AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 16:08   Link #221
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That's a dead-end, and you know it. They're in a timeloop, and have only made changes that would allow them to continue showing loops without novel readers knowing when it was going to end. It's pretty essential to the concept they're pulling off. It's faithful except to the extent that being faithful would preclude them from keeping the surprise factor that they clearly wanted, so I'm not sure how to measure that "fault".

And so...?

I'm not trying to defend this as some sort of inspired move that's without parallel, or was the best of all the options they could have chosen. None of us know why they did this. I'm just saying that I have my doubts about the long-term consequences of this move. They obviously felt they wanted to re-air the show and add some new content. What they added was one new episode and this looping story arc, which had the effect of messing with the audience. Could they have sold more DVDs if they had just done what everyone wanted? I don't know... maybe? probably? possibly? Who knows... Will the show sell as well when they do eventually do what people want? Will there be a noted drop in DVD sales for the next season that's as a direct result of Endless Eight? Will said drop be significant enough to have any impact whatsoever on the future of this anime franchise? In all cases, we'll see. We're just playing armchair CEO here, and we don't have enough information or experience to make actual judgement calls.

My feelings on this are the same as Kaisos Erranon's. They've botched this up to such a degree that I'm no longer confident that we're even going to see more Haruhi anime after this season... not by this anime studio anyway.

JC Staff has its faults, but I'd like to see what they could do with Haruhi. That's honestly how I feel right now.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:12   Link #222
Darkblaze

is it over?!
Old 2009-07-23, 16:12   Link #223
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
JC Staff has its faults, but I'd like to see what they could do with Haruhi. That's honestly how I feel right now.
Ugh, not JC Staff... they only work with a particular style of show, and Haruhi is not one of those.

Besides, they don't have the production quality.

Just give it to Yamakan, Studio Ordet, and A-1 Pictures. A director and studio that cares.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:14   Link #224
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm sure that this is exactly what they are doing.

So no, I don't think we'll be seeing a real S2 or that tenth novel, ever.
Kadokawa doesn't own the novels. They own the license for the franchise outside the novels. The novels themselves are still (and shall always be) the author's.

The blame for the novel delay is very likely to be all on him.

Edit: I don't currently trust A-1 Pictures for adaptations. At all.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:17   Link #225
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Ugh, not JC Staff... they only work with a particular style of show, and Haruhi is not one of those.

Besides, they don't have the production quality.

Just give it to Yamakan, Studio Ordet, and A-1 Pictures. A director and studio that cares.

I'm a big fan of a lot of JC Staff properties (most notably Shakugan no Shana) but to each their own.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:19   Link #226
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Kadokawa doesn't own the novels. They own the license for the franchise outside the novels. The novels themselves are still (and shall always be) the author's.

The blame for the novel delay is very likely to be all on him.
Wrong. Kadokawa publishes the novels, too.

Tanigawa likely has no say in what they do with what he's written.

Quote:
Edit: I don't currently trust A-1 Pictures for adaptations. At all.
Technically, Ordet would just be using A-1's manpower, like they did with Kannagi. Don't think of Valkyrie Chronicles as an indication of what a Haruhi adaptation would be like.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of a lot of JC Staff properties (most notably Shakugan no Shana) but to each their own.
Exactly. Shana is quite a bit different from Haruhi.

JC Staff could not do this show justice in the least.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:20   Link #227
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Just keep in mind that, should a different studio get their hands on the franchise, they'll most likely start over from the beginning, whether they actually have to or not.

In other words, you'd probably end up waiting even longer for actual new material than you would if Kadokawa and KyoAni retained the rights.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-23, 16:21   Link #228
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Just keep in mind that, should a different studio get their hands on the franchise, they'll most likely start over from the beginning, whether they actually have to or not.

In other words, you'd probably end up waiting even longer for actual new material than you would if Kadokawa and KyoAni retained the rights.
I don't recall that happening with Full Metal Panic...
Old 2009-07-23, 16:24   Link #229
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
My feelings on this are the same as Kaisos Erranon's. They've botched this up to such a degree that I'm no longer confident that we're even going to see more Haruhi anime after this season... not by this anime studio anyway.
That really has no logic to it. Why would the producers, who have clearly been in on this joke for a long time, turn on Kyoto Animation and make them the scapegoat for this apparent failure, especially after their long history of collaboration? Too much drama...

Let's try to bring this back on topic and not get into an entire tangent about which other studio should animate future seasons of Haruhi. That has nothing to do with this episode.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:29   Link #230
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I'd go for the cake and ice cream. I'm genuinely interested in knowing how they came up with this idea in the first place. I'd love to hear the whole story at some point, not that I think it'll ever be exposed...
I wanna know too.

Why, they could even inlclude it in the DVD's as a "behind the scenes" extra or something.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:29   Link #231
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
That really has no logic to it. Why would the producers, who have clearly been in on this joke for a long time, turn on Kyoto Animation and make them the scapegoat for this apparent failure, especially after their long history of collaboration?
Why not?

Logic isn't a factor here anymore. If they operated on any kind of logic, we wouldn't be having seven episodes of Endless Eight.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:30   Link #232
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
That really has no logic to it. Why would the producers, who have clearly been in on this joke for a long time, turn on Kyoto Animation and make them the scapegoat for this apparent failure, especially after their long history of collaboration? Too much drama...

Let's try to bring this back on topic and not get into an entire tangent about which other studio should animate future seasons of Haruhi. That has nothing to do with this episode.
I'm not saying that I expect to see another anime studio get Haruhi. I'm saying that I'm at a point where I'd honestly welcome it.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:32   Link #233
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Why not?

Logic isn't a factor here anymore. If they operated on any kind of logic, we wouldn't be having seven episodes of Endless Eight.
There are clearly things about this we can't see... reasons for doing these things that aren't released to the public. Logic, however, may turn out to be the reason why they do drop KyoAni like a bad habit. We just don't know.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:35   Link #234
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Why not?

So, because we're no longer operating in the realm of logic, we can make whatever outlandish predictions we want and they're all equally likely? Well, I guess in a weird sort of way, that might have been one of the goals of Endless Eight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I wanna know too.

Why, they could even inlclude it in the DVD's as a "behind the scenes" extra or something.
Hey, yeah -- forget about the episode content, they could just make a DVD that's "behind the scenes" of making this series of episodes, and that's something I'd buy. If it's generating this much debate here, I can only imagine how much discussion and debate occurred between the creative teams involved in the production. Fascinating stuff.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:35   Link #235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
There are clearly things about this we can't see... reasons for doing these things that aren't released to the public. Logic, however, may turn out to be the reason why they do drop KyoAni like a bad habit. We just don't know.
Well, I guess it's time to turn the chessboard over.

*cough* I guess you're right.

Still, they're pretty much ruined KyoAni's reputation just by doing this. I can't see any reason for it, except that they didn't expect it to backfire this much.

Quote:
So, because we're no longer operating in the realm of logic, we can make whatever outlandish predictions we want and they're all equally likely?
In all honesty, yeah.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:36   Link #236
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Early on there was a rumor that the sponsors were so angry that Kadokawa offered one of the people responsible to them as a sacrifice (fired him). Was there ever any confirmation of this rumor?
This episode pretty much debunked that rumor.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:40   Link #237
Eak
One angry cloud.

Such as waste of episodes to build up a solution that is really, really lame (not to mention extremely short).
Old 2009-07-23, 16:49   Link #238
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Voted a 1, as usual.

They should do a commentary that you usually find on DVDs, but as a broadcasted episode.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:54   Link #239
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
They should do a commentary that you usually find on DVDs, but as a broadcasted episode.
Why? So people could complain about another "wasted timeslot"?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-23, 17:10   Link #240
Eak
One angry cloud.

But all lameness aside.. animation-wise this one was beautiful. The best so far in my opinion
Closed Thread