AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2004-11-24, 15:35   Link #121
Kensuke

Just watched episode 5, I love those fights.
Good that we finally meet that fox girl from the opening, but should her name be Alf since it is written アルフ (Arufu), I think Arf would be something like アーフ (Aafu), correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Anyway, even with bad animation, rather surprising episode (after the bath scenes of course )
Spoiler:
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 15:49   Link #122
Aru
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
... but should her name be Alf since it is written アルフ (Arufu), I think Arf would be something like アーフ (Aafu), correct me if I'm wrong about this.
http://www.nanoha.com/charactor/arf.html
Aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 15:57   Link #123
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
This guy looks cool I wanna see him soon ^-^

http://www.nanoha.com/charactor/crono.html
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 16:35   Link #124
Trax
Rock beats scissors

According to that site, Arf is 16? (that number was the only thing I could read, I assume it's the age) Well perhaps she is physically, but in terms of existence she can't be that old can she? Seeing as how she was conjured into existence as a familiar. Or is it more of a summoning from some other dimension? It's a good thing her name is translated as arf, she is related to a doggie after all. Arf! Does that mean it's ok to call her a bitch now?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 16:36   Link #125
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
Just watched episode 5, I love those fights.
Good that we finally meet that fox girl from the opening, but should her name be Alf since it is written アルフ (Arufu), I think Arf would be something like アーフ (Aafu), correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Anyway, even with bad animation, rather surprising episode (after the bath scenes of course )
Spoiler for episode 5:
Spoiler for the two battles between Fate and Nanoha:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 16:53   Link #126
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
アルフ can be turned into Alf or Arf, depending how it's seen. It's up to the name romanizer or such. In this case, we chose Arf, because well, she's pretty much a dog :P Anyway, yeah, it says Arf is 16, but I guess she's the equivalent of age 16, since Fate indeed did create her. As for Crono, he's not so cool as you think him to be. I hate the VA for him and he's a bit of an annoying character but meh, to each their own :P
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 16:59   Link #127
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Spoiler for the two battles between Fate and Nanoha:
Well that was in fact one of the things I didn't like in the first couple of episodes. Just out of the blue she starts using powerful magic that the ferret guy (forgot the name) can't even use and hasn't even explained yet. But at least now she'll have to put more thought into her tactics, so that's definately more interesting. She has the power, but still lacks the experience.

Oh and there's another reason I'm glad about the name Arf, the other translation would have kept me thinking about a certain furry alien.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 17:03   Link #128
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Yuuno basically explained that magic comes from her heart so the Raging Heart will simply interpret her desires = instant magic ability. Fortunately tactics require more thought.

Though it seems that Yuuno does know magic that Nanoha doesn't even know how to wish for yet, so she still has some things to learn on that front as well.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-24, 18:35   Link #129
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Uh... was I the only one who thought that Nanoha's father isn't exactly... normal?

Spoiler:

Oh, we get some Fate panty shots in episode 5 as well.
Old 2004-11-24, 18:51   Link #130
Budweineken
Crap

A question to those who have watched Triangle Hearts... it might help answer Timeless Enigma's question

Spoiler:
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 18:52   Link #131
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
Oh, we get some Fate panty shots in episode 5 as well.
Of course we do... This has got to be the most perverted Mahoushoujou show I've ever seen. And that's saying something! Never before have I seen a transformation where the girl is stripped to her underwear before the underwear is also removed. The familiar creature practically gets nosebleeds everytime Nanoha undresses in front of him. (Which happens a lot!) This show is absolutely drenched in incipient sexuality. Sometimes I'm just gaping at its blatantness.

Of course we get Fate panty shots. I'm expecting a lot more of them.

Best action sequences of any Mahou Shoujou also.

Old 2004-11-24, 18:55   Link #132
Dragosmore
Translator

About Nanoha's dad... that line he says in episode 5 is referring to his previous action you might find in the Triangle Heart series. I figured this is okay to say not in spoiler tags since it's never discussed in series (at least not yet o_O), but in triangle heart, he's a big head of the swordsman dojo you see in the anime every now and then and basically a bodyguard for people, always doing dangerous stuff. If you saw Triangle Hearts ~Sweet Songs Forever~, he was basically what Miyuki and Kyouya were in that. General guard who protects people with coolass action skills who probably got quite a bit cut up along the way (remember that bath scene from an episode or two ago where you saw all the scars and stuff on his body?) That's basically it
Old 2004-11-24, 22:41   Link #133
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Damn, I forgot about Triangle Hearts and Nanoha's dad's role in that one (how could I ask such a dumb question?). But here's another dumb one: what's the official word on how this relates to Triangle Heart? Is it an AU spinoff or a prequel? Because... if my memory is not acting up again,
Spoiler for Triangle Heart:

Budweineken. Kyouya, Miyuki and Nanoha are siblings. If you look at the appearance, Nanoha got most of her mom's physical traits whereas the other two got their dad's. In Triangle Heart ~Sweet Songs Forever~ Nanoha does a cameo in... I forget which episode.

EDIT: Nanoha, Momoko (the mom), and S... uh... well, I can't remember names well today. Kyouya's girlfriend aka Nanoha's friend's older sister also appears in Triangle Heart ~Sweet Songs Forever~. They all work (at that time) at Midoriya.

Last edited by Timeless Enigma; 2004-11-24 at 22:48. Reason: Information Extension
Timeless Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 22:45   Link #134
Budweineken
Crap

But i remember 2 instances in Triangle Hearts were they talk about their parents and so on... one was towards the end when Kyouya was saying that the Coffee Shop owner raised him as her own son and that he loves her like his real mother... and in the first episode after the training the Chief of the Hong Kong Squad was talking about some wierd relationship they had...

I have those episodes somewhere... I'll rewatch them and update
Old 2004-11-24, 22:51   Link #135
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I think you might be right... damn. I'm tempted to rewatch it now too, but I'll leave that to you

EDIT: Well, I'm reviewing it anyway, check out episode 3, the very beginning.

EDIT again: Well Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha is definitely an alternate reality/alternate universe spinoff since in Triangle Heart
Spoiler:

Well, that's to be expected.
Old 2004-11-24, 23:12   Link #136
Budweineken
Crap

Yeah that spoiler is true...

OK i checked the 2 instances i told you about in Triangle Hearts... make of them what you will...

In episode one the Chief of the Hong Kong Civil Defense introduces Miyuki as her daughter and Kyouya as the son of her elder brother

In episode 3 Miyuki talks to Ellis and tells her that their real mother is the chief of the Hong Kong Civil Defense... and that the Coffe Shop owner was the one who raised them along with Kyouya's dad who is married to the Coffe Shop lady...

This is all the info provided from sugar-cube subs... make of them what you will... but some things that might trouble you...

Do Kyouya and Miyuki have different fathers...
Did Shino and the Chief have Kyouya/Miyuki together (incest)
Did Kyouya have a different mother than Miyuki...

And where does Nanoha fit in all of this....

now they always refer to each other as brother and sister... how much of it might it because they really are brother and sister... and how much of it might be because of being together for so long.... I don't know... maybe someone else has a better answer
Old 2004-11-24, 23:26   Link #137
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The familiar creature practically gets nosebleeds everytime Nanoha undresses in front of him.
Well, actually Yuuno is the same age as Nanoha according to the main site! (well I would have though he was way older ), so this might explain that...
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 16:53   Link #138
Dragosmore
Translator

I'd like to point out, now that the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Sound Stage 1 is out, that it will be subtitled. Yes, I know how weird that sounds. The majority of the soundtrack are minidramas that are all connected for the equivalent of an episode 2.5 in the storyline. This will be subtitled, but it will take a bit longer than the normal episodes because well, it'll be a picture/sort-of animated sub. Through screenshots and animation we find in the anime, we'll be producing a sub of the drama. So yeah. Expect it at some point :P
Old 2004-11-26, 16:58   Link #139
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Awesome news!!! I look forward to the sub of this audio drama!

I'll have to add this info to the series page of Nanoha so that I know what to do with the subbed CD when you're done with it.

Old 2004-11-26, 18:38   Link #140
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

This show gets more and more ecchi all the time.

Still believe fully that it's aimed at kids, though. Even with the timeslot. Kids have VCRs. And TiVo!

It's just not as shocking to have nudity and fanservice in kids' anime in Japan...

Anyway, as for the show itself, it's better than I expected. Not on my top anime of the season list by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly fun. Ferret-boy is cute and the shounen-style magic bouts really DO benefit from the fact that Nanoha does not win and win and win and win.
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote