AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-12-22, 12:10   Link #61
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsu-Kun
AnimeRev is one such group that seeds their releases without hacked machines. How? I do it personally from the Nandayo server, I do it for lots of groups including Lunar, AREV and more. Not all things are hacked or rooted as some people seem to think.

Some people still pay for stuff to serve, Nandayo pay for a server on a 100MBIT port burstable to 1GBIT. So stop assuming ALL things are hacked or rooted.

NenMaster, 10MBIT server on a P4 2.4GHZ serve from TMS (High Quality Datacenter Which Uses HE.NET, Not Cogent Which Is The Worst BW Known To Man) is only $399 a month. I can get cheaper as well if I look around, it's not hard.

Please, don't make animerev out to be some wonder group. And it's not like arev needs any super fast distro means. You sub only things other groups are doing,and have been doing for sometime now. When you do something original that sets you apart from others maybe you will need faster means of distrobution.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:39   Link #62
NenMaster

Quote:
AnimeRev is one such group that seeds their releases without hacked machines. How? I do it personally from the Nandayo server, I do it for lots of groups including Lunar, AREV and more. Not all things are hacked or rooted as some people seem to think.

Some people still pay for stuff to serve, Nandayo pay for a server on a 100MBIT port burstable to 1GBIT. So stop assuming ALL things are hacked or rooted.

NenMaster, 10MBIT server on a P4 2.4GHZ serve from TMS (High Quality Datacenter Which Uses HE.NET, Not Cogent Which Is The Worst BW Known To Man) is only $399 a month. I can get cheaper as well if I look around, it's not hard.
ok 400 bucks, i aint looked at hosting prices in a few months

100mbit costs the average person 4k amonth, he must be getting a deal or someone is providing it to him for free.
if he pays it out of his pocket and doesnt get donations then, hmm, then [insert cuss words] :P
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:42   Link #63
Octiron
Channel idler

Ever heard of a data center?

Most people don't have high-connection connections running into their living room, they rent a server in a facility with a high-speed connection.
Octiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:50   Link #64
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Ev1Servers (Formally Rackshack)
CPU - Intel Dual Xeon 2.0
RAM - 1GB
HDD - 3x 73GB (R5)
Transfer Per Month - 1.2TB
Port - 100MBIT
cPanel /w Redhat
Setup Fee - $1
Monthly Fee - $359

Server Matrix (Part Of The Planet)
CPU - 1.7 GHz Celeron
RAM - 512MB RAM
HDD - 80GB
Transfer Per Month - 1TB
Port - 100MBIT
Redhat/FreeBSD
- $49 Setup / $79 Month
- $99 Setup / $59 Month

FDC
- MIDTOWER or rack up to 4U
- BGP4 Multihomed connectivity to
- XO internet backbone
- YIPES internet backbone
- COGENT internet backbone
- 100Mbit port
- 10Mbit unmetered connection
- Extra traffic FREE !!!
- FREE IPs (arin rules)
- FREE reboots
- UN-METERED bandwidth
- no overage charges
- FREE SETUP
- FREE CPANEL control panel

Price : $149/month/per server

I know there are lots of other places like Equinix that do things like this, can't be assed to look for now. Hell even Nocster give you 1TB a month on a 100MBIT port for $100 a month on a fairly respectable server (Above average spec)
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:52   Link #65
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

That Ev1Servers deal is looking pretty nice actually, so's the SM one.

I might get me another server to backup Nandayo.

Quote:
Please, don't make animerev out to be some wonder group. And it's not like arev needs any super fast distro means. You sub only things other groups are doing,and have been doing for sometime now. When you do something original that sets you apart from others maybe you will need faster means of distrobution.
I'm not, they were an example. How about Nandayo then? We release files alot larger then any .AVI file and we distro them solely from our place, 95% of people I have spoken to have reached their max speed at that time. Lunar for instance on a KGNE release day, sees my server spike to a few thousand KBPS.
Old 2003-12-23, 17:57   Link #66
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

ALL HAIL JAPPI!!!

Is this turning to a distro guide topic?
Old 2003-12-23, 18:00   Link #67
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Not yet AST.. it's coming though. ;P

I might post a list of reliable places which offer cheap servers so people can distro.

1TB from Nocster for $100 a month, 100GB for $39 a month usually. I could get people better deals if they ever wanted though from a variety of providers.

^_^
Old 2003-12-25, 22:12   Link #68
NenMaster

Quote:
Ev1Servers (Formally Rackshack)
CPU - Intel Dual Xeon 2.0
RAM - 1GB
HDD - 3x 73GB (R5)
Transfer Per Month - 1.2TB
Port - 100MBIT
cPanel /w Redhat
Setup Fee - $1
Monthly Fee - $359

Server Matrix (Part Of The Planet)
CPU - 1.7 GHz Celeron
RAM - 512MB RAM
HDD - 80GB
Transfer Per Month - 1TB
Port - 100MBIT
Redhat/FreeBSD
- $49 Setup / $79 Month
- $99 Setup / $59 Month

FDC
- MIDTOWER or rack up to 4U
- BGP4 Multihomed connectivity to
- XO internet backbone
- YIPES internet backbone
- COGENT internet backbone
- 100Mbit port
- 10Mbit unmetered connection
- Extra traffic FREE !!!
- FREE IPs (arin rules)
- FREE reboots
- UN-METERED bandwidth
- no overage charges
- FREE SETUP
- FREE CPANEL control panel

Price : $149/month/per server

I know there are lots of other places like Equinix that do things like this, can't be assed to look for now. Hell even Nocster give you 1TB a month on a 100MBIT port for $100 a month on a fairly respectable server (Above average spec)
u are wrong

thats a 10mbit line, it has a 100mbit network card in it, so it can go upto 100mbit.

u think u will get the other 90mbs for free?

what happens when u use ure 1.2gb in 20 days? u gonna use another 1.2gb for free? NOPE
you will probally get charge with the 95th percentile billing, then u are fucked, if u peaked above youre 10mbs alot

also those servers where u get 100mbit pipe, u think they will give 100mb direct connection to every customer?
you are probally on the line with another 100 customers all trying to rape the fucker to get the most bandwith

look at the systems, they put loads of hdds in on purpose, to fuck you up when u transfer to much

instead of getting a ded server with 100mbit card in it, ask them to put it down to 10mbs so u dont end up getting charged 95th percentile

What exactly is the 95th Percentile?

The 95th percentile is a mathematical calculation widely used to evaluate the regular, sustained utilization of your Internet connection. The reason this statistic is so useful in measuring data throughput is that it gives a very accurate picture of the cost of the bandwidth. The 95th percentile says that 95% of the time, your usage is below this amount. Just the same, the remaining 5% of the time, your usage is above that amount. The 95th percentile is a good number to judge how much bandwidth you are actually utilizing and helps filter out usage spikes.

this is only good to the provider, u use 10mbs contant for days then peak to 60mb for some days u pay 60mb prices, probally at 60 bucks a (this is cheap from last time i looked) MB, so it will be $400 for server and 10mbs + $3000 for 50mbs at $60 a MB = $3400)

now do u see why people hack
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 08:04   Link #69
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

I know exactly whay 95th percentile is, there's no need to lecture me. I use a set amount of transfer since I can buy more when I need it, to a set amount. I've gone way above 10MBIT in the past on multiple servers with those people and have yet to encounter any problems.

Quote:
thats a 10mbit line, it has a 100mbit network card in it, so it can go upto 100mbit.

u think u will get the other 90mbs for free?
Already have. Oh', and it must suck if you've been providers who seem to give you 100:1 true contention on a 100MBIT line. The FDC is 10MBIT, I was merely including that for show.

Quote:
look at the systems, they put loads of hdds in on purpose, to fuck you up when u transfer to much
You are seriously retarded.

One is used to store the actual files that you plan on utilizing, one is used to backup and the other drive can be used for storage of unneeded files.

They don't put them in to force you to use your transfer as you seem to think. Most dedicated server providers on set transfer, also provide additional transfer at a set price - Not at the 95th percentile terminology which is used with "unmetered connections" in some cases. Anyone who has common sense, will go with someone who won't charge them 95th percentile.

And half of your typing doesn't make sense, try to rearrange it. You still seem positive that EVERYONE hacks. They don't, so get over it.
Old 2004-08-18, 13:01   Link #70
Malnilion

Hrmmmm, I'm surprised nobody has made the argument for dvd ripping groups that they allow people to kind of find out whether or not they like a series before they buy it. For example, I know that it's illegal to download these animes, but why the hell would I want to spend the (somewhat excessive) amount just to see an anime for the first time and then later find out that I really don't like it as much as I thought I would. I don't know about other people, but I decide that if I don't like a series, it will be deleted. If I decide that I really like a series however, later I will buy it and then obviously delete it from my computer. I know what I'm doing is illegal, but I honestly intend to delete it all one day and buy some of it.

Now, to be on topic a bit for this post. I think hacking computers no matter what is wrong. However, people should not be so stupid to leave themselves open to such attacks.
Malnilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 18:04   Link #71
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malnilion
Hrmmmm, I'm surprised nobody has made the argument for dvd ripping groups that they allow people to kind of find out whether or not they like a series before they buy it. For example, I know that it's illegal to download these animes, but why the hell would I want to spend the (somewhat excessive) amount just to see an anime for the first time and then later find out that I really don't like it as much as I thought I would. I don't know about other people, but I decide that if I don't like a series, it will be deleted.
That is vaguely a useful excuse to justify doing what you will do regardless. Of course it doesn't begin to justify either ripping or downloading of episode 3 and higher. There's no reason you need to see more than 2 episodes of a show to decide if you are going to buy it. Of course it is just a sophistry because you can usually get a taste of a show by renting it from a video store. If the video store near you doesn't have it then you just need to check out a few more. There's an awful lot of anime in video stores these days.

I'd suggest that you stop trying to make excuses and just admit that you're doing something wrong. Unless, perhaps, you can honestly say that you've never downloaded episode 3 of a show?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 18:13   Link #72
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malnilion
Hrmmmm, I'm surprised nobody has made the argument for dvd ripping groups that they allow people to kind of find out whether or not they like a series before they buy it. For example, I know that it's illegal to download these animes, but why the hell would I want to spend the (somewhat excessive) amount just to see an anime for the first time and then later find out that I really don't like it as much as I thought I would. I don't know about other people, but I decide that if I don't like a series, it will be deleted. If I decide that I really like a series however, later I will buy it and then obviously delete it from my computer. I know what I'm doing is illegal, but I honestly intend to delete it all one day and buy some of it.

Now, to be on topic a bit for this post. I think hacking computers no matter what is wrong. However, people should not be so stupid to leave themselves open to such attacks.

Oh please. DVD ripping groups are only doing it so they can tell people how l337 they are.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 20:10   Link #73
Access

What's the big deal? Groups have done much worse, social engineering, infiltration, character assasination, propaganda, this technical hacking stuff is child's play compared to what's gone on in the past. If you were there when back when the total groups numbered less than 20 you'd know this is nothing new. People babble about the 'scene' and whine on and on about the way they perceive things to be -- if you don't like it don't waste your time with it and don't hang around it, simple common sense.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 13:31   Link #74
LordFate
Y.B.A.S.T. - A.W.O.L.

Here's how I see the problem. This is not so much a problem of illegal vs. legal because just by subbing and distroing anime we've all become international pirates. So, the question becomes, where do you draw the line? I personally refuse to root people because (1) It's my job at my school to track down and unroot computers, and I really don't feel like giving myself more work to do, and (2) rooting has more of a negative effect on the lives of others than subbing anime does.

The computers that I find rooted on my edu are scanning 1.8 million remote hosts per day or more. They're transfering at least 8 gigs a day in upload. They're easy to spot in our ip logs. But what's also easy to see are the computers that are connecting to these rooted pc. We could send a list 1,000 of ip's to the FBI each month, but we don't. Most of the people connecting to those computers are just the innocent anime lovers who want to watch shows they otherwise wouldn't get to see.

As for the rooters themselves, most aren't smart enough to mask their ip, and many will just go sequentially through a couple hundred subnets in their attempt to find a valnerable machine.

The reason I oppose rooting is (1) you as a rooter expose yourself to get caught way too easily, (2) the people who are rooted often find their computers so over-used that they waste their deptarment's (or own) money buying a new computer when they simply could have run a virus scan windows update. How would you feel if you knew that your root prevented the payroll of a college from running a backup of their files before a data loss occured?

As for rooting itself, it's easy. I have no qualms with calling the people who do it rooters because it's not a very prestegious title. Hacker on the other hand I won't even dignify them with because these are people who not only don't know how to program, but don't even understand the valunerabilities they are exploiting to get control of these machines.

I would include resources on how it's done, but I know it would be abused.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=19224 is a quick guide on keeping yourself safe
LordFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 13:55   Link #75
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFate
rooting has more of a negative effect on the lives of others than subbing anime does.
the people who are rooted often find their computers so over-used that they waste their deptarment's (or own) money buying a new computer when they simply could have run a virus scan windows update. How would you feel if you knew that your root prevented the payroll of a college from running a backup of their files before a data loss occured?
I'll partly agree with this. Many of the machines I see rooted are rooted by inconsiderate greedy script kiddie types, and that type usually uses the resources indiscriminately (I'd say your 8gb/day estimate is a little low of the mark from what I've seen, but maybe your network is slower than the ones I've seen these things happen to). Most "hackers" in the (anime, music, movie, warez) distribution world are in that category really, and have a basic skillset that revolves around the ability to follow instructions given to them by someone else and use tools written by someone else. A lot of them don't try to gain any sort awareness of what's going on on the machine.

On the other hand, these trivial exploits that people are using to get bots are often either incredibly stupid configs (blank or easily guessed administrator password is the biggest one), or incredibly unpatched machines (I still see dozens of scans for nachi and blaster and code red 2 per hour, for which there is NO excuse). Bad system administration (not keeping up on patches or not finding update solutions for their users that work) enables this stuff to happen, and as of right now is the only time I know of it happening. Nobody uses anything more complex than the basic skillset of a script kiddie: point a vuln scanner at an ip block and let it go.

If that keeps the payroll processing batches from running, or breaks someone's backup setup, I have to wonder "who in the hell is supposed to be maintaining those critical systems and why do they still have a job". Seriously.

Good system administration practices, good network awareness and good security policies will stop 100% of these kiddies at the door. They're not "determined intruders", they're scavengers looking for a computer that's an easy meal, that's basically already dead in the water. Take away the trivial exploits and they won't even look at your system twice.

Not saying that the kiddies are right ... just that they shouldn't be able to damage important operations.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 04:49   Link #76
cagz
Distro

Hmm this is a somewhat interesting issue to me. I am also a part of (LEGIT) distro for a couple of groups, whilst i don't condone the use of rooted boxes, I do see the benefits of them. That said, i believe they will soon be a thing of the past.

Network Administrators of high speed networks are becoming much quicker at identifying and removing rootkits, making the "hacked" boxes redundant very quickly, however with that there is always some exceptions, hackers also get smarter (I can tell you that because I know some who do it).

Don't forget that the boxes have to be able to be compromised in the firstplace for a rootkit to be installed, if anything OS makers are to blame for making a system so vulnerable and not having a default policy that locksdown your system.

Anyway i'm getting to the point, with the implentation of SP2, constant updates and hardware firewalls built into routers as well as software firewalls the amount of boxes able to be "rooted" SHOULD (if MS Security Techs do there job) become increasingly rare, however you will have those silly home users with no idea about security on there pc who are on fast exploitable connections.

Another thing tho, throughout European countries like norway, sweden, finland, netherlands they have 10mbit/100mbit connections at home, as do asian countries like korea and japan, even australia should have adsl2 by next year and with verizon in the usa soon to trial fibre to the premises the need for hacked boxes will become much less of a demand, you will see home users be able to host there own bot's (if they really want to) and the speed of bittorrents should also increase greatly.

Perhaps tho i'm getting ahead of myself. I guess tho you could say i'm really sitting on the fence about this issue for now.
cagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 04:56   Link #77
cagz
Distro

Oh there is one thing i forgot to mention.

The four bots i do run do a very large amount of traffic, 60TB in about 9 months so far since I started.
If an Admin doesn't notice just one bot (on average about 600GB a week) HE IS VERY STUPID AND SHOULD NO LONGER HAVE A JOB!
This amount of traffic coming from one machine on your network should be BLATANTLY obvious.
:fingers:
cagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 12:45   Link #78
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagz
Oh there is one thing i forgot to mention.

The four bots i do run do a very large amount of traffic, 60TB in about 9 months so far since I started.
If an Admin doesn't notice just one bot (on average about 600GB a week) HE IS VERY STUPID AND SHOULD NO LONGER HAVE A JOB!
This amount of traffic coming from one machine on your network should be BLATANTLY obvious.
:fingers:
So let's see... some kid at school who knows nothing about computers but needs a computer to do work for school anyways gets his box compromised. Some annoying people set up a server on his box and voila, he starts blasting the network. Some admins find out, shut off his internet connection and also sends him to the administration for a talk about 'distributing illegal materials.'
If the admin didn't find out, he ends up flooding the uplink pipe, causing everyone else's legitimate transfers to slow down.
It doesn't matter if the admin finds out or not, rooting a box can make the life of the person whose box got rooted or the people around him VERY annoying. Just because some car door is left ajar in the parking lot does not mean you have a right to steal the car.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 20:18   Link #79
Joker-kun

This is no surprise, I really dont think it needed a topic, alot of people know this.

It's pathetic how corrupt irc and fansubs have become, its for sure lost its true meaning.

Last edited by Joker-kun; 2004-08-23 at 20:28.
Joker-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 20:59   Link #80
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-kun
This is no surprise, I really dont think it needed a topic, alot of people know this.

It's pathetic how corrupt irc and fansubs have become, its for sure lost its true meaning.
What do hacked boxes and the true meaning of fansubbing have incommon here to discuss? That it was more "noble" back then when distribution was done via mail?
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote