AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-07-23, 18:50   Link #1
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Non-Japanese, Non-American Animation

Right now Animation is dominated by America and Japan, and most of us are very familiar with both of these given this is an Anime forum. However I'm all always on the lookout for promising titles from elsewhere, and maybe we can share our knowledge with each other. To aid the process I've included some clips of the sort of stuff that's on offer out there.

So far the most promising non-US/Japanese titles I've seen have been:

Brendan and the Secret of Kells:

Impressive as a debut effort from a multinational group headed by an Irish studio(cartoon saloon). The plots a bit thin on the ground, and acting could probably be improved, but the visuals are beautiful.

Song of the Sea:

Same group as Kells, the trailer looks even nicer then Kells, looking forward to it.

Triplets of Belleville:

French, of course, this is a pretty classy movie. Stylistically it's very reminiscent of older stuff, and a lot of visual humour (there must be only 5 or 6 lines of dialogue in the whole film!). It also features a lot of weirdly proportioned people and things, but it all comes off quite well.

There seems to be a fair amount of animation being produced on the continent, with the nexus being in and around France. Generally they seem to heavily use Flash Animation techniques, with an often "flat" look, similiar to Shaft. I'm only just getting started looking into these other animation titles, and I'd certainly appreciate pointers and discussion on this other Animation we don't usually get much exposure to.

As a bonus, here's a french student film that won an award at the Tokyo Anime Fair.

Smart WW1 allegory (note the borders at the beginning and end, and that the Black Eagle is a symbol of Germany.

So please post your own finds, and thoughts on non-japanese/american animation. The most obvious region for developping animation is the aforementioned "french centered" group, but I'd be intrigued to hear about the efforts from other places. The only unfortunate thing is that much of what other countries produce (and most of the french stuff) is low quality kiddy fair.

There's a few other obvious ones (EG Persepolis) that I didn't go over, largely because I haven't seen them.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 18:53   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Korean anime fit into this category?

If so, I thought Yobi the Five Tailed Fox was very well done.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:09   Link #3
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Korean anime fit into this category?

If so, I thought Yobi the Five Tailed Fox was very well done.
I'd include Korean stuff yeah, obviously Korea has a lot of talent, but rarely seems to be able to transform that into anything really great. It's probably something I should check more into. Thanks for the tip. There's also "My beautiful girl Mari" which actually seems to share a director with yours!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 00:34   Link #4
Tetra Vaal
Banned

If we're talking about Korean anime, all I have to say is: 'Robot Taekwon V.' I love that show.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 01:46   Link #5
james0246

Should this be in the Suggestion sub-forum?

That being said, here's a brief list of great foreign animation (that I could remember in the past 5 minutes):

(In no particular order, though I like all the films I've listed)
Cat City (Hungarian)
Mary and Max (Australian...the director also has a few amazing short films)
Dunderklumpen (Swedish)
Persepolis (French)
Waltz with Bashir (Israeli)
Adventures of Tintin (French/Canadian)
Granpa (British)
Felidae (German)
Kirikou and the Sorceress (French)
Vuk - the little fox (Hungarian)
My Beautiful Girl, Mari (S. Korean) edit: this seems to have already been mentioned...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-07-24 at 01:57.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 03:06   Link #6
amyotaku

I don't like it.
amyotaku is offline   Reply With Quote