AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-25, 15:59   Link #61
Kurohane

True, but it quickly turned around to her asking the questions. Who lets that happen?
Old 2013-10-25, 16:07   Link #62
~BC~

Someone desperate for answers who realizes he's not getting jack until he gives something in return.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:01   Link #63
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
That's what we can say as objective observers but if I put myself in his shoes it's hardly surprising that he'd try to get at least one question answered.
I can understand him being distracted, but that doesn't excuse him. You might get distracted by a real important phone call while driving, however, if that causes you to accidentally hit two pedestrians, then you are still at fault. Haruto not being at the ready during a battle would have cost lives (if they weren't all immortals), and he may have single-handedly screwed up everything, since he missed his cue, especially if he happens to be an integral part to the strategy.

Right now, Saki and Akira are right in the midst of the lion's den, Raizou and Kyuma are getting pummeled by Cain's forces, the other students and Takumi are waiting for the signal, and all Haruto can say is he "got distracted"?

If it were me, I'd beat the crap out of him for putting my life in danger because he couldn't remember to keep his mind on what he was doing. If he was in the actual army, there would be serious repercussions.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-10-25, 20:14   Link #64
~BC~

Not excusing Haruto but as far as him being on the ball goes L-Elf has his share of blame in this. It really made no sense that he left Marie alone if he really thought her knowing things was such a threat.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:15   Link #65
Key Board
Carbon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
I'm not expecting Commander Shepard, but I would like to see him at least show leadership in that regard.
Thunder: So what do we do next?
Haruto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-p0ysCF6E
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-10-25, 20:17   Link #66
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I thought he just did what he felt he had to do in order to keep secrets from being revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Thunder: So what do we do next?
Haruto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-p0ysCF6E
lol Kyuuma could be Jacob or Garrus
Raizo could be Grunt
Akira could be Tali. Saki could be as well considering how their characters feel about Haruto/Shepard.
L-Elf could be Miranda
Satomi could be Joker. Due to the fact that both of them can be the butt monkeys of their teams
Old 2013-10-25, 20:18   Link #67
Kurohane

Quote:
Not excusing Haruto but as far as him being on the ball goes L-Elf has his share of blame in this. It really made no sense that he left Marie alone if he really thought her knowing things was such a threat.
Well, to be fair, she only had speculation to go on. Even if she told anyone, they would think she's making up stories, and it's not like she had anything concrete. It was only when Haruto started to spill the beans, L-elf felt the need to shoot her. That info stays classified on a need to know basis.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:21   Link #68
~BC~

She saw his eye almost get blown out of it's socket. She had more than speculation. And I seriously doubt that L-Elf couldn't figure out that she'd confront Haruto about it.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:24   Link #69
queenSwild

I like Haruto, but this episode made me realize that he still needs a ton of development. I'm not saying that he needs to become cold and perfect like L-elf, but he needs to become more... I don't know.. Active? Make more decisions? Think more about the consequences of his actions? Because it seems like L-elf is the only person in that little pact of theirs that does any work.

Maybe he just needs more confidence? It doesn't seem like he realizes the big role that he has. Although it's highly possible that he'll get some development when they get defeated next episode.. Or maybe he'll feel terrible about his mistake and become worse? I'll try not to think about it..
Old 2013-10-25, 20:27   Link #70
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenSwild View Post
I like Haruto, but this episode made me realize that he still needs a ton of development. I'm not saying that he needs to become cold and perfect like L-elf, but he needs to become more... I don't know.. Active? Because it seems like L-elf is the only person in that little pact of theirs that does any work.

Maybe he just needs some more confidence? It doesn't seem like he realizes the big role that he has. Although it's highly possible that he'll get some development when they get defeated next episode.. Or maybe he'll feel terrible about his mistake and become worse? I'll try not to think about it..
This. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:29   Link #71
~BC~

Quote:
Because it seems like L-elf is the only person in that little pact of theirs that does any work.
Bad choice of words.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:35   Link #72
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

If only I could break the fourth wall...

Smack some sense into him

@~BC~ What would you like to see from Haruto this season?
Old 2013-10-25, 20:39   Link #73
queenSwild

Quote:
Bad choice of words.
Yes, I know. I thought about it just as I posted that. Haruto does fight battles, so that counts as work.

But I just wish that he'd make more decisions for himself and didn't depend on L-elf as much. It made me kind of.. I don't know.. Annoyed when he was asked about something and then he was just like, "ask L-elf". Shouldn't he know something about that? Have helped him in the planning of it? Done something?? The deal doesn't seem very half-half to me, I guess.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:40   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just like L-Elf is too quick to "shoot first, ask questions later", Haruto is too quick to simply go along with whoever is speaking to him in the heat of the moment. One's a bit too hard, and the other is a bit too soft, which is why they need each other.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:40   Link #75
~BC~

Quote:
@~BC~ What would you like to see from Haruto this season?
I'm actually in agreement with what you said about him becoming the heart of the pilots and showing more leadership initiative. I also hope he takes a bit more initiative with L-Elf instead of waiting until the other does something to piss him off.

Quote:
But I just wish that he'd make more decisions for himself and didn't depend on L-elf as much. It made me kind of.. I don't know.. Annoyed when he was asked about something and then he was just like, "ask L-elf". Shouldn't he know something about that? Have helped him in the planning of it? Done something?? The deal doesn't seem very half-half to me, I guess.
Yes! Completely agree on this.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:40   Link #76
Kurohane

Quote:
I like Haruto, but this episode made me realize that he still needs a ton of development. I'm not saying that he needs to become cold and perfect like L-elf, but he needs to become more... I don't know.. Active? Make more decisions? Think more about the consequences of his actions? Because it seems like L-elf is the only person in that little pact of theirs that does any work.

Maybe he just needs more confidence? It doesn't seem like he realizes the big role that he has. Although it's highly possible that he'll get some development when they get defeated next episode.. Or maybe he'll feel terrible about his mistake and become worse? I'll try not to think about it..
Agreed! The character development comes when it comes, though it's looking like later instead of sooner.

Quote:
Yes, I know. I thought about it just as I posted that. Haruto does fight battles, so that counts as work.

Haruto's always had the tendency to believe in others, so he doesn't have to make any decisions for himself. It's from his passive personality. That's why in the beginning he was shown to be very. . . uncompetitive? Is that the word to use?
Old 2013-10-25, 20:42   Link #77
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just like L-Elf is too quick to "shoot first, ask questions later", Haruto is too quick to simply go along with whoever is speaking to him in the heat of the moment. One's a bit too hard, and the other is a bit too soft, which is why they need each other.
They complete each other as characters. They balance each other out. Now hopefully they can be developed to stand on their own individually while still being partners.

Quote:
THIS!

@~BC~ He is far too reactive.

I was talking to my brother about this and he said Haruto could be the Cap to L-Elf's Nick Fury.
Old 2013-10-25, 20:51   Link #78
Irenesharda

Quote:
How is L-elf responsible for Haruto knowing to keep his mind on what he's doing? I don't care if Marie decided to strip down and do a fan dance, Haruto should have still been at his post.

Quote:
She saw his eye almost get blown out of it's socket. She had more than speculation. And I seriously doubt that L-Elf couldn't figure out that she'd confront Haruto about it.
Well, to be fair, even she wasn't sure what she saw. She was beginning to think she imagined it. It was only after she had talked to Pino that she became sure of what she saw. L-elf does know how to judge people and garnered from her reaction that she wasn't sure what she saw since it was so outlandish. If you look back at her when she saw his eye healed she gasped but then looked confused. Many a time, if what a person saw is too outlandish for them to grasp, they actually convince themselves that they were mistaken.

And if Marie did actually start asking questions, L-elf would have either made sure she got nowhere or silenced her. When Haruto started blabbing, L-elf went to the second option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The two are really the product of their environments, L-elf needed to be that way in Dorssia, or else he wouldn't have survived. Haruto is from the lax and idyllic world of JIOR, where he's never really had to make a definite decision and hasn't had to fight for anything. I have a feeling that where L-elf was experiencing JIOR life in the first season, Haruto may be getting a taste of Dorssian life this season.

Both are (hopefully) going to learn to complement each other, with L-elf letting go some and regaining some of his lost humanity, and Haruto becoming a little harsher and tougher and more decisive.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-10-25, 20:53   Link #79
queenSwild

I'm expecting Haruto to be on equal footing with L-elf by the end of this series. He's already questioning his acts, so I think that's a good sign. I'm just worried about if they lose this next battle. Will Haruto blame himself or try to improve himself? We'll see..
Old 2013-10-25, 21:01   Link #80
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
I'm expecting Haruto to be on equal footing with L-elf by the end of this series. He's already questioning his acts, so I think that's a good sign. I'm just worried about if they lose this next battle. Will Haruto blame himself or try to improve himself? We'll see..
I'm hoping for that at this point.

Tags
characters