AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-07, 21:56   Link #121
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
It's my first time in months checking this subforum and i'm kinda surprised (and glad!) to see Ranka doing bad popularity-wise.
Geez, and i used to think Minmei was annoying back in the days. At least she was charismatic. Now, Ranka..
Old 2008-07-07, 22:01   Link #122
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Exactly.

See, I come from a family of asian women who wear the pants (kind of hilarious actually). When people see me, they automatically put me in that tiresome stereotype of "she's asian so she must be passive." Oh bullshit...I've been breaking that stereotype ever since I was a wee tot. I just refuse to give in to that cliche....and that is what I see in Ranka, and it upsets me to no end.

So for me, Sheryl is a character that I can easily relate to. Both of us have the tendency to say what's on our minds...and yes...in the corporate world it really does ring true and it's so difficult to do that in a Japanese company but I have done it and seen it so many times. I'm just the type that refuses to be anyone's lap dog or doormat so I appreciate these kind of traits in her.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Heh, I come from a family, also Asian, where my sister has the strongest personality and my mom controlled the family so I too am used to that type of woman so it grates on me to see someone who is a doormat simply because they don't have testes. On the other hand, I am about as passive and laid back as you can get. Sheryl's strength is quite an attractive personality trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
I like to go meta It's fascinating.

Ah, personally, I'm more a Ranka type, the thing is, I aspire to be a Sheryl, in a way
That and yes, Sheryl is a wonderful example of a strong modern woman, but she's still very feminine and often act her age. She also is mostly independant to the male character (for now), and it really pleases me. It may seem like a paradox, but the more a female character acts like an "independent heroine", the more I will support her. At least, I know Sheryl will never need a man for financial support
Of course Sheryl is the perfect sugarmama for Alto since she can support him his quest for an endless sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
It's my first time in months checking this subforum and i'm kinda surprised (and glad!) to see Ranka doing bad popularity-wise.
Geez, and i used to think Minmei was annoying back in the days. At least she was charismatic. Now, Ranka..
I think Minmei may have something to do with Ranka's lack of popularity. Frontier draws upon quite a large fanbase from those who saw the original Macross and Ranka reminds many of us of Minmei. Consequently we may subconsciously transfer the bias from her to Ranka. Plus I'm not sure the moe-loli plays as well with the older fans.
Old 2008-07-07, 22:06   Link #123
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I don't know what is up with this submissive bullshit. Because whatever the older people are telling us about women is outdated eons ago. I've not met a single submissive Asian women since I was born.

And if anyone gives you that image, they are lying.

Any idiot knows that it is the Asian women who control the household, the finances, the affairs and how their husbands should behave in public! Yeah, cross one and you'd be sorry.

Rule of thumb kids: The prettier the Asian women, the scarier they get. This is coming from personal experience, heed it boys, heed it.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-07, 23:07   Link #124
ani_d

Girl talk much? Well I'm definitely female and I'm in my 20s, and in reality, I want to be like Sheryl, but....despite all that, my homegirl in this series turned out to be Ranka. lol Sheryl just started on the wrong side of the hood for me. Just for this show though. There were other shows where my fave always tend to be the tough girls---like Ryoko from Tenchi or TIFA. I choose female faves in the show based on how the story portrayed them. That's why 90% of the time, my faves are the girls who had strong first impressions on me. ^__^

I've seen older females choose Ranka in forums too, and like Zalem said, I noticed Ranka's fandom has more female in it than males. It might be because females don't get charmed by Sheryl's looks so when the story portrays Ranka as the underdog, a lot of females--especially around her target age--sympathize with her. This is probably just one of those reasons since we all know this isn't true for every female out there. If Macross F were a shoujo and Ranka/Sheryl have male equivalents, of course I'll tend to gravitate to the hotter guy (Sheryl) too. Although looking at the story, I'll still say the less hotter guy (Ranka) will end up with the main lead, and may win my favor near the end with his charms.

There's a lot of factors that contribute as to why fans pick a character, so stereotyping won't really get us anywhere. I roll my eyes at stereotypes.
Old 2008-07-07, 23:37   Link #125
aldw

I'm just more keen on Sheryl's personality than Ranka's, although I like them both.
Old 2008-07-08, 00:22   Link #126
.Mero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I don't know what is up with this submissive bullshit. Because whatever the older people are telling us about women is outdated eons ago. I've not met a single submissive Asian women since I was born.

Any idiot knows that it is the Asian women who control the household, the finances, the affairs and how their husbands should behave in public! Yeah, cross one and you'd be sorry.

Rule of thumb kids: The prettier the Asian women, the scarier they get. This is coming from personal experience, heed it boys, heed it.

- Tak
You can leave the "Asian" out of that sentence man. Rule of thumb for all woman.

*mumbles something about great looks and great responsibility* ....
Old 2008-07-08, 00:27   Link #127
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I'm Asian woman in my late 20's and well, if I were to be equated to Sheryl in terms of personality, I'm actually quite submissive. But only to a certain point. You only have to be scared of women if they want you bad and they can't have you. Or if you did something bad to warrant the scorn, or a misunderstanding.

Ranka is the first moe-loli that I have encountered whom I like a lot, and I am a fan who sometimes avoid moe-lolis like they are some kind of disease. I mean, I tolerate them, but I wouldn't actually go out on a limb to succumb to absolute moeism or loliism. So it really does not fall on stereotyping fans to a certain spectrum.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Old 2008-07-08, 00:37   Link #128
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mero View Post
You can leave the "Asian" out of that sentence man. Rule of thumb for all woman.
Nope, no, I must insist on leaving 'Asian' up there. Its a lil' difficult to explain, but once you encounter it, you will know.

Especially Japanese women. Those have brains the function of super computers regardless of education level.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 00:50   Link #129
.Mero

Quote:
Nope, no, I must insist on leaving 'Asian' up there. Its a lil' difficult to explain, but once you encounter it, you will know.

Especially Japanese women. Those have brains the function of super computers regardless of education level.

- Tak
Haven't seen any major differences in my personal experience though ^^ but we are derailing :P

Wonder what the stats would be if there was only 1 vote possible, then i'd be at a tough Klein - Grace crossroad, probably tipping over to Klein.

Been watching back early episodes late night, and the big face shots of Klein in Ep 7 and 9 when entering/in combat just put a smile on my face ^^
*note to self, make sig out of those shots
Old 2008-07-08, 00:52   Link #130
zalem

If it was a single vote, then Sheryl would take mine hands down.
Old 2008-07-08, 00:53   Link #131
Tak

If it was a single vote, yeah, Sheryl for me as well.

Between Sheryl AND Milia would be a tad bit difficult, though.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 01:06   Link #132
.Mero

Quote:
If it was a single vote, yeah, Sheryl for me as well.

Between Sheryl AND Milia would be a tad bit difficult, though.

- Tak
Why? everyone knows Milia is the nr1 Macross woman of the entire franchise besides she looks way better in a flightsuit then Sheryl ever wil
Old 2008-07-08, 01:08   Link #133
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mero View Post
Why? everyone knows Milia is the nr1 Macross woman of the entire franchise besides she looks way better in a flightsuit then Sheryl ever wil
You brought up a good point. After all, Milia has, urm, an entire fleet at her disposal. I really don't want to mess with that.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 01:09   Link #134
magnuskn

Well, my single vote *went* to Sheryl. If IŽd only read the poll rules before deciding...
Old 2008-07-08, 01:18   Link #135
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

- Tak
Most Asian women I've run across, tend to be the more submissive type. Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc. Now another Vietnamese friend of mine, his g/f is his equal in every way(owns her own business too). I don't think it's as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be.

I like my women strong, and my equal. I also like it if they are willing to be playful with me, as it can make things interesting in the areas that keep couples together(i.e. intimately). My ideal woman would be a worker like me, who likes anime, animals, music, and fast cars. If she's willing to drive fast cars(and even race with me at the tracks) all the better.
Old 2008-07-08, 01:21   Link #136
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Most Asian women I've run across, tend to be the more submissive type. Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc. Now another Vietnamese friend of mine, his g/f is his equal in every way(owns her own business too). I don't think it's as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be.
I am mainly speaking from the perspective of the receiving end. That is vastly different than a 3rd person observer. Serious.

As I said before, what you see is usually a facade. Once they vented it out on you, alone, is a vastly, vastly different story.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 01:31   Link #137
.Mero

Like Tak says. They know the game, and they play it wel.
Old 2008-07-08, 01:37   Link #138
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
I am mainly speaking from the perspective of the receiving end. That is vastly different than a 3rd person observer. Serious.

As I said before, what you see is usually a facade. Once they vented it out on you, alone, is a vastly, vastly different story.

- Tak
They don't grow tentacles or anything do they? Cuz... that would be kind of hot, actually.
Old 2008-07-08, 01:38   Link #139
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
They don't grow tentacles or anything do they? Cuz... that would be kind of hot, actually.
Does mental tentacles count?

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 01:55   Link #140
Chase

Sheryl and Klan Klan
Battlefield 4
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite