AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 13:41   Link #61
Shadow5YA

Yeah, I realized that and edited my post.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 13:04   Link #62
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It's probably in vain, but I hope Intelligent Systems will finally change the level-up system to something that doesn't randomly screw over your characters's stats.
Old 2012-04-23, 15:41   Link #63
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

That's... quite a lot of DLC characters for a game that's only come out recently. I'm happy they're giving FE4 some love, though. Got to say I'm pleased with the portraits in those pictures, because I really wasn't a big fan of Roy's redesign. He still has his bandana and fiery red hair, but the clothes are... well, not what I imagine a FE Lord wearing, to say the least. Arguably he may not be a Lord anymore in this game, but the point still stands, since it's hard for me to think of him as anything else!

Also, Sigurd as a Paladin? Poor Sigurd, Pala's probably my least favourite class in the FE history, haha. Here's hoping they manage to add in Celice sooner or later, too!
Old 2012-04-23, 15:56   Link #64
GDB

Okay, all these cameo characters is actually starting to turn me away from the game. Is the game of such poor quality that they need to throw in nostalgia gimmicks to keep people happy? Do they not care and just want to put in fanservice like in FFTA2? Or do they merely think that nostalgia gimmicks will be a gold mine for DLC money? None of these reasons seem very promising to me.

Though it is nice to see that FE4 isn't forgotten, though its inclusion has probably doomed its chances in America.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 16:16   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It's probably in vain, but I hope Intelligent Systems will finally change the level-up system to something that doesn't randomly screw over your characters's stats.
There are actual class and character specific growth rates so it's not entirely random. Personally I've never had a high potential character end up entirely useless, but apparently it has happened to other people. The only time I get annoyed is when a character ends up gaining 0 stats off of a level up. The way I usually gauge it is if a character gains at least 3 stats it's a good level up, 2 is acceptable but not what I'd typically hope for, 1 or 0 usually leads me to consider a restart unless the 1 is a defense gain. Defense has got to be the most valuable stat in the games though, so few characters in FE games have good growth rates in defense I find.

Ideally I've found a character needs to have at least a 10 in role critical stats (Fighters need at least a 10 in strength and defense, mage needs at least a 10 in magic and speed and anyone that can activate sword skills needs top notch skill and ideally speed as well since they typically don't get a lot of defense) in order to be viable in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
That's... quite a lot of DLC characters for a game that's only come out recently. I'm happy they're giving FE4 some love, though. Got to say I'm pleased with the portraits in those pictures, because I really wasn't a big fan of Roy's redesign. He still has his bandana and fiery red hair, but the clothes are... well, not what I imagine a FE Lord wearing, to say the least. Arguably he may not be a Lord anymore in this game, but the point still stands, since it's hard for me to think of him as anything else!

Also, Sigurd as a Paladin? Poor Sigurd, Pala's probably my least favourite class in the FE history, haha. Here's hoping they manage to add in Celice sooner or later, too!
Paladin's problem a lot of the time I find is that it has terrible growth rates and is typically most useful as a meat shield since they never tend to excel in any area in particular. I just look at them as mediocre though. For me the best class has almost always been Sword Master (obscene speed and critical potential with the chance to hit a ridiculous number of times) and worst class Axe Fighter (slow as molasseses, accuracy issues, gets doubled a lot, not enough spear users in most games to make them viable).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 16:29   Link #66
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Okay, all these cameo characters is actually starting to turn me away from the game. Is the game of such poor quality that they need to throw in nostalgia gimmicks to keep people happy? Do they not care and just want to put in fanservice like in FFTA2? Or do they merely think that nostalgia gimmicks will be a gold mine for DLC money? None of these reasons seem very promising to me.

Though it is nice to see that FE4 isn't forgotten, though its inclusion has probably doomed its chances in America.
Reckon it depends if you play using the casual mode or normal mode. I haven't actually looked it up, but is there a cap on units you can have at a time?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 16:31   Link #67
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
There are actual class and character specific growth rates so it's not entirely random.
I know. But getting level-ups that only raise one stat seriously sucks and I wish they'd get rid of it.
Old 2012-04-23, 16:42   Link #68
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Paladin's problem a lot of the time I find is that it has terrible growth rates and is typically most useful as a meat shield since they never tend to excel in any area in particular. I just look at them as mediocre though. For me the best class has almost always been Sword Master (obscene speed and critical potential with the chance to hit a ridiculous number of times) and worst class Axe Fighter (slow as molasseses, accuracy issues, gets doubled a lot, not enough spear users in most games to make them viable).
Yeah, that's pretty much the main issue with Paladins. They have that sweet movement, but often times in recent games I'd just pick Great Knight or whatever else over them. Besides, I really find it hard to forget about those terrible pre-promoted Paladins that we've gotten throughout the series' history. You know, Marcus and all... hahaha.

Then again, I still used Isadora in Blazing Sword and gave her the item to improve her growths and all. Honestly, what WON'T I do for a pretty looking virtual lady!
Old 2012-04-23, 17:42   Link #69
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the main issue with Paladins. They have that sweet movement, but often times in recent games I'd just pick Great Knight or whatever else over them. Besides, I really find it hard to forget about those terrible pre-promoted Paladins that we've gotten throughout the series' history. You know, Marcus and all... hahaha.

Then again, I still used Isadora in Blazing Sword and gave her the item to improve her growths and all. Honestly, what WON'T I do for a pretty looking virtual lady!
Good thing Fire Emblem is chock full of the battle maidens then. Bonus I guess if you're a leg and cape/scarf fetishist since a more sizable chunk than one might imagine have that thing going on.

As for Paladin's again, probably the only one I ever found really useful was Titania cause she actually gets halfway decent growth rates and you essentially HAVE to use her to carry Ike and co through the early parts of Path of Radiance since they just can't do the damage or take the hits from bosses early on. She was actually still surprisingly viable in the end game too, which was practically unheard of for past Jeigans.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 20:00   Link #70
Shadow5YA

Quote:
What? The green and red cavaliers are almost always great units with decent growths (Cain and Abel, Allen and Lance, Kent and Sain, etc). It's only the Jegan prepromotes that end up terrible.
Old 2012-04-24, 08:36   Link #71
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Reckon it depends if you play using the casual mode or normal mode. I haven't actually looked it up, but is there a cap on units you can have at a time?
I doubt there's a cap on "having", since I doubt there's generic units that you can constantly recruit like in FFTA. However, there's always a cap on the number of units you can take into a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
What? The green and red cavaliers are almost always great units with decent growths (Cain and Abel, Allen and Lance, Kent and Sain, etc). It's only the Jegan prepromotes that end up terrible.
Exactly. And in FE9 (the Gamecube one), I recall there being a third Paladin that was actually really good. On par with or slightly better than the red and green ones.
Old 2012-04-24, 08:47   Link #72
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

It's not that every Paladin is *horrible*, but compared to other classes, they feel as if they have little to offer aside from some good MOV rate. In recent games, in particular, where you're able to actually pick the classes you want your characters to be on and aren't limited by a single promotion, I seldom used Paladins, except for rescuing purposes sometimes. So yeah, not too big a fan of them.
Old 2012-04-24, 08:56   Link #73
GDB

Yeah, I like to always keep one or two around for rescuing purposes if I don't have Pegasus Knights or the like.
Old 2012-04-24, 12:28   Link #74
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I doubt there's a cap on "having", since I doubt there's generic units that you can constantly recruit like in FFTA. However, there's always a cap on the number of units you can take into a map.
But until now we never had FE game with recruit-able DLC characters and for all we know you might end up having over 100 units on your lists.
Old 2012-04-24, 13:20   Link #75
GDB

I assume they'd account for whatever units they offer up. Otherwise it'd just be a horrible oversight on their part that would scream incompetence.
Old 2012-04-25, 03:02   Link #76
Nayim

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/25...rican-release/

Cross your finger everyone.
Old 2012-04-26, 15:35   Link #77
Sides

New DLC character up on the official page, you guess it is Micaiah, but Ike will also make his appearance in in Micaiah DLC, but it doesn't seems like he is a recruit-able character just yet.
Next in the line is Alm, form gaiden.
Visit the official DLC page to see some screens and art of he latest DLCs.

I have to say Micaiah art looks kind of hmm.. judge it for yourselves.
Old 2012-04-26, 17:17   Link #78
GDB

I'd say she looks better than she did in her own game.
Old 2012-04-26, 19:29   Link #79
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I don't like her new design at all.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 21:02   Link #80
Shadow5YA

Micaiah looks like she was designed by the Fate/Extra artist.

I still don't like Ike's in game model.

Tags
3ds, fire emblem