AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 133 70.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 22.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 5.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-05, 16:48   Link #61
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Mai doesn't reveal it, but she shows extreme cunning in winning shiritori everytime by adding a -san to every animal name.
winning? oO
well, it was in the SS-E translation : you lose shiritori game if you cannot say any word within a certain time limit, OR you have said a word wich ends with "n" (because it's simply impossible to find a word like this so...)
yuuichi was first caught offguard because of the san, then stunned that mai tried to sound "ok" by removing the "-san" from "kirin", while she was still losing

*edit : *slaps his own head* hu i see : you are talking about sayuri's comment how it is hard to play with mai, because she add the san, which would be from a hidden and cunning intent to win? *needs more reading comprehension...*

double mistake in only 1 post, GAH...

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-01-05 at 17:12. Reason: wrong translation statement XD
Old 2007-01-05, 16:53   Link #62
Meophist

I think Sayuri might be the smartest person in Kanon.

Edit: I was going to say the same thing as Klashikari, but I wasn't sure if Riddle was joking or not.
Old 2007-01-05, 17:02   Link #63
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
winning? oO
well, it wasn't in the SS-E translation but, in fact, you lose shiritori game if you cannot say any word within a certain time limit, OR you have said a word wich ends with "n" (because it's simply impossible to find a word like this so...)
Yes, it was. Translation note at 4:42.
Old 2007-01-05, 17:04   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Yes, it was. Translation note at 4:42.
flat excuses m(_ _)m, i was only paying attention at the first note... (maybe a suggestion for a brighter font for the translation note? joke aside, my mistake indeed ~~)
gotta edit right away XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I think Sayuri might be the smartest person in Kanon.
you are talking about her reasoning when she was young with her brother (being strict), her talking with the third person, or something else?
Old 2007-01-05, 17:06   Link #65
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
flat excuses m(_ _)m, i was only paying attention at the first note... (maybe a suggestion for a brighter font for the translation note? joke aside, my mistake indeed ~~)
Heh ^_^; ... that's one of the "gordian knot" problems of fansubbing: How many TLnotes, how long and how prominent they should be. Some want them long with a bright catchy font, some want them unintrusive and short - so that they don't disturb but can be watched via "pause" key, and some don't want them at all.

So we try for the middle compromise. At least we're then being hit by BOTH sides >_<;

j/k
Old 2007-01-05, 17:18   Link #66
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I say again, Pachelbel was a GERMAN. It means that his works carry GERMAN names. The name of the piece had nothing to do with latin or anything, it was plain GERMAN: "Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur".
Thanks for teaching me my native language...

Which language might Pachelbel have used for originally naming his work, given he lived in the 17th century and was a Christian church organist?

Last edited by Devil Doll; 2007-01-05 at 17:52.
Old 2007-01-05, 17:23   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I love when everyone is yelling and they're really sort of saying the same thing Gotta love the C/K-elts (or rather the Romans and their damned root language) for messing with the damned "C" sound
Old 2007-01-05, 17:55   Link #68
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
Excerpt:
The problem is: Yuuichi saved Mai's life in this scene. What can he (or Sayuri) do beyond that, as climax for episode 15? I'm really afraid it was too soon for this scene. Then again, with Yuuichi playing Sayuri's part here, Mai's shares for 'winning the game' are actually rising... )[/spoiler]As for the use of Pachelbel's Canon (originally from Latin, and there written with "c"... ) in the anime, it's already mentioned in Wikipedia.
He can:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-05, 18:02   Link #69
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
And as for the "I like Sayuri" line, we had subbed it as "I care for Sayuri. I really do. That's why..." as it made the most sense context-wise. I feel that going by "I like Sayuri" or "I love Sayuri" has always been ambiguous, as Yuuichi had also said the same thing in episode 13 with the "Sayuri and I care for you!" line.
I'm a bit surprised to see all this talk about "[...] no koto ga suki"... (not just this post, but all around)

...since as far as I'm concerned this is pretty much always "I love you". AFAIK It's also most often used by guys - it can be considered a bit blunt (but that fits with Mai's personality).

I've only seen Kanon 2006, but it seems reasonable to me that Mai is saying "I love Sayuri. I really do. That's why..." or some such alternative ("I love Sayuri. Because I love her..."). I don't see this as being "love" in some kind of yuri way, but Mai expressing her "tough love" (nobody says "tough like").
Old 2007-01-05, 18:04   Link #70
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I gave it a 9 but not a 10, even tho I wish there are something like 9.5, or even 9.95.
It is excellent, the upper tier of excellent.

My opinion may be biased by my love for Mai Kawasumi, but I felt that everything was near perfect, but what really stood out the most are Sayuri's past and Mai's breakdown scene.
Is it the same person who said "Ni pah"?
My love for Mai arc is going crescendo and I am actually sad to see it going to end on the next one.
Old 2007-01-05, 18:08   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@kari-no-sugata: Agreed... a lot of the discussion was actually meta-"suki" ... how in different anime the choice of words seems to be used inconsistently even allowing for unspoken context.

I also agree with your assessment of Mai's "agape" (greek for platonic "deep" love) versus the wishful thinking of some fan fiction ... but thats a never-ending debate with some and I'd rather not derail into it.

My own confusion over "sayuri-san-no-koto" stemmed from it being late and me just flying with my kana dictionary rather than looking for the kanji and a basic brain fart since my own language teacher has used that phrase in class a few times.
Old 2007-01-05, 18:10   Link #72
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Is it the same person who said "Ni pah"?
yes it is. and also the same person who said "nano" and "fate-chan!!!"
sometimes, you are wondering if the seyuu really have a personal voice or something with such versatile tone and all
Old 2007-01-05, 18:41   Link #73
Meophist

Quote:
you are talking about her reasoning when she was young with her brother (being strict), her talking with the third person, or something else?
In general, I mean. It's a little deceiving watching her, but there's alot of small things that really shows great intelligence. She manages to hide it through her modesty, which is quite an admirable trait.

About the suki/like/love. The biggest problem is that these are very ambigious words with many meanings. What a particular character means when they say these words is dependant on the context. Even then, it can be hard to decipher.
Old 2007-01-05, 19:42   Link #74
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

That was good, but I wouldn't say that was outstanding, or among the best episodes of this series so far. This is less a criticism of KyoAni's execution and more a criticism of the Kanon story in general, but I've always found the Mai arc underwhelming compared to everyone else's. But the fact that they revealed Sayuri's background was certainly welcome and it really defined her character which, like Amano, was relegated to pretty much "plot-device" status in the Toei version. That's purely the advantage of having more time... they can flesh out these side characters properly.

I rewatched the first episode recently, and the difference in quality of animation between that and this was huge. As someone before mentioned, this is KyoAni's first experiment with a full season lenght series (Inuyasha doesn't count, since they didn't produce that, they merely helped with some of the animation) and I've always been slightly concerned that the animation quality wasn't going to remain consistent in the same way they managed to get away with in their shorter series. Sure, it's still excellent, but this isn't anywhere near their best work, visually.

It is good to see that they can do drama (though they proved that comprehensively with the Makoto arc). Truth be told, I was expecting something much worse to happen to Sayuri, though. Plot-wise, this is progressing pretty much exactly the same way as the Toei version, except this time we actually know why the characters made the choices they did, rather than people just suddenly showing up at the wrong place and the wrong time without reason.
Old 2007-01-05, 20:43   Link #75
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
I'm a bit surprised to see all this talk about "[...] no koto ga suki"... (not just this post, but all around)

...since as far as I'm concerned this is pretty much always "I love you". AFAIK It's also most often used by guys - it can be considered a bit blunt (but that fits with Mai's personality).

I've only seen Kanon 2006, but it seems reasonable to me that Mai is saying "I love Sayuri. I really do. That's why..." or some such alternative ("I love Sayuri. Because I love her..."). I don't see this as being "love" in some kind of yuri way, but Mai expressing her "tough love" (nobody says "tough like").
Hence why translating this sort of thing is tough. We could have left it as "like" or "love", but the way "suki" is being used here is still ambiguous anyway. Do you think Mai has the hawts for Sayuri? Maybe in the ero-version *cough* *cough* but this is supposed to be a serious story, right?

If Yuuichi had interpreted that "suki" the way the majority of you did, how would his face look at that moment?
Old 2007-01-05, 21:08   Link #76
Killa_hurtz
THE SousukexKaname Fan

So...is Sayuri an hero, now?
Old 2007-01-05, 21:35   Link #77
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_hurtz View Post
So far she's only a victim. And given the events of episode 14 she has one less option for becoming a hero than she had in Kanon 2002.
Old 2007-01-05, 21:47   Link #78
Killa_hurtz
THE SousukexKaname Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
So far she's only a victim. And given the events of episode 14 she has one less option for becoming a hero than she had in Kanon 2002.
^Doesn't get the joke at all
Old 2007-01-05, 21:48   Link #79
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Three highlights for me.

1) Nayuki waking up at the mere mention of her mom's jam. Man, if the jam can fully awake Nayuki when a bajillion clocks+Yuuichi won't, then the jam must be truly terrible indeed. LOL

2) Sayuri's story. I was in near tears, but not quite. That said, it was still good, though it would be so much better if they showed her to be much meaner in order to lets say, I don't know, maybe for example hint at that her meanness was the cause of her brother's death? It would make for a much better tear-jerker scene, however cliched it might be (god knows how many shows/dramas I've seen using that device), though I don't know if that's actually what transpired in the game so they might have avoided that just to stay true with the source.

3) Mai's berserk mode. Sure it ain't Oyashiro-mode, but I guess that's the closest thing I'll get to in Kanon. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-01-05, 22:37   Link #80
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_hurtz View Post
No, but Mai almost become an hero, if Kyuuichi wasn't there to stop her.
Closed Thread