AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-28, 04:17   Link #41
ShiroiRyu

21 : Too much stalking for me. XD
Old 2012-05-28, 04:39   Link #42
Tenchi Hou Take

My god that JoJo gag, couldn't stop laughing.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:50   Link #43
Qilin
Romanticist

21:

So stalking can apparently impart ninja skills, eh?
Old 2012-05-28, 04:51   Link #44
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
21:

So stalking can apparently impart ninja skills, eh?
Well you'll need them to be effective.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:46   Link #45
Diveman

LOL thats certianly a creative way of becoming a ninja. This manga is too much lol
Old 2012-05-28, 13:31   Link #46
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Tsuwabuki's down to earth-ness is becoming really funny, though it's truly Nadeshiko's fault for not really talking to him all this time, and just stalking him, he completely forgot about her.
Old 2012-05-28, 18:26   Link #47
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i like how the author hindsigth his/her own work, and i love how ranmaru is so innocent, the way she approach tsubaki inviting him to spar, and he doing it without knowing what was happening was both hilarious and cute.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:03   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Read the first volume of this after hearing that the Gintama team was doing an adaptation for Sunrise and honestly it seems....pretty bad. I don't know, I just don't really see the humor in the whole hawt chick that has everything and just continues to get more of it because the universe all but bends over backward to give it to her. There's some gallows humor that reminds me a bit of Gintama and Momiji seems like a pretty amusing if over the top character, but Sakura would have to actually grow and learn something as a character to make this at all tolerable to any extent as an anime, but it looks like she's just getting everything to go her way regardless cause I guess that's supposed to be funny or something. Words cannot describe how much I hate her character archetype and the ineffectively used cynicism that typically goes behind it (I'm all for black humor and blunt portrayals of the way things are in life, but these characters always seem like they are their simply there for magical wish fulfillment and typically have poor development with regards to why the reader/viewer is supposed to like them) and I kind of have to wonder why the Gintama' team would seemingly get called off of the current season of that pretty awesome and funny show for something like this.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:18   Link #49
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
but Sakura would have to actually grow and learn something as a character to make this at all tolerable to any extent as an anime,
That's more or less the point of the manga, as I do believe she'd made to be a dislikable character to begin with.
Seeing as you've only read one volume, your assessment isn't wrong, but I would suggest to keep reading.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:38   Link #50
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
That's more or less the point of the manga, as I do believe she'd made to be a dislikable character to begin with.
Seeing as you've only read one volume, your assessment isn't wrong, but I would suggest to keep reading.
Yeah I get that that's the intention, my problem is with how it's supposed to be funny, especially considering that it's not the first time I've seen this whole concept even this year. It honestly reminds me a lot of Medaka Box, only comprehensible and slightly more amusing. The only time the ojou-sama archetype is actually funny that I've seen is when it's played so that they actually have some sort of absurd commupance for all their equally absurd vanity, but this one seems like it wants to side step that idea entirely for the sake of preserving the main characters perfection and again I have to ask where the potential for humor is supposed to be in that.

Keep in mind I'm a fan of cyncial and even black humor, but not meanspirited and childish humor.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:53   Link #51
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Yeah I get that that's the intention, my problem is with how it's supposed to be funny, especially considering that it's not the first time I've seen this whole concept even this year. It honestly reminds me a lot of Medaka Box, only comprehensible and slightly more amusing. The only time the ojou-sama archetype is actually funny that I've seen is when it's played so that they actually have some sort of absurd commupance for all their equally absurd vanity, but this one seems like it wants to side step that idea entirely for the sake of preserving the main characters perfection and again I have to ask where the potential for humor is supposed to be in that.

Keep in mind I'm a fan of cyncial and even black humor, but not meanspirited and childish humor.
Is the ojou-sama archetype the source of her comedy? She pulls it out from time to time, but I think the comedy is supposed to come from the whole absurdity of her perfection, when it's being used for comedy that is.
Old 2012-05-30, 20:26   Link #52
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

The first volume isn't that good since it's really just starting out. Go read more -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2012-05-30, 20:27   Link #53
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:

Sometimes it's just fun watching characters act like total jerks to each other.

Nothing deep really.
Old 2012-05-30, 20:39   Link #54
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i personally think sakura is more the rich kogal type, and i actually love the serious bits and the character development in all that comedy,the story is not supposed to be taken seriously, yet it have some serious development in it, kinda how the tv show scrubs handled itself, i personally cannot wait for more manga or the anime.
Old 2012-05-30, 20:46   Link #55
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Is the ojou-sama archetype the source of her comedy? She pulls it out from time to time, but I think the comedy is supposed to come from the whole absurdity of her perfection, when it's being used for comedy that is.
Yeah seen this bit done and it's not that funny typically. However having said that I read the first few chapters of the second volume and I sort of get what they're going for a bit now with the Sakura character or at least the overall premise isn't as bad/simplistic as it initially appeared to be. Sakura thankfully isn't played totally to the extreme of where her character could go (Medaka/Kirino), which was what I was worried about and she actually does get some development to show that she's not actually the meanspirited character she's originally portrayed to be and gets plenty of grief the same way she causes it for Momiji. As for the premise, Momiji is like her logical foil and vice versa in a way, which the tennis short kind of illustrated. If this gets good direction and dialogue I could see this maybe being an amusing watch after all.

The whole girl goes around and literally spreads happiness while being totally ridiculous and oblvious as to how she's being led to do it coupled with an equally colorful cast of supporting characters premise seems like a fit for the usual 100 or so chapters that Shueisha likes to get out of it's manga too so now I get why this is in Jump. Medaka Box which I may have mentioned though...juries still out on that one. With the worry that Sakura was going to be a clone of that character or a Kirino type out of the way I may check out the anime since the summer season will be lacking and Sunrise usually puts on a good production when it comes to adapting Jump manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
The first volume isn't that good since it's really just starting out. Go read more -_-
This rings pretty true.
Old 2012-05-30, 21:29   Link #56
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
The whole girl goes around and literally spreads happiness while being totally ridiculous and oblvious as to how she's being led to do it coupled with an equally colorful cast of supporting characters premise seems like a fit for the usual 100 or so chapters that Shueisha likes to get out of it's manga too so now I get why this is in Jump.
Well it's Jump SQ, for what it's worth. It's not so much that she's oblivious either, if anything,
it's more like she's conditioned herself to not act or see things in such a way that normal people would, making her spiteful of most things, but she does change as it goes along.
Old 2012-05-31, 13:48   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Well it's Jump SQ, for what it's worth. It's not so much that she's oblivious either, if anything,
it's more like she's conditioned herself to not act or see things in such a way that normal people would, making her spiteful of most things, but she does change as it goes along.
Yeah I went and read some more and see what you mean, they managed to make her sympathetic in volume 3 in a way that didn't feel contrived or detrimental to her development and comedic potential which is a common pitfall. This chicks alright, she sort of reminds me of Priere from La Pucelle in terms of personality at this point and when you think about it most if not all the cases where she acts up its actually been the other people that have drawn first blood and assumed things about her so its kind of fair shed do the same in kind.

So rarely does the recommendation to read more work but the way this one doesn't stall on making its rough around the edges protagonist more relateable it does here. It also gets a lot more amusing from vol 3 onward too which is nice.
Old 2012-05-31, 21:37   Link #58
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

it's from this arc onwards, the one where ninja stalker girl is revealed, that the manga starts to really pick up imo

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2012-06-01, 23:12   Link #59
Shadow5YA

Chapters 22 and 23 are scanlated.

Man... how does Tsuwabaki get a harem without doing anything as a side character?
Old 2012-06-02, 04:03   Link #60
Diveman

^ I find that extremely funny, he doesnt even care lol
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, shounen