AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-11, 16:17   Link #201
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
...But seriously. Haruka scene at the beginning is really good. I think I'm in love with her (and her voice)....
The voice of Haruka is 28-year-old Masu Nozomi, who was Ginko in Kurenai. I loved that voice and character, too.

The show is complex and interesting, so far.
Spoiler for ep2:
@MercFH -- The story is of a girl (Yuki) who is just making her debut as an idol soon after graduating from highschool and starting college. Will becoming an idol interfere with her relationship with her boyfriend? Will the top idol Ogata Rina be a help to her, a rival, or both? What will her boyfriend's relations be with the other two interesting girls he knows, the upperclassman and the younger tomboy? I'm enjoying it so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 18:40   Link #202
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The show is complex and interesting, so far.
Spoiler for ep2:
This is why I love the show so much. The first ep was a bit gloomy for my taste, but in this second episode we finally get to see the characters sparkle, with Rina as a glittering diamond.

Spoiler:
There are so many ambiguous scenes in this show, and I'm completely spellbound by it. Music's wonderful, art is wonderful (particularly the slice of crayon animation where Rina sticks out her tongue!), and the voice acting is exquisite (Rina's "ii no?", Misaki's "ryoukai" ending the phone call). Need ep 03!
Old 2009-01-11, 21:21   Link #203
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I am pleasantly surprised about episode 2
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 21:57   Link #204
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Now on to episode two. If I wasn't sold by the first episode, this definitely seals the deal. Although Haruka still seems out-of-place (a la 4-D), I'm enjoying most of the other characters. Especially our lead. He seems to be polite and is likable to most other girls, rather than being a harem lead just for the sake of it.
Spoiler for Episode Two:
Old 2009-01-12, 04:38   Link #205
Mentar
Banned

Alright, to put it in the words of dahl_moon,

"this seals the deal".

I'm already willing to give this show a big thumbs-up and a full recommendation as early as episode 2 (something fairly rare, I usually tend to wait at least 2-3 eps longer). I already thought that ep1 had potential and that it seemed to be going in the right direction, but I'm absolutely convinced that we have a winner here after episode 2.

In a nutshell, we have a serious romance drama of a couple of young people who are just stepping into life. Touya and Yuki are an established couple that is gradually shifting apart - Touya as slacking university student and Yuki as busy Idol-in-the-making. Yuki's energetic best friend Rina already is a prominent idol and already seems bound to become a major rival to her in terms of romance (she set her eyes on Touya), and soon probably in terms of stardom. A selection of friends connected by a fairly detailed web of relationships round out the cast.

What are the major selling points I see?

1) Complex, and sometimes complicated story. You need to use your brain and stay awake. Many bits of relevant information are hidden throughout the episodes, and you need to be on your toes to catch them. Compared to the normal standard of "even the trivial stuff is explicitly spelled out 3 times so that even the biggest dork understands", this is a refreshing change of pace in my eyes. And as a fansub encoder who has to watch each episode 3 times on average (which can become a real chore sometimes, think AkaneIro), it's also enjoyable that you can still find new details on the 3rd rewatch.

2) Mature characters with mature issues. Yes, they're not yet adults, but at least we're finally out of the happy-go-lucky high school student bubble.

3) Excellent use of in-frame "thoughts". Especially beginning in episode 2, you aren't just shown the dialogue between characters, but often enough their _thoughts_ while conversing. And these thoughts often enough are entirely different and add alot of extra depth. In other anime, this tends to be done by "thoughtspeech" interrupting the flow. Here it's like you get a second line of information directly. I like this approach VERY much.

4) Good atmosphere. Both the visuals and the presentation manage to convey a feeling of wistful melancholy very well.

5) Reversed flow. Instead of suffering through alot of awkward "main characters clumsily and gradually try to get together" early on, we're starting with a steady couple and rather see it shifting apart with Yuki not noticing and Touya unable to express it well. And with a wide selection of other girls showing general interest in Touya (Rina, Haruka, Misaki), this is going to bode well for the drama aspect.

In a nutshell, if you don't like drama in the likes of KimiNozo, School Days or True Tears, stay away. But if you do, DEFINITELY give this show a whirl. You'd miss out otherwise. I'm 95% confident that this is going to become a winner.

Example of a scene handled very well from ep2:

Spoiler:

Looking forward to ep3 alot! (Which will probably be delayed a bit because 3 Eclipse members will attend the Uppcon meeting - see Fansubber board).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 04:39   Link #206
arkxkra
全力全開

erm, quite a good episode. feel complex, but it interesting for me, make me want to continue chase.
I was like why so many girl falling to Touya.
Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2009-01-12, 05:09   Link #207
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
About your questions...

Spoiler for ep2:
I think it's like this:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-12, 17:44   Link #208
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

The thought that kept running through my head for most of the ep was, "oh no!" for obvious reasons. I greatly enjoyed this ep, moreso than the first one. We get to see a lot more each character's personality.

Like Yuki is maybe overly sensitive and perhaps takes Touya for granted. I clearly see she's trying to make the relationship work, but i don't think she sees how much Touya is putting in on his side and the pain he feels from her not being around.

The scene with Haruka really hit something deep down, just because it was so innocent and sweet. Its somewhat of a rarity in shows I've recently watched. I'd have to liken it to True Tears, because its the other down to earth love story that was amazing in recent times.

Misaki hasn't been developed much yet, but i can't help but think that the illness is more than a flu? At the same time, Akira kind of makes me sad because everyone knows he's trying hard for her, but his self-confidence isn't there. The part with the cheesecake shows that he supports Touya and perhaps puts his friend above himself.

And finally Rina. What is there to say about her... She was great this ep. She has the idol side where she's commanding and very Sheryl like, but then like Sheryl, she also has that softer, more sensitive side which she showed fully when talking to Touya. I loved the way she came on to Touya. delicate, yet obvious. She knows what she's getting in to, because she's well aware that he's Yuki's boyfriend...

The ending of the ep resounded quite loudly with me. Touya's rejection of his dad, Yuki's (probable) attempt to call him, and finally Rina's success at it. I think Yuki missed him, then Rina called later and got him. And because of that unfortunate event, this show will be AMAZING and gut wrenching for the other 11 eps in it. "And so it begins.."

ps, we have what, a love pentagon?

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-01-12 at 17:56.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 17:54   Link #209
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I still don't have a clear sense of Yuki.
Spoiler for ep2:
Come to think of it, Rina's character isn't all that clear yet, either. Three cheers for ambiguity.

I am now committed enough to this show to have made a characters & seiyuus page, with pics of each main character and their voice actor.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 18:33   Link #210
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
I still don't have a clear sense of Yuki.
Spoiler for ep2:
Hmm...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-12, 19:18   Link #211
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I just love the fact that scenes where nothing happens, and the scenes where something does are just as good as each other. Also the technique that uses the ED animation for the close up shots are so beautiful. Very 80s.
Old 2009-01-12, 20:46   Link #212
faust123
I Beat Cherry Blossom

Really beautiful series, and I love what I am seeing thus far. I think the comparisons to true tears are fair in terms of tension and atmosphere, just may be turned down a little in terms of intensity (up to this point). I felt like I was watching something with potential after ep1 but not I am pretty certain that I will watch this until the end.

Spoiler for ep2:
faust123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 07:59   Link #213
Peanutbutter

Two things I've picked up while watching episode 2.

Spoiler:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 09:33   Link #214
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
well episode 2 was interesting yet complex. Yuki said she was happy thats why she was crying but an explanation was never given. Rina asked her if she was ok but after that no more explanation was given i can only assume that it will be explained later. Yuki seems to be a very sensitive girl and its obvious that she does care for Touya but not knowing what problems hes going too and their inability to communicate with each i can see problems in the future.

Haruka is an interesting character yet she seems complex im not sure what her motivations are for anything. The scene where she randomly shows up at Touya's door and says to lets go for a walk was out of the blue. I also did not understand Touya's suddenly saying no and closing the door in her face only to check back later. There relationship seems very complex. Im anticipating more background into Haruka' personality and what drives her.

Misaki its just a given for me at this point that she has either fallen or will fall for Touya. Her happy expression just from a simple phone call showed her emotions on her sleeve. Even with her being sick she didnt want to get off the phone another land mine waiting to happen.

Rina who's outgoing personality appeals to me so far is becoming my favorite character even not knowing much about her. She accustom to getting her way and when she wants something shes like a bull charging. Her and Yuki disguises were hilarious neither of them could breath LOL. Now i was very VERY surprised that she asked for Touya's number only after about 6 min of chatting with him and only after Yuki had left. Does she find Touya that interesting? does she find him attractive? is he just a toy? I can see where the drama is going to come into play here. The looks shes gave Touya while asking for his number and when she left showed me this is not just a flirtatious one time encounter. That was shown at the end of the episode with her calling the first chance she got.

Yuki better watch out a girl like Rina whos confident not shy and very beautiful could steal a mans heart in instant. The childish and in my opinion not very emotional goodbye could be signs to Rina that their relationship might be that secure. She was even surprised that Yuki didn't take any chance to say a meaningful goodbye. Rina could think that Touya is fair game and if Yuki is strong enough to keep her man then she doesn't deserve him.

Im not sure what direction any of the characters are going in and its way too early to tell but im enjoying it so far. I think episode 5 we should start seeing the shipping and im pretty sure i know i will be rooting for.
Old 2009-01-13, 11:13   Link #215
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Saw the second episode and...

Two thumbs up! And considering the show looks like they're about to absolutely destroy the childhood friend couple, that's saying a whole damn lot from me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 11:21   Link #216
faust123
I Beat Cherry Blossom

One thing that i still find really intriguing and unexplainable is....

Spoiler for mystery:
faust123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 11:52   Link #217
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Apparently an entrance of a love interest = WATERCOLOR.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 11:55   Link #218
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

nah, i think that Touya will be an idiot in the coming eps. just watch.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 12:06   Link #219
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Haven't really felt any flaws from the rest of the cast, namely, Haruka and Misaki. If the show does show their flaws, again, I think we'll be in for one hell of a ride.
Really?

For me Haruka is just "crazy" and Misaki tries to hard for someone who just isn't interested. I even thought she was playing "the sick act" to get his attention

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2009-01-13 at 14:01. Reason: sleepy XD
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 13:10   Link #220
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
and Haruka tries to hard for someone who just isn't interested. I even thought she was playing "the sick act" to get his attention
Don't you mean Misaki?

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen