Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-20, 16:28   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
I am not afraid of death but of dying (does that make sense in english?). I really fear the pain of a long time illness for example.
It makes perfect sense in English, not are you the first one to create that sentence. I also agree. Regardless of what awaits after death, fearing that, even if it is non-existence, is pointless. It is only the pain and fear of this world that we allow to torture us.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:35   Link #62
Shay
Monarch Programmer

If you could choose how you would go, what would it be?

Instant, like hit by a train?

Comfortably in your sleep like wimp? (J/K)

Out of your face on drugs?

Fighting for survival like a warrior? (Not likely, not in our weak period of history)

etc etc

??
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:02   Link #63
Asphyxiate
Blob

Blown up in some horrible lab accident. Quick though, not slow and painful, out with a bang neh.

Or maybe in some catastrophic failure trying to transplant my brain into another body. That would be nice too. (Though I would be ecstatic if it did work)

But most of all...to see some hot fictional guy come right off his sexy pixelated medium so 1) my head would explode from amazement or 2) I'd drown in my own drool.
Asphyxiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:52   Link #64
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
If you could choose how you would go, what would it be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost, two pages before
Now. About how I want to die. (morbid yes, but death is a current reality.) Yes, we have little to no control over how we go (etc walking on the street minding my own business and get mowed down by a drunk-driver) but I can wish. I feel that the noblest way to die is dying for someone you love, or something you believe in. In other words, loyalty I guess.. Loyalty to a cause you believe in (and I dont mean suicide-bombers please...sadly loyalties can lie in the wrong places but lets avoid that discussion), Loyalty to the person you love... I'm a romantic person, dying protecting someone I love is definitely cool!! HAHA. (right... ) But if i'm an old man, incapcitated in bed, well, if i'm satisfied with my life, then thats a good way to go also.
Yeah so if its fast or slow, if I die protecting someone I love or a believe I have then cool.. Highly romanticised on my part but ah well. I would not, however, want to be killed as an unsuspecting victim of a car-accident.

Edit: As long as I can see my death coming I guess. Oh; and have some time to strike a pose too.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 23:44   Link #65
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStrike
i want to go back a few years in time. be a kid forever. im a senior in hs and i look around and the world is going to be a harder place. college doesn't seem like it'll be fun
This doesn't seem like a very death-related post to me.

I liked college way better than high school, personally.

================

I'd rather die painlessly if at all possible, but if not, oh well. Not like it'll affect me afterwards.

In that regard, I suppose I would rather die quickly and not of a long-term illness (that would certainly suck).
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 02:54   Link #66
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Some things about death:

When you die in your bed you sort of phase in and out ... and assured by many not a pleasantn experience.

When you drown your lungs from desperation attempt to breathe the water.

when your heart stops your blood isn't there to supply many important things to your body mainly oxygen.. bleeding to death is similair.

Fact A: we all die..

Fact B: we don't know when or where we are going to die.
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 03:09   Link #67
Roopoo
Roo

Send a message via MSN to Roopoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Fighting for survival like a warrior? (Not likely, not in our weak period of history)

??
I think this sounds more glamorous than it is. Ask all those people fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and all the other number of places where wars are being fought. I think something a little more eccentric would be okay - what about jumping out of a plane to celebrate your 80th birthday and the parachute doesn't open. Now that would be different!
Roopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 07:26   Link #68
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Well, I have a number of ideas on how to dispose of my body after my death (assuming all the stuff in my previous post doesn't occur ), depending on it's severity - if my corpse is relatively young, then I want it embalmed, fixed in the John Travolta from Saturaday Night Fever position and set on a mountain as a monument to idiocy; if it'd relatively old, then I want it, and all my possessions, loaded onto a viking longboat, sent out to sea and ignited, followed by either a 21 gun or a 21 breast salute, whichever is easier to arrange; and if it's damaged heavily, I want it stapled together and hung above my tombstone/tombbrick/tombpebble/tombpavement, with a sign saying "This is what happens to people who make REALLY bad puns" draped around my neck.

But of course this won't happen, as I'll be ruling the universe by then (mwahaha).
Illuyankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:10   Link #69
PaperMagic

My thoughts on death? Simple, a real swift and fast one.....
PaperMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:28   Link #70
Vaines
Imagination's fool

Send a message via MSN to Vaines
I don't understand why people think that necessarily if one is immortal, all the others wouldn't be and the nyou would see everyone die around you. If immortality comes, I'd like to see everyone get it. And considering possible advances in the fields of proteins (finding a way to code what they have to do in order to heal, etc), nanotechnology, cybernetics, etc, it is not entirely a dream, advances have already been made. The biggest problem as always are the cells/body parts that are harder or even currently impossible to regenerate, such as the neurons. I like to see there an opportunity for us to become immortal, all of us who would so wish of course.
Vaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:58   Link #71
Tabris

You know some people say that your life is supposed to flash before you the moment before you die? Then again, how would anyone know, the moment before you die, well, you're dead after that so you can't tell. But back to the point.

Imagine when your life flashed before your eyes, relative to yourself only as this process happened you relived your life, second for second and you'd be in an endless loop caught in the moment when everyone else has moved on.

Someone said quoted it on this page, but dying to save someone I loved, would be totally awesome.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 12:04   Link #72
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
the idea of death and dying is not important to me, but the idea of an afterlife is rather worrying.

just imagine, if there's this heaven of everlasting life, without the sinful desires which is one-half part of human nature (the other half non-sinful). and hell, where people who weren't good enough left to an eternity of torture.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 13:37   Link #73
Dxon
Inactive Member

Death happens. It's necessary. But unwanted. I don't fear death.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 15:44   Link #74
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Mankind searches meaning in life everyday, mankind searches the meaning of death everyday as well. The fact that we do not understand life and are forced into death is humanities' cruel fate. I myself am perplexed by this supposed ultimate destiny of mankind. Is there not so much do in the world? One life in the six billion lives out there is insignificant. Those six billion lives are insignificant in the continuation of space and time. The earth is insignificant in our solar system, our solar system is insignificant to the galaxy, our galaxy is insignificant to the entire universe. It nauseates me to see that people truly accept death as is. I'll never accept this fate.

To live life everyday and see that anything you do is unimportant is morbid. Yes you can try to leave your mark on mankind and be wrote about in textbooks, but existence does not praise you as does man. I cannot honestly believe that anyone has not thought about their place in this great mural we call life. It seems to me that the people who are not afraid of death are those have given up. If given the chance, why not try learn about this great existence?

Immortality is definitely something I would grab if I got the chance. Right now in my life I don't see any point in trying to do anything. Time will not allow me to do anything. All that I like to do is entertain myself with anime, games, movies, books, and sports.

Here's the thing, I believe humanity will claim immortality one day. Downloading your mind to a computer, or placing our bodies in cryostasis, whatever it is I will do it. I want to be the one there when it happens. Towards the end of my life, if my life doesn't end abruptly, my goal is to do anything possible to try and escape death. If we were truly meant to discover immortality and we achieve this, then my endless search of the facts of existence will commence. Until then I shall live my morbid life, maybe find a family to continue my genes, and try to keep myself happy with my daily tasks.

So here's my question for you: If humanity as a whole is able to achieve immortality would you go along with them? In this case, you are not the only one who is immortal, and humans will finally be allowed the opportunity to understand life and perhaps one day, death.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 16:17   Link #75
DarthNicolas
Proud Horo-ist

I'd just love the warrior-type death...
DarthNicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 17:05   Link #76
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Well... I don't want to die but I don't want to be immortal either... so where do I stand??

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 17:51   Link #77
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Well... I don't want to die but I don't want to be immortal either... so where do I stand??
Huh...reincarnation? Well at least that's what I believe in. Though I don't like talking about death, you know I think in life we should just enjoy it and make it the fullest.
Old 2008-01-06, 18:27   Link #78
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Good grief. It's rather morbid to think of how you'd prefer to die at so young a age. In fact, I think it's extremely silly. Most of us haven't even lived enough yet, let alone think of what comes after. It sounds incredibly immature to think about your death when you don't even know what you'd like to do with your life.

I enjoy discussing philosophy like any other person, but sometimes, talk is cheap. All the knowledge in the world is not going to make your imminent passing any easier. The fear of death has always been one of the greatest motivations of human action throughout history. That is not likely to change, no matter how much you deny your fear of The End.

You don't know how much you'd fear, until you fully understand how much you stand to lose.

Experience life first. Death can come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Yuui
I would prefer to be immortal, observing what is to come in future, and being able to absorb every bit of knowledge (and trivia, entertainment, etc.) I could find. However, since I know that is not a possibility, I try to expand my mind as much as possible, if not just for my own amusement.
If futurologists are to be believed, "immortality" is possible within this century. It's no longer a distant pipe dream, apparently, given the advances in genomic research. We may one day be able to literally re-grow our body parts and replace them as they fail. So, it's not just about extending our life expectancies, but also improving the quality of our lives. (Note, "apparently" is the the key word here -- I'm not so sure I trust these futurologists...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Yuui
When my grandfather died (Robert Takayuki Nakasome, may he rest in peace), I didn't cry or have feelings of grief or despair.
When my father passed away of liver cancer, I didn't immediately feel grief or despair. I did not hate my father, but neither were we very close. It's not until much later, until he's gone, that I realised how much I missed him.

So, the initial feeling of "detachment" after losing someone close is normal, I feel. Sometimes, it takes a while for the finality of death to sink in. That's when the grief hits you -- the regrets over things you have not said or told him before he left. Then, the acceptance at last, that such words don't matter as much as what little time you did spend together.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 21:13   Link #79
Kristen
*Author

As a Christian, I really don't fear death, but rather see it as a new beginning. But there's still that doubt.

Immortality would be nice. However, it would only be nice under the condition that you have a form of amnesia where you can only remember the past 60 years of your life. Otherwise, everything would become boring.
Old 2008-01-07, 00:01   Link #80
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Meh, we all have to go sometime, and whether its tomorrow or 50 years from now makes no difference. I only pray I don't become feeble and inept at old age and force my friends and family to suffer through having to take care of me.

I have my faith in God, and that's enough for me.

I don't agree with immortality being nice. There's no reason for people to live forever. It kind of takes away from the beauty and etherality of the shortness of human life. I know that sounds backwards, but I think there's a certain extra significance given to a human life that strives to do something when they can, while they can.

My only fear in death is that I will have made no positive impacts in people's lives. I know that this is probably not true as it is, but it's a personal fear I do hold. Fear of pain? Yeah, who wouldn't be? But that's not something one can control, so I don't worry about it.

Tags
death, existentialism