AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 20 28.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 36.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 24.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-01, 22:17   Link #21
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

@00Coyote For me, this show is sort of like Cowboys and Aliens/Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter where I like it when silly premises are taken extremely seriously. Yeah, the fact that the stakes concern a crap movie does hamper the seriousness somewhat, but the way the characters treat it so seriously causes me to enjoy it. And of course, I really like Houtarou due to my Daria-fanboyism.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-07-01, 22:29   Link #22
flack

Did Oreki really need to get that emotional over something so trivial (I don't mean the mystery)?

I feel like some of the emotions of this episode need not be exaggerated.
Old 2012-07-01, 22:37   Link #23
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

what a great episode to a very interesting story arc.

Started off extremely slow, mainly due to the actual terribleness of the home made video, but the last two episodes had a lot of good character development.

Orange text is obviously Hotarou's sister - senpai, calling Houtarou an "idiot", across the globe (she's in India).

What I want to know is WILL WE SEE IRISU AGAIN?! Best girl by far in the series.
Old 2012-07-01, 22:38   Link #24
cheerio_888

@flack: It's really not trivial for him. For once, he felt that he was actually important and talented. Irisu gave him that opportunity by asking him to "solve" the remaining of the movie.

Well, his confidence was really crushed in this episode.
Old 2012-07-01, 22:42   Link #25
prototype_sky

This episode is shows the reason why he didn't want to be baited in the first place
Old 2012-07-01, 22:49   Link #26
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Whoever that "It's me~♪" was, I can't help but feel she's somehow underestimating the people around that "idiot" and their power of curiosity...

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2012-07-02, 00:07   Link #27
Shadow5YA

So as of this episode, Houtarou has not one, not two, but three girls leading him by the nose: his sister, Eru, and Irisu. This is amusing.
Old 2012-07-02, 00:36   Link #28
Trans-Fat

IMO I think the person who solved this case FIRST was Satoshi. Chintanda already felt something was fishy at the beginning but didn't say anything (she probably do not know why too).

Satoshi was the one who said that Oreki symbolizes STRENGTH in the tarot. So, perhaps Satoshi noticed something also and hinted that Oreki symbolizes STRENGTH and should look up STRENGTH in the tarot and realize that he (Oreki himself) is just being used (by Irisu). Not sure if this happened prior or after the STRENGTH scene, but Satoshi did meet up (walked, and talked) with Oreki and asked if he was serious about completing this "mystery ending" as Satoshi probably felt something was off.
Old 2012-07-02, 00:43   Link #29
rulfo

I don't know about you guys but I would totally feel like shit if I was in Oreki's shoes. I might not show it outside but I will be feeling numb for quite a while there.

Imagine this, you got so worked up about a something. You didn't want to do it at first but then something or someone hooked you up to it. You're morale was at a high. The helped solve a problem which was given to you except that THAT particular problem had a twist to it and that you would be playing the fool for it.

I hate being sugar coated with motivational words just for the purpose of getting used for others benefits.
Old 2012-07-02, 00:49   Link #30
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Did Oreki really need to get that emotional over something so trivial (I don't mean the mystery)?

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. The whole time I found myself saying aloud, "Is it REALLY that serious?"

I can understand that he's upset over being manipulated/used. I would be, too. But I wouldn't even be half that emotional about it. I found his reactions (as well as Chitose's during his private convo with Houtarou) a tad too dramatic to be realistic.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:18   Link #31
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Actually, some people can be that very temperamental, even if you think they shouldn't. Might sound unrealistic to see one snap out like that but they exist.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2012-07-02, 01:43   Link #32
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
IMO I think the person who solved this case FIRST was Satoshi. Chintanda already felt something was fishy at the beginning but didn't say anything (she probably do not know why too).

Satoshi was the one who said that Oreki symbolizes STRENGTH in the tarot. So, perhaps Satoshi noticed something also and hinted that Oreki symbolizes STRENGTH and should look up STRENGTH in the tarot and realize that he (Oreki himself) is just being used (by Irisu). Not sure if this happened prior or after the STRENGTH scene, but Satoshi did meet up (walked, and talked) with Oreki and asked if he was serious about completing this "mystery ending" as Satoshi probably felt something was off.
Satoshi didn't solve it. He and Ibara just noticed the solution was inconsistent, that's all.
Quote:

Irisu obviously touched a sore spot. Gave him hope and snatched it away.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:45   Link #33
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. The whole time I found myself saying aloud, "Is it REALLY that serious?"

I can understand that he's upset over being manipulated/used. I would be, too. But I wouldn't even be half that emotional about it. I found his reactions (as well as Chitose's during his private convo with Houtarou) a tad too dramatic to be realistic.
Quote:

Thats the typical simpleton in many anime that can easily get stuck and carried away by other ppl's feelings.

But to say in the Hyouka's pov, i think Oreki's heart is so close and near to the Classic club, though it sometimes annoyed him coz messing his peaceful life, but he just couldn't ignore them. So when he deducted something that made his friends feeling bad, he couldn't ignore that. Its like betraying something close to his heart.

The burden of pain doubles when he realized that he was made to do such thing which betrayed his friends' feelings by a manipulative senpai, and triples when he realized that he was such an idiot to not realized that earlier.

Well thats what you get with a simpleton. Don't blame him for such over emotional act lol.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:13   Link #34
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Actually, some people can be that very temperamental, even if you think they shouldn't. Might sound unrealistic to see one snap out like that but they exist.
Oh, I wasn't saying people like that aren't out there. I know that very well. I just find characters acting that way to not be to my personal taste. X3 I'm also not used to Houtarou acting that way, so I was probably just turned off by seeing him act in a way I'm not used to, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Thats the typical simpleton in many anime that can easily get stuck and carried away by other ppl's feelings.

But to say in the Hyouka's pov, i think Oreki's heart is so close and near to the Classic club, though it sometimes annoyed him coz messing his peaceful life, but he just couldn't ignore them. So when he deducted something that made his friends feeling bad, he couldn't ignore that. Its like betraying something close to his heart.

The burden of pain doubles when he realized that he was made to do such thing which betrayed his friends' feelings by a manipulative senpai, and triples when he realized that he was such an idiot to not realized that earlier.

Well thats what you get with a simpleton. Don't blame him for such over emotional act lol.
Hmm, that's an interesting take on things. And I wasn't really blaming Houtarou, I just wasn't fond of what I witnessed, is all. XP
Old 2012-07-02, 02:23   Link #35
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Hmm, that's an interesting take on things. And I wasn't really blaming Houtarou, I just wasn't fond of what I witnessed, is all. XP
I can understand that. Its the reaction, and that look of raged Oreki that feels weird if we consider his lacky and lazy nature. Even Chitanda said so.

But thats the power of friendship. After several episode, Oreki might find how friendship affects him in so many ways. His relationship with his club members, and how it affects him, which outweighs his personality and nature. Even if its going to annoy the hell out of him, he is still willing to follow and be with them. Its a bond that is so different from Hongou-Irisu, because Irisu never considered Hongou's feelings in the very beginning.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:25   Link #36
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Loved the dismissive smackdown by Houtarou's sister towards Irisu at the end of the episode.

"I'm the master (manipulator) now!"
"No, grasshopper. You have much more to learn."

Makes me wonder if Houtarou's sister will be the final antagonist. Wonder why is it so common in anime to have "I Mean Well" elder siblings that completely screw up your lives in psychopathic ways.

*burns your puppy alive*
"It's for your own good, young brother of mine."

With his sister's involvement in both major arcs, will she play one in the next one, and how so.

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:45   Link #37
Qilin
Romanticist

This is just idle speculation on my part, but I believe that Houtarou is, in truth, a rather emotionally fragile person, which could explain why he built up so many walls around himself. After all, it hasn't been all that long since he first ventured from his comfort zone, so being "betrayed" (or at least deceived) by Irisu might have hurt him quite a bit.

That is another possible interpretation of Houtarou's sudden outburst, although it's not quite as intuitive (or convenient) as the melodrama explanation.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:23   Link #38
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

not a bad episode but too much melodrama over nothing, i would get jotaro acting like that, and eruu because she displayed to be that kind of character, but the other two just made a storm in a teacup, and if they noticed that much why didnt they say anything sooner, well at least they filled that scrptwritter plothole.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:39   Link #39
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

For some reason Irisu doesn't appeal to me that much although I like the manipulative type. On the other hand I'm probably the only one who likes Hongou (<3) aka the shy and reserved person who does her best for the sake of others but can't confront others at all.
Old 2012-07-02, 04:24   Link #40
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Brilliant. I'd give it 9.5 if I could. All questions that I remember popped up in previous episodes discussion got answered, especially "Why don't they just ask Hougou?" one.

About the outburst scene, I think we have to consider that they (the stuff) intentionally add music, camera angle, voice acting and etc. to make it dramatic. After all, they want to show that he's serious.

Once you take that into account, I don't think it's over dramatized. For all we know, Houtarou has been living a grey life. He never think he has any talent (Implied in episode 7 that it's most likely because he's constantly overshadowed by his sister.) This is the first time he was told he is needed. He's special, and no one else can do it. Then he realized it's all a lie. I might not go and confronted the person who said it like he did, but I'll certainly feel like crap like he was.

I said last time that Irisu is a good leader, but not a great one. This episode strengthen that idea. There is no loyalty in her leadership, since all she can is "force" people to do things for her, directly or indirectly. She cannot "ask for a favor" from people. People will eventually realized, like Houtarou did, and get sick of it sooner or later.

In any case, I stated to understand why this series is described as "the bitter-sweetness of growing up." This is a realistic version of growing up. It's not a story about Houtarou realized his talent, become a great detective, and goes on to solve "exciting" mysteries. It's about realizing the non-idealistic world. Exciting "Rose-colored life" can backfire on you like it did to Sekitani Jun. Or people will say all kind of irresponsible thing to get the result they want, like Irisu did to him. Similar to when Eru realized that the sibling relationship is neither her ideal or Houtarou's opposite version of it, but something in between.

He's becoming an adult. One that have to survive in this cruel world. Maybe his sister is trying to make him learn about that?

Last edited by Hyper; 2012-07-02 at 04:58.
Closed Thread