AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-25, 20:10   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Acessing filters using VLC...

I just downloaded this x264 file and it will only play on VLC (Video Lan)...BS player, Zoom player, Windows, Core, and even the almighty play-all player MPC gives me the "This player has encountered an error..." Now I refuse to dl yet another codec package just to play one file and If I have to I'll just watch it on VLC as is, but I wonder is there a way to access and change filter prpoperties on this thing..I've been fooling with the options for a few minutes and can't get anything I want...I suppose ffdshow is the filter I'm looking for since the encode is x264 (which i guess isn't divx supported)...So can anyone tell me how to access the filter on this media player that seems pretty terrible, but it's the only one that plays the file for some reason...Another reason why I hate this current encoding trend....thanx...
Old 2006-01-25, 20:29   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

You can't do that. VLC only uses its own internal filters, so if you can't find what you're looking for in the settings (try checking "Advanced options" in the preferences), it's not there and you can't get it.

If you want us to help you fix your otherwise apparently broken playback (did you CRC-check the file?), you could start off with giving us the name of the file and the result of a test render in the CCCPI, for example, or a screenshot of what graphedit says.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-01-25, 20:29   Link #3
PurpleLightning

in what container is it in actually? seems to me you may have a splitter issue.
Old 2006-01-25, 20:30   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ I'm not quite sure what you mean...

And please no one get on my case *coughTheFluffcough*...

Just help if you can...

I'll pm you with the details Fluff...
Old 2006-01-25, 20:35   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLightning
in what container is it in actually? seems to me you may have a splitter issue.
No I think he just has a newb issue, with possible traces of delusions of grandeur.
Old 2006-01-25, 20:49   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yes I'm a newb...Yes I have delusions of grandeur (not unlike your own for making that post) and yes i need help...I wish your post could've provided that, but instead...
Old 2006-01-25, 20:52   Link #7
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Yes I'm a newb...Yes I have delusions of grandeur (not unlike your own for making that post) and yes i need help...I wish your post could've provided that, but instead...
Yeah sorry I just read the other thread you replied in today talking about your thoughts on x264. I thought that actually meant you might have some knowledge on the subject, looks like thats wrong.

The simple answer is don't use VLC. Use the CCCP or follow ASuki's Guide. Don't install K-Lite as you have in the past.
Old 2006-01-25, 21:07   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I do know enuff about it to discuss what I discussed about it in that thread...but this is the first x264 file I've actually tried to watch so I wasn't sure if it's the same....Then when only VLC played the file it confused me even more...So I do know alot about h264 and what it does (did alot of reading on it), but that doesn't mean i always know why a particular player will or won't play it (especially not let you play around with filters)...I hope no one is offended by my stance on h264 and can just help me without the attitude...You shouldn't feel like an assault on h264 is an assault on you personally, I just don't perfer it...
Old 2006-01-25, 21:11   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

No, no you don't know anything about it whatsoever to comment on it. Especially gauging how well it compares again DivX, since you have never actually viewed H.264 before just now. Every post you write about it shows how little you know.

TheFluff already explained it though. VLC has an internal set of decoders and filters. There is nothing to set or change about the filters, you can't. If you want to play the H.264 video in something else (MPC/ZP/BSP/WMP/etc) you need to use the CCCP or follow the ASuki Guide (note the ASuki Guide is not a codec pack, it is a guide to help newbs play H.264 video).
Old 2006-01-25, 21:38   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

My God another guy who takes this so far and so personal as if you created h264...He's really offended folks...Like I'm taking food off your table asking these questions...A guy asks for help yet you feel compelled to go to this length...If you didn't want to help, why even post? I know why...heh..

I have watched many (over 50 atleast) h264 files with only ffdshow as a filter...I didn't quite know that x264 was exactly the same(It's the first time i dl-ed a h264 file and in properties it said x264)...So I have more than a fair right to make the points I have a$$...Everything I have said from the beginning (as far as my point of veiw vs. DivX) is fair...Talk about getting you wires crossed..You think I'd discuss something I knew nothing about...delusions of granduer indeed...

Mods this discussion is dead... please close this thread because I offend too many posters on an internet message board, thank you...