AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-04-22, 11:33   Link #6541
S.Freedom

There's still Riika Shedder who was Gaia's test pilot. Who would've been familiar with the units controls and by all accounts was still alive at the time of capture.

The only reason I can think of for not bringing in Riika is that the idea of having two female gundam pilots active at the same was scary to the producers or something. That or they thought it would throw the whole two guys and a girl thing out of whack.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 11:47   Link #6542
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
The only reason I can think of for not bringing in Riika is that the idea of having two female gundam pilots active at the same was scary to the producers or something. That or they thought it would throw the whole two guys and a girl thing out of whack.
i really doubt its the "No girls allowed" in gundams. i'm betting that the staff/development team didn't want to make/draw/voice a whole new character. when i think about it there weren't many new characters introduced past ep 25 really.
Old 2013-04-22, 11:57   Link #6543
S.Freedom

So your saying they where lazy right? I suppose I could buy that, even if it's stretching things a bit.

I mean they went through the effort of bringing in Heine/TM Revolution for all of 3 episodes. I'd think bringing a new VA and character that survives the series after his/her intro would be childs play in comparison. Though if they did, they'd also have to give Andrew another suit to pilot when the Eternal is under attack. Then give a half hearted reason for him having it.

So yeah they where being lazy
Old 2013-04-22, 11:58   Link #6544
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Or she's just not important enough. By that point the Gaia has been through a lot of shit, they sent it back to PLANT for refitting or a new pilot. Maybe she was supposed to get it then, but the suit was "lost"

Eitherway, I don't think the Gaia was as important to the Minerva as it was supposed to be. After all, it was basically supposed to be an Impulse pack originally.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 12:04   Link #6545
S.Freedom

I'm not sure about the Impulse pack thing.

I mean I know there was a Gaia pack built and all. I was just under the impression it was so there could be two Gaia like units in play. Or two Abyss or even two Chaos units in play at any given time. They where meant as force multipliers not as replacements for or in place of the actual units.
Old 2013-04-22, 12:21   Link #6546
Paladinoras
Pancakes

No, I'm pretty sure it was noted that all of those packs were originally planned so that Impulse would basically have unmatched versatility. It's just that PLANT figured that all of them could be better if built as separate suits instead of building multiple Impulses. PLANT originally wanted Impulse to literally be able to do EVERYTHING, so that one ace pilot could just decide the outcome of a battle in any situation.

After it was recaptured, the other suits have outscaled Gaia so far that it wouldn't have made much of a difference if they fixed it and sent it into battle again, not to mention it being damaged.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 12:23   Link #6547
quagmire

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Impulse pack thing.

I mean I know there was a Gaia pack built and all. I was just under the impression it was so there could be two Gaia like units in play. Or two Abyss or even two Chaos units in play at any given time. They where meant as force multipliers not as replacements for or in place of the actual units.
If what I read is correct(and knowing Destiny details, who knows....), the Gaia, Chaos, and Abyss were just going to be packs for the Impulse, but engineers determined it to be easier to develop them into three separate Gundams.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 13:23   Link #6548
Aquaman OS

Quote:
There's still Riika Shedder who was Gaia's test pilot. Who would've been familiar with the units controls and by all accounts was still alive at the time of capture.

At that point the staff probably didn't care. Everyone but Shinn was going to be disabled next battle so that only Shinn would be able to do the heavy lifting so noone else would be in the air during the Destroy battle, so Kira would have to kill Stella, making her killer an enemy Shinn could take revenge on, where as if a Zaft pilot did it, Shinn would have to bite his tongue and let it go since it was an ally making an enemy kill.

After that the plan was for Zaft to become the villains and Lacus team to become the heroes, so all Riika would have done was be another poor shmuck to get beat up on by Kira or Athrun.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 14:10   Link #6549
S.Freedom

@quagmire/Paladinoras If you guys say so, like I've said I'm not as familiar with the side materials as I'd like.

@Aquaman OS Only one minor problem with that. The Gaia is a purely ground based unit with zero flight capability. So there's absolutely no way Riika would be able to kill Stella. Not unless the Gaia managed to climb it's way up to the cockpit without getting shot to do the deed.

And considering the situation Shinn and the Impulse where the only logical choice against the Destroy. The Savoir as well, but as you said Kira had already taken it out by then.

Last edited by S.Freedom; 2013-04-22 at 15:42.
Old 2013-04-22, 16:24   Link #6550
Destined_Fate

Eh. Impulse is still good enough as Shinn was able to crush nearly everything with it, even the Freedom(Leaving it beyond repair) and Destroy(Which he was never in any real danger against). By the time he upgraded to the Destiny the Impulse was still one of the most powerful MS around with only the later signature Gundams, and stuff like Akatsuki, being better than it.

Real shame that Savior was trashed so quickly though. I vastly prefer its design over the Infinite Justice and it looked plain awesome and could transform!
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 16:55   Link #6551
Aquaman OS

It's too bad Minerva didn't make the kill shot, forcing Shinn to have to think outside his little box. But of course everything was contrived in Destiny, and it was guy Shinn could hate and feel justifed and self rightious as always over it.

I guess it would have been interesting if Athrun had done it but Kira made sure that couldn't happen ironically shooting himself in the foot with that as he likely would have liked to have Athrun able to be involved during Berlin and Angel down.
Old 2013-04-22, 17:48   Link #6552
S.Freedom

Yeah well hindsight is usually 20/20 after all. I'm sure if Kira knew at the beginning of Destiny what he knew at the end he would have done some things differently. Same likely applies to Athrun. In which case he likely wouldn't have rejoined ZAFT by letting Durandals words get to him. Unfortunately the plot required Athrun to forget certain things so he would rejoin ZAFT.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:08   Link #6553
Aquaman OS

It was poor timing really. Athrun chats with Kira and finds out he doesn't really want anything to do with the next war, goes to Plant, Durandal sweet talks him into rejoining Zaft, and since he wants to do something and Clyne Faction is apparantly sitting this own out he accepts.

Then of course Lacus is attacked and Kira and co get involved anyway, and oppose Zaft, and suddenly things are complicated again. And since Durandal sounds correct and they got Heine killed Athrun initially tells them to but out and supports Zaft. Then Durandal starts his Logos witch hunt and starts removing obstacles and he realizes Kira was right after all.

But really Athrun would have been much happier if he had stayed in Orb, fought off the assasins and then left with AA. Of course he likely wouldn't have had much to do while Zaft and Clyne Faction would have simply been faceless adversaries to each other, since Athrun and the Minerva crew would have been at best guys that only knew each other for a few days.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:34   Link #6554
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
But really Athrun would have been much happier if he had stayed in Orb, fought off the assasins and then left with AA. Of course he likely wouldn't have had much to do while Zaft and Clyne Faction would have simply been faceless adversaries to each other, since Athrun and the Minerva crew would have been at best guys that only knew each other for a few days.
I'm gonna have to agree with you personally the whole show would have been better of if Athrun just would have stayed out of zaft. Shinn would have gotten a real mentor in the process.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:06   Link #6555
S.Freedom

And who would that mentor be?

As I'm not sure Durandal would have placed Heine on the Minerva had Athrun not been there. It was always my feeling that Heine was moved to the Minerva as part of Durandals attempt to manipulate Athrun. With any effect Heine haveing on the rest of the crew a pleasant bonus for him.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:14   Link #6556
Skye629

Quote:

As I'm not sure Durandal would have placed Heine on the Minerva had Athrun not been there. It was always my feeling that Heine was moved to the Minerva as part of Durandals attempt to manipulate Athrun. With any effect Heine haveing on the rest of the crew a pleasant bonus for him.
NO, WE NEED MORE HEINE XD

As for your early post about them being lazy and calling it a stretch: You are talking about the series most chock full of repeat clips in the history of gundam
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 20:35   Link #6557
Aquaman OS

Even if he was he probably still would have died. And Athrun wouldn't have cared since he wouldn't have ever met him.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:36   Link #6558
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:

call me crazy but Yzak would have been a much better mentor than Athrun for Shinn. Yzak was the Hot blooded guy of Seed who matured in a respectable commander, Yzak would have known how to handle shinn's personality much better
Old 2013-04-22, 20:40   Link #6559
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Or Yzak may have strangled him. That's entirely possible too.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:46   Link #6560
Aquaman OS

Most likely Durandal would have nobody mentor him. Instead he'd hang out with Rey, and have Rey bring him entirely under their control.

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep