AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-09-10, 13:42   Link #761
Rizare

The anime is a mixed bag. There are parts where the manga excels, but there are also parts where the anime does better. I wouldn't it as simply one is better than the other, but rather they each come with some strenghts and weaknesses.

That said, this isn't a slow episode compared to previous ones.
Rizare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 13:58   Link #762
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Finally, I much prefer the order of events in the anime than the manga and see no issues with the pacing.
Yeah, enjoy your endless flashbacks.
Also the only thing that anime does better than manga is replacing character development with Taroumaru development/hijinks.

Last edited by Iby; 2015-09-10 at 14:27.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 14:48   Link #763
Hmm....

Now that is unexpected !! Even for a manga reader like myself.

I didn't expect them to reuse content from rainy day event (that was entirely skipped) mixing it in shelter arc together with completely original Taroumaru stuffs. This arc is a three-in-one arc. The good thing is both manga and anime version are different enough that even you finish the anime, it still worth reading a manga for different approach of the story.

It's not strange that Miki is so devastated by Taroumaru. From anime PoV, they always trying to pair two of them together. So that is not surprising. However, if you look at it freom RL moral PoV, I admit, that is terrible of Miki, isn't it ?

I also didn't expect Taroumaru to be the one who start the whole shelter expedition. It's kinda random why he just has to wander there of all place. And right after they read the manual. I also find it a bit odd for Kurumi to has problem with shoveling Taroumaru when she almost did that in episode 1 (I know it's just a joke)

As a manga reader, I think this adaptation made a lot of interesting decision. Some I like. some I don't (but still found it interesting). While I still prefer manga version more (way way more). I think this anime on its own is also entertaining and more importantly unique. I will definitely recommend it to other people (when I fail at convincing them to read manga )
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 14:58   Link #764
IceHism

I think its all the taroumaru stuff that changed things in the anime along with the desire to end on "that" part. Overall, I think its just the tone between the manga and the anime that is most jarring. Development on taroumaru is sort of wasted in the end while the manga likes to move the story which keeps the punch after punch style while mostly creating suspense in small but foreshadowing scenes. The anime seems to have a more calm before the storm structure.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:00   Link #765
Draco Spirit

Great episode, I kinda knew something bad was happening because the pool episode before screamed 'softening the blow' like loads of ammo and medkits in a game screams boss encounter. But still....

They killed the dog....And Miki lost a major connection with a important friend (love interest?) as a result.

The teacher a clear enemy they -must- fight.

Kurumi got bit.

Yuki about to wake up from her fantasy.

Rii looks like she's going to crack... or is hiding a serous illness?

Zombie invasion!

Really heavy episode. I also feel that all the moeness to build up emotional investments is finally paying off, because I care a dam about the cast!
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:09   Link #766
Yamada II

Episode 10
Wow. This was the best episode yet, maine because they focused on the issue at hand instead of wasting time showing cute girls doing stuff.

Mii-kun's story was basically telling us that they're not gonna get a happily ever after ending. Taroumaru reached Megu-nee who turned him into a zombie. She just bit a dog. Sounds weird if you think about it this way. Kurumi didn't know what to do. Kill Taroumaru or not? She goes for the latter and decides to avenge the inu. Then another problem, kill Megu-nee or not? Damn. Poor Kurumi.

Yuuri is also thinking about the remaining girls and considered killing Kurumi so that at least the others stay safe. Mii-kun is out to get some medicine which is supposedly in the basement. But Megu-nee is keeping all the drugs to herself.

Yuki I'd also starting to wake up from her dream. She finally realized that the windows are broken. Took her long enough. Shouldn't she have realised this before? She even closed one of the broken windows in episode 1 I think.

Megu-nee tried to keep her sanity by remembering those girls and she continued to try and write their names even after going zombie.

Now Yuki will probably open that door where she goes to talk to Megu-nee.

They're all gonna die and it's all Megu-nee's fault because she just had to take a bite out of that dog.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:23   Link #767
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
Miki's reaction to Taromaru's death is totally logical and natural if you see the importance he had for her. Of couse she's going to suffer and cry his death more than Kurumi's (who isn't even dead) situation. I feel the people who aren't seeing this are just mixing up the manga the anime in their heads.
Kurumui's situation may not entirely feel "real" yet as she is still alive, even though she didn't see it, the implication for taroumaro was clear enough.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:26   Link #768
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I ask you this: what do you think about the pacing among the last 3 episodes? They built up Kurumi's visit to the basement from the start of episode 8 with a glimpse of Megu-nee in the basement, then spent most of the episode searching for a lock, after which they found important documents that would lead them to the basement. This was a prime opportunity to go straight to the content of episode 10 (like the manga), but the production threw that aside with a (anime original) "pool" episode that did functionally nothing in regards to the basement (or character development), then suddenly the topic changed to the basement again in the next episode. Even if you ignore the manga, this is thematically screwed up. They basically stuck an unrelated filler into the middle of an intense arc.

I strongly suggest you read the manga at some point. If not right now, at least after the anime ends. After reading the manga, you may still like the anime since you watched it first, but at least you'll get some perspective into what important character development was left out, what pointless things were added, and how the anime could have handled things better. What I mentioned in the first paragraph doesn't even begin to touch on what makes the anime inferior.

By the way, I thought episode 10 was good too, but it was only good because the chapter it was based on was fantastic.
Episode 9 (minus the last minute) was the only one where I found it to be a bit slow but I still enjoyed it. I've enjoyed every episode since the first. They're trying to have a normal life and since they're playing along with Yuki the flashbacks and the "normal" life epis were fine to me.

I do plan on reading the manga just waiting for the anime to end since I didnt want to spoil myself to what happened. I highly doubt Ill see the anime as inferior, I dont do that when I read a manga after the anime, I view each as as seperate from each other.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:46   Link #769
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Kurumui's situation may not entirely feel "real" yet as she is still alive, even though she didn't see it, the implication for taroumaro was clear enough.
It's right there in the show how she feels about both:

*Takes Shovel*: I'm borrowing this sempai. *determination*
*Sees feeding dish*: I failed. *despair*

The situation that undermines her self-confidence makes her crack. This doesn't surprise me in any way. She's probably still feeling guilty about Kei, too. Compare her resolve in this episode, to her desire to stay holed up in the flashback episode.

I don't really see this as a Kurumi vs. Taroumaru situation.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 16:00   Link #770
YotsuMaboroshi

Good ep. From the previews (and where Taroumaru is), I don't think Miki's going to be the one that finds Taroumaru next episode... Also, the foreshadowing from Miki's book at the beginning seems really obvious.

As far as Miki's reactions to Taroumaru and Kurumi, she reacted about the same as Rii did to Kurumi initially coming in after being bitten. Miki did visibly react more to being told Taroumaru is dead, but she's also known Taroumaru for longer, has been told he saved her life, and he was a reminder of Kei. Her reaction for Kurumi consisted of her (almost) immediately going back to the emergency manual to see if there was any measure in place for people who are bitten but not zombified yet. She's less obvious about her worry for Kurumi, sure, but I think both reactions fit her anime characterization.

For comparisons between the manga and the anime pacing, the anime seems to be trying to alternate SoL and tension episodes. The manga kind of does this too, but the SoL stuff is generally shorter in the manga due to the format (1 chapter of SoL != 30 min of SoL). The pool episode could probably have been done differently, but it sort of works in the story. Rii used Yuki's suggestion as a way to delay the decision to go down to the shelter so that the decision could be made with clear minds. It's a bit awkward (especially for manga readers), but it does let Rii appear more active in the anime without her actually doing much of anything more than she does in the manga.

The only major characterization changes between the anime and manga so far have been from Miki's backstory (IMO, Miki comes out worse for the changes, Kei comes out better). Taroumaru is effectively an anime-only character, and Megu-nee's extra characterization in the anime was mostly found in omakes in the manga. Yuki/Rii/Kurumi have had additions to their characterization, but pretty much all of their characterization from the manga is still present in the anime. (I'm sure with me saying this people will jump at the chance to point out anything they feel is missing.)
YotsuMaboroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 16:43   Link #771
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Tarumarou was a dear friend and fellow survivor who was holed up for nearly a month or more with Miki, and also the one who indirectly saved her life, so it's not surprising that his loss would have a strong impact on her. Kurumi still has a chance to be saved...but seriously, Tarumarou holds a more special place in Miki's heart after all they went through together. A friend is a friend regardless if they walk on all 4 or two.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 21:11   Link #772
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 10

I must admit that I was quite surprised at how many strong cards were laid out on the table at once in this ep. It seems that this could be a final arc? In that case I am interested to see what they will do with this arc and then see how itfits into the series as a whole.

We'll see.
Old 2015-09-10, 21:18   Link #773
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nooo not Kurumi bloody dog why didnt they just lock the door
Old 2015-09-10, 23:03   Link #774
Wandering Soul

Well if last episode was the calm before the storm, the storm definitely hit this episode. Looks like we are in the final arc. RIP Taroumarou.
Old 2015-09-10, 23:43   Link #775
Eater of All
NOM

It looks like the OP is almost done being transformed.... This episode's version has
1) No Taroumaru catching the bone pre-title
2) A crapton more zombies during the title-pan
3) Taroumaru replaced by a grainy cut of his bowl pre-chorus
4) New zombie Megu-nee cut pre-chorus

ED also changed a little, with Taroumaru now walking with Megu-nee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
Miki's reaction to Taromaru's death is totally logical and natural if you see the importance he had for her. Of couse she's going to suffer and cry his death more than Kurumi's (who isn't even dead) situation. I feel the people who aren't seeing this are just mixing up the manga the anime in their heads.

We must remember that there are 3 groups of people following this anime. (1) The people that got into this series from the original work, (2) the people that got into it from the anime but also decided to read the original work later on, and (3) the anime-only watchers.

Our views about the anime will heavily depend on where we are standing. Personally I'm part of the second group, and I enjoy the anime for what it is despite liking the original work much better. Which happens to be usual situation from people from my perspective.

Whatever your position might be, I do agree that this adaption did a lot questionable changes and that could have worked much better using the original work differently even if they weren't going to faithfully follow it. But this is impossible to know for the ani-only watchers, so there's nothing to do about it.

Either way, this was a great episode. Probably because it was the episode that had the closest atmosphere to the manga and well, a lot of stuff happened after all lol. *prays they will give the anime a good closure with the remaining eps*

p.d. also yes, anime watchers please do give the manga a chance when the anime ends. you won't regret.
Thanks for this. As an anime-only viewer who just finished an episode where several major events happened, I came to the thread to find discussion and not people complaining about shit being different from the holy bible and that anime watchers are somehow enjoying Gakkou Gurashi the inferior way.
Old 2015-09-11, 01:34   Link #776
Boukenxha

SoL episodes are not necessary all fillers. I have enjoyed whole shows that are based solely on SoL. I have only seen the anime but I don't think this show has stretched the SoL more than it should. On the contrary, they have laid out a easy to win over approach by endearing us to the cast including Taroumaru too. As people have pointed out, they have made it at many points to suggest that all is not sunshine under the "happier" moments and that is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
It's right there in the show how she feels about both:

*Takes Shovel*: I'm borrowing this sempai. *determination*
*Sees feeding dish*: I failed. *despair*

The situation that undermines her self-confidence makes her crack. This doesn't surprise me in any way. She's probably still feeling guilty about Kei, too. Compare her resolve in this episode, to her desire to stay holed up in the flashback episode.

I don't really see this as a Kurumi vs. Taroumaru situation.
Well said!

Now back to episode 10. The barricade has been pulled down by the zombies, I don't think the girls can stay there anymore. They will have to make a run for it to the secret basement, where the "final boss" is but less "student" zombies around as they don't know that place. Problem is Kurumi, I winced seeing Yuri pull out the knife that moment. I'm sure they will have disagreement to the idea of abandoning her but she is also a danger to bring along because she could turn anytime. Damn. Also it doesn't look like Miki had left for the basement, even if she did, probably she won't have enough time to make it back with the medicine even if she succeeds in making it to the place alive, with Megu-nee breathing down her neck too. The situation is not looking very good for the girls.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 04:41   Link #777
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Thanks for this. As an anime-only viewer who just finished an episode where several major events happened, I came to the thread to find discussion and not people complaining about shit being different from the holy bible and that anime watchers are somehow enjoying Gakkou Gurashi the inferior way.
I can guarantee you that if I had not read the manga and watched this show blindly, I would still find the focus on Taroumaru overwhelming and the serious-to-SoL-to-serious transition of episodes 8-9-10 to be extremely jarring. The latter in particular is just crap storytelling and the pool episode isn't even that fun to compensate.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 07:35   Link #778
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Damm! Now things are more dire.
Tarumarou now a zombie.
Kurumi get's bitten and has a nightmare about Megu-nee.
Yuri having a breakdown and making a difficult choice to either kill Kurumi before she turns.
Yuki's delusions starting to crack.
And Miki goes to the basement to get the cure while the zombies break in.

Best episode ever!
Plus the OP got more creepy!
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2015-09-12 at 06:11.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 08:29   Link #779
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I kinda wish there is no pool episode and less focus on that dog. We get it that director and screen adapter want to ramp up the feels, but come on...
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 08:50   Link #780
abc0716

So much shock factors on the latest episode. Hope the girls can past the biggest crisis they faced so far safety...
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga time kirara, read the manga, seinen, slice of life, zombie apocalypse