AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 13:52   Link #221
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

One of the best OP i have seen so far. The design, storyboard, music is hollywood blockbuster level. That alone does it for me for this series

The story does seem very Jason Bourne-ish at first episode.
Old 2009-04-12, 14:57   Link #222
ChocaPik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
Damn this is one awesome episode. Do you think Morita senpai is a terrorist?
Well after all his secret works, it would not really be surprising

Amazing first episode, I was expecting something really good from this show and I'm not disappointed. Can't wait for the next one !
ChocaPik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 16:05   Link #223
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
From looking at the OP, I can't help but wonder if it is a hint about amnesiac guy being a messiah figure, or close to it, or not at all.
As I mentioned before, I think he's supposed to represent Adam more than anything... Although that's not to say that the Gospels aren't gonna come into play here too.

The selecao system, whatever the hell that is, selected 12 individuals. There were 12 apostles. I looked up who the ninth apostle was, and apparently it's James the Less, sometimes known as James the Just. Apparently he was the only one rumored to have been related by blood to Jesus. Some claim he was a cousin or a younger (half) brother, but others say he's just not related at all.

Now let's take this in conjunction with the title, Eden of the East. Apparently, when man was kicked out of Eden, we supposedly went east... Also, Cain had to flee east of Eden when he was kicked out (also, there's a Steinbeck novel called East of Eden, so now I get why someone was referencing Steinbeck further back in this thread). When we first see Akira and Saki, they are outside the White House Garden. Eden was supposedly the center of the world, was it not? I think that White House garden represents the Eden that they can't get into. Thus, they go to the East.

Let's also remember that Akira had the gun, and had his memory wiped. The gun here could be original sin. If we combine the following ideas:
A) Akira represents Adam right after being kicked out of Eden (he is naked but gets clothed)
B) He has a gun, and it seems evident he's sinned/killed before.
C) He's number 9 out of 12, and the ninth apostle may have been related to Jesus.
D) Cain went to the East when he was kicked out after killing Abel, his sibling
...Then my prediction is as follows: I think Akira killed the person who would have been number 1 or 13 (depending on which direction you're counting from), and was kicked out of the organization because of it. That person, number 1 or 13, would have been a Jesus figure, so they may come back. He was then left on his own with a mindwipe after that, symbolizing God not offering all the protection that was previously granted in Eden - but since Juiz still offers cryptic instruction, it's much like Christian theology views God now, as a being that does not walk among us but still guides and aids us.

This is all conjecture, of course... But it'll be interesting to see if I'm on the money with any of this stuff. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Washington monument totally being a phallic reference along with the handgun. I noticed that, when the episode starts, Saki is seen with the Washington monument in the background first, and THEN you see Akira with the Washington monument in the background, with him holding the gun. Remembering that original sin is connected with man's discovery of sexuality, but Eve discovered it first, then it makes sense that Saki would show up there first with the phallic symbol in the background, but that Akira would appear holding his own phallic reference... and... also having his own penis. Eve also led Adam astray in that way... I'm much more confident in the prediction that, sooner or later, someone's going to accuse Saki of leading Akira astray. Foul temptress, with her womanly wiles.
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 16:19   Link #224
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
There, fixed that for you.

I think you missed the joke.
Spoiler for Movie:
No, I didn't. I was trying to be funny... NOW LAUGH BLAST YOU!
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 16:23   Link #225
ChocaPik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
As I mentioned before, I think he's supposed to represent Adam more than anything... Although that's not to say that the Gospels aren't gonna come into play here too.

The selecao system, whatever the hell that is, selected 12 individuals. There were 12 apostles. I looked up who the ninth apostle was, and apparently it's James the Less, sometimes known as James the Just. Apparently he was the only one rumored to have been related by blood to Jesus. Some claim he was a cousin or a younger (half) brother, but others say he's just not related at all.

Now let's take this in conjunction with the title, Eden of the East. Apparently, when man was kicked out of Eden, we supposedly went east... Also, Cain had to flee east of Eden when he was kicked out (also, there's a Steinbeck novel called East of Eden, so now I get why someone was referencing Steinbeck further back in this thread). When we first see Akira and Saki, they are outside the White House Garden. Eden was supposedly the center of the world, was it not? I think that White House garden represents the Eden that they can't get into. Thus, they go to the East.

Let's also remember that Akira had the gun, and had his memory wiped. The gun here could be original sin. If we combine the following ideas:
A) Akira represents Adam right after being kicked out of Eden (he is naked but gets clothed)
B) He has a gun, and it seems evident he's sinned/killed before.
C) He's number 9 out of 12, and the ninth apostle may have been related to Jesus.
D) Cain went to the East when he was kicked out after killing Abel, his sibling
...Then my prediction is as follows: I think Akira killed the person who would have been number 1 or 13 (depending on which direction you're counting from), and was kicked out of the organization because of it. That person, number 1 or 13, would have been a Jesus figure, so they may come back. He was then left on his own with a mindwipe after that, symbolizing God not offering all the protection that was previously granted in Eden - but since Juiz still offers cryptic instruction, it's much like Christian theology views God now, as a being that does not walk among us but still guides and aids us.

This is all conjecture, of course... But it'll be interesting to see if I'm on the money with any of this stuff. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Washington monument totally being a phallic reference along with the handgun. I noticed that, when the episode starts, Saki is seen with the Washington monument in the background first, and THEN you see Akira with the Washington monument in the background, with him holding the gun. Remembering that original sin is connected with man's discovery of sexuality, but Eve discovered it first, then it makes sense that Saki would show up there first with the phallic symbol in the background, but that Akira would appear holding his own phallic reference... and... also having his own penis. Eve also led Adam astray in that way... I'm much more confident in the prediction that, sooner or later, someone's going to accuse Saki of leading Akira astray. Foul temptress, with her womanly wiles.
Wow nice !
But I don't get where this stuff with Cain and Abel will lead us if Akira represents Adam and Saki, Eve.
Old 2009-04-12, 16:46   Link #226
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My assumption has been that "Eden of the East" was a loose translation, and the title was a direct reference to Steinbeck's East of Eden. But who knows - there could be something to all the biblical mumbo-jumbo.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 17:29   Link #227
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, that first episode was sorta.... useless. Too much stupid "ooh, we're copying American mannerisms and namedropping American stuff!" in there. And in the VERY END, they show a trace of real story development with missiles. But it made absolutely no sense in context of anything.

That said, the OP/ED and production values were fabulous. It's weird with anime this season. Lots of amazing production and animation, but storylines are all over the place.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 17:47   Link #228
Thors

You've made a nice analysis, Azure_Peregrine, but, in my opinion, you should add another element to it, the quotation from Julius Caesar by Shakespeare :
Quote:
The abuse of greatness is, when it disjoins
Remorse from power
This quotation is completly in connection with this one "Noblesse oblige". "Noblesse oblige" seem to be a justification for this separation of remorse and power, that is to say, "we are nobles so we act like nobles and we let you starving etc.".

Consequently, a Brutus will appear to end with that !

The story takes place in a world without king (according to the first sec). Nevertheless, there is a "prince", Akira. What can we conclude ? That the "prince" will rise up against a "king" (nonexistent ><), as Brutus did ?

I think the "without king" must be understood on this way : in our world, contrary to the roman empire of Caesar, the power is not in the hands of an only person.

Akira would be a new Brutus in this world ? Bringing hope (a frequent word in the OP) that he will change the world. In that way, he also seems a Jesus seen by jews as a fierce warior able to struggle against romans.

So many faces on Akira's head !

So i don't know what thinking...

And i apologize to you, english is not my mother tongue, you've surely seen it
Thors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:29   Link #229
achirist

I finally watched the first episode, and I really liked it; the animation was amazing, and the story was sort of interesting. The white house is the cesspool of the earth, but nonetheless at the center of political scum. I really, really appreciated seeing 'Morita' naked.

It has nothing to do with christianity or religion, to me.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:38   Link #230
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

I have a question: why does everyone keep calling akira, morita? o.o

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 18:54   Link #231
ChocaPik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
I have a question: why does everyone keep calling akira, morita? o.o
Because Akira [really] looks like a character of Umino Chika's manga : Honey and Clover who name is Morita. Umino Chika is the character designer for Higurashi no Eden.
Old 2009-04-12, 18:56   Link #232
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A few observations:

The various subs translate the conversation between Juiz and the guy in the car in various ways, as well as the conversation between Juiz and Akira. God or savior?

It seems to me that the "noblesse oblige" organization is trying to save the world (or Japan, or something else), and has developed these numbered agents following competitions of some kind (the photo of the naked guys being the competition where Akira won?)

Original Akira definitely can be seen taking off his pants before standing there naked pointing the gun.

The cab driver who delivers Saki has always seemed to me to be enjoying some little private joke. I just thought it was badly acted or directed, but now I wonder if he is in league with the original Akira. He glances to his left: is that into traffic, into the trunk of the car, or at Akira? Maybe he just sees the naked guy.

I wonder if there is something in Saki's background, yet unknown, that would make her a target for Original Akira. Whatever the case, it seems that Juiz and the guy in the car are surprised at how well Original Akira is doing, but shut him down with a tone from the phone before he can shoot whomever.

In the intro, I think Saki is saying that Akira chooses for some reason to sacrifice himself by becoming the prince. From his well-conceived and decisive actions through the episode, we see some of the same ability in Akira that surprised Juiz and car-guy in Original Akira.

I'm thinking that the Noblesse Oblige people are good guys, and they are aiming to bring down a system that feels no remorse in its power. But maybe they're bad guys. We'll see. Are they the "king" or the supplier of princes?

I still have no idea who is lobbing missiles at Tokyo, unless its either Noblesse Oblige or the real secret bad guys.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 19:07   Link #233
Raiga
tl;dr

Whoa, I just noticed that Akira had the foresight to wipe his fingerprints off the pistol before he tossed it through the gate. I was wondering why he was fumbling with the scarf until it hit me just now... I guess his personal memories may be gone but he's still got the instincts and practical thinking of a terrorist/spy, eh?

Also while I also kinda think the same way, the more I consider it the more it seems people are somewhat exaggerating how low security seemed this episode... for one thing, there's no way you're going to be able to throw something large enough to make a significant explosion from the fence all the way to the White House. And while the guards/police aren't exactly gonna be lax with security, there'd be hell to pay if they shot or even injured an innocent civilian, so they're not going to jump to conclusions too quickly.
Old 2009-04-12, 19:35   Link #234
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Why was she trying to toss a coin into the fountain? Any idiot should have known that it was impossible to do from the gate.

That missile attack (Careless Monday) is part of the premise for the series.
Old 2009-04-12, 19:51   Link #235
Raiga
tl;dr

Well she said that the fountain was a lot farther than it looked in the guidebook, but since she came all the way there, she may as well at least try.
Old 2009-04-12, 19:59   Link #236
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
This is the first original anime [not based on manga or well established fanchises] that caught my attention in a long while. I can't wait to see the next episode.

Just when I thought I am finally over anime...
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:00   Link #237
christinemarie
Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
Damn this is one awesome episode. Do you think Morita senpai is a terrorist?
Maybe this is one of the ODD jobs of Morita to gain huge amount of money now that make sense aside from doing the animation thing.

This anime deserves to be included in the Popular Anime Thread. I'll give 9/10 rating for this anime only anime since T.T.G.L that caught my attention at 95%. Additional 5% would be given depends on the upcoming episodes given it is only 11 episodes long and has a movie after the series ends.

"Morita and Hagu" look-alike ending is at hand.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:13   Link #238
Gusatabu
Ganmen? Screw this!

Finally, the first worthwhile series this season. Real and likable characters and not just puppets shouting lines at each other (most likely thanks to the always brilliant Chika Umino). Yep, a definite must see.

While the OP is nice (as many of you mentioned) I beg you to pay attention to the (in my opinion) fantastic ED. If that is entirely handmade (well there’s obviously some computer editing involved, but “cut out by hand”-like handmade) I’m officially amazed. Honey and Clover hade its clever food intro and this is almost on par with that. Nice, and may I say it, sublime.
Gusatabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:20   Link #239
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

looks good, but I saw a naked man... XD

Anyways will look on this anime seems interesting.
Old 2009-04-12, 21:20   Link #240
Calca
Expressionless

Lunar is subbing the show as well.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller