AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-05, 18:14   Link #1
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Good free or cheap webhost / website

I just started my first website, but I've run into the problem that my files can only be a certain size and I can't upload mp3's, avi or exe files. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for webhosts who will let you upload those kinds of files and don't limit file sizes. I would prefer free webhosts first since I'm a newbie, however cheap webhosts are ok too.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 18:21   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
moved into the Tech forum

I only know free-host and Brinkster, But both are rather crap.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 19:00   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

There are very few website hosts these days that will let you upload EXE and AVI files. You should look into whether your ISP has a free hosting plan. Otherwise, try Geocities or something.

There are many cheap webhosts around, but I can't recommend any because I haven't tried any just yet-- I still use my ISP.
Old 2004-02-05, 19:44   Link #4
kyosuke
My bike got stolen

Geocities, Hostultra, Tripod, Angelfire, (Try Hostultra), the last time i used it, it was great, dunno about now, but it should be good.
kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 09:29   Link #5
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
I just started my first website, but I've run into the problem that my files can only be a certain size and I can't upload mp3's, avi or exe files. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for webhosts who will let you upload those kinds of files and don't limit file sizes. I would prefer free webhosts first since I'm a newbie, however cheap webhosts are ok too.
It would be a little more helpful if you mentioned which country you were from, how much you were willing to pay and by what method, and how much data you wanted to store/transfer monthly. If we knew those, it might be a little easier to make recommendations.
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 11:27   Link #6
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

I host webpages altho my server may have a little less for example no php or my sql support and no dns but it,s fine for ppl starting out(just use a redirection like .tk). currently my web page signup is down but you can email me and i will try and help you! it has ftp acess and 50 megs all for free, their are many things that i have left out but email me for mor info.

Anyone that sugests geocities is a idiot! geocities is a crappy hosting service.

O on a side note i dont allow copyrighted matirial on my server unless you own the copyright.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 13:34   Link #7
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
It would be a little more helpful if you mentioned which country you were from, how much you were willing to pay and by what method, and how much data you wanted to store/transfer monthly. If we knew those, it might be a little easier to make recommendations.
Ok...I'm from the U.S., so I need a english speaking webhost. I'm willing to pay up to 5 dollars per month right now. And I need a site that can give me at least 20 mb, and no less...although i'd like to shoot for more like 50. Hope that helps!
Old 2004-02-06, 13:37   Link #8
Zigma

Hey, for 5 bux i can give you 1GB Webspace/ 20GB Bandwidth on cpanel.

comes with ftp, forum, php, mysql and other good stuff.
Zigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 13:45   Link #9
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
just host your own. if you have a connection better than dialup, it's easy. just set up apache or use iis(only on server platforms, winxp pro, and xp home(crack)). there are no monthly fees and you get all the bandwidth you want. But if you need time to get your site running, i'd be happy to host a few things for you.
Old 2004-02-06, 13:57   Link #10
Zigma

Most ISP Do not allow you to run a webserver and if they find you they terminate your service. Read their TOS, It's stupid but true.
Old 2004-02-06, 14:30   Link #11
warnold
nerfelwap

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
Ok...I'm from the U.S., so I need a english speaking webhost. I'm willing to pay up to 5 dollars per month right now. And I need a site that can give me at least 20 mb, and no less...although i'd like to shoot for more like 50. Hope that helps!
I've been happy with sevaa.com which will fit you at that price.

(I'm on their "business plan" $6, 100Meg, 3Gig, but you could do their cheapest plan: "personal plan" $2.5/month 50Meg, 1Gig)
( I am: http://nabiki.org/ -- http://bt.nabiki.org/ -- etc)

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:16   Link #12
Zigma

If anyone is interested in getting hosted, I have the following plans

$ 5 = 1gb and 20gb b/w
$10 = 2gb and 40gb b/w
$15 = 3gb and 60gb b/w
$20 = 4gb and 80gb b/w

All have cpanel, MySQL, PHP you can get your reports via the cpanel, I allow any type of files basically and no file size limit

forgot to mentiont his is a special for animesuki people ^_^
If you get the $10 dollar plan and up I'll throw in your own dot com domain.

Last edited by Zigma; 2004-02-07 at 12:14.
Old 2004-02-06, 19:43   Link #13
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

hell trying to steel my buisness hu...i dont think so...lol
its your choice but go my option and i will give u as i said b4 50 megs free and i wont restrict your bandwith (as long as its reasonable, i havent restricted anyone yet) plus i am acomidating so if you need more you can just ask no file size limit

i am still figuring out why i do this all for free
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 18:17   Link #14
phoenixfire92983

lol, I feel like i'm in one of those commercials where they have all of these real estate people competing for your business. These are some pretty nice deals and I'm tempted to apply for one. I wanted to see if there's any more suggestions first though. I'll be holding off my decision for a couple days, so this is your chance if you haven't spoken up yet
Old 2004-05-02, 05:55   Link #15
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Send a message via Yahoo to FiRe_RoSe82
know any great free webpage site??

Hi everyone,

I believe some of you might already have your own webpage.. planning to build my own but trying to figure out which site can give great features.. care to share any recommended free webpage site??

Thanks!!
FiRe_RoSe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 06:04   Link #16
Palani
///_^

You can try a free host such as www.web1000.com

Or my tip is always to explore the functiosn delivered to you by your ISP. Mostly when you make a deal with an ISP it comes with so much e-mail adresses and about 20mb webspace to build you personal homepage. This is what I'd suggest tring out first. Since you're new at building websites this should serve your initial needs. When you find you enjoy building sites and want to explore more technical items such as PHP (assuming you're starting in basic HTML like me) then it would be advised to go and find a cheap server which then serves your needs. This was the way I made my way into the internet. Starting small and making your way up to the bigger things.

///_^, Hope that helped

Edit: Here's a site that helps you search free web hosts by entering your requirements to them.

http://www.freewebspace.net/
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 08:10   Link #17
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Try also freewebs.com... I think i created a website there once... for free...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 11:58   Link #18
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I prefer Angelfire. [www.angelfire.com]. Sign up for the Fr [Free] service. 20 MB to mess with...
If you want a decent page, you have to learn HTML...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 02:21   Link #19
Neko no Makai
f0rum n00b

if anyone really need webspace.... and if u get ur own URL redirector (dont worry its free or sumtin) i can offer u some space on some of my clients webbys, not like they use all of it. Just dont put big files on it or sumtin.... anyways pm me if ur looking
Neko no Makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 10:34   Link #20
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

i used the geocities tools to make my site.
Sakuba is offline   Reply With Quote