Dextro
He Without a Title

I came to this thread thinking: Yeah, bag it. It's had it's run, it was good but it's time has past and these forums are now the true lifeblood of AnimeSuki.

But then I saw some of the posts and people bring up good points: Either nostalgia, the odd series that doesn't get licensed or the older shows that might be forgotten are still there and deserve at least some recognition. While I personally feel the aforementioned BakaBT covers that well I wouldn't blame those that rather have AnimeSuki stay up for their sake.

However there's one idea that came to mind (and sorry if it was already mentioned): with so many people on these forums that enjoy writing and reviewing their favourite shows and with stuff like the animesuki awards showing up from time to time amongst other interesting tidbits of information spread around these pages wouldn't it be interesting to do something like the paradox forums frontpage where volunteer members contribute interesting content to build a blog-like face to animesuki?
Old 2011-11-01, 12:13   Link #129
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is this thread still relevant?
Old 2011-11-01, 12:17   Link #130
Jaden

I find the index just a relic from the golden age of fansubs.

If it could somehow be modernized without breaking the law too much, go for it.

Would do well for the forums too if the site was connected to the scene like that.
Old 2011-11-02, 00:17   Link #131
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

tbh I have not used the indexing of AS since years ago when AS decided to not list anything that is licensed. I have always just gotten my torrents from more "shady" sites/just watch them online via stream.

It would be nice if AS becomes a portal for quicker access to various "legal" stream - atm they are scattered all over the place. Forming various alliances with other sites will supply AS with new traffic.

The bright side is that AS is now strong enough to stand on its own as a forum and community portal without the need of the index.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:31   Link #132
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Is this thread still relevant?
I'll take the silence as a "yes, we haven't reached a decision".

One way to solve the problem is to just leave it as-is and improve separately. Yes I'm talking about the social/technological gap and not the question of ending it in particular.

For example let's take google and yahoo. Both have video services but in the case of yahoo you have it on the same site cluttered with the rest of the junk while google has specialized sister sites, leaving their original search service as-is.

Many sites including yourself do this sister-site approach already, albeit most not intentionally. So in the case of animesuki you have:
www.animesuki.com
forums.animesuki.com
Now, in your case I'm pretty sure you just did it unintentionally because if it was intentional it wouldn't be "www" (www is usually used for standalone sites to distinguish servers, in case you had say a ftp server, ie. ftp.animesuki.com), instead it would be something like "torrents" (with www being a redirect, because hey why not avoid duplication of content issue on search engines?).

But anyway, since it kind of looks like it why not just go with it? So now instead of asking yourself how to fix this old clunker, which I'm sure is a task you're just as exited for as fixing an 18 century broken watch, you can bypass the problem altogether by treating animesuki as a community instead of "the torrent index" (makes more sense too, since it's not animetorrentsuki.com after all ^^;;). So instead of www.animesuki.com you got torrents.animesuki.com and now with all these new frontiers opening up you can just add them as independent entities to the community. So streams.animesuki.com or to use Dextro's blog idea (which I kind of hate tbh, lol) news.animesuki.com, and just leave the current torrent index as-is.

Alternatively if you want it to sound more fresh you could just do a name variation instead of the subdomain variation. So you could have streamsuki.com ("stream love") or to keep with the randomness animetsuki.com ("animation moon" I think... should have roughly the same pronunciation for silly westerners like me though). Probably not the best examples since both seem to be used but you get the idea: if you can't fix it, create a new beginning.

This somewhat simplifies the problem since it separates the concerns, and to some extent answers real question at hand: "is the torrent index what animesuki is all about?" (in the absence of this question there would be no "time to end it" since there would be no "end" nor a reason for shutting down a functioning system)
Old 2011-11-02, 17:39   Link #133
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, there may be some merit to that proposal. If AnimeSuki's torrent index were going to transition to more of an "archive", then it might make sense for that to be something like "archives.animesuki.com" or whatever, with the "www" pointing to the active part of the site, the Forums. As you say, this shifts the focus slightly with the torrent archives being a subset of the forums rather than the other way around. Based on actual use and activity, this may make sense no matter what changes are in store. But of course, the decision rests primarily with GHDpro.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:30   Link #134
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

"the Forums"? No, when I said shifting the meaning of "animesuki" towards "community" I didn't mean that to say "the forums". What I meant was it representing ideals, standards, goals, etc (be it 3 or 3 mil people involved, it shouldn't matter). To put them into more concrete words I guess that would be "(legal) access to otherwise unknown/unaccessible animation-related content (to ALL)". Yesterday the implementation of those standards and ideals was torrents (of unlicensed shows), forums, irc. Tomorrow it could be streams, blogs, social networks, etc.

"Archive" kind of goes against what I meant since "archive" implies the new and old are essentially the same implementation; I'm not saying "torrrent" would become obsolete just become the "older alternative"—which kind of rings true to the current state of things with things like (legal) streams becoming very accessible (to people in the US at least ). The "new" wouldn't force its way into the "old", and the "old" wouldn't go away, or need to make room, for the new. There's no "how do we improve" since the old wouldn't change, so the transition is a lot simpler and smoother.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:46   Link #135
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
"the Forums"? No, when I said shifting the meaning of "animesuki" towards "community" I didn't mean that to say "the forums".
At this time, the primary embodiment of the AnimeSuki community is the Forums. I suppose other things are possible, but haven't really been on the table. I don't know that the site's primary (effective) mandate is to connect people with access to unlicensed anime anymore.

Quote:
"Archive" kind of goes against what I meant since "archive" implies the new and old are essentially the same implementation
Not "archive" (like old site vs. new) but "archives" -- as in "The Archives": a repository of archived anime series torrents as was discussed previously in this thread. Perhaps there is a better word for it.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-11-03 at 16:24. Reason: fixed poor phrasing
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 15:29   Link #136
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I used to visit the torrent index multiple times per day. I think I even had it as my browser homepage at some point. My anime-watching habits have changed (and are practically non-existent), and I don't use it often now.

However, every now and then I'll get the desire to check out a new-to-me series that was big in recent years (maybe 1-3 years old), and the AnimeSuki torrent index is my way of finding them and downloading them. It's infrequent usage, but I appreciate that it's there. If it's a lot of effort to maintain it then I'd understand the desire to archive it as-is, and I'd probably find alternatives... but I like having it.
Old 2011-11-08, 10:49   Link #137
Xenio
Flower

how about have both torrents and myanimelist things like information, list, review? torrent will only available for unlicensed anime, licensed one will have some thing like "sorry, this anime already licensed" in the torrent section
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 15:52   Link #138
Nessaja
rawr

Isn't anidb enough for your reviews/ratings/similarities?

And let's not forget scarywater and or B^U. Also Fluffy has a point. I mean just look at isohunt or TPB, same story there~
Nessaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 05:16   Link #139
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
The www page could be turned into Slashdot style but for anime, and with content being evaluated by a moderating group. On the side, there could be a scheduler that lists currently broadcasting and upcoming series that links to the respective legal streams similar to the Calendar panel on TeamLiquid. I'm not sure if these things have been suggested already, just wanted to quickly give my input.