AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-03, 01:02   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Claymore Manga - Japanese Version

Claymore
This is the thread to discuss the Claymore manga being serialized monthly by Shueisha. The purpose of this thread is to allow discussion of the most recent chapters without interruption by English speaking fans who are talking about ancient history that you only think of nostalgically. Remember that this is still an English speaking forum. Even though you are talking about the raw manga, it is good to keep the conversation in English so that a spoiler hungry Claymore fan can learn all he wants to and understand the answers to his questions.

Until recently the discussion of Claymore manga was mixed and contained both the most recent chapters released by Shueisha and the most recent volumes released by Viz. Chaos ensues. If you want to check out the original discussion, you will find it here: Claymore - Manga Discussion Thread

Please discuss the English version released by Viz in the Claymore Manga - Viz's English Version thread.

Update: For Chapter 74-124, each chapter was given its own thread in the now-retired Claymore Sub-Forum. Now that the anime has ended and the sub-forum is retired, discussion is now being funnelled back into this single thread.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-03-02 at 13:36.
Old 2007-05-03, 01:29   Link #2
Key Board
Carbon

SCENE 72 Fading Footprints preview

Spoiler:

also keep in mind that starting SCENE74, Claymore will continue its run on Shounen Jump weekly (read: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and D Gray Man)

I guess that's make Clare and her gang unique since they're the only female protagonist or rather, passable as female protagonist among a sea of male heroes.

let's hope this doesn't cause any pacing problems
Old 2007-05-03, 02:01   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Eh? Chapter 72 is out?

>__>

And yay at the Weekly Jump news. Although I am mildly worried that Yagi may end up pulling a Makoto/Vinland Saga.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-03, 02:20   Link #4
zato_1one

Preview episode 72

http://mj.shueisha.co.jp/claymore/preview.html

Just a preview, it's not against the rule right?

Sigh, I can't read jap.
Old 2007-05-03, 02:32   Link #5
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Eh? Chapter 72 is out?

>__>

And yay at the Weekly Jump news. Although I am mildly worried that Yagi may end up pulling a Makoto/Vinland Saga.
could you.. explain this, sir?
Old 2007-05-03, 02:49   Link #6
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Eh? Chapter 72 is out?
I thought Chapter 72 is already out based on the chapter 72 tidbits you let out. Turns out it's from the preview.

Quote:
Makoto, mangaka of PlanetES and Vinland Saga had to change his serialization of Vinland Saga elsewhere from Weekly Magazine to Afternoon due to time constraints, not being able to draw enough weekly.

If I'm not wrong, Yagi, the mangaka of Claymore had never drawn for a weekly magazine before, so I have worries that the obvious change in schedule may affect his pacing.

I hope that clarifies.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-03, 06:05   Link #7
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:

If I'm not wrong, Yagi, the mangaka of Claymore had never drawn for a weekly magazine before, so I have worries that the obvious change in schedule may affect his pacing.

I hope that clarifies.
Well , does the fact the he switches to a weekly jump means he has to make a chapter every week ?
Well , I heard it was only temporary , so I'm not sure they will make him changes his habit because of where he publishes now .
Old 2007-05-03, 06:27   Link #8
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
Well , does the fact the he switches to a weekly jump means he has to make a chapter every week ?
Well , I heard it was only temporary , so I'm not sure they will make him changes his habit because of where he publishes now .
No. Claymore is still released 1 chapter/month even if it is published in weekly magazine.
Old 2007-05-03, 08:50   Link #9
mosmos
Awakend Of Course

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
SCENE 72 Fading Footprints preview

Spoiler:

whee, irony

also keep in mind that starting SCENE74, Claymore will continue its run on Shounen Jump weekly (read: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and D Gray Man)

I guess that's make Clare and her gang unique since they're the only female protagonist or rather, passable as female protagonist among a sea of male heroes.

let's hope this doesn't cause any pacing problems
Spoiler:

Who knows when will Vol. 72 come out ? Is it the week after their golden week ?
Old 2007-05-03, 12:48   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosmos View Post
Spoiler:

Who knows when will Vol. 72 come out ? Is it the week after their golden week ?
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-03, 13:11   Link #11
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
No. Claymore is still released 1 chapter/month even if it is published in weekly magazine.
You are right ^^

My hope is, as the Weekly sells a lot more than Monthly, maybe Claymore will receive a great popularity boost (not considering the anime)
Old 2007-05-03, 14:59   Link #12
ickem
シェリルの為に!

The thing is, if they actually did decide to make it a weekly instead of a monthly, the art would get quite a bit worse. I don't think that there is any way that the author would be able to keep the same level of quality with 1/4 the time even with 1/5 to 1/3 fewer pages.

Last edited by ickem; 2007-05-03 at 15:12.
Old 2007-05-03, 16:00   Link #13
cajunman380

The thing is, if they actually did decide to make it a weekly instead of a monthly, the art would get quite a bit worse. I don't think that there is any way that the author would be able to keep the same level of quality with 1/4 the time even with 1/5 to 1/3 fewer pages

Actually i would slightly disagree.... weekly yes definately the art would suffer a great deal. Bi weekly though is a different story. The thing is for me its hard to judge the difficulty of the artwork. To be honest though i tend to set the bar too high for myself because i tend to compare claymore with other great works like berserk and fma. Berserk which comes out bi weekly at times has beautiful artwork and plot progression. and fma as well. Claymore is the same thing. it has some beautiful artwork (which we are seeing recently) but the plot on some arcs tend to span several chapters and considering that it takes a month for each chapter to come out, it can wreck the nerves of some people. I dunno its just one of those things to nitpick. Anyway as long as we keep on getting new releases, im happy.

Spoiler for As for the new chapter....:

My hope is, as the Weekly sells a lot more than Monthly, maybe Claymore will receive a great popularity boost (not considering the anime)

Its already getting a great popularity boost. Heck raws for the latest chapters which were hard to find started showing up as soon as the anime was airing. The fact that its one of the few stories with kickass female leads also helps it greatly. lets see how it does.
Old 2007-05-03, 16:32   Link #14
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Yeah, I know exactly how bad it is to wait for new monthly chapters...I first picked up Claymore right after the tank of volume 1 first came out. 5+ years of waiting for monthly chapters is really tries one's patience. Having it as a bi-weekly would be nice, but I'm still not sure about the quality of the artwork if that were to happen. I don't think it's fair to compare Berserk with Claymore since they're from different authors and we can't really expect Claymore's author to match Berserk's author in speed.

I'm glad that more people are getting interested in Claymore, though. It's much more interesting where there are other people to throw theories around with.
Old 2007-05-03, 18:30   Link #15
Key Board
Carbon

Galatea's ability is actually quite unique

she can manipulate the youki of her opponent, and thus, their actions

the only other character with this ability was that awaken in the north campaign
Old 2007-05-03, 19:07   Link #16
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Galatea's ability is actually quite unique

she can manipulate the youki of her opponent, and thus, their actions

the only other character with this ability was that awaken in the north campaign
Ahaha, yeah, I remember being blown away when I saw her use that technique. I don't really understand japanese, so when I realized she was manipulating that Awakened One's movements in the raw I was blown away. At first I thought she was just stronger, faster, and superior to Clare at predicting movement by reading the flow of yoma power.

Miata is strange though. I have to wonder what the true goal of the Organization is, when they have such unstable Claymores. Aren't they just asking for Claymores to kill humans and/or turn into Awakened Ones by letting such crazy Claymores live? It makes no sense.
Old 2007-05-03, 19:25   Link #17
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
have to wonder what the true goal of the Organization is, when they have such unstable Claymores. Aren't they just asking for Claymores to kill humans and/or turn into Awakened Ones by letting such crazy Claymores live? It makes no sense.
I think that like Teresa once suggested it back then , they make Youma , send them to kill people in town so that the towns pay them to send claymores .
It's a nice way of making money ...and soon they will want to wage wars by selling powerful awaken ones to country leaders , a thus make even more money and soon they'll control the world .
oh wait...I think i heard that plot somewhere before...but ..where ? :P
Old 2007-05-03, 19:32   Link #18
Grey

Quote:
I think that like Teresa once suggested it back then , they make Youma , send them to kill people in town so that the towns pay them to send claymores .
It's a nice way of making money ...and soon they will want to wage wars by selling powerful awaken ones to country leaders , a thus make even more money and soon they'll control the world .
That...makes a lot of sense actually. Ever since Clare, Denev, Helen, and Miria's first encounter with the Awakened One, I began thinking that the Organization was not just a special group of guards/hunters. I may have thought the organization was selfish and sneaky, but not that it was behind the yoma existence completely.

Very interesting.... I've always wondered how yoma came to exist--maybe they're humans mutated by the Organization. And the entire Yoma/Claymore/Awakened One situation is just one big experiment to them.

That's freaky, but could explain a lot. Heck, the situation might eventually become: renegade Claymores and Awakened Ones versus the Organization's Claymores (and Awakened Ones?).

Veeery interesting.
Old 2007-05-04, 09:28   Link #19
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

I came up with a theory about Maita. So she's supposed to have the potentail to become stronger than Alicia right? Well the thing that makes Alicia so very powerful is that she can be turned into a controlable awakened, and then back. She does this by having Beth take care of her mind right? Well my theory is that Maita is an attempt to refine this system. She seems to have some serous mental issues. So what if one of thoese issues is multiple personalities. She could be like the Hulk. Normal Claymore form with one persoanity, but an awakened with the other. Well right now it's just a theory. I'll have to wait and see If I was anywhere near the mark.
Old 2007-05-04, 10:30   Link #20
Seska

Quote:
Spoiler:
Closed Thread