AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-11-07, 09:07   Link #5161
kona~chan
ヘタレ

since saki usually think she start with only 1000 point , it's nice if we can see it for real this time

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 05:23   Link #5162
Peanutbutter

Megan's ability already has an obvious weakness as inferred by Hiroko.

Now awaiting to see how this match will play out.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 00:11   Link #5163
atua

I can't read Japanese, but from the quick look at the raws, Megan's ability reminds me of Toyone's pursuit move. Can someone elaborate on her skill?
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 00:39   Link #5164
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua View Post
I can't read Japanese, but from the quick look at the raws, Megan's ability reminds me of Toyone's pursuit move. Can someone elaborate on her skill?
Spoiler for Hiroko's hypothesis of Megan:
Old 2014-11-09, 02:44   Link #5165
Candle Light

The cowboy thing may be a little cliche', but I still kind of like it. Hard to not love the hats and shawls and guns I guess it's like how we in the west like to attribute ninjas/samurai's to Japanese characters pretty regularly.
Candle Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 03:00   Link #5166
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
If speed is the key then Nodoka is a potentially terrible enemy, since her tenpai proficiency shoots way up in Nodocchi mode, or an ideal enemy, since she follows logic and quick building of hands...In either case Nodoka should be a challenging opponent.

Anyway this is all well and good Megan wise, but I assume there had to have been super serious damage already in place before Megan's round to knock out the other team the year before when she faced off against Ryuumonbuchi and Touka went into cold mode, scaring Megan out of her wits. Cold Touka seems waayyy more powerful than Megan - and most other players out there.

Actually did Megan knock one of the other team's points below zero lastyear or just get quick wins to end the round? I thought it was the former...basically not giving Koromo the chance to play?
Old 2014-11-09, 08:11   Link #5167
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Actually did Megan knock one of the other team's points below zero lastyear or just get quick wins to end the round? I thought it was the former...basically not giving Koromo the chance to play?
It was the former as you thought. Ryuumonbuchi got knocked out before Koromo had her chance. In fact, we're seeing history almost repeating itself in this match, which is what I believed the author planned.
Old 2014-11-13, 03:08   Link #5168
thenightsshadow

And because of pride and the embarrassment from last year, Megan won't take the easy kill and will try to knock off second place further down.
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 20:01   Link #5169
King-Slayer

133 is out
Not much else to say that hasn't been said.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 03:54   Link #5170
Chitanda Eru

At least, new chapter will be released this week and we don't have to wait for another month X__X
About Vice Captain of Usuzan, She said she can riichi 7 times in the old chapter, but Megan has the ability which is quite similar to Toyone. I wonder how can Maya deal with this problem.
And about the don't-care-about-the-others style of Nodoka, I'm afraid of she will make Kiyosumi drop to the last place as she nearly did it in the quarter.
Chitanda Eru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 07:23   Link #5171
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Spoiler for NSFW:

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
Old 2014-11-19, 07:44   Link #5172
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
Spoiler for NSFW:
-_- I saw something there
Old 2014-11-19, 07:59   Link #5173
kona~chan
ヘタレ

the more you expose yourself, the more your mahjong power will increased
nodoka will not down that easily, not after ritz going all out drawn that boobs

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
Old 2014-11-19, 08:22   Link #5174
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Finally caught up with Shinohayu, and I'm loving the new developments. Yue's motives ended as casual as Usuzan, but this latest match could change that.

Also, how cool does that match look?

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Meanwhile, in the main manga, boobs and sultry cowgirl outfits. Sure, Ritz, whatever. I do want to ask, is Megan's ability similar to Toyone's?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 09:40   Link #5175
Sol Falling

You could say Megan's ability bears resemblances to a number of players but my personal view is that it is sufficiently unique.

Basically, Megan's ability plays out like this:
- Until she reaches tenpai, Megan is like a normal player
- Once she reaches tenpai, Megan can detect whether any of the other players are in tenpai. This falls within a range of 'sensory' abilities which is pretty common throughout the cast of Saki, and in fact on a relatively low end of the scale (due to the fact that she has to reach tenpai to activate it). For example, many players (Shiro, and if I recall correctly Satoha) display the ability to detect tenpai without any conditions simply by feeling the flow; a bit further up the scale you have abilities like Mihoko's, which allows her to infer the condition of her opponents' hands even before they reach tenpai, which is basically like saying she can detect their shanten; and then finally you have top-tier sensory abilities like Koromo's, which allow her to detect not only tenpai, but also the value of the resulting hand.
- Outside of her detection ability, Megan's tenpai comes with one other effect: no matter what she does, Megan will almost never play into another person's hand. Practically speaking, you could say that this gives Megan a resemblance to Kasumi (perfect defense) or Momo (never gets ronned). The side effect of Megan never playing in to other people means that she can freely riichi whenever she feels like without fear.
- The hinted explanation for why Megan doesn't riichi immediately is that doing so would cause other players to bail/go into defense mode, (theoretically) reducing her chances to win. (Generally speaking, it's true that riichi reduces win rate but increases value and chances of tsumo.) By waiting until one of her opponents reaches tenpai, Megan increases the chance that at least one of her opponents won't bail, and will therefore be more likely to play into her hand.
- The situation where Megan waits for an opponent to reach tenpai (and thus usually call riichi) and then calls a 'pursuit' riichi is one coincidental resemblance to Toyone, but there is a second resemblance to Toyone as well. Basically, whereas Toyone is guaranteed to win with her pursuit riichi, Megan and her other tenpai player engage in a 'duel'. In this 'duel' Megan has an inherent advantage due to the fact her ability ensures that she will never play into the other player's hand. (Incidentally, note that in the face of two opposing riichis it will be very common for the two remaining players to bail, throwing only safe tiles). The result of this is that the 'duelist' facing Megan is pretty much left with only one way to win: drawing their winning tile themself. Meanwhile, because Megan holds both the possibilities of ronning her opponent or getting a tsumo herself, she has effectively twice the chances to win.
- The fact that Megan is twice as likely to win her pursuit riichis than her opponents is the second point where she somewhat bears a resemblance to Toyone. However, 'twice as likely' is still pretty significantly different from 'guaranteed', and the comparison also ignores Megan's 'absolute defense' aspects. Basically, although the comparison is to some degree valid, I personally wouldn't rely on it too much.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2014-11-19 at 09:53.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 04:32   Link #5176
kona~chan
ヘタレ

- megan 'duel' skill works even when the opponent is damanten, so she not really limited on pursuit riichi, this is actually make you potentially can avoid her as long as you betaori whenever megan call riichi.
and we need to see whatever her skill also works on open hand too, and see what will happen if more than one other players also in tenpai.

but again this is kinda ironic really, since this is pretty much battle who is faster, nodoka with her digital style which put emphasis more on speed should be have good match against megan and yet she still lose, she really should back playing like in vol 1

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
Old 2014-11-22, 00:35   Link #5177
Nihilanth

Now that Senriyama's commenting on this match, one thing I'd be interested in seeing is some of their coach's thoughts on how her daughters are doing. It would also be nice to see the hospitalized Toki and Ryuuka (who's undoubtedly visiting Toki, given that Izumi had to pry her away from the bedside when the time came for her match).
Nihilanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 10:39   Link #5178
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Now that Senriyama's commenting on this match, one thing I'd be interested in seeing is some of their coach's thoughts on how her daughters are doing. It would also be nice to see the hospitalized Toki and Ryuuka (who's undoubtedly visiting Toki, given that Izumi had to pry her away from the bedside when the time came for her match).
I have a feeling Toki would comment on how "comfy" most of the players look. Because Toki's cool like that

Anyway, Ritz made a new post on her blog, and among other things, such as confirming Sae, Kurumi and Shiro are childhood friends, it seems she's saying we'll be in middle school with Shinohayu for a while longer. Honestly, I don't mind, since I do want to see that match
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 23:39   Link #5179
King-Slayer

We're getting an anime short about Achiga. Short adapts comic story about Kuro's birthday for March 18 box. Oh yeah i'm excited.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 23:42   Link #5180
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
We're getting an anime short about Achiga. Short adapts comic story about Kuro's birthday for March 18 box. Oh yeah i'm excited.
Oh ho? Good news.

An anime short though, eh? Any idea about length? And can you link to the source (assuming it is permissable on the forums here) where you heard this?

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri