Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 12:35   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Looking for a particular kind of humor

Oh well, while watching the last few spare romances left, i'll ask this:

I'm looking for animes that contain a certain kind of humor that is most likely to make me chuckle.

Animes that succeeded in this have been:
Arakawa under the bridge: The humor i'm looking for is this. A protagonist, who is a rational and cool guy with a big amount of good sense, thrown in a mass of freaks and weirdos that think in a total different way, like they were in their own worlds.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: The protagonist, Kyon, is rational, cool, and has got a good amount of good sense aswell, but has to deal with the bossy, weird, exalted Haruhi.

Basically, a cool, rational(even cynical), hilarious protagonist with a huge amount of good sense that has to deal with weirdos or narrow minded people who seem to not think at all. I like the protagonist's comments about how irrational and stupid are the actions of the other characters, and how he has to deal with these crazy and exalted people, eventually whining all the time. The age should be between 15-20 years old, but i'm ok with older characters that look younger, if that's the need. No kid looking characters with kiddish voice. Oh ye, the protagonist has to be male.

The genre, since it has to make me chuckle/laugh, should be comedy, but something light and thoughtless, to relax out.

The animation, no matter how much of a comedy the anime is, has to be middleway serious (The kind of Arakawa and Haruhi indeed), so nothing like Zero no Tsukaima and the kind. A little romance undergoing is necessary tho, even if it's only secondary. Also, recent shows are preferred, but in general i'm okay as long as the animation doesn't look old.

Steins;Gate contains my favorite protagonist of all times, and the one that made me laugh the most, Okabe: exalted and hilarious character that turned down his funny side when some events occurred, showing to be more than some exalted maddo saientisto. But there just isn't any anime like S;G, so don't really mind it.

TL;DR: Mentally superior being thrown in a mass of mentally deviated beings(not necessary for them to be total freaks; it's okay if they are just little narrowminded and the protagonist tries to bring them on the right road).

Here the titles i've already watched (end of the first post) http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107800
Old 2012-02-22, 12:53   Link #2
jedinat

Nodame Cantabile sort of fits I guess. Your type of protagonist I think, but more than being thrown in which a bunch of weirdos, thrown in with one weird girl.

You might like Tentai Senshi Sunred... the protagonist is like late 20s-30 year old masked hero who mooches off his girlfriend... and is constantly being bothered by the local evil organization who is headed by a conscientious "good neighbor" type who just happens to want to rule the world with an iron fist of evil, etc...

I really want to recommend Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu, but the protagonist doesn't fit your requirement of older/cool male. Hilarious anime about a young boy cursed with common sense in ridiculous circumstances.
Old 2012-02-22, 13:10   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here's some good hearted comedies that you might enjoy.
  1. Dog Days
  2. Chu-Bra
  3. Infinite Stratos
  4. Koe de Oshigoto!
  5. Ladies vs Butlers!
Old 2012-02-22, 13:11   Link #4
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes has some kind of particular humor. It follow the wacky adventures of four highschool female detectives, but do not have male lead (he appears in the game, due to the fact that this anime is based on a visual novel). However, the character-design looks childish.

Not to mention with Working!, which fits your requirements.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-02-22 at 13:24.
Old 2012-02-22, 13:21   Link #5
Stealther

NHK ni Youkoso!
Old 2012-02-22, 15:23   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Bakemogatari, for sure Araragi is the perfect example of kind of lead you want, not mention the things he gets to deal with .

The World God Only Knows(aka Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai) Keima is definitely cynical, cool, and hilarious protagonist.

Also I'll second Working!! as another good comedy series for this, given Souta's personality and work environment.

I didn't see these listed in your other post so assume you haven't seen them .
MAL
Old 2012-02-22, 15:45   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I second Nodame, Guu, and NHK, and toss in Oh! Edo Rocket.

If you don't mind having a male animal as the protagonist, I'll suggest Higepiyo as well.

Level E might float your boat, too.
Old 2012-02-22, 16:03   Link #8
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Already watched Bakemonogatari, Checked out TWGOK(had stalled it), but i can't find Working anywhere(licensed and stuff :/)

I forgot to say that i hate cat-girls, sport animes, and music based animes (no nodame cantabile).

Added the other titles to the list. Anyways, just to say, TWGOK already has little serious animation. Checked Dog days long ago, but contained cat/dog girls, and the animation was little serious.

I'm looking for an animation of the kind of Arakawa under the bridge or Steins;Gate or Haruhi Suzumiya no Yutsu or Angel beats. That's the kind of "serious" animation i look for.
Old 2012-02-22, 16:07   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
i can't find Working anywhere(licensed and stuff :/)
http://www.crunchyroll.com/wagnaria you can legally stream all of it there .
MAL
Old 2012-02-22, 17:21   Link #10
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.
Old 2012-02-22, 18:08   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.
Oh dam that sucks .
MAL
Old 2012-02-23, 18:50   Link #12
Elegance

hmm just here to update. Steins gate ova just released or "episode 25"
Also Gintama is a good comedy because its a parody though it gets serious later on.

The poll thread for it.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110508

Last edited by Elegance; 2012-02-23 at 19:22.
Closed Thread