Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

Keroro gang says 'Ganbare Nihon!'
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 07:22   Link #1062
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
i wonna know if we were hit by something like this, lets say, California or florida was hit by the same thing and many people died and our nucealar power plant was damaged... would anyone help us?
We might disagree with your government, but that doesn't mean we would point at you and laugh when people die.

There will always be your usual "divine retribution" nutcases. But that's almost par for the course. I am not sure there was ever a major disaster that haven't been linked with some divine wrath by some crazies.

But of course, outside help is only ever small compared to what your own government has to do. Nevermind what your population had to get through.
Old 2011-03-15, 07:25   Link #1063
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Someone said on some yahoo thread that this is their fault for all the disgusting shows and stuff japan has.. i just /facepalmed and gave him a thumbs down. there was already enough people flaming him
Old 2011-03-15, 07:32   Link #1064
bayoab

All from Reuters twitter:
Quote:
FLASH: Japan reactor operator: May pour water through holes in no.4 reactor building into spent fuel pool

FLASH: Radiation too high for normal work at control room of No.4 reactor of Fukushima Daiichi plant - Kyodo

FLASH: French nuclear agency (ASN) says Fukushima nuclear accident is level 6 on INES scale - Kyodo

FLASH: Japan nuclear safety agency: Two 8-metre holes in wall of Fukushima No.4 outer building after blast

Last edited by bayoab; 2011-03-15 at 07:46.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 07:40   Link #1065
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's why I say it is "technically" true.

Economic boasts from massive spending has always been only sustainable in the short term. Technically Japan had never stopped doing this, but it didn't work. Not even all the bridges that went nowhere helped.

Now, instead of constructing useless buildings, Japan will be constructing essential buildings instead. But the result is the same; you spend a lot of borrowed money, you get a boost, but then the debt came back. I certainly don't think the disaster "helped" Japan in any way. But for the short term, the survivors would have no trouble finding work.
You may have notice but lots a cars were washed away as well as houses and boats.
Housing also includes furniture and clothing but before we start rebuilding we need to clear out, needing various earth moving machinery and concrete ALOT of it.
There is also the fact that since a lot of households that were not effected by the earthquake and tsunami is enduring power shortage meaning they have nothing to do. I believe there was a spike in newly borne in Haiti after the earthquake hit them so you can expect that to happen in the Eastern Japan as well.
I predict a miniature baby boom around the end of the year this year and when that happens there will be in need of various nursing items, baby clothing and disposable diapers.
If I had the money now I would buy stocks of companies that make those water adsorbing polymers.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 07:48   Link #1066
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
From what I'm gathering from fark, the state of 4 was actually "Idle", not "Shut down" since it still had spent fuel in it. (Link)
they don't remove fuel when doing maintainance or were they down for some other reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Simple answer; it takes years to build new powerplants, so if they just abandon these reactors Japan would be stuck with rolling black outs for the entire duration.

Would you like to be stuck with rationed electricity for two years? I think not. The plants are not for decoration; they are important part of the infrastructure. You don't want to lose what you don't need to.
I'm pretty sure that Fukushima Units 7 and 8 will be coming online next year. Even then, thats a long time for rationed electricty
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 07:59   Link #1067
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oh no! It's keep getting worse..... hope they will prepare for the worst condition.....
I can't keep following the update since there are too many confusing news and hoax lately
maybe some seiyuu or mangaka can stay in my house for a while.... XD
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:00   Link #1068
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Tokyo is detecting radiation levels up to 20 times above normal. Authorities are stressing that this level poses no biological danger.

Ishihara has formally retracted and apologized for his earlier "divine punishment" remark.
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/politics/ne...3400001-n1.htm
I've like to think that the radiation is coming for him personally since the "divine punishment" clearly did not work: his still around.

Anyway, rage aside, my best of wishes for those helping in the relieve, it's in time of crisis that the true character of people come out, and the Japanese are showing the world what their made of.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:09   Link #1069
Tri-ring

Although I am in no way defending Ishihara about the Divine comment he is right about the petty bickering between parties and took a catastrophe of this magnitude for them to talk in a civilized manner instead of constantly nitpicking each other's comments and to focus on the problem at hand.

I wonder what it would take to have the democrats and republicans of the US come into terms like this?
Old 2011-03-15, 08:12   Link #1070
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The situation has gotten to a point where I thought it would never reach. At first I was really confident in Japan's preparedness for this. I thought the death count wouldn't even hit one thousand but now it has surpassed Katrina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Although I am in no way defending Ishihara about the Divine comment he is right about the petty bickering between parties and took a catastrophe of this magnitude for them to talk in a civilized manner instead of constantly nitpicking each other's comments and to focus on the problem at hand.

I wonder what it would take to have the democrats and republicans of the US come into terms like this?
9/11 sorta kinda did.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:18   Link #1071
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Tokyo is detecting radiation levels up to 20 times above normal. Authorities are stressing that this level poses no biological danger.
I hope the radiation problem doesn't get much worse.
They already have enough problems to deal with.

Reading the newspaper today, the front page is a man who got exposed to radiation and being sent to the hospital (for being exposed).

Quote:
Ishihara has formally retracted and apologized for his earlier "divine punishment" remark.
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/politics/ne...3400001-n1.htm
I was speechless yesterday when I saw him make the speech about Divine Punishment for greed, when so many of his fellow japanese are clearly suffering. He deserves to be clubbed by a cannibal..
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:23   Link #1072
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I hope the radiation problem doesn't get much worse.
They already have enough problems to deal with.

Reading the newspaper today, the front page is a man who got exposed to radiation and being sent to the hospital (for being exposed).

I was speechless yesterday when I saw him make the speech about Divine Punishment for greed, when so many of his fellow japanese are clearly suffering. He deserves to be clubbed by a cannibal..
What worries me is if he gets a fourth term. The last thing Japan needs right now is an idiot poisoning them from within.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:28   Link #1073
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc.net.au
"This high level of radiation is just temporarily reading so in the long run it is not particularly dangerous and the reading is now getting lower," he said.

"We don't need to worry about this reading at the moment."

Mr Edano says the earlier high reading could have been caused by rubble from Monday's explosion at one reactor rather than from any continuing leak.

But he says cooling of the No. 5 and No. 6 reactors now appears not to be working properly, with slight rises in temperature recorded.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/3164827.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by english.kyodonews.jp
TEPCO unable to pour water into No. 4 reactor's storage pool for spent fuel

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/
Quote:
Originally Posted by english.kyodonews.jp
Foreign embassies in Tokyo are urging their citizens staying in Japan to get out of the country after the deadly earthquake and intensifying nuclear plant crisis in Fukushima Prefecture.
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78272.html
When shit goes south, it goes far south with TEPCO.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 08:35   Link #1074
Tri-ring

Well Japan experienced another earthquake in Yamanashi with shindo 6 near mount Fuji.
Don't tell me that is going to erupt tooo ! !
Old 2011-03-15, 08:37   Link #1075
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Well Japan experienced another earthquake in Yamanashi with shindo 6 near mount Fuji.
Oh man. If Fuji erupts too.....I don't even wanna think of what would happen.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:09   Link #1076
JokerD

Quote:
Ouch, it doesn't just rain, it chains Cat 5 hurricanes.

I wonder if the earthquakes in NZ, China and Japan are one large chain reaction. The pacific plate releasing tension build up in the past decade/century.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:12   Link #1077
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Oh man. If Fuji erupts too.....I don't even wanna think of what would happen.
Well Mt.Fuji has a frequency of 2~300 years and the last eruption was 1707 so she is due any moment now.
Look if mother nature is going to throw everything including the kitchen sink she might as well bring on Godzilla as well.
Old 2011-03-15, 09:21   Link #1078
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Well Mt.Fuji has a frequency of 2~300 years and the last eruption was 1707 so she is due any moment now.
Look if mother nature is going to throw everything including the kitchen sink she might as well bring on Godzilla as well.
Well, I hope you're all ready in case it really does happen then, tho it would be better if it didn't. Everyone there is already going through so much, both the people who were directly affected by the quake and the people who weren't but are fearful of more to come
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:22   Link #1079
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Buildings swayed, things rumbled, in Tokyo it was about a shindo 4.
At 22.30 (right when I was falling asleep), it was was i feared the most.

Earthquakes are bad enough in daylight, but at least we can see.
At night, when sleeping on your own, this shit pisses me off.
(As well as frightens the hell outta me)

(I've dealt with quakes at night before) but given what's going on lately, I do think my sanity is falling to pieces.

So many mates are all fleeing Japan from family pressure, I may actually skip outta Tokyo later over the week, just to the West (Osaka) or so, if things continue to deterioate.

More low levels of radiation are being discovered on a US base, naturally it's (hopefully) not critical, but the fact that it truly has spread all over Tokyo is frightening, nature is just well against us, I swear.
(Bitch could have blown that shit out to sea in the West, not down to Tokyo, dammit) ><;;;

Wonder if I can fall asleep now, the stress is somewhat beginning to hit...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:34   Link #1080
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I don't think these have been posted. But even if they have, it can't hurt to post them again.

=====

Some perspectives.

Of particular interest now is probably the "Let's Talk Nukes" section in this post.

Said post also links to what is probably the most detailed explanation of what's been going on at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

=====

These perspectives won't matter to the hundreds of thousands of people affected by this disaster - but hopefully everyone here will stop worrying needlessly (and thus be more productive, even if just by donating to those who need it).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami