AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 13:16   Link #81
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
I only saw a couple episodes of the original. This time I'll be planning on finishingfor sure.
Old 2006-03-28, 13:28   Link #82
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I wouldn't call it GOOD news. That leaves a big open window for story alteration.
The anime rushed many of the the stories for the characters, and now that it'll be 24 episodes its enough time to explain each story in a lot of detail.
Old 2006-03-28, 13:34   Link #83
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
The anime rushed many of the the stories for the characters, and now that it'll be 24 episodes its enough time to explain each story in a lot of detail.
Eh... The Shuffle stories were resolved for the most part and look what happened . Kanon didn't have any problem with the stories (haven't played the game but the anime seemed ok), so I wasn't complaining for that. Oh well, at least now I know beforehand that my favorite (Nayuki) isn't going to win

Or the ending will change to reflect the new ending fashion
Old 2006-03-28, 14:06   Link #84
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Eh... The Shuffle stories were resolved for the most part and look what happened
We had plenty of time for character development and to learn more about them, untill each arc started.

The same shall happen for the new Kanon series, but with 24 episodes it can do the same that Shuffle did.

Even though the Air anime was only 12 episodes, it told the story perfectly, its just a shame Kanon couldn't do that with the same amount of episodes.
Old 2006-03-28, 14:32   Link #85
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Not another one. When will this trend of turning hentai games into anime end?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:33   Link #86
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
It won't end, because they hold within them good stories - and should be told in different formats, that way for people who can't play the game, get the anime.
Old 2006-03-28, 14:38   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I guess this was to be expected... initial optimism slowly eroded by questions and doubts that'll only grow until the series finally airs (not to mention the far-too-predictable arrival of "haters"... welcome...).

Anyway, the way I look at it is this: Key knows that remaking an anime that's only 5 years old is a risk - if it fails, it'll not only have poor sales, but it'll hurt sales of the original too, and leave a negative impact on their game fans (their "bread and butter", so to speak). So, for Kyoto Animation to commit to a 24-episode series (their first project that long ever, I think?), somebody must really think this is going to work. So, I'm at least willing to give it a shot. No matter what happens, there'll be some who say the original is better, and others that prefer the new one more; remakes are almost always like that. But I'd like to see what new things they're able to bring to the table this time around and, at the very least, am looking forward to seeing the characters in motion again.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:40   Link #88
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I have yet to see one that has a story that can keep me hooked past the 5th episode. I guess the whole watch the anime instead of play the game thing saves space and time, but don't companies usually take liberties with this kind of adaptation. Honestly, what it all comes down to I think a lot of companies can spend their resources better doing other things that will actually bring them noteriety in the long run rather then a short term guaranteed cash grab.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:44   Link #89
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I guess the whole watch the anime instead of play the game thing saves space and time
I didn't mean it in that, not everyone can play those type of games - what with them being in Japanese, and this gives people a chance to see the story.
Old 2006-03-28, 14:47   Link #90
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, what it all comes down to I think a lot of companies can spend their resources better doing other things that will actually bring them noteriety in the long run rather then a short term guaranteed cash grab.
Sadly, anime execs and sponsors would rather make an anime that is proven to be popular to otakus rather than starting from scratch which could be risky. What are the types of things that are proven to be popular to otakus? Light novels and ero-games. These are the titles which are niche enough to be unknown to the majority of the populace, but famous enough that a large proportion of otakus are willing to spend tens thousands of yen on.

So if an ero-game is popular, especially like in this case "Kanon," it is going to be animated so that everyone (sponsors, anime studios, ero-game softhouse, seiyuu talent agencies) can become rich off of otaku suckers.

So to answer your question, it's not a trend - it's a reality of the overwhelmed anime industry in its current state. You'll see more and more coming soon - from kickass mechas like "Kishin Hishou Demonbane" and (hopefully) "MuvLuv Alternative," heart-warming stories like "CLANNAD" and (hopefully) "Kazoku Keikaku." Why risk going bankrupt trying something new when you have suckers willing to spends wads of cash on DVDs and Drama CDs? Especially when you have over dozens of anime studios trying to kick each others' ass with over 57 new anime series coming up in the next season, studios and execs are willing to go conservative to hold out.

But then again, these ero-games themselves are proven to be popular, so from the softhouses' point of view, they made the stuff originally which has become successful to spawn such an anime series. While you complain about these so called "hentai game to anime conversions," they are laughing as they become multi-millionaires overnight. Well, that's how capitalism works: the guy complaining - stuck at the same job making "lowly" amounts of only USD$4000 per month. Them: obtain profits and royalties in forms of MILLIONS by doing absolutely nothing after the game was released (mocking intended).
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:47   Link #91
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
The 24 episode news is certainly welcome news, considering the amount of line chopping they had to do to AIR to make it fit within 14 episodes. With 24 episodes, they'll be able to properly treat each girl's story (I hope). However, because of the very nature of adapating a multi-path story involving romance between the main character and one heroine into a single-path story involving everyone will make it feel very harem oriented. I'm not sure if there's actually a good solution to this, other than to exploit multipath, but that probably wouldn't make for a very logical/easily watchable story.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 15:10   Link #92
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
So, for Kyoto Animation to commit to a 24-episode series (their first project that long ever, I think?), ....
Hmmm, I think Kyoto Animation's longest project was Inu Yasha (with the help of Sunrise of course).
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 15:15   Link #93
Desti-Fate
Now available in pink

Well, I see Yuuichi's noble prow has vanished. I was quite fond of it, myself.

Shame it doesn't seem to be bringing any new songs with it though. The Kanon soundtrack was my favourite of any anime.

24 episodes is *brilliant* news. Even Ayu was a bit strained for space last time round.
Desti-Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 15:20   Link #94
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Hmmm, I think Kyoto Animation's longest project was Inu Yasha (with the help of Sunrise of course).
Okay, I should have clarified - as the lead/sole producers (i.e. their own project)... better? Sheesh... All these companies have partnered on projects with bigger companies before.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 16:31   Link #95
DanielSong39

Is this Kanon or AIR 2? Some of the characters even look the same.

I'm actually rooting for the depressing "everyone dies" ending. The out-of-the-blue cotton candy ending(s) in the first show just didn't work for me.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 16:35   Link #96
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39
Is this Kanon or AIR 2? Some of the characters even look the same.

I'm actually rooting for the depressing "everyone dies" ending. The out-of-the-blue cotton candy ending(s) in the first show just didn't work for me.
It's Kanon

Bleh... Why do people want to see so much suffering? All hail Mai Hime-style ending
Old 2006-03-28, 18:07   Link #97
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
You know, you don't have to watch them. No one's forcing you. If you don't like ero-game to anime conversions, there are plenty of other series to choose from. If you do decide to watch Kanon, please don't prejudge the series based on other titles you've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Anyway, the way I look at it is this: Key knows that remaking an anime that's only 5 years old is a risk - if it fails, it'll not only have poor sales, but it'll hurt sales of the original too, and leave a negative impact on their game fans (their "bread and butter", so to speak). So, for Kyoto Animation to commit to a 24-episode series (their first project that long ever, I think?), somebody must really think this is going to work. So, I'm at least willing to give it a shot.
Given the response here, I can only imagine it would be greater in Japan, where Kanon is more well known. As such, I think it'll be a success unless KyoAni does something to screw it up. However, so far all signs are pointing that it'll be their usual quality animation, and with 24 episodes, it won't suffer from the lack of time the original adaptation did.

Besides, a new adaptation would probably boost sales of the game. Any otaku in Japan who haven't played the game yet may now decide to seek it out. Not to mention those who have played it, but lost, sold, ect, their copy may now buy another one to play it again.

As for those concerned about possible filler, a shorter series wouldn't work. The original had to leave a lot out, and had a rather disjointed feel. At 24 episodes, it'll give them room to include more of each girl's story, and tie things together properly.

I'm actually looking foward to the discussion of this series almost as much as the series itself. This will be the first ero-game to anime conversion where a good number of english speaking fans are familiar with the plot. It'll be interesting to see how that effects the discussion.
Old 2006-03-28, 18:18   Link #98
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Quote:
Eh... The Shuffle stories were resolved for the most part and look what happened . Kanon didn't have any problem with the stories (haven't played the game but the anime seemed ok), so I wasn't complaining for that. Oh well, at least now I know beforehand that my favorite (Nayuki) isn't going to win

Or the ending will change to reflect the new ending fashion

Don't even compare Kanon with Shuffle! It just makes people angry ^^

As to the 24 episodes... I can see it both working, and not working. Pretty much as was stated, if there is a lot of filler in the middle of the show, I'll be disappointed. But then if KyoAni manage to keep a consistent viable plotline (probably some form of multipath from the episode count) that makes consecutive sense throughout the show.. yay 24 episodes

Although in another sense... 24 episodes! For Kanon! Hoorah! ^_^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-03-28, 18:21   Link #99
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm so excited 0_0 I can't wait to see Ayu-chan ^-^
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 18:42   Link #100
DrewGSR

I did enjoy Kanon, more than I did Air.

But come on a remake wtf, more like waht a waste of resources... I mean if its is like AMG TV and how it was basically a long dragged out version of the AMG Ovas then that would be friken retarded and pointless.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen