AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-26, 17:20   Link #1
babybro

Recent Anime with a big sister/little brother?

Hi all, trying to get back into anime again. I was just wondering if there is any "recent" anime that has a good little brother, big sister relationship in it? I know most animes usually focuses on the opposite so a little brother/big sister anime is somewhat rare, but I was wondering if people would happen to know a few. But mostly ones that are recent. I've seen older ones like gilgamesh, mai hime and others. Oh and No incest please. (Gilgamesh surprised me so I just wanted to make sure I throw that out there. No incest.)
Old 2009-03-26, 18:31   Link #2
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

You know i've seen more than two hundreds anime and still i can't really recall many that show an elder sister younger brother relationship, it's usually the opposite.

In Gravion and Gravion Zwei the main character is looking for his bigger sister, however you won't "see" her untill the very end.

Mamotte Shugogetten is closer to what you look for. The main character has a big sister, and she has a somewhat relevant role in a few episodes but in the others she is completely absent.

Inu Yasha: one of the main characters (Sango) has a younger brother (Kohaku). The two have a very good relationship however due to certain circumstances they fight on opposite sides for the vast majority of the series. Kagome herself has a younger brother but he's practically irrelevant.

Dennou Coil: somehow could fit the criteria, the two characters aren't exactly siblings, they are respectively aunt and niece. However the aunt (Tamako) is still a high schooler and she's very close in age with her niece Ken'ichi, they have a very close relationship.

I know i haven't been really helpful but those are the closest things i could find.

Old 2009-03-26, 19:46   Link #3
mit7059

In PlanetES the main character has a little brother, but he plays a very small role in the show, only being in a couple of episodes.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-03-26, 22:33   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Dennou Coil: somehow could fit the criteria, the two characters aren't exactly siblings, they are respectively aunt and niece. However the aunt (Tamako) is still a high schooler and she's very close in age with her niece Ken'ichi, they have a very close relationship.
I thought of this relationship, too, but I believe you meant to call Ken-chan Tamako's nephew, no?

School Rumble's Harima Kenji has a similar relationship with his sexy aunt Itoko who is (naturally) also a physics teacher at his high school. He usually lives in Itoko's apartment as well. Ken-chan lives with his parents I believe, though it's not really made explicit.
Old 2009-03-27, 00:25   Link #5
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Gundam 00 season one has Kinue and Saji Crossroad as the big sis/little bro. They don't play any important roles in the show.
Old 2009-03-27, 00:32   Link #6
wao
OK.

WTF?? You guys mentioned Dennou Coil and forgot about the beautiful existence of Fumie and her younger brother Akira? The recap-ish episode is focused around him trying to document Fumie's injustices towards him

What about Please Save My Earth, that isn't exactly big sister/little brother but the two main characters have that age gap but you'd have to watch the show to find out why they're the main characters. I warn you though the ending is rather unsatisfactory as it only adapts a section of the manga (later events are only very briefly shown) - nevertheless it's a classic 90s OVA, one of Production I.G.'s earliest productions (nothing fantastic animation-wise IMO but still), and also it has one of the most awesome ED songs ever. I know it's not recent but watch it if you can anyway! Or something. And no it's not incest.

EDIT: Also check out Bounen no Xamdou, the plot really became a trainwreck near the end IMO but it's got very solid production and you might find the characters pretty interesting. The more sustained elder sister/younger brother relationship comes in the 2nd half of the show though. Eureka 7 may have counted if we actually saw very much of Renton's older sister 20th Century Boys has the mystery of Kenji and his older sister's strange disappearance but it's not really a huge factor in the show manga.
Maria-sama ga Miteru... I think in some of the later seasons (which I've never watched) Yumi's younger brother comes into the picture a little more.

EDIT2: I'll also toss in Seirei no Moribito which surely isn't that old but is worth a watch. The dynamics of Balsa and Chagum might be more like mother/son but I think it feels a little more like big sister/little brother to me...
Old 2009-03-27, 10:33   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought of this relationship, too, but I believe you meant to call Ken-chan Tamako's nephew, no?
errr yes lol... newphew ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
WTF?? You guys mentioned Dennou Coil and forgot about the beautiful existence of Fumie and her younger brother Akira? The recap-ish episode is focused around him trying to document Fumie's injustices towards him

[...]

20th Century Boys has the mystery of Kenji and his older sister's strange disappearance but it's not really a huge factor in the show manga.
I admit i haven't thought about Fumie and Akira however that's probably because they don't really have an awesome relationship XD

As for 20th Century Boys i also wanted to mention that, but it's manga only.

Old 2009-03-27, 15:01   Link #8
babybro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
You know i've seen more than two hundreds anime and still i can't really recall many that show an elder sister younger brother relationship, it's usually the opposite.

In Gravion and Gravion Zwei the main character is looking for his bigger sister, however you won't "see" her untill the very end.

Mamotte Shugogetten is closer to what you look for. The main character has a big sister, and she has a somewhat relevant role in a few episodes but in the others she is completely absent.

Inu Yasha: one of the main characters (Sango) has a younger brother (Kohaku). The two have a very good relationship however due to certain circumstances they fight on opposite sides for the vast majority of the series. Kagome herself has a younger brother but he's practically irrelevant.

I know i haven't been really helpful but those are the closest things i could find.
Quick question, when you say the sister doesn't appear until the very end, does that mean the end of gravion or gravion zwei?
Old 2009-03-27, 17:59   Link #9
holyalexander
holy alexander

inu yasha is a good and nice anime to watch..
Old 2009-03-27, 18:48   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

Kurogane no Linebarrels: I can't tell who is older but the twin brother and sister, Izuna and Shizuna are the pilots of a machina that is capable of nerve crack. Generally, their role is to back Hayase Kouichi in battle, as well as guard the base.

RideBack: Ogata Rin tried to protect her younger brother who got mixed up with the wrong crowd and ended up labelled as an armed terrorist.
Old 2009-03-28, 00:47   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Quick question, when you say the sister doesn't appear until the very end, does that mean the end of gravion or gravion zwei?
You won't "see" her until the last episode of "Zwei" which is the second season, but that doesn't mean she isn't there in previous episodes... she is there since the first one of season one, but you'll only understand when you see the last episode. I can't say more than this unless you want a huge spoiler. You can well understand that you can't expect much interactions between the two siblings 'though...

Old 2009-03-28, 19:43   Link #12
Justin Kim
*Artist

Akane-Iro Ni Somaru Saka

In order to protect the girl Yuuhi Katagiri, a new transfer student, from danger, Junichi Nagase is forced to kiss her. Not understanding what happened, she screams at him, not knowing that her father has arranged for her to marry him. One day Junichi Nagase, once a savage delinquent known as the "Geno Killer", saves Yuuhi Katagiri from danger. ~Summary from Animenewsnetwork

Another conflicting character is actually Junichi's sister. There is a huge mystery to her identity throughout the whole entire show. Whether she really is Junichi's blood related sister or not you can find out by watching It's a good story, with lots of romantical comedy scenes.
Old 2009-03-29, 02:33   Link #13
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Akane-Iro Ni Somaru Saka
Why would you suggest a show that a.) has incest and b.) is about a big brother/little sister relationship?

Do people even bother reading posts anymore?
Old 2009-03-29, 03:21   Link #14
babybro

@ Autumn Demon

Wow, thanks for the heads up lol.

Just to be clear, when I mention like anime that has a older sister, little brother in it, I meant where the person makes an appearance for more than one episode.
I was warned about Gravion and Gravion I could make it through, but mamotte showed her only one time during the entire series lol.

So when I ask for anime, I meant where they actually have a decent relationship, where they are actually there. Not just show up so the little brother can get placed in a judo throw and disappear without even an goodbye lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
In PlanetES the main character has a little brother, but he plays a very small role in the show, only being in a couple of episodes.
I checked up on the anime, and the main character is a guy. So I'm a bit confused regarding this suggestion. I was asking for a big sister/little brother relationship in an anime, not brother/brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
EDIT: Also check out Bounen no Xamdou, the plot really became a trainwreck near the end IMO but it's got very solid production and you might find the characters pretty interesting. The more sustained elder sister/younger brother relationship comes in the 2nd half of the show though. Eureka 7 may have counted if we actually saw very much of Renton's older sister 20th Century Boys has the mystery of Kenji and his older sister's strange disappearance but it's not really a huge factor in the show manga.
Are you sure this anime has an older sister/little brother relationship? I checked up the anime on wikipedia.org and the only relationship showed was Haru having a younger sister, nothing mentioning about having a little brother? Unless one of the side characters have one?
I just want to make sure before I dedicate the HDD space that animes do indeed possess what I'm looking for, thanks.

Last edited by babybro; 2009-03-29 at 03:38.
Old 2009-03-29, 05:51   Link #15
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybro View Post
Are you sure this anime has an older sister/little brother relationship? I checked up the anime on wikipedia.org and the only relationship showed was Haru having a younger sister, nothing mentioning about having a little brother? Unless one of the side characters have one?
I just want to make sure before I dedicate the HDD space that animes do indeed possess what I'm looking for, thanks.

Argh, sorry about that. I forgot to mention the all important bit that they aren't related. But it's so close to big sister/little brother that I think it should count. It's between Yango and Nakiami, happens in the second half or so. Better fleshed out than the relationship between Haru and her sister imo.
Old 2009-03-29, 18:34   Link #16
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Why would you suggest a show that a.) has incest and b.) is about a big brother/little sister relationship?

Do people even bother reading posts anymore?
Wow dude I bet you haven't even watched the anime. Don't judge something, after you read it on animenewsnetwork. It's not incest, and that's just false information. The ending reveals that the brother and younger sister have something more special. I just stated that they weren't blood related. They just stay in the same house, it's just that the brother is so ignorant, that he keeps calling the girl his sister. Autumn watch before you speak-_-.
Old 2009-03-29, 19:11   Link #17
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
>snip<
You know, you might not want to spoil the fun for the people who have yet to see the show.

And regardless of whether or not their relationship is incestuous, it's still a big brother/little sister relationship, which is not what the poster is looking for.
Old 2009-03-29, 23:04   Link #18
babybro

Alright, I've ran through many of the series you guys suggested. I was wondering if anyone has so more suggestions that I can partake in. It's very strange though that out of "ALL" the anime out there, there is still very few anime that has a older sister, little brother in it. It's really sad when you consider the amount of older brother, little sister in each anime.

In any case, any more suggestions will definitely be appreciated.
Old 2009-03-30, 10:03   Link #19
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
You know, you might not want to spoil the fun for the people who have yet to see the show.

And regardless of whether or not their relationship is incestuous, it's still a big brother/little sister relationship, which is not what the poster is looking for.
I didn't really spoil it entirely! Lol, I just gave him broad details, the rest is for him to figure out the plot lines.
Old 2009-03-30, 17:42   Link #20
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I've just started Sola and it turns out the main character has a big sister. She's been hospitalized so they are not living in the same house, however so far he payed a visit to her each episode.

Closed Thread