AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-10, 02:33   Link #1
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Question Things that matters the most in life(materialistic)???

I know most people will say that good health, friends and family and job is what matters the most, but I am more interested in hearing if anyone of you got any materialistic things you value ALOT? Something you want to be buried with when you die, something you will want to have for the rest of your life as a memory? a picture? a keychain? a game? a diary? a watch? the first bike you ever got? some anime merchandise? a teddybear? an old picture?

Do you have any such things? Any materialistic objects that means the world to you? Not just today, this year or the next 5 years. But something that you will want to treasure for the rest of your life.

The question is also if it's wrong to feel such about useless stuff. Just stuff bought to be eventually be surpassed by better stuff. Like the phrase, "The more you own, the less you own"?
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 03:13   Link #2
Vanta
[Trance Addicted~]

Send a message via MSN to Vanta
There's nothing wrong with gettin addicted with some useless stuff.
There's nothing (materialistic things) that matters too much for me, but it's something I can understand.

I think it's a personnal problem.
For example, someone who's in love with someone else doesn't take care of the materialistic things, whereas those (Me?) who stay alone take more care about that kind of stuff.

I can't explain myself very well in this language but keep tryin.
Vanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 03:43   Link #3
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Hmm, materialistic huh? I would say my [Knight's Cross of the?] Iron Cross. It has a high sentimental value....
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 03:51   Link #4
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Nope. I'm not a materialistic person at all. In fact, every time I move (quite regularly) I tend to leave behind/sell off all of my furniture and just get new stuff, as opposed to carting it with me. I don't have anything that is more than a few years old. When I upgrade computer components (regularly) I give them to my brother. When I replace my computer entirely (every couple years) he also gets it -- he has I think seven fully working machines now, made of my old stuff. ^^;;

I don't have any sort of jewellery, or heirlooms or anything. When I move, it consists of a bag of clothes and my computer. Clothes I replace when they get worn out, computer when it's obsolete. I have no sentimental attachments to things I have no use for. So yeah. Not materialistic at all. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 04:09   Link #5
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Is it insane to have a "sentimental attachment" to a toy for example?

I got to think of it because of this thread(anime merchandise collector thread thingy) : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=22219&page=16

I have a few items I feel like that with. I don't know why, because I just want them sealed away in a box in the basement, but I need to know that I have them. It's almost like, I like a plastic figure based on an anime more than myself, and therefore its value is higher than me.

It's like... I'll die, but my precious useless-to-everyone-else item, will still be around long after I am gone.

I really don't know how to explain it. I know my selfesteme ain't through the roof, but can anyone relate?
Old 2007-06-10, 04:26   Link #6
Vanta
[Trance Addicted~]

Not insane, many people act like that indeed.
I've got a full-collection of figurines, which are always sealed in their box, and the box is sealed in a furniture. But I often open it to see that I "really" own'em, but I take care, not to scratch my "holy" figurines, and I put them back immediately in the boxes...
Don't worry, you're not alone.
Old 2007-06-10, 05:44   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I can't say I am, you know having this or that, but at some times its not necessary. Of course you want a pretty decent car, speed, gas, external visual. As long as you're not so obsessive, then you should be ok.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 07:08   Link #8
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Manga's anime figures and lots more!!!! XD...anything that has to do with one of my favorite anime's ^^
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 07:10   Link #9
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

I see. Guess I might not be alone then
Old 2007-06-10, 09:33   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Maybe. There are times in college when I really wished I had my bed.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 10:45   Link #11
DarkT
Banned

"The things you own end up owning you" - I don't remember where I've heared this one though - American beauty? Fight Club? Hmmmm, Don't rememebr.

Anyway, I have no such thing... I suppose that My harddisks are my most precious "material thing" - but then again, in anotehr 5 years they'll be replaced by bigger harddisks, so it's not the thing itself, I suppose - it's what it contains... Anime... Ebooks... Movies/series of parents... Stuff like that .
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 10:59   Link #12
hipeach

The thing that matters most in life? MONEY. period.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 11:13   Link #13
DarkT
Banned

Well, starcraft proves otherwise, you can have tons of money and you'll still lose... My bro' once saw me hoarding money in Warcraft and when the enemy came he was laughting his ass and was like "Good thing you have all this money to buy graves for your people, eh?".

And we all know starcraft is the holy rule...

Anyway, "the thing that matters most in life" would vary from person to person... Heck, you could take MAslow's thingy-model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs) and see that money is like, what? the very 1st step? Then again, money COULD make you "safe" - and it COULD provide tha basis for love and all that, and even confidence(esteem level) and eventually self fullfilment - but money would play only a part in all those other steps... A means to an end of sorts...

*sigh* - in the end thins aren't as simple as 1)get money... Though, with money things sure become easier - in most cases...
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 11:19   Link #14
Vanta
[Trance Addicted~]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Maybe. There are times in college when I really wished I had my bed.
Universal thing, I guess.
Old 2007-06-10, 11:38   Link #15
ibreatheanime

I am extremly fond of my material goods, and couldn't give up my posessions easily, however I dont have a sentimental item or heirloom.

I love stuff but

objects are still objects to me, not memories.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 12:03   Link #16
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

My PC. The web. And every little things that makes my life easier. Then comes the paradox.
Old 2007-06-10, 13:33   Link #17
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
on of the many topics that people think different about
though the most general thought is that what matters most in life is love and family.. however without any cash or materialistic ownership you wont be able to survive in this world

i think this is different between people, those who are in love and have a relationship value that the most whereas people who dont love and point themselves for carreer have more value for their objects because they show succes and because they can have personal vallue

for me what my most important object is.. well THE most important objects are the many lose sketchbooks i have, just simple notepads but i got them drabbled full with drawings made with black inque.. i just cant stand it if i lose a drawing, or if someone destroys it.. i would just cry because of the hard work i put into it and the feelings you have while you draw it, most of the things i draw are scenes that i wrote or that i still have to write, or simple character designs for a new series ive been working on on paper, i get personal when it comes to my own drawings.. when it comes to drawings i made for school in art class.. i hardly have any materialistic feelings.. however when i give them away to my teacher or to someone else it still feels as if you let go of a small part of your soul..

i wouldve named in my dog, who was more of a brother to me.. but he passed away a month ago.. in my heart he's still n.o. 1 an if he were alive he would surely still be n.o. but allas..

as for the rest... i vallue my computr an the simple adiction that we all have on this forum.. mess with my anime episodes and you have war coming up.. although i keep reminding myself that i can just download them again he he.. but thouch my valiable scripts that i worked so hard on and expect your car to be crashed.. thank god for internet back ups

what i vallue most are my keypoints to my future as i would put it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 17:18   Link #18
Spark

A toothbrush ^.^

But no, seriously um.. I can't really see me wanting to be buried with any of my stuff right now. But I am really attached to my anime collection and my cd collection. I suppose those are the two most important material things I own right now in my life. And if anything happened to my laptop at this point in my life I'd die. Haha!
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 18:11   Link #19
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Well, I have a gold chain necklace that my mother bought for me when we were poor. I value it because of what her giving it to me meant, and I've worn it since I was a child. I'll take it off when I get married. If it broke, I'd be disappointed, but not depressed.

I used to be VERY protective and attached to my photos and a few gifts from important friends. I'm no longer as concerned with those things, though (It helped when I lost some photos in file system corruption). I used to keep every card or gift that I was ever given... That leads to chaos, though. I'm still a packrat, but I'm getting better (of course I still have some things that I'll keep for sentimental value).

But things that don't have that same sentimental value? I do have some.

Honestly, part of the reason I like the things I have, and the reason I desire more things, is because I use them to fill an emotional void. I don't have much chance to socialize, and I don't yet have a family of my own (something I look forward to with great joy), so during times that I feel that lack of intimacy, I use my materialism as a small bandage. This is something of the reason why I am attached to certain anime, manga, and music.

Other people take that too far, of course: Some are so busy using materialism to meet their emotional needs that they either choose it over REAL emotional fulfillment, or let their "materialism ointment", so to speak, influence them to the point where they have trouble even experiencing real emotional fulfillment. Neither of those cases applies to me: When I am with other people, or when I am doing something with true purpose that fulfills me, all my things and entertainment are quite trivial.

When I'm in a different position as far as my personal relationships and "fulfilling my purpose' goes, though, I won't start living like a pauper or eschew material goods.

I grew up poor. On a few occasions, we didn't even have food in the house. Suffice to say that I didn't have many things, and the things I did have I kept, took care of and, most of all, appreciated. Now, even though I don't have everything I want since I spend so much of my money on Noble Causes, I can still have some things, and I do it without apology, because you'd better bet that I APPRECIATE them! I have no animosity toward people that have more than I do, but my anger flares against people who can't appreciate the things they have, however much that may be.

I'll be honest, I like "things". I like having things, and I like having NICE things. I'm working on making money for some Noble Causes, but I won't hide the fact that another part of the reason I want money is so I can have more things. I want more things, and I want more space to hold those things.

But if I had to give up all of those things... I'd shrug my shoulders and move on. If I had to give them up for a good reason, I'd be proud of my loss. In the past year and a half, I've given up my video games. One console was given to my cousin when his father couldn't find one for Christmas. The rest I sold to have money to go to Peru on a mission. I miss my games, but I was never upset about it.

Materialism isn't having things or appreciating things... It's valuing them over the things that really matter.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 19:10   Link #20
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Materalistic things... maybe something like this?

1. Beloved ones (incl. family, friends, etc...)
2. Money?
3. My PC, couldn't do anything/make a living without it...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote